PDA

View Full Version : Telfair is a better point guard than Foye

ryguy2k7
11-11-2008, 12:06 PM
and should start at point guard in my opinion.

He has the natural actions and playing style that a point guard should. He is fast, has a pass-first mentality and is showing great signs of improvement this year already.

Don't get me wrong, I love Foye, but he has played very poorly this year. With Telfair's success and Miller at the 2 spot, how do we play Foye more than 25 mpg?

GOGOGOMEZ08
11-11-2008, 12:24 PM
agreed

WSU Tony
11-11-2008, 12:31 PM
The point of this thread?

thesparky33
11-11-2008, 12:45 PM
Telfair is already starting...

WSU Tony
11-11-2008, 01:21 PM
He jumps around like crazy but he always seems to have a game plan to where he's going with the ball and he ususally gets it there.

wishuhadad28
11-11-2008, 02:34 PM
I love foye to, but I just dont think he has much of a future as a point guard. perhaps a trade with him and brewer for a SF,odom,turkoglu,dunleavey,wallace

kambion
11-11-2008, 05:36 PM

He has the natural actions and playing style that a point guard should. He is fast, has a pass-first mentality and is showing great signs of improvement this year already.

Don't get me wrong, I love Foye, but he has played very poorly this year. With Telfair's success and Miller at the 2 spot, how do we play Foye more than 25 mpg?

ill tell you how, he starts makng his shots, like he has been the last week or so, and returns to the lineup, after all, his asst/to ratio isnt bad, and is only going to get better...by all star break foye is starting pg, remember he averages 5.5 assts a game, and thats having bad games

SpeeMN
11-11-2008, 05:44 PM
We need to make a trade. We have too many players fighting for positions. Every Position is up for grabs!! We have the pieces(other than Green) it took to land KG on the Celtics! Let's trade 3 of our guys for 1 or 2 better players.

VikingsWin2869
11-11-2008, 06:06 PM
yes telfair is better..and he can finish at the rim..roy ahh i mean foye missed way to many layups that he shouldve finished with

ryguy2k7
11-11-2008, 06:45 PM
The point of this thread?

to spark conversation about the point guard position for the Timberwolves.

It's an interesting topic because we have two of them.

Mauersota
11-11-2008, 06:46 PM
Telfair maybe a better point but I would take Foye over him if we had a team that was setup...different.

ryguy2k7
11-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Telfair maybe a better point but I would take Foye over him if we had a team that was setup...different.

I agree with that statement. Foye is a better overall player with, i guess, more potential. But with our team, we have so many of the same sized players which makes it awkward.

Love and Jefferson
Foye and Telfair
McCants and Miller.

I know three of those players should probably start on the bench...but that's the problem. We don't have a center or a small forward to counteract the clump of same-sized players. Brewer isn't going to amount to much other than a decent defender (Parker scored 55 on him btw).

Maybe we SHOULD trade someone so our point guard position can be okay and we beef up our SF position. hmm...

cwilson21
11-11-2008, 08:19 PM
By this time next year, I think we'll have a better pic of how this team will be setup for years to come.

liondragonx5y
11-13-2008, 12:31 AM
we should first fire mcfail after the season.. then fire the coach cause he doesnt know how to substitute people in a game.. people start to play worse when they dont get a good amount of time at a time.. really, 3 minutes and then they are taken out? my goodness.. trade our extra players for one really good player from a bad team rebuilding.. we have love for PF we have big al for center and honestly I really like that.. cause love is a great defender and can defend the top PF's... and big al is tall enough to be a center.. and be a good one too.. I dont know why people dont think he could be a center.. but still, the reason garnett left is the same reason why people dont sign as free agents here.. we have a great PF/center but no one to feed the ball to them and take outside shots.. when you play only 5 minutes at a time the players start not playing as well.. ala foye.. foye is also a SG not a PG.... you cant have 2 starting SG's.. you gotta trade one.. and since foye's stock is down and still has great potential (Ive seen him when he's good.. he just keeps having head cases.. and the taking him out every 5 minutes and not having him in for 35-40 minutes isnt helping..) We should probably trade miller.. his stock is pretty good and paired with telfair (which has become very good this year) and like brewer.. we could get an even better PG (like an elite one...) or we could get an elite SF.. either way.. we have so much extra talent getting wasted.. Though I wouldnt get rid of love, even though him and big al are PF.. one can play center.. big al has the size and the offense in the paint to be elite there.. or if they get an elite center love can move to sf and big al can play PF.. cause love is great feeding the ball and could play the SF position in my opinion.... so get rid of one of each of these and get someone elite at a position we could use.. like a center/pg/sf..

