PDA

View Full Version : Marbury?Free-agent

The Magic Man
11-14-2008, 06:02 PM
I was watching ESPN earlier today and I saw that Marbury and the knicks president Walsh are having contract buyout discussions and could be a free-agent by next week. So I was thinking since we do have problems at the pg position and Nelson has problems being consistent game after game and Johnson is too old to be a backup pg, so why dont we sign Marbury for the MLE and he could eventually start for us later on in the season. I know he has a attitude problem but maybe he needs a fresh start and I think he would love to come to a winning organization with the Magic. I think he is a way better passer than Nelson and he is a taller pg and can play better defense than Nelson.

Magic Lineup
pg:Marbury/Nelson/Johnson
sg:Pietrus/Bogans/Lee/Reddick
sf:Turk/Lewis/Pietrus/Richardson
pf:Lewis/Battie/Cook
c:Howard/Battie/Gortat

6th man:J.Nelson

With team we become deeper and I think nelson would help our bench because he would provide leadership and use his scoring ability as our 6th man.I think we would be set to make a run for the championship with this roster.

I hope OTIS can get this done this move would solidify our team.

Chris36Chambers
11-14-2008, 08:58 PM
He would be a good pick up

Pros for the Magic:
it will give us more depth & we will get him for the veteran minimum because he is making enough money, but I doubt at his will be able to beta Jameer out his spot maybe only during clutch situations

Pros for Steph:
this will be the best team he has ever been on...but he could also sign w/ a better teams such as the celtics

LeonFSU
11-15-2008, 03:43 PM
There is no way Otis Smith signs Marbury if he becomes available. I think it would have a chance to be a very good fit, but there is no way it will happen. Otis Smith has no idea what he is doing and has no idea how to improve a basketball team.

macc
11-17-2008, 12:46 PM
There is no way Otis Smith signs Marbury if he becomes available. I think it would have a chance to be a very good fit, but there is no way it will happen. Otis Smith has no idea what he is doing and has no idea how to improve a basketball team.

Honestly I don't know why Otis gets so many of these comments. I think hes been doing a pretty good job. Your average fan ie you and I don't know what talks go on behind closed doors so to say a guy isn't on the market trying makes no sense. When Rashard Lewis was avail, Otis was set on getting him and got his guy. Drafted Dwight Howard over Okafur, umm pretty good move there I think. Bottom line is Otis did improve our team from last year. MP is kicking *** and shooting the 3 ball well. We finally have some depth on our team beyond the 6th man. Normally it takes a couple years for a team to really find their chemistry and win championships. Most teams it takes about 4 years of playing together to get really deep into the playoffs.

Bottom line is we don't have much money to go after other free agents. A guy isn't going to sign in Orlando for 3 million a year when he can go to another contending team and get 5 million. It's not hard to figure out why we don't get all the players we want.

*Superman*
11-17-2008, 07:31 PM
I would want him. Add some depth to the PG position.

Campy
11-17-2008, 07:32 PM
Honestly I don't know why Otis gets so many of these comments. I think hes been doing a pretty good job. Your average fan ie you and I don't know what talks go on behind closed doors so to say a guy isn't on the market trying makes no sense. When Rashard Lewis was avail, Otis was set on getting him and got his guy. Drafted Dwight Howard over Okafur, umm pretty good move there I think. Bottom line is Otis did improve our team from last year. MP is kicking *** and shooting the 3 ball well. We finally have some depth on our team beyond the 6th man. Normally it takes a couple years for a team to really find their chemistry and win championships. Most teams it takes about 4 years of playing together to get really deep into the playoffs.

Bottom line is we don't have much money to go after other free agents. A guy isn't going to sign in Orlando for 3 million a year when he can go to another contending team and get 5 million. It's not hard to figure out why we don't get all the players we want.

I would say fair job. I mean we seriously overpaid for Lewis, we haven't found much help for D12 and don't forget the whole Fran Vasquez saga. Look I don't dislike the guy, but Marbury could ruin this teams chemistry. He is a selfish shoot first point guard. Talent he does not lack, but he's in it for himself and that's not the Magic's game.

Magic #1 Fan
11-18-2008, 02:28 PM
Marbury would be a CANCER to any team he plays for. Timberwolfs and the Knicks proved that. Go after Jwill, he would fit Better than any pg. out there. He lives in Orlando, played for Van Gundy, and would probaly come out of retirement to play in his hometown. Come on OTIS get with it.

macc
11-20-2008, 06:36 PM
I agree, I think Marbary would be a cancer on this time. I wouldn't want him. Even if its at a cheap price. I say let the guys we have go to work and see what we can do.

ragee
11-20-2008, 08:03 PM

Damn Right!!!

ragee
11-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Wait, does the Magic still has their MLE? Didn't they use it on Pietrus?

LeonFSU
11-24-2008, 06:07 PM

No Otis Smith has made very few good moves, and the few that me made he ended up ruining with horrid decisions in the future. I can't get into a chronological timeline of the terrible moves he has made, but I'll list some of them:

Hiring Brian Hill, trading Francis for Ariza (one of his best moves at the time) and then later trading Ariza (before giving him a chance to play) for Evans (who was not resigned and not better than Ariza) and Cook (who is awful), trading a first round pick to Detroit for Darko and Arroyo (his second and probably only other good move) and then allowing Darko to leave to go to Memphis (I know Darko is playing poorly w/o Dwight in Memphis, but he was playing very well with Dwight in Orlando, and if Otis traded a 1st round pick to get him (which Detroit used to acquired Rodney Stuckey, a player that would drastically improve the Magic), he should have resigned him, because he exceeded expectations in Orlando and complemented Dwight very very well), not using one of Orlando's numerous expiring contracts to acquire a PF or PG to improve the team before last year's deadline, inability to draft even a rotational player, let alone a good player for the Magic, signing Rashard Lewis, a SF Orlando did not need for that price, to a ridiculously absurd contract to play PF, allowing Keyon Dooling (their BEST overall guard) to leave and replacing him with Anthony Johnson, not signing or acquiring a PF yet again this past offseason, overpaying Mickael Pietrus for him to play a role that Ariza could have played for cheaper, Fran Vasquez...and it goes on and on.

