PDA

View Full Version : Looking ahead: The free-agent class of 2009 (Ford)

DenButsu
11-13-2008, 09:20 PM
Chad Ford @ espn (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/columns/story?columnist=ford_chad&page=09FreeAgents-081113) (read the article for the Group II and Group III lists):

Looking ahead: The free-agent class of 2009

Only a few teams -- the Sixers, Clippers, Warriors and Grizzlies -- really had the money to pick up a free agent from another team. One of those teams, Memphis, decided not to spend its money (although it did make a play for Josh Smith) and entered the season nearly $10 million under the cap.

The other key factor is LeBron James. A number of teams are trying to make cap space for the summer of 2010. That happens to be the summer that LeBron, Dwyane Wade and Chris Bosh, among other stars, can hit free agency. So, for the first time in years, teams like the New York Knicks are being financially responsible.

Those two factors could end up causing some problems for a good but no longer stellar free-agent class of 2009. But it also means more teams will have money to spend in the summer.

With that said, let's take a look at who could be available in 2009:

Group I: The "Big 10" early termination or player option candidates

These are the players with an early termination option or a player option in their contracts, meaning they can opt to forgo the final year(s) of their deals and instead become unrestricted free agents in the summer of 2009. Here's the star-studded lineup:

1. Kobe Bryant, Lakers (ETO)
Two summers ago,...

2. Carlos Boozer, Jazz (PO)
Boozer is probably...

3. Jermaine O'Neal, Raptors (PO)
There's virtually no chance...

4. Mehmet Okur, Jazz (ETO)
Okur is also an...

5. Hedo Turkoglu, Magic (ETO)
Besides Boozer, Turkoglu is...

6. Jamal Crawford, Knicks (ETO)
It's hard to believe that...

7. Eddy Curry, Knicks (ETO)
Curry is in a similar situation to...

8. Anderson Varejao, Cavs (PO)
Varejao is another player who...

9. Al Harrington, Warriors (PO)
Harrington has been asking...

10. Kyle Korver, Jazz (ETO)
Korver is one of the...

Other notables: Zydrunas Ilgauskas, Cavs (ETO); Ricky Davis, Clippers (PO); Kwame Brown, Pistons (PO); Etan Thomas, Wizards (ETO); Mark Blount, Heat (ETO).

Group II: The restricted free agents

Group III: The real, honest-to-goodness unrestricted free agents

Lakers4ItAll
11-13-2008, 09:48 PM
Kwame Brown is NOT a notable!

JordansBulls
11-13-2008, 09:49 PM
Bulls would take Kobe, Boozer or Okur. But only Okur for under 10 million whereas Kobe or Boozer for 15+

Lakers4ItAll
11-13-2008, 09:53 PM
I don't think theres any chance Kobe opts out

njnets
11-13-2008, 10:35 PM
this might be the worst FA class EVER lol.

Lakers4ItAll
11-13-2008, 10:36 PM
Besides Kobe.... ;)

this might be the worst FA class EVER lol.

SAVAGE CLAW
11-13-2008, 10:58 PM
Kwame Brown INDEED is a NOTABle.

A Notable Bust..... that is....

PRETTY BIRD!
11-14-2008, 12:47 AM
I don't think theres any chance Kobe opts out

yeah man...the only way he opts out, is if he gets a multy -million dollar contract from europe...say about 35 million a year!

ac5320
11-14-2008, 01:02 AM
what the patriots should do is release the richard seymours, the tedy bruschi's, mike vrabel's of the league. Give them a big game and a lead at the end of the game and they will give you big fat LOSS. Its time something gets shaken up. I listen to sports radio all day every day and whenever they interview these players they always say how yes brady is hurt but we feel we can still win. They can only play good defense against awful teams. Give them a good team and they blow it. I am sick and tired of hearing about this great front seven or great D-line the patriots have. They dont have crap when it counts.

SAVAGE CLAW
11-14-2008, 01:03 AM
i dont think there is a single chance KOBE does NOT opt out.

Wait , dont jump over me, im not crazy!!!!

The way i see it, he is in his prime now, in two years he will be 33.

He can now opt out and get another 6 years FROM THE LAKERS, max or almost max contract.Specially since he can use the "euro" menace to threaten Lakers President.

On the other side if he waits , when he is 33 and as a logical consecuence he starts dropping it a bit, he may only get like a 3 years 10 million a year offer or so.

Gms are shortsighted, never forget it, so i think he will opt out to make a good resigning with lakers.

DenButsu
11-14-2008, 01:03 AM
what the patriots should do is release the richard seymours, the tedy bruschi's, mike vrabel's of the league. Give them a big game and a lead at the end of the game and they will give you big fat LOSS. Its time something gets shaken up. I listen to sports radio all day every day and whenever they interview these players they always say how yes brady is hurt but we feel we can still win. They can only play good defense against awful teams. Give them a good team and they blow it. I am sick and tired of hearing about this great front seven or great D-line the patriots have. They dont have crap when it counts.

Here's another idea... post this in the NFL forum...

iluvsports2much
11-14-2008, 01:34 AM

i have a feeling no nba team is gonna wanna pick up any of the guys you mentioned..lol anyway,i doubt kobe will opt outta his contract,if he does its to resign wit the lakers for a contract extension..kobe will not be a free agent in 09...so ya this would pretty much be da worst free agency ever..but lookin on the other side of kobes situation,because this woulb be da weakest free agency eva,why wouldnt kobe wanna test da market?there would be somewhere between 8-10 teams that would seriously consider signing him and all would put up top dollar,and with no other player to compete with kobe,i think next year is his final chance to get top dollar from any team...if he does opt out,i dont see a 5 year $135-140 million contract outta da question..i think hes staying wit my lakers tho.....:clap: