PDA

View Full Version : Offensive Basket Interference and Put Backs

CaptainCool79
11-15-2008, 08:32 PM
Alright so i have a bet with a friend and im looking for some input on this. We all know the offensive interference rule states that if any of the ball is above the "cylinder" created by the rim it cannot be touched. I believe that the majority of put backs in the NBA occur with the SOME PIECE of the ball in the cylinder. This doesn't have to be 3/4 of the ball or half the ball. I'm talking about even a centimeter of the ball in some cases. So to be very clear, here's the question..

Are the MAJORITY of the putbacks in the nba actually offensive interference, by definition of the rule?

Lakers4ItAll
11-15-2008, 08:40 PM
No or else the Refs would call it just that

jetsfan28
11-15-2008, 08:42 PM
Just by the naked eye, I've never examined it, I'd say most aren't, but there are definitely some that should be called but aren't.

CaptainCool79
11-15-2008, 08:43 PM
No or else the Refs would call it just that

haha i highly doubt that you want to base your opinion on NBA refs calls...that's all im gonna say about that.:D and for everybody else, remember that we're talking any amount of the ball. not just the obvious half or more of the ball.

IndyRealist
11-15-2008, 08:47 PM
The general interpretation of the rule is that if the ball has any chance, at all, of going in then it's interference. If the ball is coming back out of the cylinder then they don't call it, even if it is still partly in the cylinder.

MGB
11-15-2008, 09:44 PM
I actually agree with the OP to some extent, I always notice putbacks that are still blatently over the rim, but it's usually not called.

CaptainCool79
11-15-2008, 10:19 PM
The general interpretation of the rule is that if the ball has any chance, at all, of going in then it's interference. If the ball is coming back out of the cylinder then they don't call it, even if it is still partly in the cylinder.

I agree. So therefore there are many instances where the ball is still partially in the cylinder on a putback.

Kyben36
11-15-2008, 11:01 PM
Here are the Rules

Basket Interfearence is When the ball is on the Downward slope or at the Vertex of its travel. At Its vertex the ball can not be touched. It does not matter how far up the ball travels. As long as its on the Upward Slope you can block it. But as soon as it hits the Vertex you can not. Which is very hard to tell in real time speed. So many times refs get this call Wrong. AS for Putbacks, the ball has to be More than Half way out of the Cylinder. or on the Outside. It can be Putbak Unless its leaning inward or Strait up. As long as the Ball is not Inward Leaning or sitting strait up then a player can go after it. But If the defender goes after it on the Rim its an Imediate Basket interference. No matter what the Direction of the Ball. Kinda unfair to the defender.

Ethix11
11-15-2008, 11:40 PM
The way i see it, if the ball touches the rim first then you can't have an interference any way you look at it. Either its going in or its going to bounce. If it touches the backboard first any where on its square and then you touch it, then you have an interference because technically its over the rim without touching the rim itself first.

CaptainCool79
11-15-2008, 11:43 PM
Here are the Rules

Basket Interfearence is When the ball is on the Downward slope or at the Vertex of its travel. At Its vertex the ball can not be touched. It does not matter how far up the ball travels. As long as its on the Upward Slope you can block it. But as soon as it hits the Vertex you can not. Which is very hard to tell in real time speed. So many times refs get this call Wrong. AS for Putbacks, the ball has to be More than Half way out of the Cylinder. or on the Outside. It can be Putbak Unless its leaning inward or Strait up. As long as the Ball is not Inward Leaning or sitting strait up then a player can go after it. But If the defender goes after it on the Rim its an Imediate Basket interference. No matter what the Direction of the Ball. Kinda unfair to the defender.

Is that the actual rule?? If i could get that text straight from the rule book I would be completely right in my argument/bet.

Kyben36
11-15-2008, 11:58 PM
^ I think So. I dont know where this rulebook is but I beleive that as long as the ball has no more chance of entering the Rim its a Legal putback. But as for a Text out of a Rulebook IDK where you would find that.

Here is the Rule taken from Wikapedia

In basketball, basket interference is the violation of (a) touching the ball or any part of the basket while the ball is on the rim of the basket or within the cylinder extending upwards from the rim, (b) reaching up through the basket from below and touching the ball, be it inside or outside the cylinder, or (c) pulling down on the rim of the basket so that it contacts the ball before returning to its original position. It is important to note that how the ball gets into the cylinder or onto the basket is irrelevant; e.g., a throw-in touched within the cylinder is basket interference, even though such a play could not score a goal.

However, that does contradict what I previously said about being able to touch the ball While on the Rim, But I think the Refs May just let the players get away with it for the Highlights. But the Rule does mention that it can not be on the Rim. But I know what you are saying in that Players do it all the time. It sits on the rim and they tap it in.

CaptainCool79
11-16-2008, 12:38 AM
Thanks for the info. yea i think at least the majority of put backs are to some extent above the cylinder.