PDA

View Full Version : Should Zach Randolph be Dwight Howard's back-up in the All-Star game?

mrblisterdundee
11-15-2008, 06:11 PM
Zack Randolph only plays center under D'Antoni, so there's no arguing about his position. So far, he and the Knicks have made a big turnaround. Meanwhile, he continues to put up marvelous statisitcs every game. I know it's early, but Randolph is one of the most consistent players in the league. He should be listed as a center, and be eligible to back up Dwight Howard at the All-Star game.

The only other logical choices might be Horford or "Sheed," who aren't doing nearly as well. Jermaine O'neal is running on nothing but reputation. Forget about all the other eastern centers, because they all suck.

SensandRaps
11-15-2008, 06:15 PM
ya and randolph doesnt suck just two months ago their was an offer for randolph for a second round pick his value hasnt gone up that much and he shouldnt make the all star team

mrblisterdundee
11-15-2008, 06:17 PM
ya and randolph doesnt suck just two months ago their was an offer for randolph for a second round pick his value hasnt gone up that much and he shouldnt make the all star team

Please explain to me why Zack Randolph isn't the second best center in the east.

Yung N Fly
11-15-2008, 06:19 PM

So a guy averaging 20 and 12 a game sucks? Than i guess alot of players suck to u.... if u were to look at all the centers in the east's #'s u would see the only person wit better number is Dwight Howard

HOZ THE KNICK
11-15-2008, 06:19 PM
zack is the 2nd best center in the east for sure...

JC_
11-15-2008, 06:23 PM
He is playing really well this year so far. Everytime I think of the guy I think about this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j1q6osDAEc though and how he looked like he didn't give two ***** last year so we'll see if he keeps it up.

SensandRaps
11-15-2008, 06:28 PM
So a guy averaging 20 and 12 a game sucks? Than i guess alot of players suck to u.... if u were to look at all the centers in the east's #'s u would see the only person wit better number is Dwight Howard

no i admit randolph has been playing good so far but how long will it be until he hits a slump, ruins team chemistry, whines about playing time and his stats start sucking. remember even the knicks fans wanted his head at the beginning of the season

Devils05
11-15-2008, 06:31 PM
How good does he have to be before you learn how to spell his name?

As far as backups go you don't have to be an official center to be the backup center.

IndyRealist
11-15-2008, 07:04 PM
He's always been a beast on offense, but defensively he's been lacking in his career. I don't know how's he's playing these days, but his reputation alone might keep him out, since backups are picked by coaches and not by fans.

The only other name that comes up is Andrew Bogut (10/10/1/1/1).

BowDown32
11-15-2008, 07:30 PM
No!!

Chronz
11-15-2008, 07:36 PM
ask this question again in january

JermanJaysFan
11-15-2008, 07:38 PM
Zack Randolph only plays center under D'Antoni, so there's no arguing about his position. So far, he and the Knicks have made a big turnaround. Meanwhile, he continues to put up marvelous statisitcs every game. I know it's early, but Randolph is one of the most consistent players in the league. He should be listed as a center, and be eligible to back up Dwight Howard at the All-Star game.

The only other logical choices might be Horford or "Sheed," who aren't doing nearly as well. Jermaine O'neal is running on nothing but reputation. Forget about all the other eastern centers, because they all suck.

I think averaging 21 and 11 with 3 assists over the last 2 games kind of flies in the face of that. I know 2 games is a dinky sample size, but it seems like he has found his groove and figured out how to mesh with this O. Not saying that he is a better C than Randolph in all-star terms, but he is def. doing more than just reputation.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-15-2008, 07:40 PM
Nice to see ZBo playin like his old self.

Yung N Fly
11-15-2008, 07:59 PM
He's always been a beast on offense, but defensively he's been lacking in his career. I don't know how's he's playing these days, but his reputation alone might keep him out, since backups are picked by coaches and not by fans.

This year his d is a big upgrade.

gregd111
11-15-2008, 08:19 PM

All stars arent picked based on their trade value the summer before.

michaellui11
11-15-2008, 08:33 PM
what about brian scalabrine then?

Lakers4ItAll
11-15-2008, 08:39 PM
I voted no because he isnt a C he's a PF

MiamiHeat
11-15-2008, 08:41 PM
Keep Zack Randolph a power foward, and out of the all-star game.

