PDA

View Full Version : Can the Dallas Mavericks do anything to get better right now?

JordansBulls
11-14-2008, 12:10 PM
I am still amazed that this is essentially the same team from 2006 that went to the finals and won 60 games and the one that won 67 games the next year, except now they have Kidd instead of Harris.

What can the Mavericks do to get better? Should they go after someone that maybe available on the market? Should they trade Dirk for Boozer or something like that?

Thoughts!!!

Lakers4ItAll
11-14-2008, 12:18 PM
I deff think they need to make some trades ect. not sure what exactly but I don't think Dirk is a great # 1 option so trading him would be a good start

cubulls
11-14-2008, 12:22 PM
I'm surprised they stuck with Dampier all this time. You would think that with all the money Cuban has, they would at least go after a good center.

$ NyC $
11-14-2008, 12:23 PM
They should start playing Gerald Green more than 30 minutes. Make him a full time starter the Mavs lack scoring punch. 2 #2 option scorers in Dirk and Josh Dirk is a questionable #1 (i think he makes the cut) and other than them not much. Gerald Green can give them 17 ppg as a #3 option and som1 4 Kidd 2 throw it up 2. I think that move in itself can help.

SteveNash
11-14-2008, 12:30 PM
Trade Kidd back for Harris.

Lakers4ItAll
11-14-2008, 12:32 PM
There arent that many Centers out there to just go get....

I'm surprised they stuck with Dampier all this time. You would think that with all the money Cuban has, they would at least go after a good center.

NYKnickFanatic
11-14-2008, 12:38 PM

Yeah, that trade killed them.
Kidd is aging and Harris will be a star.

superkegger
11-14-2008, 12:41 PM
Dampier has actually been pretty decent this year...

And I don't think Gerald Green is the answer to their problems.

I don't really know why they aren't winning, but I think they might need to consider really shaking things up if they aren't on the right track by the end of december...like moving josh howard, terry, and stack...

JordansBulls
11-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Dampier has actually been pretty decent this year...

And I don't think Gerald Green is the answer to their problems.

I don't really know why they aren't winning, but I think they might need to consider really shaking things up if they aren't on the right track by the end of december...like moving josh howard, terry, and stack...

I think this may be the time to move Dirk as well. Because more than likely he won't resign with them. So they may be able to get a decent package for him.

Maybe the Bulls could offer something to get Dirk.

pippsux
11-14-2008, 01:48 PM
This is a surprise. I knew they were not top 4 out west anymore, but not this bad. Essentially the same team with the addition of a hall of fame point guard and a defensive coach and no injuries. Very strange one to put a finger on. With as much talent as they have, it's just a matter of time before they go on a winning streak and get back on track.

$ NyC $
11-14-2008, 02:14 PM
^maybe.

JordansBulls
11-14-2008, 03:10 PM
This is a surprise. I knew they were not top 4 out west anymore, but not this bad. Essentially the same team with the addition of a hall of fame point guard and a defensive coach and no injuries. Very strange one to put a finger on. With as much talent as they have, it's just a matter of time before they go on a winning streak and get back on track.

Yeah I remember them starting off 0-4 in 2006-2007 before they went ahead and won 67 games

Aapox
11-14-2008, 03:20 PM
Jason Kidd said it in the Mavs/Bulls post game:

Play Defense

mjt20mik
11-14-2008, 03:25 PM
Yeah, that trade killed them.
Kidd is aging and Harris will be a star.

That was probably one of the dumbest moves for Dallas. They really had no problem with their team, in the west. They just pulled the trigger cause Cuban wanted Kidd, and cause everyone else was doing it.

Silly move.

$ NyC $
11-14-2008, 03:28 PM
True. Even Kidd said play D, and when Harris was with the Mavs he was great at D.

JordansBulls
11-14-2008, 03:35 PM
That was probably one of the dumbest moves for Dallas. They really had no problem with their team, in the west. They just pulled the trigger cause Cuban wanted Kidd, and cause everyone else was doing it.

Silly move.

They did it IMO because the Lakers had just gotten Gasol which is crazy to make a move because of that. If it was Terry they gave up then fine, but not a 25 year old Harris.

Missing56&33
11-14-2008, 03:40 PM
to be honest. NO... Dallas has been good for years... they should have finished the deal when they beat the Spurs and had the Heat down 2-0 and close to 3-0 but they didn't and its basically about starting all over now. AJ was the best thing they had going as far as the future but when u get that close you have to finish the deal. Like Sac in 2002 vs the Lakers, u have to take your opportunities when u get them because they may never come again, or in a long time.

