PDA

View Full Version : Why All-Star voting is unfair

Sports Illustrator
11-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Kevin Garnett and LeBron James were the top two vote-getters for last year's All-Star Game. This season, however, an unproven player from China is expected not only to cut into their vote total but also challenge them for a starting forward spot. The All-Star ballot was released last week and included New Jersey second-year forward Yi Jianlian. The 7-foot, 238-pounder was traded to the Nets in the offseason after struggling during his rookie season with Milwaukee. Yi has shown signs of being a future star, but he averaged just 10.5 points and 7.6 rebounds through his first eight games this season. Not All-Star numbers. But he will likely benefit from strong voting among the 1.3 billion basketball enthusiasts in China. If he is voted in as a starter, it could rekindle the debate over the fairness of the system.

From Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2008/11/16/in_dallas_green_grows_into_the_job/?page=2)

NYMetros
11-16-2008, 10:58 AM
I hope to God Yi does not get in as a starter. That would be extremely pathetic.

I'm not really sure how you could make the system more fair though. Maybe just have coaches and the media vote?

Hellcrooner
11-16-2008, 11:12 AM
The only way to make it fair woudl be that only PLAYERS vote ( and hav to vote for players on other teams ).

IM really hoping to see Yue star over kobe and Yi over Lebron to see if finally mr Stern reacts and end the stupid people votings.

Nighthawk
11-16-2008, 12:25 PM
WHO CARES is what i say.....JUST LEAVE IT....The game means nothing..... REALLY....Its for the FANS...All star games are just celebrations. Something FUN....IF 1.3 million ppl in China are voting for Yi and are going to watch thats more money for Stern. He wont change it. Who really cares if Yi starts. Honestly...Will the NBA be ruined???? No....No big deal to me.

MiamiHeat
11-16-2008, 12:27 PM
He won't be starting, I know Chinese people are smarter than to vote Yi as the starter

KB24PG16
11-16-2008, 12:32 PM
He won't be starting, I know Chinese people are smarter than to vote Yi as the starter

i dont think even think yi should be at the all star game

OY!
11-16-2008, 12:41 PM
lol i would love to see the all star game get so messed up and have players like YI at starting PF and Sun yue at PG and everything. that would be hilarious :laugh2:

SouljahPhil...
11-16-2008, 12:52 PM
that's what I hate about the voting process...

FromDallas
11-16-2008, 12:58 PM

I don't undstand why you guys are in so much denile. The NBA All Star game has never been about talent. It's strictly a popularity contest. Generally the best players are the most popular however talent really has nothing to do with who's voted in as starters. Yi will without doubt start in the All Star game. He has over 1 billion people voting for him (potentially).

GSRaider
11-16-2008, 01:03 PM
Vote Andris Biedrins.

Leading the league in rebs.

16.8 pts 14.8 rebs

Lakersfan2483
11-16-2008, 01:07 PM
From Boston Globe (http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/articles/2008/11/16/in_dallas_green_grows_into_the_job/?page=2)

It will be a travesty if Yi Jianlian starts in the all-star game.

Lakersfan2483
11-16-2008, 01:08 PM
The voting system needs to be changed.

Lakers4ItAll
11-16-2008, 01:13 PM
The Allstar game is for the Fans so if the Fans vote him in the so be it.

dbow1920
11-16-2008, 01:16 PM
this is why i hate allstar voting..its rediculous.....theres this, and in the nhl players from canadiens lead all 6 positions

Devils05
11-16-2008, 01:57 PM
To really challenge the system everyone should vote Marbury as a starting East guard. His first time playing this season would be in the All Star game

_Sn1P3r_
11-16-2008, 02:18 PM
I don't want to see him start the game. Yet alone be in the all-star game.

sunsalltheway03
11-16-2008, 02:52 PM
The All Star Game is for the fans. So if thats what the fans want to see, then thats what will happen. I love basketball, but the All-Star game doesn't even intrigue me that much anymore. So whatever happens, let it be.

If we were to not let the fans vote, then the NBA would be shooting themselves in the foot, because who do you think is a very large chunk of their support?

Conor
11-16-2008, 03:02 PM
It's unfortunate. Andris Biedrins has been the best center in the Western Conference thusfar, but he will never get the starting job as long as Yao, who has not been quite so impressive this season, is playing.

Hellcrooner
11-16-2008, 03:13 PM
easy solution, forget about boring west vs east and put some pride into it make it World vs Team Usa.

American fans vote Team Usa and World Fans vote Team World ( that can easily be done taking on account where is seeded the Ip of the computer).

JIDsanity
11-16-2008, 03:23 PM
easy solution, forget about boring west vs east and put some pride into it make it World vs Team Usa.

American fans vote Team Usa and World Fans vote Team World ( that can easily be done taking on account where is seeded the Ip of the computer).