HOZ THE KNICK
11-15-2008, 09:09 PM
i don't understand why so many people hate zack so much when i could name a 100 bums that all ways get a free pass.

madiaz3
11-15-2008, 09:12 PM
no i admit randolph has been playing good so far but how long will it be until he hits a slump, ruins team chemistry, whines about playing time and his stats start sucking. remember even the knicks fans wanted his head at the beginning of the season

it wont happen. he's NEVER played as team oriented and non-detrimental while still getting his numbers as he does now. Honestly this is the most disciplined i have ever seen him. this extended to preseason as well

madiaz3
11-15-2008, 09:15 PM

his defense is actually no longer bad, but average. It won't be the reason you lose a game provided he's guarding someone comparable. the fact we dont have a center is the only reason TD or any elite will go crazy on us, not zach.

jetsfan28
11-15-2008, 09:22 PM

All-Star voting is determined by trade value?

Anyway, backups aren't determined by fan vote, so he will be eligible to be backup C.

Kyben36
11-15-2008, 09:29 PM
Only 1 reason I say No. He is unathletic. Not saying he sucks athleticly but The allstar game is about Flash. Players like Dwight, Bosh, Kobe, Wade, Bron, Melo, AI, CP3 and D Will. All Flash type playres. The fact of the matter is that I have only seen Randolph dunk once.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybM4U8ylv8g
The Point is, That half of the Fun of the allstar game is watching players play Bad D and Letting other stars get Highlights. Allyoops, Dunks, And the Defense just watching them Go in for it nearly uncontested.

Lakers4ItAll
11-15-2008, 09:47 PM
Bosh n D Will are not flashy players

IndiansFan337
11-15-2008, 10:01 PM
How good does he have to be before you learn how to spell his name?

As far as backups go you don't have to be an official center to be the backup center.

Precisely. The coaches vote for that spot.

Incase you all forget who the East's backup C was last season: Chris Bosh.

Yes, Sheed got appointed right before the ASG as a replacement, but he was not voted in as the coaches choice for the backup C position.

ShaunRiching9
11-15-2008, 10:21 PM
no way in hell he should be in the all star game.

SensandRaps
11-15-2008, 10:35 PM
All-Star voting is determined by trade value?

Anyway, backups aren't determined by fan vote, so he will be eligible to be backup C.

no what i was trying to say that his trade value was down in the summer cuz of bad play, no to little defence and *****ing at teamates and ruining team chemistry. Im pretty sure if now his play is better it doesnt make up for other things. No player would want him on the all star team cuz of his attitude. An allstar game is mostly for fun and Randolphs attitude will ruin that. Also he probably wont get voted in as starter so im pretty sure the east coach wont pick him because they wont want to deal with him. D'Antoni probably doesnt want to deal with him but has no choice. Also Randolph is a power forward not a center. So unless D'Antoni is the coach of the east team Randolph isnt making the all star team.

Fury
11-15-2008, 10:41 PM
the eason just started how about we hold off on the all star game predictions

JAZZNC
11-15-2008, 11:25 PM
There's a lot left to already be talking about a guy who's a perennial loser to make the all star team.

Raps18-19 Champ
11-16-2008, 09:38 AM
He should be listed as Center

No doubt about it that he is doing good but i don't think that the gms(or whoever chooses backups) would choose Randolph

dudeonthemoon
11-16-2008, 10:20 AM
who else is there at center in the east ???? Nobody who can play like Zach

madiaz3
11-16-2008, 11:20 AM
no what i was trying to say that his trade value was down in the summer cuz of bad play, no to little defence and *****ing at teamates and ruining team chemistry. Im pretty sure if now his play is better it doesnt make up for other things. No player would want him on the all star team cuz of his attitude. An allstar game is mostly for fun and Randolphs attitude will ruin that. Also he probably wont get voted in as starter so im pretty sure the east coach wont pick him because they wont want to deal with him. D'Antoni probably doesnt want to deal with him but has no choice. Also Randolph is a power forward not a center. So unless D'Antoni is the coach of the east team Randolph isnt making the all star team.

this is where you're wrong. dantoni has well....DEALT with him. Randolph is more inspired to try and play team-ball than he ever has. I know you have never watched a full knicks game this season but dantoni has almost transformed the psyche of nearly every Knick. for example nate robinson is no longer a showboating out of control and reckless shooter. He has poise, he passes up shots and he makes smart plays. It's funny what a new coach, especially one not named Isiah Thomas can do for you.

