PDA

View Full Version : Chauncey and Rip Cried Over the Trade

Gibby23
11-14-2008, 03:55 PM
Chauncey and Rip Cried Over the Trade
By Andrew Katz

This image would make Rip cryAfter news dropped that Chauncey would be traded to Denver, he and Rip Hamilton sat down in the same hotel room and cried. They shared stories, they laughed and they cried.

“It was good,” Billups said. “It was deep. I will never forget my six years in Detroit, and I will never forget those three hours that I spent with my two brothers in that room.”

In addition to the tears, Chauncey shared another detail of his conversation with Rip, one that could help to explain his being “out of sync” before his 24-point game last night against the Warriors.

“If Rip would have knew that this deal was going on, I just don’t know that he would have signed that extension. It was kind of funny to me that they announced this trade the same day that he signed. I really don’t know. … It just seemed weird to me. He signed that extension three days before the trade. … I think it might have been a little different if all this was exposed early.”

I don’t think that’s something to brush off if you’re a Pistons fan. Though ‘Sheed and AI were the two guys pulled into a TNT interview before the game last night, Rip is as big a part of their success as anyone. In fact, he might be the biggest part. Even if Rasheed Wallace is still a Top 10 talent when he puts forth maximum effort, Rip is the one guy on this team that can’t really be replaced. He’s a supremely efficient scorer who makes everyone around him better without necessarily having to be a wonderful passer.

Are you worried about Rip’s relationship with the Pistons’ organization right now?

http://dimemag.com/2008/11/chauncey-and-rip-cried-over-the-trade/#more-4071

Gibby23
11-14-2008, 03:56 PM
They were a close team.

LAKERS 24/7
11-14-2008, 04:06 PM
That's cold.

superkegger
11-14-2008, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I can understand that, I mean they played together for what, 6 years, I remember just being on the same team for one season 4 years in a row with the same guys and we were close. Can't imagine traveling on the road, etc. with the same guys for 6 years and not being very very close.

OY!
11-14-2008, 04:19 PM
good job pistons, you guys made a bad trade AND made rip and billups cry :pity:

Yogi
11-14-2008, 04:44 PM
Pistons some bullies.

Missing56&33
11-14-2008, 04:47 PM
awwhhh thats to bad. They'll get over it. But i have to admit, i like Joe Dumars as Gm of that team. Chauncey thought he was untouchable. He felt he was mr bigshot and he was the face of the pistons.. but those guys having been back to the finals since 05 i knew JD was going to make some changes... got rid of Flip...I knew CB would be next with the emergence of Stuckey . But i like AI with the team. AI wasn't AI in denver.... good move by dumars

JordansBulls
11-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Hey it happens.

mkool65
11-14-2008, 05:00 PM
awwhhh thats to bad. They'll get over it. But i have to admit, i like Joe Dumars as Gm of that team. Chauncey thought he was untouchable. He felt he was mr bigshot and he was the face of the pistons.. but those guys having been back to the finals since 05 i knew JD was going to make some changes... got rid of Flip...I knew CB would be next with the emergence of Stuckey . But i like AI with the team. AI wasn't AI in denver.... good move by dumars

The thing is that is exactly what he was. If it is true that Dumars did this to make a run at Lebron/ Bosh in the future than I am cool with it but if it was just to change things up I have a problem. I really do miss Chauncey already.

NYMetros
11-14-2008, 05:03 PM
It's a business. Hopefully they keep in touch.

That could explain why Rip hasn't been so great lately though, however he did have a solid game last night.

celticfan
11-14-2008, 05:05 PM
I think they should have kept the same team. I really don't know fi Iverson makes Detroit better, but the salary relief could be big for the future.

DreamShaker
11-14-2008, 05:18 PM
Can't come close to the suicide watch with Steve Francis when the Magic traded his man-love Cat Mobley....but there is nothing wrong with crying.....it's an emotional release....they are pro's and the'll be alright....

IndyRealist
11-14-2008, 05:19 PM
Ouch, the Pistons apparently played Hamilton pretty rough. I can see him demanding a trade this offseason if the team doesn't immediately gel.