That's the cockiest thing ever. USA is good, but leave that for the Olympics

The solution is to take him off of the Ballot, since no one believes he is all star worthy. That simple. It's not hard to do, at this rate someone straight out of D-league could sway a large group of people to vote him onto the ballot, and into game.

goku
11-16-2008, 03:53 PM
It's unfortunate. Andris Biedrins has been the best center in the Western Conference thusfar, but he will never get the starting job as long as Yao, who has not been quite so impressive this season, is playing.

its only been 10,11 games now biedrins is the best center he get his pts mostly off of dunks and put backs it aint like he gets double teamed night in and night out

stevefrancis
11-16-2008, 03:57 PM
well id rather see yi in the game than bosh havin his spot takin over by kg for sentimental reasons same with al jefferson watch shaq get his spot.

stevefrancis
11-16-2008, 04:00 PM
they should also bring back the old timers game like they had in the early 90s or was it 80s but it was fun to watch to see if those old legends still had game. who doesn't want to see jordan wilkins magic bird hakeem ewing etc play a fun pick up game.

superkegger
11-16-2008, 05:40 PM
oh well. **** happens. maybe they should fix the ballots. Why is he on the ballot as it is. He's done nothing to warrant being on the ballot while udonis haslem is not. Fix the ballot so guys like Yi, who have no business getting even a single vote to go to the all star game, don't get voted in.

Lakers4ItAll
11-16-2008, 05:42 PM
I hope no players make a stupid video trying to get fans to vote for them like Bosh did last year

SteveNash
11-16-2008, 06:05 PM
Could they at least wait until the first results start showing up? I doubt Yi will be in anything but the Rookie vs Sophomore game this year.

JordansBulls
11-16-2008, 06:07 PM

If Yi makes it then they will eliminate the voting next year.

Lakers4ItAll
11-16-2008, 06:18 PM
Yep

If Yi makes it then they will eliminate the voting next year.

OY!
11-16-2008, 06:44 PM
this is what the starting lineup for the east should look like,

PG: Chris Duhan
SG: Stephen Marbury
SF: Lebron James
PF: Yi
C: Mark Blunt

that lineup would be funny as hell lol.

Giaps
11-16-2008, 06:47 PM
I saw the writing on the wall last season. I posted this about the very same subject back in January: http://www.prosportsdaily.com/forums/showthread.php?t=176757

December 20th via NBA.com: (http://www.nba.com/features/ballot_east_forwards_071220.html)
The Write-In Star

Yi Jianlian, Milwaukee
Averages: 10.3 PPG, 5.8 RPG, 0.9 APG; Total PRA: 17.0
Breakdown: After the first returns, Yi ranks fifth among Eastern Conference forwards with almost 100,000 votes, despite his absence from the main ballot. He has exceeded expectations thus far and with his popularity, he'll likely appear in multiple All-Star Games down the line, but this is probably not his year.

December 31st via SI.com: (http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/drew_packham/12/31/rookies/index.html)

Is it just me, or does anybody else have a big problem with this All-star balloting structure? If Yi was actually on the ballot then he would be voted in as an all-star in the East. Come next year and probably the next 10 years after that, Yi will probably be starting in every all-star game because he'll be voted in each time. Now Yao has something similar, but he is without a doubt a top 2 center in the west. Yi on the other hand will be ahead of a ton of other better forwards in the east. He may end up being one of the best or not, but either way you should all expect to see him starting in the game for a very long time. I definitely think the NBA needs to look at this voting structure if they want to hold onto whatever little credibility being an NBA all-star still holds.

How do you guys feel about this?

MiamiHeat
11-16-2008, 06:56 PM
this is what the starting lineup for the east should look like,

PG: Chris Duhan
SG: Stephen Marbury
SF: Lebron James
PF: Yi
C: Mark Blunt

that lineup would be funny as hell lol.

it would be funny
but it would never ever happen
the NBA wouldn't allow it

IndyRealist
11-16-2008, 07:03 PM
That's the cockiest thing ever. USA is good, but leave that for the Olympics

The solution is to take him off of the Ballot, since no one believes he is all star worthy. That simple. It's not hard to do, at this rate someone straight out of D-league could sway a large group of people to vote him onto the ballot, and into game.

Youtube video, here we go...

pete_one
11-16-2008, 07:48 PM
let him start if he does get voted in to start, and the east coach take his *** right out of the game with the first dead ball. hell, the east coach should immediately call a timeout and substitute yi. LOL

SAVAGE CLAW
11-16-2008, 07:56 PM
If he starts and im the coach i ask the other four players to call a time out at the same moment they grasp the ball for the first time sit Yi for the whoel game and when its seconds to finish i call another tiem out and let him in while the rest of the players remain sat in the floor .

IndyRealist
11-16-2008, 07:57 PM
I'm amazed that anyone thinks there's any integrity to the all-star game, at all. It's a popularity contest, they barely practice together, they play no defense. It's all just for fun. So if a billion chinese want to see Yi play in the all-star game, so be it. It's recognition of the player's popularity, and obivously Yi has a lot of fans.

