PDA

View Full Version : The East looks better than the West right now ...

JordansBulls
11-15-2008, 11:20 AM
Before the games last night, it was mentioned on ESPN that the East was 24-12 against the West this year.

After last nights games where the east went 5-1 it is now 29-13.

So is the east really better now?

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-15-2008, 11:50 AM
I was thinking that the other day. I did not have the numbers to substantiate my theory but I had noticed a lot of teams in the east winning against the west teams. And the Lakers blew by all the west opponents but lost to the first east team they played. Its possible.

With a lot of the known powerhouses in the west on the decline, its possible the east teams have past them up already.

LakersKB24
11-15-2008, 12:00 PM
I think because the East was so much worse som etime ago, the most top draft picks went to EC teams. Now those high drafted players begin to reach their peak and are superstars in the league (Howard, Bosh, James, Wade etc). So to me it's not as big a surprise that the East is getting better.

jimbobjarree
11-15-2008, 12:04 PM
west has so manyyyy injuries....the Spurs and Jazz are only half strength and I'm sure theres more

mjt20mik
11-15-2008, 12:14 PM
Finally.
I hate people calling the East weak. Now who's the weaker conference?
:p

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-15-2008, 12:21 PM
Finally.
I hate people calling the East weak. Now who's the weaker conference?
:p

Why would you hate it? They were! But in no way is that insulting. I would not mind if the west was weaker for once. It sucks not knowing if 50 wins can get you in the playoffs. It sucks thinking you might have to play the Spurs in round 1. It would be a nice change of pace to be able to coast threw the west and get a free pass to the finals.

I would be happy if the East was 10 times stronger than the west. Let them go through a gauntlet for once.

IndyRealist
11-15-2008, 12:24 PM
Quite a few East teams made major moves, and consolidated talent from rebuilding teams. Most West teams either stayed put (i.e. Lakers, Blazers, etc) or took a step back (Utah, San Antonio, etc). Only a few West teams got better (Rockets, Suns....and...ummm...Rockets...). In the East, Indiana, Chicago, Atlanta, Miami, New York, Cleveland, and Milwaukee all got better. Philly and Detriot are up in the air as to whether they got better. Boston, Orlando, New Jersey, and Charlotte pretty much stayed the same. Only Washington is doing substantially worse than last year.

madiaz3
11-15-2008, 12:35 PM
No, at the most you can call them equal, but the east isn't better.

Sox Appeal
11-15-2008, 12:43 PM
The West is still the superior conference over the East, but the gap between them is defiantly closing. Last season, the East seemed to be a 2 team race between Detroit and Boston, this season, it looks like there's going to be at LEAST 5 teams that are capable of winning the conference. (Boston, Detroit, Cleveland, Atlanta, and Toronto)

IndyRealist
11-15-2008, 12:46 PM
No, at the most you can call them equal, but the east isn't better.

As of today, the East is a combined 73-57. The West is a combined 58-74. Source is NBA.com (http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Cnf.html)

EDIT: The West is 45-45 in conference, meaning that they are 13-29 against the East.

jgonboricua
11-15-2008, 01:02 PM
yea, just wait till the bulls get in the picture... ;)

lakers4sho
11-15-2008, 03:00 PM
A lot of the West powerhouse teams are on the decline, while many teams in the East have rising stars. That explains the closing of the gap.

madiaz3
11-15-2008, 05:19 PM
As of today, the East is a combined 73-57. The West is a combined 58-74. Source is NBA.com (http://www.nba.com/standings/team_record_comparison/conferenceNew_Std_Cnf.html)

EDIT: The West is 45-45 in conference, meaning that they are 13-29 against the East.

Still too early in the season, I don't think enough top tier west have played enough top tier east teams. Also my "they are equal" was subjective, I didn't mean statistically at least this early in the season in terms of matchup #s.

bbcmillionaire
11-15-2008, 05:28 PM
yea, just wait till the bulls get in the picture... ;)

hahaha we're coming my fellow cub fan we're coming

Duncan = Donkey
11-15-2008, 08:21 PM
i still think the west is the stronger conference

michaellui11
11-15-2008, 08:30 PM
i like the west better but i think east is stronger FOR NOW

king4day
11-15-2008, 08:34 PM
west has so manyyyy injuries....the Spurs and Jazz are only half strength and I'm sure theres more

Good call. Kings too.

