PDA

View Full Version : Team USA: Coach K to lead team thru 2012 (Post #15)

JWalk126
11-13-2008, 02:07 PM
Jerry Colangelo Elected Chair Of USA Basketball
Source: FIBA.com (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/langid/1/newsid/28876/arti.html)

COLORADO SPRINGS (USA Basketball) - Jerry Colangelo, NBA Phoenix Suns Chairman and Managing Director of USA Basketball's 2006-2008 Men's Senior National Team program, has been elected chairman of USA Basketball's Board of Directors for the 2009-2012 term. The announcement was made Wednesday during the USA Basketball annual Board of Directors meeting.....

For complete article Click Here (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/langid/1/newsid/28876/arti.html) (or on the source link)

JWalk126
11-21-2008, 11:53 AM
'Exhilarated', not exhausted Coach K ready for new season

DURHAM (National team) - Team USA coach Mike Krzyzewski called the Americans' gold medal win over Spain at the Beijing Games one of the greatest moments of his life immediately after the triumph. And he hasn't changed his tune back in Durham, North Carolina, where he is once again leading Duke University as they go for glory in the Atlantic Coast ...

Click Here (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/langid/1/newsid/28936/arti.html) for complete article

Yogi
11-23-2008, 09:30 AM
:flag:

JWalk126
11-23-2008, 09:44 AM
:flag:

:rolleyes:

Yogi
11-25-2008, 07:29 AM
:rolleyes:

I have lots of pride for my motherland.

JWalk126
11-29-2008, 09:13 PM
Coach K mum on USA national team future
Source: FIBA.com (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/28968/arti.html)

DURHAM (National team) - Team USA boss Mike Krzyzewski has not ruled out leading the United States national team again.

Krzyzewski made a three-year commitment to coach the Americans and that came to an end this summer when he steered the NBA star-laden squad to a gold medal at the Beijing Games.

The legendary college coach is now back at Duke University guiding the Blue Devils, his team since 1980.

"It's too early to make any commitments for players or coaches," Krzyzewski said at press conference.

"We're all in season. That would be a disservice to my own Duke team.”

USA Basketball's newly-elected chairman of the board of directors, Jerry Colangelo, has yet to make an announcement on the coaching situation.

"I'm open to do anything that will help USA Basketball, that doesn't mean I'd be the coach again,” Krzyzewski said.

"It's a big commitment. I love Jerry and love what they're doing. It's just not the time yet.

"What I'm doing with these kids, that's my job and after this season is over I would give it whatever consideration after talking with my family. I can't do that now and give it my full attention. That's not right."

JWalk126
01-08-2009, 10:36 PM
Colangelo: “We have to get ready for the 2010 World Championship!”

PHOENIX (Olympics/2010 FIBA World Championship) – Jerry Colangelo came up with a winning formula when he was named managing director for Team USA’s men’s team in 2005.

He enlisted the services of numerous coaches, and gained commitments from leading players to represent the United States in international competition.

Duke University’s legendary boss Mike ‘Coach K’ Krzyzewski was appointed head coach of the men’s team and this summer, Colangelo was on hand as the USA went undefeated and captured the gold medal at the Olympics in Beijing after a thrilling title showdown with world champions Spain.

Colangelo has since been made chairman of USA Basketball, and he gave this interview to Jeff Taylor on behalf of FIBA.

For Interview, Click Here (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/inte/p/newsid/29197/arti.html)

lakers4sho
01-11-2009, 01:55 AM
http://fla.fg-a.com/spainC1.gif

JWalk126
01-11-2009, 04:16 AM
whats with the wordless post?

JWalk126
05-06-2009, 01:36 PM
Trail Blazers trio expect invites to try out for Team USA
Source: FIBA (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/30074/arti.html) (Click for complete article)

PORTLAND (2010 FIBA World Championship) - Competition for spots in the USA Basketball squad for the 2010 FIBA World Championship in Turkey is starting to heat up with Portland's Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge and Greg Oden among those expected to vie for places in the team....

JWalk126
05-10-2009, 05:26 PM
Source: FIBA (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/30120/arti.html)

INDIANA (National Team) - Danny Granger has been rewarded for his excellent form with the Indiana Pacers by being invited to try out for the United States national team.

The 6ft 9in forward averaged almost 26 points per game this season for Indiana and Pacers president Larry Bird, a member of the United States’ Dream Team at the 1992 Barcelona Games, lobbied for his star to have a chance to represent America.

While talking in January about his hope that Granger would become an All-Star – which he did for the first time - Bird also addressed the issue of the national team.

"I want Danny to make the All-Star team, but I'd rather see him represent our country in the next Olympics,” Bird said.

"That's what I want to see, and that's when you know you made it, because those are all the best players in the world."

The 2010 FIBA World Championship will be in Turkey next year and USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo is hard at work looking at the potential make-up of the squad.

The USA will hold a training camp this summer with a view to mixing in new faces with holdovers from the gold-medal winning team at the Beijing Olympics.

The United States qualified automatically for Turkey by winning last year’s Olympic title.

“You want to win an NBA championship, of course,” Granger said, “but I think to play in the Olympics is something really special. It comes around just once every four years, and it's a special opportunity."

USA Basketball have yet to release the list of players that will attend this summer’s workouts.

Portland's Brandon Roy, LaMarcus Aldridge and Greg Oden are among those expected to participate in this summer’s Team USA tryouts.

JWalk126
06-01-2009, 06:53 PM
USA Basketball announces six court coaches for men's national team trials
Source: FIBA (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/30326/arti.html)

COLORADO SPRINGS (FIBA U19 World Championship) - Mike Anderson of the University of Missouri, John Beilein of the University of Michigan, Johnny Estelle of Navarro College, Mark Few of Gonzaga University, Alan Magnani of Iowa Wesleyan College and Herb Sendek of Arizona State University have been selected to serve as court coaches for the 2009 USA Basketball Men's U19 World Championship and World University Games team trials, USA Basketball today announced.