29$JerZ
11-16-2008, 11:27 AM
I say yes if he keeps it up, I'll disregard all the obvious Knick bashing and just state that only Player in the East who is putting up better numbers than Zach as of now Is Dwight Howard.

WIll it continue? Maybe but as of now he would get my vote.

GSRaider
11-16-2008, 11:35 AM
Vote for Andris Biedrins for the West. He's leading the league in rebounds and he's had a double double in every game this year.

16.8 pts and 14.8 rebs

goku
11-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Vote for Andris Biedrins for the West. He's leading the league in rebounds and he's had a double double in every game this year.

16.8 pts and 14.8 rebs

yao and shaq maybe bynum will be at center in ther allstar game

goku
11-16-2008, 11:39 AM
its early wait till january

jetsfan28
11-16-2008, 11:39 AM

No, the biggest reason his trade value was down is an absolutely terrible contract. Those things were also contributing factors, but the contract was a huge factor, which is why trade value is completely irrelevant.

jkiddvc20
11-16-2008, 12:11 PM
To be honest I have always hated Zach Randolph but the way that he is playing this year is really all star quality. Like it has been said he is by far the 2nd best center in the east behind Howard and his defense has improved vastly. 21 and 12 is nothing to joke around with and if he keeps it up deserves to be in the ASG.

Giaps
11-16-2008, 03:03 PM
Zach as an all-star = hellooooooo trade value

Good job by not getting raped, Walsh.

Mallpha
11-16-2008, 07:23 PM
I always found it hard to lista player as a true center when he shoots below 50% more of a forward forced to play a center for me so question is since theres always lack of pure great centers can we list forwards plaing center as one - personaly as far as he plays center for his team i have nothign against it

Giaps
11-16-2008, 08:10 PM
Well, at half-time right now vs Dallas, Randolph has 20 points, 11 rebounds, 1 assist and shooting 67% fg, 100% 3p

AT HALF-TIME.

madiaz3
11-16-2008, 11:38 PM
27 points, 18 rebounds on 50% shooting tonight.

starting to sound like less and less of "just a few games"

mrblisterdundee
11-17-2008, 12:31 AM
I think averaging 21 and 11 with 3 assists over the last 2 games kind of flies in the face of that. I know 2 games is a dinky sample size, but it seems like he has found his groove and figured out how to mesh with this O. Not saying that he is a better C than Randolph in all-star terms, but he is def. doing more than just reputation.

Those were fluke performances for O'neal. The only area he's better than Randolph in is blocking shots. O'neal's talent level is barely better than Ben Wallace's these days, which means he's fallen off quite a bit.

theimortalone
11-17-2008, 02:07 AM
Zach has been very impressive lately! He deserves.

amare#1
11-17-2008, 02:39 AM
I think he should be backing up Dwight. Randolph has been great lately. Such good value for fantasy!

TMAC94
11-17-2008, 07:34 AM
20 and 12 yeah yeah

J-Relo
11-17-2008, 10:13 AM
All-Star Weekend = entertaiment

Zach = back to his form, but not entertaining at all...

so if he gets his place at PF, than let it be but if not then he is not worth it...

ChitownbullsBG7
11-17-2008, 10:20 AM
All-Star Weekend = entertaiment

Zach = back to his form, but not entertaining at all...

so if he gets his place at PF, than let it be but if not then he is not worth it...

See and if you look at it from that standpoint then there are guys that are getting snubbed.

Although i agree Randolph isnt a center and shouldnt be voted as in the Allstar game but the fact remains the guy is 100% the second best player at the CENTER position in the EAST.

nygiants242
11-17-2008, 10:57 AM
Yeah, why not? His stats are off the charts right now and D'antoni stressed he would work him into the system and that he would be a great player. Look what happened fellas:

20.8 ppg, 12.9 reb

pebloemer
11-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Those were fluke performances for O'neal. The only area he's better than Randolph in is blocking shots. O'neal's talent level is barely better than Ben Wallace's these days, which means he's fallen off quite a bit.

