PDA

View Full Version : Should Matt Cassell be franchised?

TheRedMarauder
11-14-2008, 01:08 PM
The National Football Post's Mike Lombardi is "convinced" that the Patriots will have to Franchise free agent QB Matt Cassel this offseason.

Lombardi cites two reasons to keep the backup around as expensive insurance: Cassel's steady improvement is making him a legit asset while Tom Brady's return to full health by the 2009 season opener is in question. Cassel may well be a product of the Pats system, but he's sure to generate interest from desperate franchises. The Pats may well keep him around for another year while Kevin O'Connell gets acclimated to the system.

rotoworld

HOZ THE KNICK
11-14-2008, 01:21 PM
to franchised a player you have to give him the top 5 salary at that position and i know you guys is not going to do that only leverage you guys have is if he's loyal and when it comes down to money nobody's loyal.

griff141
11-14-2008, 02:02 PM
I think he's gone after this season depending on the status of Tom Brady. If Brady can make it back for training camp then Cassel is definitely gone. I was listening to Patriots postgame last night after the game on WBCN and they were saying that If Cassel is gone and Brady can't go, chances are that they will bring in a vet just to hold down the fort until Brady can go. It seems like they want O'Connell to develop into Brady's successor.

bagwell368
11-14-2008, 02:06 PM
no way we blow that kind of dough to keep MC. better chance we trade brady. let Detroit overpay for MC.

Ewagner
11-14-2008, 02:13 PM
it is more likely he will be given the transition tag. does anyone know what the franchise cost would be?

TheRedMarauder
11-14-2008, 02:55 PM
it is more likely he will be given the transition tag. does anyone know what the franchise cost would be?

Upwards of $10 million. Transition tag wouldn't be dfar behind that either.

The Intimidator
11-14-2008, 03:52 PM
I really want Matt Cassel to be kept around, but 10 million plus is way too much for a backup QB.

Patsfan56
11-15-2008, 10:27 AM
I really want Matt Cassel to be kept around, but 10 million plus is way too much for a backup QB.

Agreed. Bring in a vet and keep developing O'Connel. I like how Cassel is developing, but if he gets consistent game to game there is no way he stays. If he runs hot and cold there is a chance, unless he stays loyal. I think Brady's recovery will be a big part of this as well. If there are any more delays, Cassel would be insane not to take another year here and then move on. All it does is give him more time to develop in a system he knows and create demand for him when Bray is healthy.
But if Brady recovers as we expect, there is no way we franchise him for $10M. We have too may other needs to fill, like in our secondary, I/OLB, TE, and OL (okay, the O Line is looking pretty good, but we need a long term plan)

We need to spend that money in other places, provided we can find a decent backup fomr those avaibale this offseason. We would only need that backup for a season, maybe two.

futureheisman
11-15-2008, 10:36 AM
let him go

TickTickBoom
11-15-2008, 11:19 AM
The National Football Post's Mike Lombardi is "convinced" that the Patriots will have to Franchise free agent QB Matt Cassel this offseason.

Lombardi cites two reasons to keep the backup around as expensive insurance: Cassel's steady improvement is making him a legit asset while Tom Brady's return to full health by the 2009 season opener is in question. Cassel may well be a product of the Pats system, but he's sure to generate interest from desperate franchises. The Pats may well keep him around for another year while Kevin O'Connell gets acclimated to the system.

rotoworld

Mike Lombardi is an idiot. You know teams like Detriot, San Francisco, and Tampa Bay are going to throw loads of money at a free agent QB to start for them and, that would mean we would have to give Matt Cassel a starting QB's salary to franchise him. You think the Patriots would over pay for any man? No way. I think we should try to resign him but, I'm sure he'll go where he can start and, make money.

TickTickBoom
11-15-2008, 11:25 AM
You know what I was just thinking though right after I made my last post? Let's say we don't make the playoffs this year which could very easily happen. Why would a team pay Matt Cassel all kinds of money that couldn't make the playoffs with a team as stacked as the Patriots?

The Intimidator
11-15-2008, 12:14 PM
You know what I was just thinking though right after I made my last post? Let's say we don't make the playoffs this year which could very easily happen. Why would a team pay Matt Cassel all kinds of money that couldn't make the playoffs with a team as stacked as the Patriots?

