PDA

View Full Version : Astros scout top Cuban defector at Dominican showcase

native_astro
11-12-2008, 10:20 PM
Six of the Astros’ scouts, including assistant general manager Bobby Heck, were in attendance in Boca Chica, Dominican Republic, Wednesday to watch Dayan Viciedo, who was considered one of Cuba's top teen baseball players before he defected in May.

Heck, Latin American scouting director Felix Francisco, East Coast supervisor Clarence Johns, professional scout Jeff McAvoy and two Dominican-based scouts represented the Astros’ at a workout attended by over 100 scouts.

The first day of Viciedo’s two-day workout, which was attended by all 30 clubs, was held at the Chicago White Sox’s complex. The second day of the 19-year-old’s workout will be held at the New York Yankees’ facility, which is also in Boca Chica.

“He’s an offense-driven guy,” Heck said of Viciedo, who also has been listed as a DH and first baseman. “There’s power and bat there. It’s just really to what degree and comfort. I would say at this point the evaluation is still ongoing. Felix had seen him the last two years at the Junior World Championships, as recent as 2007 in Mexico.”

Viciedo, a former Junior World Championships MVP, defected in May and has been trying to establish residency in the Dominican Republic. The commissioner’s office recently declared him a free agent, so teams can sign him without having to go through the June draft.

He was listed previously as 6-1 and 210 pounds, but scouts who were present said the slugger appeared much heavier than he had looked at tournaments representing Cuba.

source: Houston Chronicle
link: http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/bb/6109284.html

native_astro
11-12-2008, 10:22 PM
Can someone delete this thread please!

Jermster
11-21-2008, 12:40 PM
"According to Phil Rogers of the Chicago Tribune, the White Sox reached an agreement with 19 year-old Cuban third baseman Dayan Viciedo on a big league deal worth about $11MM. Alexei Ramirez and Jose Contreras should help Viciedo get comfortable when he joins the big league team. In June, it was reported that 14 teams expressed interest in Viciedo."

MLBTradeRumors.com

Why does it seem that the Astros never sign anyone they they have scouted.

sep11ie
11-21-2008, 02:05 PM
They do, they always just let them leave in the Rule 5 draft...Joe Nathan, Magglio Ordonez, JOHAN SANTANA

astrosmaniac
11-21-2008, 05:38 PM
They do, they always just let them leave in the Rule 5 draft...Joe Nathan, Magglio Ordonez, JOHAN SANTANA

your forgetting that we GOT him in the rule 5 draft. he got picked like 3 times in the rule 5 draft

Agstro
11-21-2008, 06:35 PM
your forgetting that we GOT him in the rule 5 draft. he got picked like 3 times in the rule 5 draft

Please explain.

sep11ie
11-22-2008, 03:46 PM

No, I'm not forgetting... I'm just saying the Stro's do sign young players we scout, but then always protect the wrong huys.

tripleplay2007
11-23-2008, 02:52 PM
Alexie is a monster.... :)

astrosmaniac
11-23-2008, 04:58 PM
Please explain.

the astros drafted him a rule 5 draft. he didnt make the major league roster, but the other team didnt want to buy him back. the next year he was not protected and then another team (marlins i think) picked him

Agstro
11-23-2008, 11:19 PM
the astros drafted him a rule 5 draft. he didnt make the major league roster, but the other team didnt want to buy him back. the next year he was not protected and then another team (marlins i think) picked him

Thanks...I knew we had him and lost him via Rule V, but I didn't know that is how we got him.

Crzycjunx76
11-23-2008, 11:35 PM
It happens every year... somewhere between 2 and 4 future major leaguers change hands.

Crzycjunx76
11-24-2008, 03:33 PM
Speaking of the Rule 5 draft... As I write this the Astros only have 34 players on their 40 man roster, so we have 6 openings. There are some notable names currently unprotected that we could take. Here is a list from MLBtraderumors.