The USA trials will be held June 16-18 at the U.S. Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs, Colo. The selected court coaches will work with the approximately 40 athletes vying for spots on the 2009 USA U19 World Championship and 2009 USA World University Games teams.

The 2009 FIBA U19 World Championship for Men will be held July 2-12 in Auckland, New Zealand, featuring 16 national teams comprised of athletes 19-years-old or younger (born on or after Jan. 1, 1990). Included in the field of nations are: Angola, Argentina, Australia, Canada, Croatia, Egypt, France, Greece, Iran, Kazakhstan, Lithuania, New Zealand, Puerto Rico, Spain, Syria and the USA.

University of Pittsburgh head coach Jamie Dixon was named head coach of the 2009 U19 World Championship Team. Chris Lowery of Southern Illinois University and Matt Painter of Purdue University will serve as assistant coaches.

The World University Games is a multi-sport competition organized by the International University Sports Federation and held every two years. The 2009 men's basketball competition will take place July 2-12 in Belgrade, Serbia. Participants must be between 17 and 24 years old and either a current college student or have attended a college or university within the past year.

Tabbed as head coach of the 2009 World University Games Team was Wisconsin University's Bo Ryan.

JWalk126
06-08-2009, 12:47 AM
Coach K to meet with Colangelo and discuss possible USA return
Source: FIBA (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/30395/arti.html)

DURHAM (2010 FIBA World Championship) - Most of the players are coming back to play for Team USA at the 2010 FIBA World Championship and now coach Mike Krzyzewski is seriously considering returning as well.

USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo, the mastermind of the United States gold-medal runs at the 2007 FIBA Americas Championship and at last year's Olympics, will meet with Krzyzewski next week in Chicago.

Both men hail from the Windy City and Coach K admits he may be in charge when the Americans go for gold in Turkey.

"There's a chance, but how everything goes forward has not been clearly defined yet," Krzyzewski said.

"The NBA season hasn't even ended. Once the NBA season has ended, I think I'll have a clearer picture of who's going to go forward from the players and how we're going to do coaching.

"I am going to be with the Olympic team in some capacity."

Krzyzewski, the long-time coach of NCAA powerhouse Duke University, never ruled out the possibility of coaching the USA again after the Beijing Games.

He has also repeatedly referred to the positive national team experience he had in the weeks and months that followed the USA’s Olympic title triumph in China.

Colangelo believes Krzyzewski wants to continue coaching Team USA.

"I want to give him as much time as he needs," Colangelo said this week.

"I want him to feel comfortable. His gut says, 'Let's go,' but he really wants to be sure."

Krzyzewski and Colangelo have enjoyed a good working relationship since the former was appointed national team coach before the 2006 FIBA World Championship in Japan.

"The main thing is that Jerry Colangelo heads USA Basketball, which is great," Krzyzewski said in the Durham Morning Herald.

"Now, what do you do with the culture and the structure that you developed for three years?

"Part of that is coaching, but also part of that is a new pool of players, commitments from different people.

"There's a lot that goes on to put that together."

The United States have already qualified for Turkey and do not need to qualify at the FIBA Americas Championship, but Colangelo and USA Basketball have nevertheless been busy.

They have organized a Las Vegas training camp in July for prospective national team players, including Blake Griffin - the Oklahoma center who is expected to be the number one pick in this month's NBA draft.

"We feel we have a good thing going right now," Colangelo said in the Arizona Republic.

"USA Basketball is clicking on all cylinders and there's been a major cultural shift in that kids 15 and 16 are saying they want to be part of it."

JWalk126
06-16-2009, 08:18 PM
Coach K still undecided about future with Team USA
Source:FIBA (http://www.fiba.com/pages/eng/fc/news/lateNews/p/newsid/30506/arti.html)

ORLANDO (2010 FIBA World Championship) – Team USA fans wanting to know if Mike Krzyzewski will continue coaching the national side are going to have to wait a little bit longer.

Coach K, who led the Americans to a gold medal at last year’s Beijing Olympics, guided the national team for three years and loved the experience but has yet to decide if he wants to remain in charge.

He discussed the situation with USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo this week.

The United States will hold in short training camp in Las Vegas from July 22-25, and Krzyzewski expects to know by then if he will remain in charge.

"By the time we have our event in mid-July, I think a lot of things will be put forward at that time," said Krzyzewski at a press conference this week in Orlando where he helped the NBA and NCAA launch iHoops – a joint project to support youth basketball.

"By mid-July, I think it'll all be out there."

The United States will not play at the FIBA Americas Championship in San Juan, Puerto Rico.

The tournament is the qualifying event for the 2010 FIBA World Championship but the Americans have already booked a spot in Turkey by virtue of their gold-medal triumph at the Olympics.

db75
07-21-2009, 06:56 PM
LAS VEGAS (AP)—Mike Krzyzewski coached the Americans back to the top and he’s sticking around to help them stay there.

USA Basketball announced Tuesday that Krzyzewski will return to lead the United States in next summer’s world championships and when it defends its gold medal in the 2012 Olympics.

The Americans won the championship last year in Beijing and will bring the leadership of that team back for another run. Krzyzewski’s entire staff of assistant coaches also will return—New York’s Mike D’Antoni, Portland’s Nate McMillan and Jim Boeheim of Syracuse.

USA Basketball chairman Jerry Colangelo, who hired Krzyzewski to lead the national team in 2005, already had committed to returning.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_ylt=AhCXffj8_4VvLN4Fz_erbr45nYcB?slug=ap-krzyzewski-olympics&prov=ap&type=lgns