You got one thing right, the Magic have no cap to sign a player "we" want, but the sole reason for this is: Otis Smith. If you can't see that, then you are delusional. This team cannot win a championship with three SFs: Hedo, Pietrus, and Lewis, forcing Dwight to do all of the defense and rebounding. After a few more years of Otis making terrible decisions like these, hopefully someone will realize he is the problem and send him far away. And ragee, yes the Magic used the entire MLE on Pietrus. Comparable players, like Barnes and Ariza, who are playing just as well, were signed for far less. Pietrus alone does not and will not make the Magic better than Boston, Detroit, or Cleveland.

ragee
11-24-2008, 11:29 PM

Wow, I can't believe someone is really defending Otis...:speechless: Getting Lewis may have been a good move if he did not overpaid him... And it does not require a genius to see a rare talent like Dwight... Otis is one of the worst GMs in the league...

skyhibballpj87
11-26-2008, 02:12 AM
No Otis Smith has made very few good moves, and the few that me made he ended up ruining with horrid decisions in the future. I can't get into a chronological timeline of the terrible moves he has made, but I'll list some of them:

Hiring Brian Hill, trading Francis for Ariza (one of his best moves at the time) and then later trading Ariza (before giving him a chance to play) for Evans (who was not resigned and not better than Ariza) and Cook (who is awful), trading a first round pick to Detroit for Darko and Arroyo (his second and probably only other good move) and then allowing Darko to leave to go to Memphis (I know Darko is playing poorly w/o Dwight in Memphis, but he was playing very well with Dwight in Orlando, and if Otis traded a 1st round pick to get him (which Detroit used to acquired Rodney Stuckey, a player that would drastically improve the Magic), he should have resigned him, because he exceeded expectations in Orlando and complemented Dwight very very well), not using one of Orlando's numerous expiring contracts to acquire a PF or PG to improve the team before last year's deadline, inability to draft even a rotational player, let alone a good player for the Magic, signing Rashard Lewis, a SF Orlando did not need for that price, to a ridiculously absurd contract to play PF, allowing Keyon Dooling (their BEST overall guard) to leave and replacing him with Anthony Johnson, not signing or acquiring a PF yet again this past offseason, overpaying Mickael Pietrus for him to play a role that Ariza could have played for cheaper, Fran Vasquez...and it goes on and on.
You got one thing right, the Magic have no cap to sign a player "we" want, but the sole reason for this is: Otis Smith. If you can't see that, then you are delusional. This team cannot win a championship with three SFs: Hedo, Pietrus, and Lewis, forcing Dwight to do all of the defense and rebounding. After a few more years of Otis making terrible decisions like these, hopefully someone will realize he is the problem and send him far away. And ragee, yes the Magic used the entire MLE on Pietrus. Comparable players, like Barnes and Ariza, who are playing just as well, were signed for far less. Pietrus alone does not and will not make the Magic better than Boston, Detroit, or Cleveland.

i agree with your post for the most part but i will make some arguements defending Otis. Hiring Brian Hill may have not been the greatest of moves but at the time i though it was a good move considering the magic had great seasons under brian hill. I admit trading ariza was not a good move to me. but i do believe letting darko walk was good move not because he wasnt a good player everyones complaining that otis over pays guys well darko was someone i was glad he did not over pay. Darko did compliment dwight well but Darko wanted 8-10 million based on what potenital he had an ok season averaging what like 10 5 and 2 to me thats not worth 10 million a season. he probably should have looked for another big man in the offseason but we did think tony battie was gonna be back and healthy and you really cant say his draft picks are bad. because he thought vanquez was actually coming over here and hes supposely reallly good in spain but vanquez pulled a fast one on Otis and resigned with spain. Reddick really cant be judge on the count as he gets no playing time what so ever and when he does his playing time isnt consitent so its hard to get rhythm going when your on again off again. Maybe with bogans out he will show us alittle something. The signing of lewis was a good move overall lewis compliments howard very well and has definitley opened up shots for turkolu to do well also.he did over pay lewis but he got us the best free agent avaiable at that time. every one says oh we could have gotten wade or arenas and where have they been lately on the bench with injuries and correct me if im wrong lewis hasnt missed too many games. You say howard does all the defense and the rebounding well pietrus was signed mostly for his perimeter d as well as his solid 3 pointer. this season so far hes averaging double figures in scoring and about 4 boards a game which isnt too shabby. and yea i think letting keyon go was a mistake but it made it clear that we wanted jameer to be number one and so far hes delivered. So lets see how they do this season before we start really judging Otis. magic are 10 and 4 to start and thats pretty good. So im not jumping on the i hate otis band wagon just yet. And besides hes better tthen weisbord remember mobley for doug christie wtf lol oh and you forgot another good move Otis did he did sign stan van gundy who i do like alot as the magics coach