CaptainCool79
11-15-2008, 08:41 PM
The west is definitely a lot weaker this year. The kind of strength we saw out of it last year definitely wasn't going to hold up.

JordansBulls
11-16-2008, 02:53 AM
2-0 tonight. Cleveland over Utah and Philly over OKC

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-16-2008, 02:56 AM
2-0 tonight. Cleveland over Utah and Philly over OKC

:up: I hope the east keeps beating the west. (Except for the Lakers of course) I hope the east wins 90% of the games against the west. Makes it easier to claim home court advantage

SAVAGE CLAW
11-16-2008, 02:56 AM
I dont think So.

Best PG discussion Paul, Deron, Parker, Nash , BIllups, then enters Calderon or Arenas when he comes back , West wins by Much.

Best SG discussion, Kobe, T-Mac vs Iverson , West Wins.

Best SF, Lebron end of story, East Wins.

PF: Duncan, Pau, Dirk, West, Boozer.... against Kg , Bosh and BRand West Wins

C: Ming vs Howard Even.

zambo4president
11-16-2008, 03:00 AM
hahaha we're coming my fellow cub fan we're coming

Derrick Rose leadin the charge baby!

cambovenzi
11-16-2008, 03:04 AM
lol.
the west is still significantly better.

way to early to be saying the opposite.
SEVEN of the wests losses against the east are from the last place, OKC thunder.
how does that prove the west is overall weaker?

and team like houston and dallas have bad records against the east.
but are they really a below average team if put in the east? ofcourse not.

also power teams like the lakers and suns have only 1 loss in the east.
the lakers lost their only game in the east against a good pistons team.
their share in the east vs west battle will obviously be much, much better than 100% losses.

just wait till the good teams start beating up on some of the weaker east teams.
the records will come back down to earth.

Hellcrooner
11-16-2008, 11:18 AM
In teh end whjat matters is, how many teams can REALLISTICALLY ( no wishfull thinking or fanboy jerkoff) win the title?

Lakers, Jazz, Rockets, Hornets vs Celtics thats 4 to 1 for the east.

If we add the longshots

Lakers, Jazz, Rockets, Hornets, Spurs, Mavs, Suns vs Celtics, Pistons, Cavs, magic thats 7-4.

Kabowdos
11-16-2008, 11:45 AM
I agree that the East is stronger than the west right now. I think it could change but I wouldn't be surprised if the East came out stronger this year.

Right now it looks like the anyone is the East can come out or at least it is going to be just as hard for the Celtics to get to the Finals as last year.
I think the Lakers will have an easier time making to the finals but anything can happen.

Hellcrooner
11-16-2008, 11:54 AM
it was so har for the celtics to reach the finals because they wernet that great, and wouldnt hav won withouth biased calls in each and every round.

CELTICS4LYFE
11-16-2008, 12:01 PM
it was so har for the celtics to reach the finals because they wernet that great, and wouldnt hav won withouth biased calls in each and every round.

that has to b one of the stupidest things ive ever heard lol

n i wouldnt say better cuz we r still weaker but its alot closer than in yrs past

KB24PG16
11-16-2008, 01:17 PM
whenever a confrence that has there 7 8 seed under 500 its a weak confrence

JordansBulls
11-16-2008, 06:05 PM
:up: I hope the east keeps beating the west. (Except for the Lakers of course) I hope the east wins 90% of the games against the west. Makes it easier to claim home court advantage

Good call, I didn't even think about how that would help the Lakers in that respect.

SeoulBeatz
11-16-2008, 06:11 PM
you can't deny the facts.

The EAST IS DOMINATING THE WEST THIS YEAR.

so you can say what you want, but both conferences are gonna deal with injuries over the course of the season, so that cant be a factor, thats part of the game.

So far, the East IS better till the West can put up a fight this season.

Lakers4ItAll
11-16-2008, 06:16 PM
East is better because they have the champs end of story.....