Cassel has played extremely well and the Pats are riddled with injuries. So if we don't make the playoffs, Cassel can not be the guy who gets blamed.

futureheisman
11-15-2008, 01:36 PM
completely agree

Red_Sox_89
11-15-2008, 03:41 PM
No. don't franchise him. Hopefully he'll continue to progress this year and we can trade him

futureheisman
11-15-2008, 04:17 PM
we could do a sign and trade with him

griff141
11-15-2008, 04:17 PM
No. don't franchise him. Hopefully he'll continue to progress this year and we can trade him

His contract is up after this season. He will be an unrestricted free agent.

nep2008
11-15-2008, 05:46 PM
vDoes anyone know a place where I can get a picture, of the behind shot of Randy Moss when he made that last second catch against the jets? I would really appericate it if someone could come thru with some info.

Im a pats fan, and that was still a great game btw.

celticfan
11-15-2008, 07:30 PM
I think Cassel should look else where

celticfan
11-15-2008, 07:31 PM
he really impressed me last year so if we could sign Cassel to a 1 year deal to just make sure the Brady is going to be okay

CheeseOnMyHead
11-15-2008, 09:13 PM

To be fair, the Patriots are 12th in yards this year and that's mostly without a legit running back and the receiving core was downgraded with the loss of Stallworth. And if it counts for anything, Moss doesn't seem to be trying as hard.

And the defense has given up 30 or more points in three of the losses.

NYMETS6986
11-15-2008, 09:15 PM
hes only gonna get better, im not saying i want this to happen but brady took bledsoes job due to injury, does cassel take bradys now due to injury if he continues to play well the rest of the way and brady has an unwanted setback??

The Intimidator
11-15-2008, 09:49 PM
hes only gonna get better, im not saying i want this to happen but brady took bledsoes job due to injury, does cassel take bradys now due to injury if he continues to play well the rest of the way and brady has an unwanted setback??

We'll have to wait and see now, won't we? :D

bagwell368
11-15-2008, 10:30 PM
he really impressed me last year so if we could sign Cassel to a 1 year deal to just make sure the Brady is going to be okay

why would he sign a one year deal here when he might be able to land a bigger deal of the 3 year variety elsewhere?

dbroncos78087
11-15-2008, 11:06 PM
They would be fools to franchise him. Just offer him a few extra million (i say that like its nothing), but he doesnt seem like a greedy guy.

bagwell368
11-15-2008, 11:11 PM
yeah. these guys have professional lives that can measured in minutes. If I'm Cassel I'm going to take an awy shucks $3M 1 year deal, or am I going to take a $16.5M 3 year deal with $5.5 up front?

Maybe he has a sick aunt. maybe he has a gambling habit. maybe he wants to prove vs. other guys in the NFL he made good. Grow up.

BostonHooligan1
11-16-2008, 12:35 AM
i will say this. i have been a avid cassel hater..up untill that jets game. Cassel really proved he can hang with the big dogs in the NFL. for us to franchise him would cost to much money and his stock is doing nothing but going up...i dont care what anyone says about loyalty...sports are a buisness....look at Damon, Manny, and Law. Money talks....and as crappy as it is...cassel will be looking elsewhere at the end of the season...now im not sayin i want cassel over brady...but it would be nice to have some insurance for tom while we feel him out. But after starting with the pats and developing into a good QB, there is no way cassel will go back to being a back up. Especially when tampa or detroit or another team is going to offer him some big $$$.

Ewagner
11-16-2008, 12:48 AM
i think the pats should franchise cassell. teams pay top dollar for a top QB. the more cassell plays the more valuable he comes. even if they don't sign him they will be able to trade him for a top pick.

bagwell368
11-16-2008, 08:32 AM
i think the pats should franchise cassell. teams pay top dollar for a top QB. the more cassell plays the more valuable he comes. even if they don't sign him they will be able to trade him for a top pick.

I have never seen in my 42 years of watching the NFL seen a QB who was so bloody unable to throw an accurate pass over 25 yards as Cassel. The only one that was close was Bobby Douglas - he sucked - but not as bad as Cassel. He will never be anything better then a middle of the pack QB. Therefore paying him as 2.5th best QB when he is the 24th or 19th best isn't going to get you a pick, but it will get you laughed at....

Wake's Fastball
11-16-2008, 01:09 PM
I have never seen in my 42 years of watching the NFL seen a QB who was so bloody unable to throw an accurate pass over 25 yards as Cassel. The only one that was close was Bobby Douglas - he sucked - but not as bad as Cassel. He will never be anything better then a middle of the pack QB. Therefore paying him as 2.5th best QB when he is the 24th or 19th best isn't going to get you a pick, but it will get you laughed at....

