PDA

View Full Version : Off-Season moves

redwings1
11-12-2008, 03:46 PM
what players do you guys think the tigers have the best chance of getting?

serGeant
11-12-2008, 04:55 PM
If they part with Magglio--to make payroll room for a closer and/or starter--they could probably add a young catcher (Jeff Mathis) and shortstop (Maicier Izturis) in a trade. The Halos would probably insist the Tigers take on Gary Matthews Jr. in exchange, but GMJ could play all three OF positions and Detroit still moves payroll.

Detroit70
11-12-2008, 05:19 PM
Not sure who, but I would guess a OF and some bullpen help!

redwings1
11-12-2008, 05:21 PM
i cant see the tigers giving up maggs tho

Nizzle20
11-12-2008, 07:22 PM
they arent getting "rid" of Maggs. He is the most tradeable option based on talent and salary. Not to mention that if they do trade, they will fill more then one need. I see him gone by the 1st of the year. I love how he can hit. But he will be gone.

JackB
11-12-2008, 09:58 PM
The Angels aren't going to do anything trade wise until they see what happens with Frod and Mark Teixeira.

Detroit70
11-12-2008, 10:13 PM
We will haft to wait till friday when the market opens up. Its gonna be crazy with all the money flying around (i.e Yanks). Maggs should stay, but you never know. The only way you will see maggs get traded I believe will be for a SP with a comparable salary. They can also trade shef for a case of beer.

angelsforever
11-13-2008, 11:23 PM
The Angels aren't going to do anything trade wise until they see what happens with Frod and Mark Teixeira.

Angels are going to get Magglio Ordonez for Dustin Moseley,Jeff Mathis,Gary Matthews jr

the_fliz1
11-14-2008, 01:17 AM
Angels are going to get Magglio Ordonez for Dustin Moseley,Jeff Mathis,Gary Matthews jr

Wow, the Tigers would be getting screwed in that deal. Matthews, while a servicable player, is making way too much money for his production level. Mosely and Mathis are young, but Mathis only hit like .190 in 94 games(although I will admit I don't know too much about his defensive prowess, or his ability to call a game), and Moseley had an ERA of almost 7 with 20 walks and an astounding 70:speechless: hits in 50 innings. As bad as Detroits bullpen was last year I don't see them having too much of an interest in Mathis.

Maybe I am putting too much of a premium on Maggs, but he is probably worth a lot more to the Tigers than he might be to another team.

babygranderson
11-14-2008, 06:50 AM
If they part with Magglio--to make payroll room for a closer and/or starter--they could probably add a young catcher (Jeff Mathis) and shortstop (Maicier Izturis) in a trade. The Halos would probably insist the Tigers take on Gary Matthews Jr. in exchange, but GMJ could play all three OF positions and Detroit still moves payroll.

Pretty creative trade idea...I'd probably do that one - if GMJ's contract expires at the end of the year.

mark1125
11-14-2008, 03:59 PM
Pretty creative trade idea...I'd probably do that one - if GMJ's contract expires at the end of the year.

I would pass on it. I am not sold on Mathis being more than an avg catcher in the future. I could be wrong. Mosely is no one that I would be interested in picking up in a deal for Maggs. Matthews is servicable, but not enough to merit parting with a player of Maggs production. I am thinking Maggs would warrant a pkg including Adenhart, Aybar and Mathis. Even at that, I hesitate to part with him.

Bondomania
11-15-2008, 05:58 PM
yeah, i would pass.. we could get a WAY better deal for Maggs than that garbage.. all those players haven't prooven anything at the major league level.. we could probably swing a deal to a team that has solid prospects and can afford him.. then we could get two stellar prospects and maybe a 3rd mid-level prospect.. there is no way we should have to settle with that deal, especially to have to eat a bad contract for a player that is great defensively, but just alright with the bat.. considering Maggs contract isn't bad at all.. he is getting paid, IMO below market level.. Maggs is probably a 17 to 20 million dollar a year player and i think this upcoming year he is making 16 mill.