Juan Abreu
Jordan Brown
Bobby Brownlie
Matt Fox
Alan Horne
Kei Igawa
Chuck Lofgren
Daniel Mayora
Eduardo Morlan
Chris Nicoll
Jay Rainville
James Skelton
Tim Stauffer
Wade Townsend
Philippe Valiquette
Donald Veal
Ryan Wagner
Kyle Waldrop

You can look these players up at a site like fangraphs.com or firstinning.com but I would personally like to see the Astros go after one or two of the following

Chuck Lofgren SP - Lofgren is only 22 years old, he is a 6-3 lefty who was in the Indians top ten prospects this time last season. Im not sure what has occured to leave him on the outside lookin in but if he is avalable when we select you almost have to take him... if he isint ready to start you can hide him in the bullpen. Could be a #2 starter eventually if he continues to develop.

Chris Nicoll P- 25 year old right handed reliver... was a starter in A ball but was switched to reliver in AA... if he can handle the bigs he has a heck of a strikeout rate and could eventually be an end of the pen reliver.

James Skelton C - Another catcher to compete for a job he has only made it to AA but at every level he has had or been close to having a .400 OBP... he has no power at the plate but if he can defend the position I dont see how we could not keep him as a backup he is only 23 years old.

Donnie Veal SP- 24 year old lefty starter has great stuff and could be a quality starter but he has always walked too many batters to be effective... if he corrects his issues with BB/9 he could be the best person on this list.

Kei Igawa Sp- Crappy... there is a ex starter for the padres on this list as well and I was wondering which one to add ... I chose Igawa he has performed poorly in his previous time in the majors but given our current rotation he might stick with us... better than Backe.

Jordan Brown 1B- Good defensive first basemen who is probably ready to hit major leaguers .. did well in AAA ... the reason he was unprotected is that he has no power at first, he makes good contact but does not have the pop to hold down a starting first base job.

Jermster
11-24-2008, 03:41 PM
Speaking of the Rule 5 draft... As I write this the Astros only have 34 players on their 40 man roster, so we have 6 openings. There are some notable names currently unprotected that we could take. Here is a list from MLBtraderumors.

Juan Abreu
Jordan Brown
Bobby Brownlie
Matt Fox
Alan Horne
Kei Igawa
Chuck Lofgren
Daniel Mayora
Eduardo Morlan
Chris Nicoll
Jay Rainville
James Skelton
Tim Stauffer
Wade Townsend
Philippe Valiquette
Donald Veal
Ryan Wagner
Kyle Waldrop

You can look these players up at a site like fangraphs.com or firstinning.com but I would personally like to see the Astros go after one or two of the following

Chuck Lofgren SP - Lofgren is only 22 years old, he is a 6-3 lefty who was in the Indians top ten prospects this time last season. Im not sure what has occured to leave him on the outside lookin in but if he is avalable when we select you almost have to take him... if he isint ready to start you can hide him in the bullpen. Could be a #2 starter eventually if he continues to develop.

Chris Nicoll P- 25 year old right handed reliver... was a starter in A ball but was switched to reliver in AA... if he can handle the bigs he has a heck of a strikeout rate and could eventually be an end of the pen reliver.

James Skelton C - Another catcher to compete for a job he has only made it to AA but at every level he has had or been close to having a .400 OBP... he has no power at the plate but if he can defend the position I dont see how we could not keep him as a backup he is only 23 years old.

Donnie Veal SP- 24 year old lefty starter has great stuff and could be a quality starter but he has always walked too many batters to be effective... if he corrects his issues with BB/9 he could be the best person on this list.

Kei Igawa Sp- Crappy... there is a ex starter for the padres on this list as well and I was wondering which one to add ... I chose Igawa he has performed poorly in his previous time in the majors but given our current rotation he might stick with us... better than Backe.

Jordan Brown 1B- Good defensive first basemen who is probably ready to hit major leaguers .. did well in AAA ... the reason he was unprotected is that he has no power at first, he makes good contact but does not have the pop to hold down a starting first base job.

Chip Bailey, a fan blogger for the Houston Chronicle has possible options for the Astros.
http://blogs.chron.com/fanblogastros/archives/2008/11/taking_a_gander.html