He just followed up those two "fluke" performances with an 11 point, 18 rebound, 2 block game. His offense was off, but he was a game changer on defense and the boards. He has had really only one bad game in his last 5, so I am not sure what player you are watching (or if you are even watching at all).

Back to thread topic though: If the All-star game was tomorrow, I would have Zbo there.

Marius
11-17-2008, 11:16 AM
Please explain to me why Zack Randolph isn't the second best center in the east.

Zach Randolph is a chucker with an attitude problem. He plays in a system that allows you to get your shot off in 7 seconds or less.... he played like crap with Isiah, look at Amare, he still excells in a slower pace, Randolph's ego is waaaaaay bigger than his numbers, and if anyone will be a backup, if he gets his 18/10 a night is Jermaine O'neal, because he can actually block shots, and get big boards... 18 rebounds on a team with a starting lineup of 3 7 footers. Not on a team that has WIlson Chandler as a starter.

NYstateofMinD
11-17-2008, 11:30 AM
I think Z Bo deserves consideration for the all star game but he's up there with Sheed and JO.

Giaps
11-17-2008, 02:08 PM
Zach Randolph is a chucker with an attitude problem. He plays in a system that allows you to get your shot off in 7 seconds or less.... he played like crap with Isiah, look at Amare, he still excells in a slower pace, Randolph's ego is waaaaaay bigger than his numbers, and if anyone will be a backup, if he gets his 18/10 a night is Jermaine O'neal, because he can actually block shots, and get big boards... 18 rebounds on a team with a starting lineup of 3 7 footers. Not on a team that has WIlson Chandler as a starter.
Wow, hater. Your negativity doesn't change the fact that Randolph is having a MUCH better statistical season and more importantly, his team is playing well. I hate when people talk trash yet haven't watched a minute of the Knicks play.

Randolph
20.8 ppg, 12.9 rpg, 1.4 apg, 1.3 spg, 44 fg%

O'neal
12.9 ppg, 8.7 rpg, 2.2 apg, 1.7 bpg, 40 fg%

Get real, hater. Bosh is your star. Not O'neal.

BK-TY
11-17-2008, 02:16 PM
He's probably better than Sheed AND JO.

Draco
11-17-2008, 02:18 PM
Strange how it only takes 10 games for people to fall in love with a career loser. Zach might actually have a good season. Sure, put him on the All-star team for all I care. Just keep the trade rumors in NY and keep Zach away from the Chicago.

Giaps
11-17-2008, 03:01 PM
Strange how it only takes 10 games for people to fall in love with a career loser. Zach might actually have a good season. Sure, put him on the All-star team for all I care. Just keep the trade rumors in NY and keep Zach away from the Chicago.
Last I checked all-star games rewarded players for the current season and not their entire careers. And don't worry, we'll hold onto Zach for now. We have 2 years to trade him and I'm in no rush to trade him unless we get fair value. Walsh knew what he was doing when he didn't let other GMs fleece him this summer.

HOZ THE KNICK
11-17-2008, 03:04 PM
why do people hate zack so much?

HOZ THE KNICK
11-17-2008, 03:05 PM
Last I checked all-star games rewarded players for the current season and not their entire careers. And don't worry, we'll hold onto Zach for now. We have 2 years to trade him and I'm in no rush to trade him unless we get fair value. Walsh knew what he was doing when he didn't let other GMs fleece him this summer.

im with you :clap:

Draco
11-17-2008, 05:19 PM

That's fine but it wasn't the point I was making. Perhaps the guy is good for an allstar appearance but that's where the love ends AFAIC. Like Vince Carter, I don't care what his stats are these are players you can't win with (read: winning playoff series.)

However, I'll contest the point that Zach deserves an allstar appearance after just 10 games. While I'm not certain that allstar determinations are set in stone this early in the season I strongly suspect that's not the case. Do I think Zach will continue to have a productive season with the Knicks? There's probably a good chance. So again, put him on the allstar team for all I care but he's not fooling anyone about his long term value.

Which teams had interest in Randolph during the summer? According to what source? If that info is coming strictly from NY media outlets I take it with a grain of salt. Everyone wants to get under the cap in 2010 so the Knicks will probably hold on to him 3 more years.