LeBrowns
11-16-2008, 09:53 PM
If Yi starts there will be a huge uproar from fans in the states. Yi is a solid player, but he's not even close to being an all star, let a lone a starter over LeBron or KG.

Nighthawk
11-16-2008, 10:00 PM
If Yi starts, THERE WILL BE NO CHANGES....Its not like David Stern and the NBA will be losing money with Yi starting. NBA is Global...USA isnt the only place where basketball is seen. If Yi gets voted in its WHAT THE FANS Want...Which is what the All star game is all about. I DONT CARE cuz all i really watch is the festivities before the game. 3pt shootout, skills comp, dunk contest.. The game is meaningless.

LeBrowns
11-16-2008, 10:03 PM
If Yi starts, THERE WILL BE NO CHANGES....Its not like David Stern and the NBA will be losing money with Yi starting. NBA is Global...USA isnt the only place where basketball is seen. If Yi gets voted in its WHAT THE FANS Want...Which is what the All star game is all about. I DONT CARE cuz all i really watch is the festivities before the game. 3pt shootout, skills comp, dunk contest.. The game is meaningless.

No because then the game turns into racial politics. The chinese don't want Yi in because he's good, they want in him because he is Chinese. Same thing with Yao Ming. Yao is an all star but he normally receives the most votes because he is chinese.

Kaptain Kanada
11-16-2008, 10:53 PM
To really challenge the system everyone should vote Marbury as a starting East guard. His first time playing this season would be in the All Star game

That is a great idea! You should start a campaign to get him voted in.

In the NHL last year, there was an internet campaign to have Rory Fitzpatrick (a no-name defenceman in Vancouver) voted onto the starting line-up for the All-Star game. He wasn't even listed on the ballot, so it was all write-in votes. I think he came up 22,000 votes short of being a starter in the game. He was short though... so didn't get an invite.

I think it'd be hilarious to do that in the NBA, get some bum voted into the starting line-up, then they'd have to make a change to the voting system and stop the All-Star game from being a popularity contest.

mrblisterdundee
11-17-2008, 12:36 AM
I hope to God Yi does not get in as a starter. That would be extremely pathetic.

I'm not really sure how you could make the system more fair though. Maybe just have coaches and the media vote?

It would be a lot better if coached and GMs voted, but even they screw up. I think they voted for Dirk to be MVP when he couldn't even pull down 20 and 10 on a team that got emberassed by the wild card in the first round.

SteveNash
11-17-2008, 01:03 AM
That is a great idea! You should start a campaign to get him voted in.

In the NHL last year, there was an internet campaign to have Rory Fitzpatrick (a no-name defenceman in Vancouver) voted onto the starting line-up for the All-Star game. He wasn't even listed on the ballot, so it was all write-in votes. I think he came up 22,000 votes short of being a starter in the game. He was short though... so didn't get an invite.

I think it'd be hilarious to do that in the NBA, get some bum voted into the starting line-up, then they'd have to make a change to the voting system and stop the All-Star game from being a popularity contest.

People were tyring to put Antoine Walker into the ASG but the NBA blocked it.

http://www.allstarshimmy.com/Make_‘Toine_an_All-Star/Home/Home.html

SAVAGE CLAW
11-17-2008, 01:36 AM
Well contrary to what im reading YES it has importance who makes the all star since it is something that usually comes up in comparisons of players, My player a is better than you player b because he was in 15 all stars and yours in 14 blah blah.

And its also a way to rate player, Zutanito is an Allstar and Menganito isnt so Zutanito is Better now. Blah Blah.

Of course this logic must lead you to say stupid things like James Donaldson>Wayman Tisdale .

But well thats another Story...

Fans in Asia
11-17-2008, 03:23 AM
From my (Asia) perspective,

99.95% Yao will be voted as the starter

85% Yi will be voted as the starter

95% Sun Yue won't appear in All-Star game, Chinese are not that hardworking to key in "Sun Yue" everyday; and they will think two Chinese players are enough for All-Star

Another Jazz Fans in Asia
http://jazzfansinasia.blogspot.com

LAKERS 24/7
11-17-2008, 03:35 AM
http://www.slamdumb.com/c4.php

Mallpha
11-17-2008, 10:19 AM
If Yi makes it most likely he will play like 5 mins or maybe less since all in all coach decides whos on the court and in the final it wont matter if he made it or not.

cubulls
11-17-2008, 10:27 AM
If the NBA ever has a Chinese player at each position then it will be an all Chinese starting line up :D

Hellcrooner
11-17-2008, 11:10 AM
SOme team shoudl sign an Hindi Player.

nygiants242
11-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Haha if Yi makes it, I'm going to laugh so hard

:laugh:

Hellcrooner
11-17-2008, 11:13 AM
hey lets write in Jerome James!!!!

Kaptain Kanada
11-17-2008, 06:22 PM
People were tyring to put Antoine Walker into the ASG but the NBA blocked it.

http://www.allstarshimmy.com/Make_‘Toine_an_All-Star/Home/Home.html

Yeah, but Starbury is actually on the ticket. This is doable.