Spurred1
11-14-2008, 03:48 PM
Probably nothing; now's the time to trade Dirk and Josh away for some younger players and rebuild. They are the only assets at this point. No one will take Dampier (although he's actually been alive these last two games.)since he's got a horrid contract. Terry sucks most of the time, plus he's got a bad contract as well. Chuck this season away and just play the younger guys, esp. Green so they can improve. The Mavs have their draft pick for 2009; they need to use it wisely(no Ager, part 2) and just work on starting over.

superkegger
11-14-2008, 03:54 PM
Well I took a quick glance at the stats,

19th in ppg
24th in fg%
24th in 3pt % (which isn't necessarily a telling stat, except they take 9th most per game)
They're actually tied for 5th in rebounding
They're middle of the pack in terms of apg, and they don't turn the ball over a lot (12th least per game)
8th in opposing teams fg%
8th in opposing teams 3pt %
But somehow 9th in (or 21st) in points allowed...
Teams shoot 82.6% at the line vs. the Mavs (highest in the league)

So their ppg differential is -3.7 even though they hold teams to a low fg and 3pt %. Teams do take 6 more free throws per game than the mavs do, and make a very good percentage.

So the stats aren't all that telling except that their offense is struggling while they hold teams to a bad fg%, they don't stop them from scoring. I don't know, its rather weird.

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-14-2008, 03:58 PM
I think this may be the time to move Dirk as well. Because more than likely he won't resign with them. So they may be able to get a decent package for him.

Maybe the Bulls could offer something to get Dirk.

I dont think Dirk is the answer for your Bulls. He is another outside shooter. The Bulls need to get a post guy to get an inside outside game going. The Bulls should go after Boozer. Maybe a 3 way trade with the Jazz, Bulls and Mavs. Dirk is great from the outside, but has a horrible shooting % from inside 15 feet. You dont need 7 footers who cant make a layup.

Chronz
11-14-2008, 04:56 PM
Told you I never liked this teams chances JB, I didnt expect Dirk and co to struggle this bad though so they should pick it up considerably.

JordansBulls
11-14-2008, 04:58 PM
Told you I never liked this teams chances JB, I didnt expect Dirk and co to struggle this bad though so they should pick it up considerably.

I thought with Carlisle things would have been different. Seems like they aren't motivated and they lost their mojo.

nik.jd.aitken
11-14-2008, 05:13 PM

I really, really wish we could do that.

superkegger
11-14-2008, 05:14 PM
The more I think about this team, the less talented I think they really are, and the less I like how they fit together. They're a little too old without an old reliable like the Spurs have with TD. The complete lack of a post presence for the mavs hurts. They're a jumpshooting team. No one really is a slasher or attacker.

Lakersfan2483
11-14-2008, 05:19 PM
The Mavs are searching for an identity right now, with Avery,they had one. Also, that trade hurt their team, Jason Kidd does not fit their team. Dirk has to take some of the blame, he has to start playing better and take on a more active role as the leader.

*They need a post presence and Dirk refuses to be a post player.

Lone Maverick
11-14-2008, 05:27 PM
Any team can always do something to improve. The bigger question is what can they do, and tbh I don't really know. I mean I'd say give Green and Bass more minutes and try to get some low post presence at center via trade or in the off season. I know trading Dirk and or Howard is a popular idea but seeing as Dirk is my fave player and I like howard as well I don't want to see that happen.

Lakersfan2483
11-14-2008, 05:29 PM
I don't forsee Mark Cuban letting this team keep falling in the standings, I expect him to make a trade if they continue on their current slide.

#1Mavericksfan
11-14-2008, 06:22 PM
Probably nothing; now's the time to trade Dirk and Josh away for some younger players and rebuild. They are the only assets at this point. No one will take Dampier (although he's actually been alive these last two games.)since he's got a horrid contract. Terry sucks most of the time, plus he's got a bad contract as well. Chuck this season away and just play the younger guys, esp. Green so they can improve. The Mavs have their draft pick for 2009; they need to use it wisely(no Ager, part 2) and just work on starting over.

Yeah and you claim your not a Mavs hater but everything you just said sounds like something a hater would say, the last thing on Cuban mind right now is trading Dirk...Cuban will trade everybody on the team before he trades Dirk so deal with and I know how bad you want Dirk traded so the Mavs can suck even more, Oh and the last time I checked your Spurs suck to but I don't see you talking about trading any of there players and if the Spurs still suck when Parker and Ginobili come back then they should consider rebuilding.