HOZ THE KNICK
11-17-2008, 05:29 PM
are you trying to down play wilson chandler? don't let me start on the under achievers on your squad

SensandRaps
11-17-2008, 05:43 PM
^^ this coming from a knicks fan :D

HOZ THE KNICK
11-17-2008, 05:46 PM
^^ this coming from a knicks fan :D

what do you mean? :mad:

Giaps
11-17-2008, 05:59 PM
.Which teams had interest in Randolph during the summer? According to what source? If that info is coming strictly from NY media outlets I take it with a grain of salt. Everyone wants to get under the cap in 2010 so the Knicks will probably hold on to him 3 more years.
The Clippers and Grizzlies and they were both confirmed so the opportunities have already presented themselves. Zach's value was at an all-time low (as was every other Knick, even Lee) last season. Walsh/D'Antoni plan is working so far which is to raise the value of every player to eventually get fair value. So, Zach as an all-star would be a miracle for the Knicks because he's not in the longterm plans and there is ALWAYS another team willing to take a chance.

As time passes Zach's value will increase for 5 reasons and I said this months back:
#1) His contract becomes shorter and less expensive every month giving teams less risk
#2) D'Antoni's system will inflate Randolph's stats
#3) If the team is competitive you are no longer negotiating from a position of weakness
#4) Sexual harassment trial, Stephon Marbury, Isiah Thomas, selfish play. All these negative things hurt the team's power to negotiate and breaking that image will increase trade values.
#5) Walsh is not Isiah Thomas and he'll be patient till somebody comes with a decent offer.

HOZ THE KNICK
11-17-2008, 06:08 PM
The Clippers and Grizzlies and they were both confirmed so the opportunities have already presented themselves. Zach's value was at an all-time low (as was every other Knick, even Lee) last season. Walsh/D'Antoni plan is working so far which is to raise the value of every player to eventually get fair value. So, Zach as an all-star would be a miracle for the Knicks because he's not in the longterm plans and there is ALWAYS another team willing to take a chance.

As time passes Zach's value will increase for 5 reasons and I said this months back:
#1) His contract becomes shorter and less expensive every month giving teams less risk
#3) If the team is competitive you are no longer negotiating from a position of weakness
#4) Sexual harassment trial, Stephon Marbury, Isiah Thomas, selfish play. All these negative things hurt the team's power to negotiate and breaking that image will increase trade values.
#5) Walsh is not Isiah Thomas and he'll be patient till somebody comes with a decent offer.

that's the problem these fools still think isiah is running the show

SensandRaps
11-17-2008, 06:11 PM
that's the problem these fools still think isiah is running the show

trust me though it takes a while to get by the problems isiah has created for u a raptors fan would know he was here first :(

HOZ THE KNICK
11-17-2008, 06:15 PM
trust me though it takes a while to get by the problems isiah has created for u a raptors fan would know he was here first :(

he can draft but he can't do nothing else he is just awful

Draco
11-17-2008, 06:22 PM
The Clippers and Grizzlies and they were both confirmed so the opportunities have already presented themselves.

Confirmed by who? What was the trade offer?

I'd assume a very small number of interested teams (if any). Think about the ridiculous contradiction here.. you think that Zach's value to other teams will increase while his value to the Knick's remains low because the Knicks want to get under the cap for 2010 like most other teams.

Perhaps there are a few teams that can absorb his contract and still remain under the cap. I have no idea but I wouldn't hold my breath.

That looks like a reason why Randolph won't be attractive to other teams.

Generally that's true but your team actually has to have a player other teams want in order to negotiate a trade.

Quote from a scout that I've posted at least 2 times before because it's spot on.

Zach Randolph is the type of player who provides production to a losing team. I've seen him win a game by himself. But look at the circumstances of how he was sent to New York: The Trail Blazers were willing to take back Steve Francis and cut him to get out from under Zach, because they had a lot of young, impressive draft picks and they needed to get rid of this guy who was dragging everybody down. He is like the frontcourt version of Stephon.
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/basketball/nba/10/22/knicks/

It's definately a good thing for the Knicks organization that they have a new FO and coach. However, new management won't be able to polish a turd. All of the players on the Knick's rosters have a history of losing. We're not talking one year. Many years and with some players, with many teams. 10 good games doesn't erase that. I'd venture to say that an entire season of good behavior and good performance won't erase that. It's not a good thing when you actually have to monitor a players behavior as well as their performance.

