PDA

View Full Version : The old-school NBA

MoBASS
11-14-2008, 02:04 PM
I miss the old school NBA.

I miss the hard-nosed play, intensity, and hard fouls.

I miss the handchecks and the free-flowing play when no B.S. foul calls are made.

I miss the floor burns and bodies flying everywhere (i.e. 93 Playoffs: Bulls vs. Knicks)

I miss when players could make a hard foul without fear of getting ejected/suspended.

I miss seeing superstars play in the important games, not picking up ticky-tack fouls and sitting on the bench.

I miss the trash talk and the fights.

I miss the rivalries. The Lakers and the Celtics (the REAL Lakers vs. Celtics, not the **** we see today)... the Pistons and the Bulls.

I miss it all...

Considering the NBA was more popular and fun to watch in the 80s and 90s...

will we ever see the old-school NBA again?

Lakers4ItAll
11-14-2008, 02:05 PM
The game has changed get used to it...

MoBASS
11-14-2008, 02:47 PM
The game has changed get used to it...

It's changed for the worse. Far too many fouls, and general stoppages in play.

We want to see guys play basketball, not shoot free throws.

LAKERS 24/7
11-14-2008, 03:29 PM
No. David Stern has made the game "prettier" to sell more tickets...

NYKnickFanatic
11-14-2008, 03:56 PM
I prefer the "Old School" game better.
I would love the hard fouls. The fights. The intense games.
It was the best. Growing up as a kid I would watch the playoff games between the Knicks and Heat and loved it when fights broke out. It was awesome.
But, we just have to deal with the change. :sigh:
I dont think we will ever see it again.

Lakers4ItAll
11-14-2008, 04:05 PM
Like Barkley throwin the ball off of Shaqs head

NYKnickFanatic
11-14-2008, 04:20 PM

:laugh2:
They were showing that on TNT last night.

Missing56&33
11-14-2008, 04:21 PM

I miss the handchecks and the free-flowing play when no B.S. foul calls are made.

I miss the floor burns and bodies flying everywhere (i.e. 93 Playoffs: Bulls vs. Knicks)

I miss when players could make a hard foul without fear of getting ejected/suspended.

I miss seeing superstars play in the important games, not picking up ticky-tack fouls and sitting on the bench.

I miss the rivalries. The Lakers and the Celtics (the REAL Lakers vs. Celtics, not the **** we see today)... the Pistons and the Bulls.

I miss it all...

I miss the rivalries the most. I like the competition today. I think its getting better. Teams are playing harder but there are no rivalries right now. none...
The lakers - celtics games in the 80's you couldnt sleep after those games waiting for the next. Lakers - jazz....Celtics -sixers.... celtics- pistons.... pistons- bulls..... lakers- houston.... lakers -blazers..... 90's knicks- pacers...knicks- heat.... those use to be some intense games. Its just not the same today. But im hopeful we will see some rilvalries soon.

I think they are gone because the league trade away players so much, one player cant be identified with one particular team. ex. Bird-celtics...Magic-lakers.... if magic got traded to Pheonix how dumb would that look.

Lakers4ItAll
11-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Best rivalry since the 90s was the Lakers/Kings a few years back

superkegger
11-14-2008, 04:25 PM
Barkley thrownin the ball at shaq is not old school....

Lakers4ItAll
11-14-2008, 04:26 PM
How about Scott Skiles getting into a fight

JordansBulls
11-14-2008, 04:35 PM

I miss it all...

I think people got tired of seeing games with a score of 75-68 as the final. It was much more difficult to score. People don't go to games to see teams shooting under 40%, even though now many of them do, but that has to do more with guys just jacking up shots instead of playing team ball.

Lakers4ItAll
11-14-2008, 04:41 PM
How boring were those Heat/Knicks games...

superkegger
11-14-2008, 05:02 PM
It's changed for the worse. Far too many fouls, and general stoppages in play.

We want to see guys play basketball, not shoot free throws.

1980-81, the league leaders in fouls and foul shots were, Atlanta, whistled for 2,276 personal fouls, and Denver shot 3,051 free throws.
On the flip side of that, Washington was whistled the least with 1895 personal fouls, and only shot 1909 free throws.

1985-86, the league leaders in fouls and foul shots were, Cleveland, whislted for 2,267 personal fouls, and Philly shot 2,810 free throws.
On the flip side of that, Dallas was whistled the least with 1733 personal fouls, and Indiana only shot 2183 free throws.

1990-91, the league leaders in fouls and foul shots were, Denver, whistled for 2,235 personal fouls, and Golden State shot 2,761 free throws.
On the flip side of that, the Lakers were whistled the least with 1524 personal fouls, and Dallas only shot 1986 free throws.

1995-96, the league leaders in fouls and foul shots were, Miami, whistled for 2,158 personal fouls, and golden state Phoenix shot 2,472 free throws.
On the flip side of that, Cleveland was whistled the least with 1685 personal fouls, and the Cavs only shot 1775 free throws.

2000-01, the league leaders in fouls and foul shots were, Utah, whistled for 2,108 personal fouls, and the Spurs shot 2,340 free throws.
On the flip side of that, San Antonio was whistled the least with 1551personal fouls, and New York only shot 1727 free throws.

2005-06, the league leaders in fouls and foul shots were, New York, whislted for 2,157 personal fouls, and Knicks shot 2,587 free throws.
On the flip side of that, Detroit was whistled the least with 1513 personal fouls, and Phoenix only shot free 1475 throws.

