PDA

View Full Version : Sox and Tigers close to Lugo Trade

homie564
11-16-2008, 02:47 PM
The Boston Globe's Nick Carafdo believes the Tigers are "contemplating a deal with Boston to send either Nate Robertson or Dontrelle Willis for (Julio) Lugo, but some money issues must be resolved."

It's a deal that's been whispered for a while now, but it's still unclear if there's really anything to it. Lugo is owed $18 million over the next two years, while Robertson is due $17 million and Willis is set to earn $22 million. Especially after factoring in the cash, Robertson looks like the more attractive property. However, his ERA has gone from 3.84 in 2006 to 4.76 in 2007 to 6.35 last season.

rotoworld

mark1125
11-16-2008, 04:02 PM
If we could do it for Nate, I guess I wouldn't be tooooo pissed. Lugo is a bad contract too, but at least he has some speed.

EdTheRevelator
11-16-2008, 04:17 PM
:laugh2: Let's trade my garbage for your crap!!

If you guys could get rid of Dontrelle though, that would be a big coup.

Lionsforlife
11-17-2008, 09:25 AM
I can't believe I am saying this, but I would rather re-sign Renteria than trade for Lugo. Lugo has been worse than Renteria in his last two seasons with the Sox. His defense is diminishing as well. Obviously it is for platoon purposes, but I think we could get Renteria cheap, he would be a better option. I'm just not a Lugo fan.

Of course, getting rid of one of the lefties contract would be a plus.

mattd24
11-17-2008, 11:24 AM
Lugo is an absolute bum! give santiago the job - he's 10 times better than lugo and that is saying a lot! Nate and Dontrelle are horrible contracts so Dombrowski thinks he's doing a good thing by dumping them for a useless SS with an equally bad deal!?

.139 was Lugo's average with runners in scoring position...are you kidding - MY average was higher!

KEEP SANTIAGO!

brokenleg7
11-17-2008, 11:44 AM
The Sox are in need of a lefty SP. They are big on signing projects (Colon, for example). Willis is less of temptation than Robertson, but the most attractive thing is to be getting rid of Lugo. I still think he has some life left in him, but they have a young SS in Lowrie, and need a fourth starter.

The only thing is the fact that Willis and Robertson command a lot of money, and with the chance to sign a big name (Teixiera, for instance) and get that 3-4-5 big bat, you might question signing a project in Willis or Robertson. Tough call.

Bondomania
11-17-2008, 12:00 PM
Robertson, wasn't horrible until about July.. his ERA was steadily coming down, and he was pitching better... however, he got rocked hard starting in about July..

brokenleg7
11-17-2008, 12:05 PM
He certainly has more upside than Willis. Although, I don't think Willis is done. I just think that Robertson has more left to offer a team willing to gamble on him.

RelaxedFan
11-17-2008, 12:07 PM
Houston fan here....
Would the same deal work if we gave Miggy for Willis? Is that fair?

brokenleg7
11-17-2008, 12:13 PM
Tejada for Willis and what TWO players?

RelaxedFan
11-17-2008, 12:17 PM
Brokenleg7-

I don't know how the rest of the country judges Miggys, but are you saying Miggy would get us Willis plus two of your players?

Detroit70
11-17-2008, 01:06 PM
lugo is a terd! If were gonna pick up a short stop get jack wilson. Better glove, hitter, team player. Lugo will steal a few bases and thats about it.

brokenleg7
11-17-2008, 01:59 PM
I think that Tejada still has some game. His numbers have been slipping over the past few years, but he can still play. If you were to give up Tejada for Willis, straight-up, you would be flat-out gambling. Willis is still a serviceable LHP. Serviceable. Key word there. He could fix things, as he is only 26-27 years old. But, I think more is the fact that he has not been healthy. That, in itself, is what would scare me off.

RelaxedFan
11-17-2008, 03:37 PM
thanks for the imput. i, as a houston fan, would like to see something larger between Houston and Detroit. Miggy, Ty and Jose Valverde could all fit into openings on your team and you have the SP we need.

4GIVEBILLBUCK
11-17-2008, 04:14 PM
It says thinking about the trade, not close

brokenleg7
11-17-2008, 05:42 PM
I have a friend at EEI, and he said that this rumor has some legs. We'll see....

Tragedy
11-17-2008, 06:01 PM
He certainly has more upside than Willis. Although, I don't think Willis is done. I just think that Robertson has more left to offer a team willing to gamble on him.
I disagree. Willis is just 27 years old, and not THAT far removed from great seasons. I personally do not like Dontrelle nor have I ever, but the potential to get better IS still there, no matter what others believe. I understand he was brutal this past season, but that doesn't mean he can't turn it around.

