PDA

View Full Version : Is Iverson in the Top 10 players ever list?

michaellui11
11-14-2008, 11:29 AM
I think yes

innovator
11-14-2008, 11:31 AM
yes, but he wont get much respect here in psd

lakers4sho
11-14-2008, 11:36 AM
I think yes

I think no.

JordansBulls
11-14-2008, 11:37 AM
I like Iverson and I think people don't give him enough credit but how is he better than any of these guys:

Michael Jordan
Wilt Chamberlain
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
Larry Bird
Bill Russell
Shaquille O'Neal
Oscar Robertson
Hakeem Olajuwon
Tim Duncan
Jerry West
Julius Erving
Moses Malone
Elgin Baylor
Bob Pettit
John Havlicek
Karl Malone
George Mikan
David Robinson
Isiah Thomas
Charles Barkley
John Stockton
Bob Cousy
Kobe Bryant
Rick Barry
Scottie Pippen
Clyde Drexler
Gary Payton
Willis Reed
Patrick Ewing
Walt Frazier
Jason Kidd
Kevin Garnett
Kevin McHale
Dominique Wilkins

If you think Iverson belongs in the top 20 for that matter, you have a lot to learn about the NBA over the years. It's one thing to say he is a top 10 player that you have seen, it is another to say he is a top 10 player ever based on the entire history of the NBA.

ink
11-14-2008, 12:00 PM
^ Good post JB. Top 10 all time? Not a chance.

23LBJCleBrowns
11-14-2008, 12:01 PM
No...

Lakers4ItAll
11-14-2008, 12:19 PM
I think AI is the best player EVER for his size. Top 10? I'm not sure tho

J-Relo
11-14-2008, 12:23 PM
nope...

but he still has some time to prove something more...

Ni55anpat
11-14-2008, 12:27 PM
Who cares

He is top 10 guard off all time

Kaptain Kanada
11-14-2008, 12:29 PM
Saying AI is in the top 10 of all time is a pretty ridiculous statement.

SteveNash
11-14-2008, 12:29 PM
I like Iverson and I think people don't give him enough credit but how is he better than any of these guys:

If you think Iverson belongs in the top 20 for that matter, you have a lot to learn about the NBA over the years. It's one thing to say he is a top 10 player that you have seen, it is another to say he is a top 10 player ever based on the entire history of the NBA.

Well he's definitely over Cousy, that's about it.

hotpotato1092
11-14-2008, 02:21 PM
He's not even top 20, and by the time LeBron, Wade, Melo, Bosh, Durant, Howard, Amare, Paul, D-williams, and Yao are done tearing up the league he may not be top 30.

Hawkeye15
11-14-2008, 02:25 PM
best player ever under 6'. Top 50 all time.

sportsnutzz
11-14-2008, 02:31 PM
wow no! You can't be a top 10 player, and be a completely "me" player. Iverson has spent his career thinking about himself. I think top 30 players or maybe more even have to be team players also.

mrblisterdundee
11-14-2008, 02:42 PM
He is one of the top ten scoring guards of all time.

UofA
11-14-2008, 02:49 PM
No.

Aapox
11-14-2008, 03:19 PM
No. Why?

Because his playing style is not conducive to winning. He is, as the poster ahead of me said, a top ten scoring guard.

LAKERS 24/7
11-14-2008, 03:26 PM
yes, but he wont get much respect here in psd

lol. You've just lost some respect in my book man. No way is he top 10 all time.

As someone above me alluded to, his playing style is too chaotic. No one knows what he's about to do on offense, so their can't really be any consistency with other players. Chemistry is hard to build that way. Charles Barkley also said last night that he needs to trust his teammates more, because he dominates the ball too much. He's also a poor man-to-man defender, which causes holes in his team's defense. This is why the pistons are going to lose to the Lakers tonight. :D

Other than that I love him as a player because he leaves it all out there on the court.

BK-TY
11-14-2008, 03:28 PM
Top 10 for...

1. Sixers history (maybe)
2. Players under 6 feet
3. Scorers in the last 10 years
4. Players last season
5. Players from Georgetown
and
6. Players in the league from VA

But top 10 all time?? NEGATIVE. I don't even think you can be considered for that list without a championship under your belt. Even top 50 for AI is a stretch.

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-14-2008, 03:36 PM
I think Iverson is great. I cant believe some of the stats he puts up at his size. That being said I could give two craps about stats! Watching him play kind of disgust me. He is a black hole on offense. His assist come from him trying his best to score but being forced to hit someone else for a shot. He is an absolute garbage defender. So not only does he hurt you on offense, he hurts you on defense.

He can not fit into any system. He has to be on a team built a certain way. They have to have a point guard that will be tall enough to guard bigger shooting guards. Typically, there are not too many point guards able to handle that task. Which is why Denver was such a bad defensive team. They had too small guys in the back court forcing their big men to guard shooting guards ala K Mart on Kobe in last years playoffs. You just have to look at what A.I. has done for the Pistons. He is giving them problems cause he can not adjust his game or does not fit well with teams not built exclusively around him. The Pistons are in real trouble this year with him there. Their defense is going to take a big hit.

