PDA

View Full Version : NBA power Rankings

hotpotato1092
11-15-2008, 03:06 PM
I'm just curious to see what everybody thinks

The Mid Majors:

30. Oklahoma City Thunder: I've only seen them play twice, but I've never seen a team look so flat. Durant's a great player, and there's definitely potential in Westbrook and Green, but personally I would have picked Brook Lopez last year. They'll probably be a top five team again and would have their pick of Rubio, Jennings and Holiday. While Mullens and Thabeet could be very good centers, I like the rubio-durant-green-lopez nucleus a little better.

29. Washington Wizards: The last team to get a win, They clearly miss agent zero. Is it too early to say they messes up BADLY on the Arenas and Jamison resignings? They're both excellent players, but it seems Gil's always hurt and they've never been a serious contender, I would have rebuilt and Caron, their top 5 picks in the next two drafts and whatever left over star doesn't go to a big market in 2010 (they'd have plenty of cap room).

28. Minnesota Timberwolves: I'm fully aware that they have only won win, but there's definately potential in this team, they play hard every night and Jefferson's a stud. Pair him with Rubio and I guarantee it'll have the "nash" effect on him, just like nash had on amare. Love's looked good and this may be my favorite young team in the league

They "you get the feeling they'll improve at least a bit"s:

27. L.A Clippers: Baron and Camby have both missed time, they basically started the year with two losses because of those two early games against the Laker's juggernaut, and Eric Gordon hasn't quite hit his stride. Once they get all of these guys on the floor together and playing their best, this team is closer to 30 wins then people think.

26. Golden State Warriors: No Monta, No Baron, this team is clearly affected by the loss of their best two players. This who Monta moped incident is hanging over them and you can tell by their play. I think the Monta signing was a mistake, not because he's a bad player, but because he needs a good point guard next to him to set him up or a big man down low to take pressure off him. This team should be rebuilding but Nellie won't allow it. If I were them I'd see if I could trade him to the 'Wolves for Love and a top 5 protected first rounder, again I think he's a fantastic player but they should be rebuilding and he's their main trading chip.

The Old Stalwarts:

25. San Antonio Spurs: Tim Duncan is playing out of his mind right now, but when George Hill is your next option, there's not much you can do. They'll figure it out when Parker comes back, but does anybody else feel a similarity between this year and the year before they got Duncan? Plagued by injuries, the spurs luck into Duncan when their already a contender. Suppose Ginobli and Parker are plagued by injuries all year and they luck into DeRozan or Blake Griffin in the draft, that would set them up for 10 years while keeping them competitive in the present, just like Duncan. If that happens, the spurs will have to claim the title of league's luckiest team ever from the '60s-'80's Celtics

24. Dallas Mavericks: Kidd is done, there's no other way to say it. Dirk is the most unique talent in the league, Josh Howard (although an *******) is a 15-20 point scorer, so is Terry when he gets the minutes, this team should be a lot better, but Kidd just isn't the MVP candidate he used to be. The Maverick's window is closed, unless they get a spurs scenario in which they luck into a top five pick.

The "playing better than they should be but not quite playoff team just yet"s:

23. New Jersey Nets: I'm aware 3-5 isn't a great record, but people were calling this team the favorite in the Rubio-Griffin-DeRozan sweepstakes, the fact that they can even see .500 is a testament to the fantastic play of Devin Harris, he's a stud. Speaking of Rubio-Griffin-DeRozan, has there ever been a year where going in we had no idea who the #1 pick could be. You have the favorites (Rubio-Griffin-DeRozan), the not so shocking's (Mullens, Jennings, Holiday), the fan favorite (Stephen Curry) and the Mutombo clone (Thabeet). That's eight players, it's never this wide open.

22. Memphis Grizzlies: There's no way this team makes the playoffs, I'll just come out and say it, but they have a great young nucleus. Gay and Mayo look like future all stars (Gay maybe even this year), and Conley is a solid young point guard. If they get Mullens or Griffin, this team could be competitive for a long time. If they get DeRozan, they could put him at the 3, slide Gay to the 4 and you have the new most exciting run and gun team in the league (Iavaroni was a D'antoni assistant). There is no scenario in which I'm not psyched about this team's future.

