PDA

View Full Version : Kerry Wood

smarkow
11-13-2008, 08:07 PM
ESPN is reporting that the Cubbies acquired Kevin Gregg, a move that appears to end Kerry Wood's career with the team.

Do the Tigers jump on Kerry Wood? I think he would be a great addition. The pitching market is slim and he can definitely close games, or be a great set up guy. Not sure how long of a contract i'd be willing to give him, but we all know the guy can pitch.

Sheffies Chef
11-13-2008, 08:09 PM
i'd take him.

hell, i was advocating getting him last year at this time (or around it).

mark1125
11-13-2008, 09:33 PM
I wouldn't go more than 2 years. the price needs to be reasonable too. I am still hoping for Juan Cruz.

JackB
11-13-2008, 10:09 PM
Didn't visit the DL at least twice last year. His history is not good. I think I would pass.

babygranderson
11-14-2008, 06:46 AM
Exactly. Cruz is should be as good, if not better. More reliable health, and since unproven, significantly cheaper, too.

hoog
11-14-2008, 08:03 AM
Woods, I hear, wants a three/four year deal so the Tigers will sit this one out. I am a huge Juan Cruz booster but have yet to see anything in print that connects him to the Tigers. My fear is that he too will want a multi-year deal.

mark1125
11-14-2008, 08:17 AM
Woods, I hear, wants a three/four year deal so the Tigers will sit this one out. I am a huge Juan Cruz booster but have yet to see anything in print that connects him to the Tigers. My fear is that he too will want a multi-year deal.

3-4 years for Wood? Thanks but no thanks.

I would be willing to go 3 for Cruz, but as said, I have not heard of any interest from the Tigers. Maybe he is too young? Too consistant?

JackB
11-14-2008, 08:25 AM
These guys don't think Cruz is capable of closing

Read a small article on The Roto Authority Closer Review

All kinds of recent closer movement...

Kevin Gregg joined the Cubs, and it seems likely that Carlos Marmol gets first crack at the closer job. Gregg could still see a few saves, but Marmol is a far superior pitcher. Gregg's walk problems may catch up to him. On a related note, it wouldn't be surprising to see Jose Ceda getting saves in Florida within a few years.
The Rockies acquired Huston Street, and I believe Manny Corpas loses value with the move. Corpas was the clear favorite to close there. Of course, Corpas could still win the job or Street could be traded. But if Dan O'Dowd wisely hangs on to Street until at least midseason, he'll want to pump up his value with saves.
Keep an eye on Jeremy Affeldt. If he goes somewhere without a firm closer, it'd be a good career move. He's definitely capable of pitching the ninth inning. Juan Cruz seems a bit less capable, but he could get a shot.
Trevor Hoffman, Kerry Wood, and Brian Fuentes are all free agents unlikely to return to their old teams. All probably seek closing jobs, and Fuentes is certain to get one.
Brandon Lyon, Chad Cordero, Jason Isringhausen, Eddie Guardado, and Eric Gagne may not get another crack at the ninth.
Salomon Torres hung 'em up, so Milwaukee has an opening.
J.J. Putz and Bobby Jenks could be dealt, but they'd probably both still close.

hoog
11-14-2008, 10:44 AM
I wouldn't be opposed to shoring up the bullpen by signing both Cruz and Affeldt then letting them battle it out for the closer and set up positions. I think both could be had for say a 3 year deal at or around $4M a year. If nothing else they could be great bullpen help no matter what and those deals are comparable to good bullpen pitchers. Mix Zumaya, Seay, and a few others and you've shored up your bullpen for around $8M which Hoffman would cost anyway. You also did'nt jepordize your future. In three years these two will still be good bullpen guys.

Lionsforlife
11-14-2008, 12:51 PM
I wouldn't mind a Wood deal, but I think he is looking for a long term deal, which I would pass on. Plus, I think he's actually going to ask for big money, another thing DD has said they are probably staying a way from. I keep hearing Brandon Lyon's name connected to the Tigers. I don't know how I feel about that either.

mark1125
11-14-2008, 03:29 PM
I wouldn't be opposed to shoring up the bullpen by signing both Cruz and Affeldt then letting them battle it out for the closer and set up positions. I think both could be had for say a 3 year deal at or around $4M a year. If nothing else they could be great bullpen help no matter what and those deals are comparable to good bullpen pitchers. Mix Zumaya, Seay, and a few others and you've shored up your bullpen for around $8M which Hoffman would cost anyway. You also did'nt jepordize your future. In three years these two will still be good bullpen guys.

If $8 million is the price, I will take a pass on Hoffman. If we could land Cruzx and Affeldt, that would be solid. I still wouldn't mind seeing one other arm tossed in as I am not sold on most of the pen.

Bondomania
11-15-2008, 05:52 PM
there was an article a while ago on Mlbtraderumors that connected the tigers to both former d-backs... Lyon and Cruz.. it said the tigers were interested in them, however, it didn't go into great detail as to the level of interest, just that they were on their radar.. i would make an effort to sign both of them, then i would try and figure out a way to get JJ Putz.. that would make for a pretty solid BP, especially if Zumaya and Rodney get their acts together..

Bondomania
11-15-2008, 05:54 PM
It seems like Rodney could be a long relief guy too.. there were times where he threw 50 pitches in an outting and was still effective...

JackB
11-15-2008, 08:25 PM
I wouldn't trust Rodney in a slow pitch softball game. I say boot his butt. Let somebody worry about what pitcher will show up game after game.

Nizzle20
11-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Dombrowski said yesterday the Wood is out of their price range for both cash and years.

nady4president
11-29-2008, 11:25 PM
I see Wood in a Padres uniform.

Bondomania
12-04-2008, 02:01 PM
i wouldn't bet on that.. Padres are currently rebuilding and are being extremely cost concious.. i doubt they shell out the money to acquire wood