A.I. is a true Warrior. I just would NEVER want him on my team. That fact alone make me not want to put him in the top 50. 27 points per game or not.

JordansBulls
11-14-2008, 03:39 PM
I think Iverson is great. I cant believe some of the stats he puts up at his size. That being said I could give two craps about stats! Watching him play kind of disgust me. He is a black hole on offense. His assist come from him trying his best to score but being forced to hit someone else for a shot. He is an absolute garbage defender. So not only does he hurt you on offense, he hurts you on defense.

He can not fit into any system. He has to be on a team built a certain way. They have to have a point guard that will be tall enough to guard bigger shooting guards. Typically, there are not too many point guards able to handle that task. Which is why Denver was such a bad defensive team. They had too small guys in the back court forcing their big men to guard shooting guards ala K Mart on Kobe in last years playoffs. You just have to look at what A.I. has done for the Pistons. He is giving them problems cause he can not adjust his game or does not fit well with teams not built exclusively around him. The Pistons are in real trouble this year with him there. Their defense is going to take a big hit.

A.I. is a true Warrior. I just would NEVER want him on my team. That fact alone make me not want to put him in the top 50. 27 points per game or not.

To me the best type of player he could play with would be someone like Penny Hardaway. Because Penny was a 6'7" PG so on offense he could run it and on defense he could defend the other team's SG.

ink
11-14-2008, 03:39 PM
He can not fit into any system. He has to be on a team built a certain way.

And even a team custom built for him won't win.

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-14-2008, 03:51 PM
To me the best type of player he could play with would be someone like Penny Hardaway. Because Penny was a 6'7" PG so on offense he could run it and on defense he could defend the other team's SG.

I had him in mind when I was typing that last post. Him or Billups. Too bad they got traded for eachother.

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-14-2008, 03:54 PM
And even a team custom built for him won't win.

Agreed. He had his window. But I think its pretty much closed now. If he wants to get a ring, he is going to have to join a really good team and come off the bench to give them a great scorer who wont be abused by the opposing starting guards.

unwantedplayer
11-14-2008, 03:58 PM
No, Paul Pierce is one of the best all time :bs:

Soto>Norris
11-14-2008, 04:04 PM
not even one of the top 10 active players: (in no particular order):
LBJ
Duncan
KG
Melo
Pierce
Amare
Dwight
Nash
Kobe
Paul

Among at least five other players are all better than AI.

Missing56&33
11-14-2008, 04:04 PM
I guess so. he need a championship to remain there though

dbow1920
11-14-2008, 04:08 PM
one of the best players ever to play the game, but he isnt top 10 by any means

bostncelts34
11-14-2008, 04:16 PM
top 10 scorers on all time. Yes. maybe even top 5. But top 10 ever overall? no way.

I give iverson HUGE props. he is a hell of a player, and the best at his size ever. But just too many good players to play the game of basketball to say hes top 10

_Sn1P3r_
11-14-2008, 05:29 PM
Top 10 overall.. nope.

Lakersfan2483
11-14-2008, 05:47 PM
I think yes

No, he's not a top ten guy.

Top ten: In No particular order

Jordan, Magic, Wilt, Kareem, Russell, Oscar, Duncan, Hakeem, Bird, Shaq

Iverson is amongst the top 50 greatest of all-time.

JJ81
11-14-2008, 05:53 PM
No

JMKnick33
11-14-2008, 06:14 PM
Hey, I myself am a Iverson fan. I just simply love watching his game. But to put him on the top 10 of all time, nahh. I can easily name 20 players better, because they simply have rings and were winners. Iverson is a winner too, but I guess it's just been unfortunate for him to never be on a great 'team', until now. If he can win 2 or 3 rings before his career is over, then I'd put him maybe in the top 15 at best.

If we were to name the title of the thread as, "top 10 most talented of all time", then I think he should be in the top 10, because of his skill set, his athletic ability, and his endurance. He goes to the hole maybe 20 times a game, 82 times a year, and has been doing it for the past 12 years. He has some serious endurance.

So, top 10 players of all time, no. But he'd be in my top 10 most talented list.

ARMIN12NBA
11-14-2008, 06:15 PM

Michael Jordan
Wilt Chamberlain
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
Larry Bird
Bill Russell
Shaquille O'Neal
Oscar Robertson
Hakeem Olajuwon
Tim Duncan
Jerry West
Julius Erving
Moses Malone
Elgin Baylor
Bob Pettit
John Havlicek
Karl Malone
George Mikan
David Robinson
Isiah Thomas
Charles Barkley
John Stockton
Bob Cousy
Kobe Bryant
Rick Barry
Scottie Pippen
Clyde Drexler
Gary Payton
Willis Reed
Patrick Ewing
Walt Frazier
Jason Kidd
Kevin Garnett
Kevin McHale
Dominique Wilkins

Agreed. This guy has to read up on his history. There are WAY too many great players to have Iverson in the Top 10 of all-time.