21. New York Knicks: I'm a diehard knicks fan don't get me wrong, but there is no way this team keeps up that level of play, it's just not happening. It's a great story, and D'antoni definitely has them headed in the right direction, but no this is not a playoff team and any fan who thinks they are is delusional. My prediction is 35 wins, COY consideration for D'antoni, and a new record for boos at MSG when they pick an italian forward 10th overall in the draft.

The "OK I'll say it, these teams have no future"s:

20. Sacramento Kings: This team is trapped in 10-15 draft pick purgatory. Not bad enough to get a franchise player, not good enough to make the playoffs. It's the worst position any team can be in. Kevin Martin's solid, Jason Thompson has looked great, but don't kid yourselves into thinking those two are leading to a King's renaissance, They're not Bibby and Webber, and they don't have Peja, Vlade and Christie around them. I expected this team to be in the mid majors group before the year started, but they're still trapped in purgatory.

19. Charlotte Bobcats: Has any team blown as many chances for a franchise player in such a short span. In '04 they chose Okafor over Jefferson, In '05 they could have traded up for Paul or D-williams but didn't so they could pair to overachieving UNC players to sell tickets, in '06 they took Morrison over Gay and Roy, in '07 they traded the #8 pick for the right to have Jason Richardson kill their cap, this team should be competitive right now. Switch any one of those drafts and you have a solid team. As long as MJ's running the show this team will never ever be competitive. Ironically, if they didn't make the Richardson trade they could have signed Baron or Brand, two much better players and still kept Wright, Jordan dropped the ball on that.

18. Milwaukee Bucks. Another team stuck in 10-15 purgatory. They had their chance in '05 when they won the lottery but they picked Bogut over Paul and D-Williams. A Paul-Redd-Jefferson-Villanueva core gets you at least the #4 seed in the east, maybe better. They blew it.

The Disappointment:

17. Philadelphia 76ers: All things considered they aren't that big of a disappointment, considering who they've lost too, but Brand hasn't looked great and Miller's beginning to show his age. Thad Young is a beast though, I put his potential somewhere between Richard Jefferson and LeBron James, he's a future all star and potential franchise player.

The Lottery Beneficiaries:

16. Chicago Bulls: Rose is a stud. He's great. He's god. The stats may not show it (I haven't checked), but he's looking great so far. And yet D'antoni's with the knicks (I'm a huge Knicks fan so YAY), but we'll always be left wondering what if he was coaching the Bulls. We'd get to see how good Steve Nash would have been with him if he were 25 and could put up 25 a game and defend. The bulls missed an opportunity.

15. Miami Heat: Beasley has looked good, Marion's always gonna do his thing, and D-wade is the third best player alive. Chalmers has been a great 2nd round pick, not many 2nd round point guards start, but he has and he's been great. This team has a future. Sign and trade Marion for a center and they could compete as early as next year.

The First Round Victims:

14: Denver Nuggets: Chauncey's only gonna get better in Denver, if he can get Carmelo to play defense he deserves a nobel prize. If he can get Carmelo to play defense AND start passing he should run for president in 2012. Any team with a scorer like Carmelo and a facilitator like Billups is a playoff team, but if you don't think they're just gonna be the Laker's or Hornet's practice for the rest of the playoffs than you should call up Rodman and ask for his recommendation of which asylum you should admit yourself to.

13. Portland Trail Blazers: I give you my condolences. When Oden's been on the floor he's looked like Shawn Bradley. This guy isn't a franchise Center. He may have a decent career, but he wasn't worth the hype. You can just see it in the way he moves, he looks confused out there. If this team would have picked Durant, you'd be looking at a future starting five of Bayless, Roy, Durant, Frye and Aldridge. Considering all of their cap room, they could sign a guy like Carlos Boozer and have a starting five of Bayless, Roy, Durant, Boozer and Aldridge with Fernandez, Frye, Outlaw and Blake off the bench. If Pritchard's reading this I bet he's kicking himself for that blunder.

12. Indiana Pacers: You can't say enough about Danny Granger. He's a stud. He's a Marion but a better passer than scorer. Although I fear this is another 10-15 purgatory team, Granger is a beast. I don't see a title in this team's future, but with Granger they'll be competitive for a long long time. That beatdown of Boston proved it.

The Anomaly

11. Houston Rockets: I'm not sure what to think of this team. They look great one night (like the Mav's game), then look terrible another (like the Laker's game). I know they've kept it close in all of their non laker games, but there's definitely a Dr. Jekyll Mr. Hyde thing going on with them. They looked great at the beginning of the Laker game, but then laid down and let the Lakers obliterate them. This could be a championship team or a first round victim, I really have no idea.