Missing56&33
11-17-2008, 06:54 PM
if he keep playing like he is now he should be the back up

HOZ THE KNICK
11-17-2008, 07:04 PM
if he keep playing like he is now he should be the back up

he will

rosesbulls
11-17-2008, 07:10 PM
He destroys all chemistry where he goes plays terrible defense and his 20/10 is on the knicks who other then Crawford all stink and no1 rebounds at all so its pretty easy to get a rebound when its bouncing on the floor. Rasheed stats will go up and when they do the pistons will catch fire. The only reason i say he has a chance is because he is in New York were if they rally behind a player he will get in.

dre1990
11-17-2008, 07:15 PM
as of right now hes an all star

HOZ THE KNICK
11-17-2008, 07:19 PM
He destroys all chemistry where he goes plays terrible defense and his 20/10 is on the knicks who other then Crawford all stink and no1 rebounds at all so its pretty easy to get a rebound when its bouncing on the floor. Rasheed stats will go up and when they do the pistons will catch fire. The only reason i say he has a chance is because he is in New York were if they rally behind a player he will get in.
your a funny guy :D

Giaps
11-17-2008, 07:20 PM
LOL @ people with opinions who haven't watched them play this year yet.

madiaz3
11-17-2008, 11:06 PM
LOL @ people with opinions who haven't watched them play this year yet.

Hard to expect that out of certain posters. Respect will come with time.

Mr.Grizzly
11-17-2008, 11:20 PM
Not even close! Zach Randolph is a pig!

D-Leethal
11-17-2008, 11:27 PM
ask this question again in january

Exactly. Right now he is playing team ball, developing great chemistry with the team, and averaging 21 and 13. As long as the Knicks keep winning I don't see any reason he shouldn't be in. Will they keep winning? We'll see in a month or 2.

LOL

HOZ THE KNICK
11-18-2008, 02:46 PM
Exactly. Right now he is playing team ball, developing great chemistry with the team, and averaging 21 and 13. As long as the Knicks keep winning I don't see any reason he shouldn't be in. Will they keep winning? We'll see in a month or 2.

LOLwe will shock the world this season :clap:

dangrant75
11-18-2008, 07:36 PM
Let's wait another 25 games to see if he can continue to play defense. He could always score, he is a consistent 18-25 ppg guy, the rebounding has come as of late but I would be really stunnned if he keeps that up all year. Ultimately it will be Howard with either Bosh or O'Neal backing him up.

HOZ THE KNICK
11-18-2008, 07:42 PM
Let's wait another 25 games to see if he can continue to play defense. He could always score, he is a consistent 18-25 ppg guy, the rebounding has come as of late but I would be really stunnned if he keeps that up all year. Ultimately it will be Howard with either Bosh or O'Neal backing him up.
he average 10 boards in his career so the rebounding was always there

JordansBulls
11-19-2008, 12:56 PM
Or maybe Bosh should be the backup for him if KG and Lebron start.

JayW_1023
11-19-2008, 01:00 PM
I would still pick Sheed because of his defense.

bleedprple&gold
11-19-2008, 05:07 PM

Camby was traded for a 2nd round pick. Does that mean that's all that Camby is worth? Somebody was just trying to take his contract off the Knick's hands for very little in return. And just because the offer is there doesn't mean it correctly reflects his value. He is putting up all-star numbers this year and should definitely be considered.

Giaps
11-19-2008, 07:38 PM
Camby was traded for a 2nd round pick. Does that mean that's all that Camby is worth? Somebody was just trying to take his contract off the Knick's hands for very little in return. And just because the offer is there doesn't mean it correctly reflects his value. He is putting up all-star numbers this year and should definitely be considered.
You make way too much sense for this thread.

dangrant75
11-22-2008, 07:28 PM
he average 10 boards in his career so the rebounding was always there

Recently he has, within the last couple of years, since 06' but before that he only averaged 10 once.

No biggy anyway now that he got traded