A Lugo for Dontrelle deal would heavily favor the Red Sox, which is why I don't think it gets done.

Bondomania
11-17-2008, 06:52 PM
Dontrelle showed signs of coming out of it in september and he pitched fairly well late in Sept. therefore i wouldn't want to give up on him, because i think he can still turn it around and be a 15 game winner

EdTheRevelator
11-17-2008, 06:57 PM
Willis still walks way too many guys to be considered a solid option.

Nizzle20
11-17-2008, 08:50 PM
Lugo? seriously? Santiago is younger, faster, cheaper and significantly better on defense. I dont understand this trade.

mark1125
11-17-2008, 09:56 PM
Lugo? seriously? Santiago is younger, faster, cheaper and significantly better on defense. I dont understand this trade.

Problem is that the world envisions Santiago as a perfect utility player. He does what is best for the team. He accepts his role, plays good defense, bunts, makes contact, etc.

I would love to see him eearn at least a platoon role with a decent player to back him up. Lugo isn't it. I like Santiago. If he could get 400 at bats and hit .240 with stellar defense (at a bargain price) I would be ahppy as a clam.

hoog
11-18-2008, 08:12 AM
I just don't get the Lugo deal and why anyone would like it. The guy is a horrible SS in the field and his bat stinks. Yea, he'll steal some bases but his range is said to be worse than most MLB shortstops and if you look at his fielding percentages for the last three years (.953, .968, .945 at SS) they are way worse than Renteria (.978, .977, .972) or Cabrerra (.975, .983, .978) who are said to have lost their fielding advantage. Lugo bats worse and fields worse than the guy we just got rid of for the same reasons? Does that make sense to anyone?

Bondomania
11-18-2008, 11:53 AM
i definitly agree hoog.. i think it is more swapping bad contract for bad contract and hoping a change of scenery will help one of them bounce back.. i think trading for Lugo is a horrible idea.. i would much rather try and trade robertson for khalil green either that or just trade Robertson for some piece of crap prospect to dump salary

JackB
11-20-2008, 08:36 AM
So whats the latest on this deal? Have the Tigers come to their senses?

mark1125
11-20-2008, 08:41 AM
So whats the latest on this deal? Have the Tigers come to their senses?

I haven't seen anything new. I don't see it going down. The only way I would want to do it is if they took Sheffield of our hands.

Tragedy
11-20-2008, 11:56 AM
I haven't seen anything new. I don't see it going down. The only way I would want to do it is if they took Sheffield of our hands.
No way we take Sheffield AND Dontrelle. Trades like this are always just your crap for our crap. Robertson or Willis for Lugo makes a level of sense because we could use an extra SP (one that we can work on), while you guys need a SS.

It's not a pretty trade, but it DOES make sense. However, I doubt it ends up happening.

Yes, We Deliver
11-20-2008, 03:33 PM
It's way too early to give up on Dontrelle. Wait to see how he does with a new pitching coach.

If this deal goes down, it should be done during the season, not before the season.

Robertson for Lugo on the other hand, I wouldn't be up in arms over. Both have had good stretches and bad stretches, but Dontrelle has had Cy Young stretches; we know he's at least capable of it. Whether he can duplicate that, only time will tell.

I think the Tigers organization would much rather give up on Robertson, because they didn't trade away their future to get Robertson; It's not a swipe on his ability, just the fact that I doubt the Tigers want to admit that having Dontrelle in the deal was a mistake. I don't think they're willing to do it yet.

mark1125
11-20-2008, 06:55 PM
No way we take Sheffield AND Dontrelle. Trades like this are always just your crap for our crap. Robertson or Willis for Lugo makes a level of sense because we could use an extra SP (one that we can work on), while you guys need a SS.

It's not a pretty trade, but it DOES make sense. However, I doubt it ends up happening.

I agree. I don't see it happening either. I was saying I would rather take on someones crap if they take Sheff. Not Sheff and Willis. The Sox definately don't need Sheff.

Super.
11-20-2008, 09:22 PM
i hope this gets done....lugo in my opinion is terrible...and D-train was terrible last year, i can see him being a low risk, high yield grab like colon

lol its crap for crap, but for sheffield to..hmm if he wants to be a back-up maybe, ive always loved sheff, even styled my batting stance of of his

JMDTM
11-26-2008, 08:28 PM
i would not trade either pitcher. both could do good here. Willis is still young and if he gets his control back, then he can be deadly. If we can find another starter, both can play bull pen rolls.