_Sn1P3r_
11-14-2008, 05:20 PM
Real men cry right? But yeah, I wonder if Rip would've signed it if he knew Billups would be traded. I guess it's just business.

DreamShaker
11-14-2008, 05:21 PM
It's a business. Hopefully they keep in touch.

That could explain why Rip hasn't been so great lately though, however he did have a solid game last night.

The reason Rip has been struggling with AI is because AI isn't getting him the ball in the spots he likes....I've seen AI pass to Rip and then Rip taking a few dribbles forwards and throwing up bricks....Chauncey would always find him off curls and he would shoot in motion ala Reggie Miller....but with AI he has had to adjust....

Catfish1314
11-14-2008, 05:22 PM
Not surprising. Since Ben Wallace left, those two had been on the team the longest. Ben and Billups were kind of the faces of that franchise. Then when Wallace left, it was mainly Chauncey. Iverson's great and all, but I don't think this trade is going to help at all in the short term.

Giantwarrior
11-14-2008, 05:28 PM
They cried together? I knew they were a soft team. 6 trips to the eastern confrence finals, one title... NBA version of the buffalo bills?

ARMIN12NBA
11-14-2008, 05:33 PM
They cried together? I knew they were a soft team. 6 trips to the eastern confrence finals, one title... NBA version of the buffalo bills?

There is nothing wrong with crying. It definitely doesn't make them soft. They were best friends and spent almost every single day together for 6 years. They traveled across the country together, etc. They won championships together. Nothing wrong with crying like Dreamshaker said previously.

hyp21
11-14-2008, 05:43 PM
Are you serious? Bill Lambeer/Dumars should come slap them both. GTFO!!! C'mon now!! MAN UP! You're both rich, hop a plane and party together. Crying :rollseyes: wow!

THE_FLASH_21
11-14-2008, 05:46 PM
SUcks for Hamilton... It's for damn sure he wouldn't of signed that contract extension...
Bullips and RIP were close... sucks to lose a brother like that!

philtheimpaler
11-14-2008, 05:49 PM
The reason Rip has been struggling with AI is because AI isn't getting him the ball in the spots he likes....I've seen AI pass to Rip and then Rip taking a few dribbles forwards and throwing up bricks....Chauncey would always find him off curls and he would shoot in motion ala Reggie Miller....but with AI he has had to adjust....

saw the exact same thing bro, rip def got screwed theres no way he resigns if he knows the team leader is gonna get shipped out. no way iverson is gonna come close to replacing billups. iverson does not make the players around him better.

hyp21
11-14-2008, 05:52 PM
SUcks for Hamilton... It's for damn sure he wouldn't of signed that contract extension...
Bullips and RIP were close... sucks to lose a brother like that!

which is another reason I wouldn't think Rip would cry about it.

Missing56&33
11-14-2008, 07:57 PM
The thing is that is exactly what he was. If it is true that Dumars did this to make a run at Lebron/ Bosh in the future than I am cool with it but if it was just to change things up I have a problem. I really do miss Chauncey already.

my friend... i saw the jeoulousy in CB face in boston when Flip was giving major mins to Stuckey. I knew then CB was on his way out. CB took it personal. He a very vocal guy too. But the bottom line, Dumars is a winner they kept coming up short. Look at Wallace, he wasn't worth all that money that he wanted, so Dumars let him walk, he never been the same since. You have a window to do things in Det window was closing and the Billups era was too. He is not the face of the franchise, rip hamiltion is. But IMO Dumars wants another ring thi year, he feels AI is his best chance.

Dumars did this to make a run at Lebron/ Bosh in the future

hate to tell u this my friend but those guys are staying put. Detriot is rebuiding... but hopefully they can do what they did with Rasheed with AI this year.

Zefflin
11-14-2008, 08:02 PM
... NBA version of the buffalo bills?

Ouch, I live here. But I've always disliked the Bills...so I can appreciate a good ol' Chyna low blow every now and then.