Exactly my thoughts. He's looked much, much better as the season has progressed, but his inability to throw the deep ball isn't something that's just going to be learned away. The playbook's clearly been softened up from what Brady had to accomodate Cassel. He's done an exceptional job the past few weeks, but he's not anywhere near worth franchise tag money.

JerseyBrave
11-16-2008, 02:30 PM
^ I agree when we have a receiver like moss we nee QB that can throw the Deep Ball. IF cassel could throw the deep ball, Moss would have picked apart the jets secondary, 3 passes in that game would have been TD's if cassel hit a deep wide open moss, but cassel was horribly inaccurate, and missed those game changing chance, Cassel reminds me alot of pennington, except with a stronger arm, but like pennington he is accurate on short and middle passes.

bagwell368
11-17-2008, 10:33 AM
Cassel reminds me alot of pennington, except with a stronger arm, but like pennington he is accurate on short and middle passes.

100% hit. Cassel is a system QB. With a strong running game and solid over the middle guys to throw to, he can be successful. Perhaps in 2-3 years he could develop the longer pass, after all in '01/'02 Brady was seen that way.

Good luck to Matt, I like the kid. I just see no way he is here next year unless something horrifying happens to Brady.

Ewagner
11-17-2008, 01:21 PM
Pennington with a stronger arm?? interesting comparison. if pennington had any kind of arm he would be a top five QB. he is statistically one the most accurate QB's in NFL history. i think the one thing we are overlooking is he hasn't played forever. he has the skills and is only going to develop. it's not that he can't throw the long ball he just isn't accurate with it. the more reps he gets that is something he will be able to develop. he's getting more and more confident in the pocket and that is the biggest thing. he is making better decisions as each week comes. he is obviously coachable. so his biggest knock is he isn't accurate on balls thrown over 30 yards? sounds like a better version of jamarcus russell and how much does he make. teams are drooling over a QB with the raw skills of cassel. so much of his game is undeveloped and he will only get better when given time to play.

bagwell368
11-17-2008, 02:10 PM
i think the one thing we are overlooking is he hasn't played forever. he has the skills and is only going to develop.

maybe you are overlooking that he turns 27 in May - tick tock. Few QB's do anything much past age 32 unless they are HOF type talents.

it's not that he can't throw the long ball he just isn't accurate with it. the more reps he gets that is something he will be able to develop.

can't throw for distance and can't throw the long ball with accuracy are fine points that either way == he is not reliable with long passes. Funny thing that nearing his 27th Birthday he hasn't figured out how to do it, since at least 7 of his misses have been physical misfires and not poor judgment. What's he been doing when Brady was playing? Holding a clipboard all the time?

teams are drooling over a QB with the raw skills of cassel. so much of his game is undeveloped and he will only get better when given time to play.

let's see how he does when he goes from being a protected piece of very well run team to a featured piece of a lousy team with crappy coaching? drooling? sure - spend a #1 pick on a stiff, or buy a buy a guy that seems to have a clue and keep your #1 for a LT, TE, HB or other useful player to support your new savior.

Ewagner
11-17-2008, 05:47 PM
I guess the simple question is this. if you have a top ten pick and your biggest need is a QB would you take a chance on college QB who is going to ask for an astronomical signing bonus or trade a third round pick for a proven nfl QB? You will in the end spend less for cassel then you would for anyone coming out of college even if he is franchised.

27 is young considering he hasn't been hit in 9 years. he doesn't have any bad habits and he is has sat behind one of the top quarterbacks in the league in college and now in the pros. Also how is 27 old even for a pro quarterback? trent edwards is 25. someone should tell warner he needs to hang it up to at 37.

he can throw it's just not accurate. it seems a lot of that is comfort more than inability.

bagwell368
11-17-2008, 05:58 PM
the league does not allow franchising followed by trade.

Warner is running on fumes as can be seen by anyone. He is also a HOF talent which I am afraid Cassel has a long way to go to prove.

He may not have taken his share of hits at his age, but, given the way he stays up before he goes into his slide, it won't be long before he gets carted off some field.

Whatever his career turns out to be, it won't be here. And given how well the latest BC QB is doing a lot of teams will drop a #4 pick along with the cash, then have the Pats sign him to some 4 year $25M deal and deal him. If they get a 3rd rounder great, then the chapter is closed.