The Fringe Contenders:

10. Detroit Pistons: Joe Dumars is a genius. A pure genius. He wanted to set himself up for 2010 but didn't want his fans to think they couldn't compete now. So he trades for AI's expiring contract. Now they can get swept by Boston in the second round like they would have anyway but they'll be a major player in the LeBron sweepstakes. There's no way they get LeBron, but they'll get somebody to play with Prince, Stuckey and Rip. Joe D. may have missed his first chance at Bosh and Wade, but he's taking advantage of his second. This has been the least talked about element of the AI trade. Maybe Joe wants to fix his '03 mistake by getting one of the guys he should have picked originally, thus exorcising him of the Darko demons. Who knows, but either way, he did an excellent job.

9. Orlando Magic: Dwight Howard is the most unique post up center in NBA history. He can play like Shaq (pure post up), he can Play like Amare (use his ridiculous athleticism to score from anywhere within 10 feet of the basket), and on some nights he can play like LeBron (Get the ball high post and drive). This is another team set up well for 2010. I believe Howard and Lewis are their only big contracts that will still be there. Consider this: what if the Magic sign Amare? A front court of Amare and Dwight? Who could stop them. I'm almost tempted to pray for Bosh to sign with Cleveland and Amare to sign with Orlando just so we could get the incredible Amare and Dwight vs Lebron and Bosh in the eastern conference finals every year. A core of Nelson-Lewis-Amare-Howard would make this team LeBron's chief obstacle for the next 10 years. Please god, I don't ask for much.

8. Toronto Raptors: On any given night Bosh can be the second best player in the east. When he raises his game to its peak, he's better than Howard, better than D-Wade, better than Pierce and better than KG. There's no chance LeBron leaves Cleveland, and I'm guessing Wade stays put to play with Beasley, so for all intents and purposes he's the top 2010 free agent. If they picked Roy instead of Bargnani their the best team in the east. Calderon-Roy-O'neal-Bosh. Oh what might have been. I'd vilify them more for the Bargnani pick if 5 other teams didn't pass on him as well.

The Contenders:

7. New Orleans Hornets: I think Paul's averaging 23-11. Wow. I bet Atlanta and Milwaukee wish they could have that draft pick back. He has a chance to go down as the best pure point guard ever. Better than Isiah. He has mastered the concept of setting up your teammates for the first 43 minutes and taking over in the last five. I don't think there's a smarter player in the east. If you put David West on 90% of other teams (any team but Phoenix, Dallas or Utah) he's basically Ronny Turiad. A solid bench player but by no means a solid starter let alone allstar. You don't believe me? Look at what happened to K-mart when he left Kidd. Exactly. With Paul, West, Chandler, Peja and Posey this team has a chance to push the Lakers to six or seven.

6. Phoenix Suns: I'll admit it, I though they were done. I though the Porter hire was a mistake (I would have hired Avery Johnson). I though Shaq was only about a 12-6 guy now. I though Nash's back injuries would finally catch up to him. I was wrong. Whoever came up with the whole "let's rest Shaq when we have to play back to back nights" is a genius. I think he put up 29-12 last night. Nash is as good as ever and Amare is well... Amare. And they play defense now! Who would have seen that coming. This team is better than we thought.

5. Cleveland Cavaliers: LeBron finally has a sidekick. Mo Williams is perfect for him. With Lebron drawing double teams he can kick it out to Mo who will always hit open shots. When Danny Ferry pulls a Mitch Kupchak and steals Michael Redd from the Bucks for Wally Szczerbiak and a late first rounder in february, this team will be scary. Maybe scary enough to beat Boston. If they realize that they can't win with Ben Wallace's corpse on the floor, they will be all the better. If anyone's beating Boston in the east, It's Cleveland.

4. Atlanta Hawks: The biggest surprise in the league. You could have told me the Bobcats were gonna be this good before the season and I'd believe it before the Hawks. Josh Smith clearly wanted out, Mike Woodson was definately on his way out, and they could challenge the '04-'06 Suns for the title of "worst bench for a contender" title of the last decade. But Bibby has channeled the old '01-'03 version of himself, Joe Johnson is the most underrated player in the league (he's playing better than D-Wade right now), and Al Horford is the franchise center everybody expected Oden to be. Other than Yao, Dwight Howard, Amare and Bynum, is there a center in the league you'd rather have. And yes I know I just said that he's only the fifth best center in the league, but did anybody expect this from him at this point in his career? At any point in his career? I don't see them beating Boston or Cleveland in a seven game series, but they're playing the best basketball of the bunch.