ARMIN12NBA
11-14-2008, 06:40 PM
They need a point guard like Devin Harris. Oh wait...

eugene
11-14-2008, 07:03 PM
Dirk is really strugles. He looks exhausted, no more energy... Maybe it's time for him to go? Or the Mavs should change his supporting cast? Just trade Terry and/or Howard? Terry and Howard to Miami for Marion and Banks?

Dirk4theW1n
11-14-2008, 07:10 PM
Trading Dirk,Howard or even Kidd is not the answer, that will only hurt the team more. We need better bench as well as to play better D because it seems that the intensity that was built up in the first half just goes away in the second half.

MiamiHeat
11-14-2008, 07:15 PM
it all started in the finals
then it all went down hill from there

sunsalltheway03
11-14-2008, 07:19 PM
Dirk is really strugles. He looks exhausted, no more energy... Maybe it's time for him to go? Or the Mavs should change his supporting cast? Just trade Terry and/or Howard? Terry and Howard to Miami for Marion and Banks?

That would be so lopsided of a deal. Terry is an above average guy who when he gets hot, can take over a game, and Howard is an amzing player who can create shots and penetrate in the lane. Marion is the closest in talent to either of those, but Banks is nothing.

I think the Mavericks have to look at their bench. Figure out their lineups. See what lineups are producing the most and go from their.

superkegger
11-14-2008, 07:24 PM
maybe they should get antoine walker back...

KB24PG16
11-14-2008, 09:43 PM
they dont have a real shooting guard terry and stackhouse arent going to do it.... trade terry and dampier u already paying diop 6 mil a year use him

-PRIMETIME-
11-14-2008, 10:08 PM
trade the ENTIRE team for Dwight Howard...

sign Lebron when he is free by offering him a ridiculous amount of money...

fill the rest of the spaces up with scrubs and build around Lebron and Dwight...

problem solved...

BlondeBomber41
11-14-2008, 10:25 PM
Dont trade Dirk, but I would like to see some shakeups. There has got to be something out there they can do.... the Celtics turned the worst team in the league into a Championship team in one offseason. The Mavs have some savvy GM's and leadership, they gotta do something.

Their main problem is they cant play in the 4th quarter. Every loss has been because they choked on a fat dong in the 4th quarter. Its so frustrating.

S.J.Basketball
11-14-2008, 10:32 PM
After being raped by the Warriors the Mavericks never recovered. In fact they got an aging point guard way past his prime instead of going for something that would make more sense.

Like...a new CENTER! Dampier is garbage. Get anyone...anything...anywhere....Dampier is FAIL! Might as well have Mbenga as the starter.

Ryan328
11-14-2008, 10:36 PM
They look good tonight.....so far

SteveNash
11-14-2008, 10:52 PM
Trading Dirk,Howard or even Kidd is not the answer, that will only hurt the team more. We need better bench as well as to play better D because it seems that the intensity that was built up in the first half just goes away in the second half.

Kidd and Dirk can't play D so I think that is the answer.

Spurred1
11-15-2008, 04:38 AM
Yeah and you claim your not a Mavs hater but everything you just said sounds like something a hater would say, the last thing on Cuban mind right now is trading Dirk...Cuban will trade everybody on the team before he trades Dirk so deal with and I know how bad you want Dirk traded so the Mavs can suck even more, Oh and the last time I checked your Spurs suck to but I don't see you talking about trading any of there players and if the Spurs still suck when Parker and Ginobili come back then they should consider rebuilding.
Quite a overreaction and misinterpretation of the post. Let me clarify a few things here:
1. It is unrealistic to expect this team to get anything done as currently constructed-they had a good run, but it's over. Time to break it up and move on.
2. Comparing the Spurs and Mavs makes no sense.Spurs are rediscovering their defense and used it in order to win against the Rockets tonight. They are not doing very well since two of their main scorers are out, which is a pretty good explanation for their struggles. Thankfully, the bench is also stepping up for the Spurs. The Mavs really have no actual reasons for their struggles.
3. The Spurs are consistent and have proven that they generally know how to draft, trade, and add the right players to their roster. I cannot say this about the Mavs right now-they signed Green who's doing very well, but they also signed Diop and Devean George, both horrible mistakes, judging from what I've seen. The Mavs as a whole do not play defense-when they go into scoring droughts they have nothing to fall back on.
4. If, for some bizarre reason, Parker and Ginobili came back and they sucked, I would not consider trading them because they will have been out of the game for a while and will probably be rusty. However, I don't see that happening-they will both recover and the Spurs will turn out fine as long as Duncan and Pop are there.
I fail to see how the post was interpreted as hating. I choose to face reality; trading away Dirk or Howard would be best for the long run because the Mavs can get some younger guys and start rebuilding. That is what they need to do-why prolong the torture?
I would love to be proven wrong about all of this, but I doubt I will be.