Either way, he's not heading to Canton.

sportpro70
11-17-2008, 07:07 PM
I guess the simple question is this. if you have a top ten pick and your biggest need is a QB would you take a chance on college QB who is going to ask for an astronomical signing bonus or trade a third round pick for a proven nfl QB? You will in the end spend less for cassel then you would for anyone coming out of college even if he is franchised.

27 is young considering he hasn't been hit in 9 years. he doesn't have any bad habits and he is has sat behind one of the top quarterbacks in the league in college and now in the pros. Also how is 27 old even for a pro quarterback? trent edwards is 25. someone should tell warner he needs to hang it up to at 37.

he can throw it's just not accurate. it seems a lot of that is comfort more than inability.

Matt Cassel wants Aaron Rodgers money... Which is 6 years $65 million. I hardly think that classifies as "spending less money" than on a rookie QB.
Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco are proving that when put in the right situation a rookie QB can thrive.
Your right, he is young.. but he's not going to be cheap to sign.

The Intimidator
11-17-2008, 10:24 PM
the league does not allow franchising followed by trade.

Not true. The Patriots franchised Tebucky Jones after the 2002 season and then traded him to the New Orleans Saints shortly after.

Here's a link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1527197.html

bagwell368
11-17-2008, 10:36 PM
Not true. The Patriots franchised Tebucky Jones after the 2002 season and then traded him to the New Orleans Saints shortly after.

Here's a link: http://espn.go.com/nfl/columns/pasquarelli_len/1527197.html

yes that happened, but the rules have since been changed according to Dale and Holly today on EEI.

The Intimidator
11-17-2008, 11:01 PM
yes that happened, but the rules have since been changed according to Dale and Holly today on EEI.

I stand corrected, as usual. :(

hockeyunhboy77
11-18-2008, 09:48 AM
yeahh they should i was gonna make this post but i fiqured sum1 else would. I think they should make sure brady is ok they trade him for a 2nd and 4th for cassel to detriot.

Patsfan56
11-18-2008, 01:02 PM
Matt Cassel wants Aaron Rodgers money... Which is 6 years $65 million. I hardly think that classifies as "spending less money" than on a rookie QB.
Matt Ryan and Joe Flacco are proving that when put in the right situation a rookie QB can thrive.

I am just curious where you heard this.

Bosoxgoober15
11-18-2008, 09:43 PM
i would love to keep him around.....IF and only if he doesn't think he's better than he actually is and wants to be rolling in dough . i think most of his success is coming from the system and the supporting cast (welker) and he wouldn't be nearly as effective anywhere else

Redsox5762
11-18-2008, 10:03 PM
No. Do not keep Cassel...he is a product of Hoodie's system. It is because we have the best WRs in the league, and a very good O-line, that he even looks decent. He has been learning from the best quarterback [of all time] for four years, yet he still looks mediocre. He is extremely innacurate, and panics under pressure. A team like KC or Detroit will sign him and he will do HORRIBLE. Stay away. He is NOT Tom Brady 2.0, NYMETS. Nothing like it. Brady comes along......once-odd in a generation by a freak chance, a la Matty Ryan due to Mike Vick.

Redsox5762
11-18-2008, 10:05 PM

Cassell is NOT a rookie. Flacco is not doing well, by the way. Cassel has had FOUR YEARS under the best coach and QB of all time--and look how good he is. NOT good.

Cassel is NOTHING like Matty Ryan. Matty Ryan is a freak. He already plays like a vet. Cassel? Plays like playground touch football......

sportpro70
11-18-2008, 10:21 PM
Cassell is NOT a rookie. Flacco is not doing well, by the way. Cassel has had FOUR YEARS under the best coach and QB of all time--and look how good he is. NOT good.

Cassel is NOTHING like Matty Ryan. Matty Ryan is a freak. He already plays like a vet. Cassel? Plays like playground touch football......

Dude, my whole point was that it wouldn't be worth signing, and that it could cost more than he's worth... but anyways, thanks for proving my point! Oh and BTW, where did i say that Cassel was a rookie?!

Flacco is 6-4 with a 77.2 QB rating, and has only thrown 2 INT's over the last 5 games, thats pretty good for a rookie from division I-AA

griff141
11-19-2008, 05:45 PM
I think the only way we franchise him is if we can work out a trade with another team and get something for him.