3. Utah Jazz: I know they're 6-3, and Cleveland, Phoenix and Atlanta can all make the claim that they've played better. But remember, Deron Williams hasn't played. With Deron I'm fairly convinced that they're 9-0, at worst 8-1. This is the second best team out west, and this is the year that Sloan win's COY. The one downside for this team is all the rumors of Boozer leaving. That could drag this team down if they get too serious. If I were them I'd try to trade Kirilenko for an expiring contract so they'd have the money to resign him. Maybe Cleveland for Wally? Knicks for Starbury (unlikely since they're building for 2010 but I'm just throwing it out there)? Whatever they do about Kirilenko and Boozer, this is a great team

The Juggernauts:

1a. Boston Celtics: This was the hardest decision I had to make in these power rankings. Ultimately it came down to a loss vs Indiana VS. a loss vs Detroit. By next week they could switch, but this team is on a collision course towards a rematch with the Lakers in the finals. I think the two most interesting subplots from this team are Rondo's evolution into a franchise point guard and Pierce's quest to be better than Kobe. Rondo is great. He's the perfect point guard for this team. He drives the lane and passes, the perfect contrast to Ray Allen's outside shooting. he'll be the celtics 2nd best player by the 2010-2011 season. Paul Pierce is convinced that he's the best player in the league, and although that clearly isn't true, he's making a convincing argument so far this season. He's being talked about as the MVP (my vote goes to Kobe then Joe Johnson), and rightfully so. I don't think he should win it but he should be in the conversation. My one suggestion to Danny Ainge: give Bonzi Wells a call and see if he'd sign for the veterans minimum. I think their one missing piece is scoring off the bench from the wings, which he'd solve. I know he's a head case, but I think KG could keep him in line for the remainder of the season, especially considering that they'd be competing for a title. This team is better than last year's model and could definately win 70.

1. L.A Lakers: This is the best season opening performance since Dallas started 14-0 a few years ago. The way they have beaten up on some very good teams is just ridiculous. Don't let the seven point margin of victor against New Orleans fool you, they thoroughly out played them from the start. They jump out to huge leads, then toy with you, giving you the illusion that you could come back before they kill you at the end. Kobe's my MVP so far, his commitment to defense and team ball is the Kobe we've all wanted to see since Shaq left, but we couldn't because he didn't have the team around him. Gasol and Bynum is the best 4-5 combo in the league. They're both at least fringe franchise players, and Bynum will be the franchise player by 2011-2012. Odom has also adapted his game to fit the team, willingly coming off of the bench and being an excellent 7th man (I'll explain why he isn't the 6th in a moment). Farmar and Vujacic continue their development into solid guards (they could be a starting combo on a few teams). Fisher continues to provide veteran leadership and great passing. Radmanovic has been a solid starter, and Walton has played well even with limited minutes. But out of all of these players, the most impressive is Trevor Ariza. He has slowly evolved into the matrix 2.0. There is nothing he can't do. When they need scoring, he scores. When they need rebounding, he rebounds. When they need defense, he defends. When they need a big steal, he steals it. He is the 6th man, not Odom. He's always on the floor during crunch time when Odom's sitting on the bench. He reminds me a lot of vujacic last year in that they always seem to be on the floor when it matters even though they didn't start. This team may also win 70, but the western conference won't make it easy. My one suggestion to Mitch Kupchack: give Chris Webber a call and see if he'd be willing to sign for the veterans minimum to be the 12th man. Behind Odom, they don't really have a good big man off the bench (insert Chris Mihm joke here). On nights Odom isn't feeling it, Webber could come in and play 10-15 minutes. He definately wants a title. His biggest weakness is crunch time scoring, but on this team that wouldn't be a problem considering he wouldn't be anywhere near the floor during crunch time. Either way, this team is on a mission. They were embarrassed by Boston last year, and Kobe doesn't like being embarrassed. They're the early favorites, and I have a feeling their gonna be switching places with Boston several times over the course of the year.