IU Hoosiers 3
11-15-2008, 05:44 AM
I miss terry and dev being the PG's and letting an actual SG play, i loved kidd earlier in his career with dallas and the nets, but as much as I like seein him back in big D, dev was a big part of the future and now they're just crumbling. Jet said watch out if we win one game cause we'll tear it up from there but I just don't see that happening unfortunately.

TMAC94
11-15-2008, 05:47 AM
why did gerald green only play 12 mins ?

JordansBulls
11-15-2008, 11:17 AM
why did gerald green only play 12 mins ?

Because Josh Howard is back.

BkOriginalOne
11-15-2008, 11:26 AM
move terry for a nice starting 2 guard.

codes238
11-15-2008, 11:50 AM
The more I think about this team, the less talented I think they really are, and the less I like how they fit together. They're a little too old without an old reliable like the Spurs have with TD. The complete lack of a post presence for the mavs hurts. They're a jumpshooting team. No one really is a slasher or attacker.

the thing with the mavs is that theres this weird phenomenon where people refuse to believe that jason kidd of 2008 isnt the jason kidd of 2002 anymore... he's a bad shooter, a bad defender and he doesnt have the speed anymore to run a consistently good fast break... at this point of his career he's basically a slightly better and bigger version of brevin knight... this isnt a bad thing, but youre nto winning a championship with brevin knight running the show... also stack is too old and useless... damp and diop are both below average centers... antoine wright and gerald green are way too incosistent... terry is slowing down too... that basically leaves dirk and howard and im sorry mavs fans but youre not winning anythign is the western conference with dirk and howard as your only reliable players... i think theyll let this group play out the year but when they dont make the playoffs or lose to the lakers in the first round, its gonna be rebuilding time... and one last thing, i know this has been beaten to death already but that kidd/harris deal was absolutely ********!

thapharcyd
11-15-2008, 12:23 PM
Avery Johnson is smiling somewhere

Six6Rings
11-15-2008, 12:54 PM
Jason Kidd has clearly slowed this team down. He was great in his prime, but face it Kidd is done.....Hinrich is available. Put a nice package together, maybe Brandon Bass and Stackhouse for Kirk Hinrich. Kidd would be a great backup and mentor.

Dirk is not the problem!

soulslice
11-16-2008, 12:45 AM
nope rebuilding time... they committed suicide when they traded for Jason Kidd

Chronz
11-16-2008, 12:55 AM
You guys are blaming the wrong Maverick, Kidd has played great thus far its Howard and Terry that need to pick up the slack. Dirk as played below expectations but not the way those 2 have.

#1Mavericksfan
11-16-2008, 02:01 AM
Quite a overreaction and misinterpretation of the post. Let me clarify a few things here:
1. It is unrealistic to expect this team to get anything done as currently constructed-they had a good run, but it's over. Time to break it up and move on.
2. Comparing the Spurs and Mavs makes no sense.Spurs are rediscovering their defense and used it in order to win against the Rockets tonight. They are not doing very well since two of their main scorers are out, which is a pretty good explanation for their struggles. Thankfully, the bench is also stepping up for the Spurs. The Mavs really have no actual reasons for their struggles.
3. The Spurs are consistent and have proven that they generally know how to draft, trade, and add the right players to their roster. I cannot say this about the Mavs right now-they signed Green who's doing very well, but they also signed Diop and Devean George, both horrible mistakes, judging from what I've seen. The Mavs as a whole do not play defense-when they go into scoring droughts they have nothing to fall back on.
4. If, for some bizarre reason, Parker and Ginobili came back and they sucked, I would not consider trading them because they will have been out of the game for a while and will probably be rusty. However, I don't see that happening-they will both recover and the Spurs will turn out fine as long as Duncan and Pop are there.
I fail to see how the post was interpreted as hating. I choose to face reality; trading away Dirk or Howard would be best for the long run because the Mavs can get some younger guys and start rebuilding. That is what they need to do-why prolong the torture?
I would love to be proven wrong about all of this, but I doubt I will be.