Missing56&33
11-14-2008, 08:07 PM
Ouch, I live here. But I've always disliked the Bills...so I can appreciate a good ol' Chyna low blow every now and then.

Ok one more, If you see Scott norwood anywhere around town tell him thanks, and alway turn wide right at tricky intersections :)

cubulls
11-14-2008, 08:11 PM
Rip + Billups = *******...Looks like they won't get to bang each other in the showers anymore...

KB24PG16
11-14-2008, 08:18 PM
thats sad

MiamiHeat
11-14-2008, 08:23 PM
:(

mrblisterdundee
11-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Who cares how millionaire basketball players feel. They need to shut up, stop crying, and play like they're getting a seven to eight figure income.

MiamiHeat
11-14-2008, 08:36 PM
Who cares how millionaire basketball players feel. They need to shut up, stop crying, and play like they're getting a seven to eight figure income.

they have feelings too you *******

cubulls
11-14-2008, 08:42 PM
they have feelings too you *******

Who gives a ****? They have money. They live like kings and can buy happiness.

BADizzleBoY
11-14-2008, 08:43 PM
wow you guys are funny, these guys are like brothers man... he has been with them for a long time. it is harder then you guys think

Bubba17
11-14-2008, 08:46 PM
All of you guys calling them ******* and telling them to man up :rolleyes:

So your saying you've never cried before? Just because they are rich doesn't mean they cant cry

BADizzleBoY
11-14-2008, 08:47 PM
exactly, philly fans are smart

_Sn1P3r_
11-14-2008, 08:54 PM

Are you serious?

BADizzleBoY
11-14-2008, 08:55 PM
i may quote that

LeBrowns
11-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Richard Hamilton was the piece that made that offense work. Billups was the face of the franchise, but Hamilton was the masterlog of that offense. It's going to be interesting to see how his production goes on from here.

dre1990
11-14-2008, 09:31 PM
Not suprised

S.J.Basketball
11-14-2008, 10:29 PM
good job pistons, you guys made a bad trade AND made rip and billups cry :pity:

LOL...

Seriously though does Dumars expect AI to be the solution for getting past the Celtics in the Eastern Conference Finals? I don't think so. I feel Billups fit the team better and last years Conference Finals was anybody's. The Pistons could have been in the championship.

njnets
11-14-2008, 11:32 PM
i would to if that was one of my best friends. totally understand.

soulslice
11-14-2008, 11:35 PM
man, rip and chauncey had had best off-ball screen game... iono if rip's ever going to be the same

jetsfan28
11-14-2008, 11:46 PM

Exactly. In fact, if I remember correctly, even Miller had a bad year when they lost (I think) Dale Davis, Jackson, Mullin and Smits, who knew how to set him up perfectly, early in the 2000's. They helped him be such a great rhythm shooter, and while Harrington, Foser, etc. were good players, they didn't set him up as well. Good passers are so important to shooters.

NYMetros
11-14-2008, 11:49 PM

How's that mean that they're soft? It just means that they had a great friendship and bond, so they didn't want to see each other go.

And no, they're not the Buffalo Bills of the NBA.

Exactly. In fact, if I remember correctly, even Miller had a bad year when they lost (I think) Dale Davis, Jackson, Mullin and Smits, who knew how to set him up perfectly, early in the 2000's. They helped him be such a great rhythm shooter, and while Harrington, Foser, etc. were good players, they didn't set him up as well. Good passers are so important to shooters.

Eh, I disagree. I've watched every Pistons game so far and AI has gave some pretty good opportunities for Rip. Obviously that chemistry will only improve with time.

Who gives a ****? They have money. They live like kings and can buy happiness.

:rimshot:

yaowowrocket11
11-15-2008, 12:17 AM
Come on, its a business. Players change teams, its a part of the game. No need to cry. Instead, they should have concentrated on winning with their new teams, not wiping tears.

THE_FLASH_21
11-15-2008, 01:33 AM
which is another reason I wouldn't think Rip would cry about it.

U miss understood... RIP signed it BEFORE the team announced the AI trade.