Anyway I'm curious as to how I did. If you all like it I'm more than happy to produce more power rankings (I have a lot of free time on my hands). If you have any suggestions as to how I could improve my rankings in future editions (if I make any) I'm definitely open to them.

Bulls4Lyfe
11-15-2008, 03:11 PM
12. Indiana Pacers: You can't say enough about Danny Granger. He's a stud. He's a Marion but a better passer than scorer. Although I fear this is another 10-15 purgatory team, Granger is a beast. I don't see a title in this team's future, but with Granger they'll be competitive for a long long time. That beatdown of Boston proved it.

Really?

daleja424
11-15-2008, 03:16 PM
I can tell you put a lot of time into this.... but the rankings just dont make sense from a numbers standpoint. For instance... NY is 6-3 and you have them behind Sac, Char, etc?!? HUH!?!

BleedGreen1014
11-15-2008, 03:19 PM
pacers are looking good not only is granger playing awesome, but so is tj ford and dunleavy is improved greatly

JC_
11-15-2008, 03:23 PM
I can tell you put a lot of time into this.... but the rankings just dont make sense from a numbers standpoint. For instance... NY is 6-3 and you have them behind Sac, Char, etc?!? HUH!?!

I think his rankings are his predictions of how these teams will be in the long run.. read what he wrote under the knicks. He doesn't think their record will last

JC_
11-15-2008, 03:29 PM
pacers are looking good not only is granger playing awesome, but so is tj ford and dunleavy is improved greatly

Yeah TJ was a big addition for them.. if he stays healthy they will have a very legitimate shot at making the playoffs

hotpotato1092
11-15-2008, 03:31 PM
let me clarify, I tried to rank them by how they are playing now but in some instances I just couldn't. I think we all know that the knicks aren't keeping this up so I just couldn't rank them top 15. I'll admit they should be a bit higher (that was a mistake on my part), but for those of you have read my posts in the jets forum you know I'm fairly pesimistic about my own teams. If I make more rankings and in a month they're still playing this well I'll put them much higher, but for now I just couldn't

IndyRealist
11-15-2008, 03:36 PM
On the money for virtually every team I know anything about. One thing though: I'm a pacers fan and I think you have them a bit high, but yes, Granger is a stud. 14-16 instead of 12 is probably more realistic.

daleja424
11-15-2008, 03:37 PM
let me clarify, I tried to rank them by how they are playing now but in some instances I just couldn't. I think we all know that the knicks aren't keeping this up so I just couldn't rank them top 15. I'll admit they should be a bit higher (that was a mistake on my part), but for those of you have read my posts in the jets forum you know I'm fairly pesimistic about my own teams. If I make more rankings and in a month they're still playing this well I'll put them much higher, but for now I just couldn't

If power rankings were about what you expect a team to do though there would be no point in having them every weak. Power rankings are about how teams are performing NOW. Obviously most people agree that NY is over achieving right now, but that doesn't change the fact that they have been one of the best 12-15 teams so far through 3 weeks of the season. Likewise for Dallas. Sure we expected them to be at worst a low seeded playoff team, but that doesn't mean we rank them higher, bc fact is they are the 5th or 6th worst team in the league right now...

daleja424
11-15-2008, 03:37 PM
check out my rankings from last week

link below

$KnicksAndKobe$
11-15-2008, 03:39 PM
judge the knicks because they are 6-3
DON'T JUDGE THEM IF YOU THINK THEY ARE GONNA SUCK

hotpotato1092
11-15-2008, 03:46 PM
Would you all have rather I did what any other knicks fan would have done and ranked them 8 and spent 4 paragraphs talking about how wilson chandler is the second coming of LeBron? I guess I tried a bit too hard to not be biased in favor of my own team, I should have ranked them higher and if they continue this level of play and I make another set of rankings they will be higher.

hotpotato1092
11-15-2008, 03:49 PM
Likewise for Dallas. Sure we expected them to be at worst a low seeded playoff team, but that doesn't mean we rank them higher, bc fact is they are the 5th or 6th worst team in the league right now...

I ranked Dallas 24th. Why complain about Dallas?

JC_
11-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Thx for this, I enjoyed reading the tidbits beside each team and IMO you made it more interesting by not just going to nba.com and copying and pasting every team according to what their current record is.