I'm not "overreaction or misinterpretation" anything I just find it funny how your quick to bash the Mavericks but I never see you bashing your own team or anybody else team but you quick to bash the Mavs I just find it funny.

1. Ok...I don't know how you can write a team off in 9 games into a 82 game long season, they have a new coach and new system to learn and your ready to blow the entire thing up already.

2. The guys played in Avery's system for almost 4 season and now they have a new system to learn and your not even giving them time to learn it so did you ever think that's the reason why there struggling?...instead of bashing them all the time, and let's not talk about defense please!!!...the Spurs give up 95.3 ppg and the Mavs only give up 99.4 ppg that's not much a difference there and I find it easy for the Spurs to beat a Rockets team that didn't even have there starting PG.

3. So you mean to tell me the Mavs don't know how to draft, trade and add players are you serious? WOW just WOW...Ok then what about getting Dirk, Devin Harris and Josh Howard in the Draft or signing Marquis Daniels and Gerald Green and Brandon Bass as a free agents, Diop and George were provide the Mavs with defense something the Mavs needed in the Hornets series so you want say they where "horrible mistakes" and the Mavs don't play defense, the Mavs tried to get Diop back in a sign in trade with New Jersey but they didn't want Stackhouse so the Mavs had other plans for there mid level exception but the Mavs really needed a center other than another guard.

4. At the end of the day it really doesn't matter what trades, signings the Mavs make because your gonna find someting negative to say about anyway so it doesn't even matter, trading Dirk, Josh and Jason Kidd would make the Mavs only worse at this point, the only way Cuban would trade Dirk is if he got a star in return not just scrubs and draft picks like you want and they wouldn't even help the team, If the team is still struggling Cuban has already said that he was gonna blow it up after new years.

theimortalone
11-16-2008, 02:41 AM

Exactly what I was thinking! NJ got the better deal! Harris is gonna be a superstar, and Kidd is past his prime.

Spurred1
11-16-2008, 04:21 PM
You guys are blaming the wrong Maverick, Kidd has played great thus far its Howard and Terry that need to pick up the slack. Dirk as played below expectations but not the way those 2 have.
True to some extent. Kidd has played as best as he can-he was never brought in for his offensive abilities and he's not been disappointing this season. He doesn't fit, but his play isn't the one killing the Mavs.
Terry shoots bricks and doesn't do anything else- when he's hot, he can score 30 a night. Problem is, he's not hot very often and there's no reason to think that will change. He's getting older. Dirk has been very inconsistent and he's not rebounding well at all. Howard is a hard one to figure out, he can be inconsistent too. Hell, essentially the whole team is.
The Mavs as of now seem content with building a huge lead thinking that it will be enough to hold off the other team and completely abandon the concept of defense. Sad..

Hawkeye15
11-16-2008, 04:25 PM
Both the Suns and Mavs made kneejerk trades after the Gasol deal. It killed them both. At this point, they would be better off trading Dirk for youth and draft picks, while he still has such high trade value.

Spurred1
11-16-2008, 04:29 PM
Both the Suns and Mavs made kneejerk trades after the Gasol deal. It killed them both. At this point, they would be better off trading Dirk for youth and draft picks, while he still has such high trade value.
Not sure the Shaq trade was that bad. He's surprised me and seems pretty active; he's serving as a good mentor to Amare and takes some of the focus off of him. Shaq appeared to be the only effective player in the Rockets/Suns game. It is early in the season, but the team is doing nicely with him...

JordansBulls
11-16-2008, 06:03 PM

The Suns deal wasn't that bad IMO considering how Shaq is playing vs how Marion is playing.

dre1990
11-16-2008, 06:16 PM
tthey should trade dirk.

Hawkeye15
11-16-2008, 06:29 PM
The Suns deal wasn't that bad IMO considering how Shaq is playing vs how Marion is playing.

they are no longer contenders, that is all I meant

LeBrowns
11-17-2008, 12:28 AM
Dallas has always been one scoring bigman away from the ring, and that remains the same this season. Some think it may already be too late.

Bulls09champs
11-17-2008, 12:49 AM
TRADE DIRK TO THE BULLS..........
http://games.espn.go.com/nba/features/traderesult?players=609~802~356~2456~3032&teams=4~4~6~6~6&te=&cash=

U guys would get Larry Hughes who expires in 2010, our hottest player beside BG & D-Rose... NOCIONI... and Tyrus Thomas... plus we could throw in a future 1st round pick