A better discussion of current players for Top 10 would be Shaquille O'neal, Tim Duncan, and Kobe Bryant.

alexander_37
11-14-2008, 06:18 PM
he may be a top 10 scorer and he is tough as nails but prob. not even top 30

IndyRealist
11-14-2008, 06:19 PM
He's top 10 toughest players of all time.
Top 10 players to change the way the game is played. Someone has a Kyle Weaver quote to that effect....
But top 10 all time? Nah.

THE MTL
11-14-2008, 07:36 PM
Iverson isnt a Top 10 player ever. He might be the best little man to play to the game. But He is def. Top 50 player of all time. Hopefully he reaches 30,000 career points, then he will be in the higher tier of the Top 50. Iverson and Lebron have the best chance at reaching 30,000 career points of the active NBA players.

KB24PG16
11-14-2008, 09:39 PM
not even close

Duncan = Donkey
11-14-2008, 09:52 PM
no

rosesbulls
11-14-2008, 11:56 PM
no

jetsfan28
11-14-2008, 11:59 PM
No. He gets beat too much on defense, and a guy who only contributes scoring can't be a top 10 player.

29$JerZ
11-15-2008, 12:02 AM
Best Scoring Guard maybe, Top ten no.

kswissdaf
11-15-2008, 12:07 AM
top 50 if he wins a championship but he is a HOF which i think is no secret

Hawkeye15
11-15-2008, 12:18 AM
I am a monster Iverson fan. Have been since I saw him play in person. He is pound for pound, the toughest player today. He is a great scorer, reaks havoc in the passing lanes, and is one of the toughest players ever to stay in front of. But, he gambles on defense, has a questionable shot selection, and hasn't made his game better since he started. The greatest players, come into the league, and are already good. But, they spend the offseason improving a small area that will make them better, whether that be thier left hand, a new go to move, drop step, whatever. Iverson has always lived off pure ability, and could have been better. But he refused to work on his already awesome game, and enter that top whatever conversation. I still have to say, I love his game. He is a bada$$

-PRIMETIME-
11-15-2008, 12:23 AM
Saying AI is in the top 10 of all time is a pretty ridiculous statement.

agreed...

delete thread...this is non-sense

he doesn't even have a ring

he isn't even a top 10 player RIGHT NOW!!!

-PRIMETIME-
11-15-2008, 12:24 AM
A better discussion of current players for Top 10 would be Shaquille O'neal, Tim Duncan, and Kobe Bryant.

yes, yes, and no...not yet anyway...win a ring without Shaq first.

DreamShaker
11-15-2008, 12:44 AM
Not even close.....and I am a HUGE Iverson fan....

hdxstunts1
11-15-2008, 01:26 AM
NO, NO, NO! No wear near it. Top 50 maybe but not top 10!

FortyDubs
11-15-2008, 02:12 AM
He's way better than most people give him credit for. But by no means is he a top 10 ever.

phils07
11-15-2008, 02:27 AM
N.o.

SAVAGE CLAW
11-15-2008, 02:40 AM
Mmm , Kobe, Wade, Jordan, Drexler, Reggie Miller, Alex English, Adrian Dantley, Joe Dumars,Cedric Maxwell,Van Arsdale,Jerry West....... Not even top 10 Sg.

Lakersfan2483
11-15-2008, 04:30 AM
I am a monster Iverson fan. Have been since I saw him play in person. He is pound for pound, the toughest player today. He is a great scorer, reaks havoc in the passing lanes, and is one of the toughest players ever to stay in front of. But, he gambles on defense, has a questionable shot selection, and hasn't made his game better since he started. The greatest players, come into the league, and are already good. But, they spend the offseason improving a small area that will make them better, whether that be thier left hand, a new go to move, drop step, whatever. Iverson has always lived off pure ability, and could have been better. But he refused to work on his already awesome game, and enter that top whatever conversation. I still have to say, I love his game. He is a bada$$

Well said, very true about Iverson.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-15-2008, 04:59 AM

Michael Jordan
Wilt Chamberlain
Kareem Abdul-Jabbar
Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
Larry Bird
Bill Russell
Shaquille O'Neal
Oscar Robertson
Hakeem Olajuwon
Tim Duncan
Jerry West
Julius Erving
Moses Malone
Elgin Baylor
Bob Pettit
John Havlicek
Karl Malone
George Mikan
David Robinson
Isiah Thomas
Charles Barkley
John Stockton
Bob Cousy
Kobe Bryant
Rick Barry
Scottie Pippen
Clyde Drexler
Gary Payton
Willis Reed
Patrick Ewing
Walt Frazier
Jason Kidd
Kevin Garnett
Kevin McHale
Dominique Wilkins

I Agree with everyone you posted except for GP. so if that's in no particular order AI isn't top ten.

One of the all time greats tho.

BigSteve
11-16-2008, 05:38 AM
I Agree with everyone you posted except for GP. so if that's in no particular order AI isn't top ten.

One of the all time greats tho.

Really? I would take Gary Payton over Iverson in a heartbeat. Gary Payton was a good scorer, great assist man and one of the best defenders to ever play his position. In my book that beats great scorer, average assist man and defensive liablilty.

CELTICS4LYFE
11-16-2008, 11:59 AM
ever??!! hells no!!!! lol not even close top ten of his time yes!!!