Epic89
11-15-2008, 03:52 PM
The Pistons are much too low. Anyone watch that game last night?

daleja424
11-15-2008, 03:52 PM
I ranked Dallas 24th. Why complain about Dallas?

oh not complaining about dallas. I was actually saying that u did the right thing by ranking dallas based solely on this year but u didnt do that with the knicks.

J-Relo
11-15-2008, 04:13 PM
Detroit worth to be higher especially after last night...

hotpotato1092
11-15-2008, 04:50 PM
oh not complaining about dallas. I was actually saying that u did the right thing by ranking dallas based solely on this year but u didnt do that with the knicks.

Oh Ok

hotpotato1092
11-15-2008, 04:50 PM
So should I make another set of rankings next week? And also, if anybody here is a gm in the nba redraft I'm looking to be an assistant so if you want one contact me

agobbi17
11-15-2008, 05:27 PM
as for the rockets. All there wins came off pure talent other than the phx suns game. This team needs time to gel. They are all out of sync. Ron Artest is still trying to find his role between mcgrady and yao. Poor shooting and execution at the end of games is whats killing them. Though, they do have the toughest first half of the season schedule, its better for them to play these harder teams now while they're working on chemistry so the second half of the season is on point.

GO ROCKETS

MilwaukeeBAller
11-15-2008, 05:36 PM
The Pistons are much too low. Anyone watch that game last night?

I completely agree. The Hornets and Pistons both need to be ranked higher.

Benjamanic
11-15-2008, 05:45 PM
Indiana's somehow better than Portland? Huh? You're also way off when you rank San Antonio at #25. They've looked bad before early on, only to make deep runs in the playoffs.

Portland's got one of the best benches in the league. We also have four solid options to shoot at the end of the game in Roy, Outlaw, Fernandez, and Aldridge. They've all demonstrated that they have the nerve to hit game-winning shots. Not many teams have that; I'm having a hard time naming 3them off the top of my head.

Rudy will be 6th Man of the Year sooner than later, and LaMarcus has a shot at the All-Star game. Batum will join the ranks of Tayshaun Prince or Bruce Bowen in a couple years but is already a damn good defender, and he's really our 3rd string SF at this point. We don't even know what Jerryd Bayless can do because he's the last in our PG rotation, but he showed he can get to the basket in summer league and play good defense. An injury to a PG just provides an opportunity for a talented player to step up.

Their interior defense is improving and the offense is efficient, though they are suspect on the perimeter and giving up too high a percentage.

How is Orlando better than Portland? Howard is a monster, but they are a poor defensive team from 1 to 3. Rashard Lewis couldn't guard a ficus. Turkolu is a suspect defender as well. I haven't seen anything from them that tells me they're better.

It's way too soon to pronounce Oden a bust. Pritchard's yet to make a mistake so far. And even if he did, the consensus in the draft was that you take the game-changing big man. I don't know how you can call that a blunder, regardless of how it pans out. Drafting Sebastian Telfair was a blunder (wasn't Pritch). Oden hasn't played a basketball game in almost a couple years and is slow-footed at this point, but watch out when he gets his sea legs. The second he got in his first full game he was changing shots. He might not ever be a great offensive player, but his defense and rebounding will be the difference in more than a few of the 50 wins we're getting this year.

The Blazers have the toughest early season schedule in NBA history and have come out of it 5 and 4 so far.

And we're a well-coached team with cap room and an owner with deep pockets.

Maybe we're an early exit from the playoffs, but there are really only 4 or 5 teams (that's a conservative estimate) in this league that they're not more than capable of beating on any given night.

hotpotato1092
11-15-2008, 05:55 PM
I don't think Oden's a bust, but he's not a franchise center. It's not only physically, when he's on the floor he just seems confused. Watch film of Duncan, Shaq or even Yao and they at least look like they knew what they were doing as rookies. If Pritchard calls Presti right now and says "I'll give you Oden for Durant" how long do you think Presti stays on the line? 4 seconds? 7? Durant has looked like a franchise player from the start, Oden has not.

Benjamanic
11-15-2008, 06:05 PM
He just needs to play D, rebound, set picks, and find his way as an NBA player. The Blazers already have a much-improved inside presence in LMA in addition to the shooting he brings, a scorer in BRoy, and good spot-up shooting in Blake and Webster (more consistency is needed from him though). Oden's back-to-the-basket game will come; he was 3 for 3 from the field last night and 5 for 6 from the line isn't too shabby. He had a solid game in limited minutes last night and you could see him becoming noticeably more comfortable getting position and sealing off his man on the block. He probably should have gotten a few more touches inside.