So I don't really know what you're talking about with too many fouls. Over the past 25 years the number of fouls called has stayed pretty steady, while if anything having somewhat decreased.

_Sn1P3r_
11-14-2008, 05:23 PM

Didn't Shaq give him a black eye after?

GregOden#1
11-14-2008, 06:41 PM
1980-81, the league leaders in fouls and foul shots were, Atlanta, whistled for 2,276 personal fouls, and Denver shot 3,051 free throws.
On the flip side of that, Washington was whistled the least with 1895 personal fouls, and only shot 1909 free throws.

1985-86, the league leaders in fouls and foul shots were, Cleveland, whislted for 2,267 personal fouls, and Philly shot 2,810 free throws.
On the flip side of that, Dallas was whistled the least with 1733 personal fouls, and Indiana only shot 2183 free throws.

1990-91, the league leaders in fouls and foul shots were, Denver, whistled for 2,235 personal fouls, and Golden State shot 2,761 free throws.
On the flip side of that, the Lakers were whistled the least with 1524 personal fouls, and Dallas only shot 1986 free throws.

1995-96, the league leaders in fouls and foul shots were, Miami, whistled for 2,158 personal fouls, and golden state Phoenix shot 2,472 free throws.
On the flip side of that, Cleveland was whistled the least with 1685 personal fouls, and the Cavs only shot 1775 free throws.

2000-01, the league leaders in fouls and foul shots were, Utah, whistled for 2,108 personal fouls, and the Spurs shot 2,340 free throws.
On the flip side of that, San Antonio was whistled the least with 1551personal fouls, and New York only shot 1727 free throws.

2005-06, the league leaders in fouls and foul shots were, New York, whislted for 2,157 personal fouls, and Knicks shot 2,587 free throws.
On the flip side of that, Detroit was whistled the least with 1513 personal fouls, and Phoenix only shot free 1475 throws.

So I don't really know what you're talking about with too many fouls. Over the past 25 years the number of fouls called has stayed pretty steady, while if anything having somewhat decreased.

The number of shot attempts was 10-15% higher in the 80s too.

Lakers4ItAll
11-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Can you give a black guy a black eye?

Didn't Shaq give him a black eye after?

MiamiHeat
11-14-2008, 07:24 PM
^ only a purple one

MoBASS
11-14-2008, 08:04 PM
The number of shot attempts was 10-15% higher in the 80s too.

Interesting numbers superkegger, where did you find those stats?

The pace of the game seems a lot slower than it used to be.

superkegger
11-14-2008, 08:32 PM
Interesting numbers superkegger, where did you find those stats?

The pace of the game seems a lot slower than it used to be.

nba.com

mrblisterdundee
11-14-2008, 08:46 PM
It has to be more "family friendly" these days. If we want to solve this problem, we have to geather a lynch mob and pay a visit to David Stern's house.

mrblisterdundee
11-14-2008, 08:47 PM
Also, don't pay these useless *******s so much money.

rhino17
11-14-2008, 09:23 PM
there are still rivalries. The Jazz/Rockets rivalry is still in the current nba as it was throughout the 90s

Lakers4ItAll
11-14-2008, 10:17 PM
Not really

there are still rivalries. The Jazz/Rockets rivalry is still in the current nba as it was throughout the 90s

IndyRealist
11-14-2008, 10:53 PM

Not the same. Two good teams that play each other often does not constitute a rivalry. To be rivals the teams seriously have to try to demolish the other guys. They should meet, often, in the playoffs. The fans should probably hate the other team's fans. The players should understand that if they go out in public in the other city, they could get mobbed. In a bad way. This is a rivalry. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozjwAlS4jdk) And this is a rivalry. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_FofBoiRNE) You don't see this type of thing in the NBA any longer.

SAVAGE CLAW
11-15-2008, 02:29 AM
sadly no they wont come back.

Look at it this way.

Bird > Lebron.

Jordan> Kobe

Magic>Paul

Kareem>Howard

Thomas>Deron

Worthy>Melo

Dumars>Roy.

and so on and on an on

superkegger
11-15-2008, 02:57 AM
sadly no they wont come back.

Look at it this way.

Bird > Lebron.

Jordan> Kobe

Magic>Paul

Kareem>Howard

Thomas>Deron

Worthy>Melo

Dumars>Roy.

and so on and on an on

So you pick Bird, Jordan, Magic, and Kareem to compare to todays players. Not just the best of their generation, but 4 of the top 10 players of all time. While Lebron may not be better than Bird, yet, he could be, and I'd take him over worthy or dumars. I'd also take Kobe over thomas, worthy or dumars. Deron may not be better than thomas, yet, but deron is what, 4 years into his career as is paul and you're comparing them to all time greats. Please.

rhino17
11-15-2008, 04:19 AM
Not the same. Two good teams that play each other often does not constitute a rivalry. To be rivals the teams seriously have to try to demolish the other guys. They should meet, often, in the playoffs. The fans should probably hate the other team's fans. The players should understand that if they go out in public in the other city, they could get mobbed. In a bad way. This is a rivalry. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ozjwAlS4jdk) And this is a rivalry. (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U_FofBoiRNE) You don't see this type of thing in the NBA any longer.

The rockets and Jazz have met a TON of times in the playoffs over the past 20 years. They have always been rivals, idk what you are talking about. Every Rockets fan hates jazz fans with a passion. And Jazz fans NEVER dare showing their faces in Houston.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rockets-Jazz_rivalry