PDA

View Full Version : Early test

messleetch94
11-15-2008, 01:39 PM
Early test
November 14

Some notes after a spirited practice at the MSG Training Center:

Scott Gomez is still day-to-day with an ankle injury, and didn’t practice today. Tom Renney said he’ll check on Gomez’s status in the morning, so there’s at least the chance he’ll play tomorrow night against the Bruins. But don’t count on it.

Because of Gomez’s absence, the Rangers practiced in the same lines as Wednesday night.

The consensus is that tomorrow might be the biggest test of the year for the Rangers given the Bruins hot play of late (bigger even than their trip to Detroit last month). The Bruins under Claude Julien have won eight of 10, and ripped apart the Canadiens 6-1 last night.

“I was impressed with them when they hired that coach,” Renney said of Julien. “He’s a pretty good friend. We’ve worked together, so I’m not surprised at all.”

How do you explain Dan Girardi’s place among defensive scoring leaders with 14 points?

Like a lot of defensemen, Girardi’s first priority when he was called up to the Rangers after the All-Star break in the 2006-07 season was to just be responsible in his own zone first. Having nailed down that, he’s allowed the other part of his game to slowly emerge.

“I would just say he keeps the game simple,” his defensive partner Wade Redden said. “That’s one of the things he does and he does it very effectively and does everything with authority. And you get rewarded when you play the game hard like that.”

When I asked Redden who he would compare Girardi to, the defenseman said Rob Blake, which isn’t bad for a player who wasn’t even drafted.

It's better to have Gomez sit. Having your #1 center healthy is more important. The Rangers need to start out fast against Boston, who is leading their division. They already lost to a division leader in Washington, so a win is crucial to establishing supremecy in the eastern conference. Girardi is flying under the radar all season, while racking up the points. Very rarely does he make the mistakes that Kalinin and Rosival make. It's a shame that Rosival and Redden are signed for long terms, because Girardi, along with Staal, are the defense ppair of the future.

SLY WILLIAMS
11-15-2008, 04:32 PM
I think all dmen make mistakes but out of all our dmen I have though khalinin (sp) probably has been the most egregious.
Ranger game tonight followed by great mma fight. NOt a bad day for sports. :)

jetsfan89
11-15-2008, 06:03 PM
It's better to have Gomez sit. Having your #1 center healthy is more important. The Rangers need to start out fast against Boston, who is leading their division. They already lost to a division leader in Washington, so a win is crucial to establishing supremecy in the eastern conference. Girardi is flying under the radar all season, while racking up the points. Very rarely does he make the mistakes that Kalinin and Rosival make. It's a shame that Rosival and Redden are signed for long terms, because Girardi, along with Staal, are the defense ppair of the future.

roszival yes. redden is a solid d-man i dont have a problem with him. he has good offensive instincts who knows when to shoot (example was devils game where zherdev scored after), is responsible in his own zone and can make the right play. he isnt spectacular or young which is why people complain about the deal. He along with Girardi will be a solid pair for the next couple of years (i think the top pair will be staal and sanguinetti)