Benjamanic
11-15-2008, 06:17 PM
but look at the team he's playing on. Travis Outlaw or Jerryd Bayless would look like franchise players on that sorry, greedy-weasely-bastard-of-an-owner's team.

Bosh=nextKG
11-15-2008, 06:26 PM
iono bout ur idea of monta being a trading chip, i don't like it unless the dubs would really benefit from it cuz Monta is bout to be a superstar

king4day
11-15-2008, 08:24 PM
Avery Johnson wouldn't have been a good fit in Phoenix. He lost respect in dallas and with the Vets on the Suns, I don't see how things woulda been better.
I wanted Thibeau (spelling) from Boston or Paul Silas.

king4day
11-15-2008, 08:29 PM
19. Charlotte Bobcats: Has any team blown as many chances for a franchise player in such a short span. In '04 they chose Okafor over Jefferson, In '05 they could have traded up for Paul or D-williams but didn't so they could pair to overachieving UNC players to sell tickets, in '06 they took Morrison over Gay and Roy, in '07 they traded the #8 pick for the right to have Jason Richardson kill their cap, this team should be competitive right now. Switch any one of those drafts and you have a solid team. As long as MJ's running the show this team will never ever be competitive. Ironically, if they didn't make the Richardson trade they could have signed Baron or Brand, two much better players and still kept Wright, Jordan dropped the ball on that.

I'm only responding to this one cuz I live in Charlotte and follow them next to the Suns.

Mek was 100% the right pick in that draft. Boston woulda made the same "mistake" had they had the #2 pick. It's easy to say they shoulda taken Jefferson now since he's a budding potential superstar.
I'll give u Roy and Gay. That was MJ's stupidity.
I don't think they coulda drafted up to get into the top 5 to pick D-will or Paul. not sure if any team woulda even done it.

Baron Davis was never going to come here.
Getting Jrich for Branden Wright, to this point, hasn't backfired.
Brand woulda needed a bigger offer than Philly's IMO to come here. Then there would be two PF's with Mek.

hotpotato1092
11-15-2008, 10:27 PM
I'm only responding to this one cuz I live in Charlotte and follow them next to the Suns.

Mek was 100% the right pick in that draft. Boston woulda made the same "mistake" had they had the #2 pick. It's easy to say they shoulda taken Jefferson now since he's a budding potential superstar.
I'll give u Roy and Gay. That was MJ's stupidity.
I don't think they coulda drafted up to get into the top 5 to pick D-will or Paul. not sure if any team woulda even done it.

Baron Davis was never going to come here.
Getting Jrich for Branden Wright, to this point, hasn't backfired.
Brand woulda needed a bigger offer than Philly's IMO to come here. Then there would be two PF's with Mek.

On Okafor: A bad pick is still a bad pick regardless of who made it. The Bulls would have picked Sam Bowie over Jordan if they had the chance but Bowie is still seen as the worst draft pick ever.

On moving up to get Paul or Williams: It was a widely speculated rumor that they'd trade #5 and #13 for #3 (portland had it), but they decided not to. And if you think they wouldn't have accepted it, they traded #3 4 #6 and #27, I think charlotte's offer was a tad better.

hotpotato1092
11-15-2008, 10:28 PM
On free agents: If they had the cap room, they could have gotten SOMEONE to come. I'm not sure who, but they could have done better than richardson.

njnets
11-15-2008, 11:42 PM
i don't like the nets one. not where they are ranked, just because you went off tangent a little bit and talked about the 2009 draft when they have a chance at getting a high lottery pick or 1st round knockout. at least that's what i think. but only talking about devin harris does not tell an average fan about the other young players improving. good rankings though.

hotpotato1092
11-16-2008, 12:18 AM
For a lot teams I only talked about one player. This was because I had a lot to say about them and if I talked about every player who has been impressive on every team it would have taken me five hours. If I ever make rankings again I'll try to focus more on the team then on individual players.

njnets
11-16-2008, 12:29 AM
yea talking about everyone is stupid. but the nets one was off tangent and i thought you could have talked about harris or carter a little more. but again, good rankings. pretty much dead on for the most part.