telfair/brewer
miller/foye
mcants/brewer
keep al and love, they can split between center/PF and love can play SF if need be.

so try a trade like this..

miller and 2 of mcants/brewer/telfair
for
elite center/PG/SF

I would love a lineup..

PF:Big al/love
PG:Telfair/elite PG
SF:mcants/love/elite SF
SG:foye
Center:big al/elite center

the final lineup depending on who we trade and who we get.. and honestly.. I would mind trading our 3 lower first rounders for a top 5 pick, maybe even a top 3 pick.. and since I think we will have one of the top 3 picks this year cause our team sucks under this coach and gm, we would have 2 top picks to use for a franchise player..

all I am saying is we gotta get rid of the extra starters and look for elite franchise players.. 2 picks in the top 5 and trading the extra starters for franchise type players is a good start...

WSU Tony
11-13-2008, 12:45 AM
we should first fire mcfail after the season.. then fire the coach cause he doesnt know how to substitute people in a game.. people start to play worse when they dont get a good amount of time at a time.. really, 3 minutes and then they are taken out? my goodness.. trade our extra players for one really good player from a bad team rebuilding.. That's not how trades work. You have to give talent to get talent, you can't just give "extras."we have love for PF we have big al for center and honestly I really like that.. cause love is a great defender and can defend the top PF's... and big al is tall enough to be a center.. and be a good one too.. I dont know why people dont think he could be a center.. It's not that he can't, it's that he's better at the PF but still, the reason garnett left is the same reason why people dont sign as free agents here.. we have a great PF/center but no one to feed the ball to them and take outside shots.. when you play only 5 minutes at a time the players start not playing as well.. ala foye.. foye is also a SG not a PG.... you cant have 2 starting SG's.. you gotta trade one Why? We're that rebuilding team that needs young talent...... and since foye's stock is down and still has great potential (Ive seen him when he's good.. he just keeps having head cases.. and the taking him out every 5 minutes and not having him in for 35-40 minutes isnt helping..) We should probably trade miller.. NO his stock is pretty good and paired with telfair (which has become very good this year) And have McCants play full time? Yuck. and like brewer.. we could get an even better PG (like an elite one...) or we could get an elite SF.. either way.. we have so much extra talent getting wasted.. Though I wouldnt get rid of love, even though him and big al are PF.. one can play center.. big al has the size and the offense in the paint to be elite there.. or if they get an elite center love can move to sf and big al can play PF.. cause love is great feeding the ball and could play the SF position in my opinion.... so get rid of one of each of these and get someone elite at a position we could use.. like a center/pg/sf..

telfair/brewer
miller/foye
mcants/brewer
keep al and love, they can split between center/PF and love can play SF if need be.

so try a trade like this..

miller and 2 of mcants/brewer/telfair
for
elite center/PG/SF

I would love a lineup..

PF:Big al/love
PG:Telfair/elite PG
SF:mcants/love/elite SF
SG:foye
Center:big al/elite center

the final lineup depending on who we trade and who we get.. and honestly.. I would mind trading our 3 lower first rounders for a top 5 pick, maybe even a top 3 pick.. and since I think we will have one of the top 3 picks this year cause our team sucks under this coach and gm, we would have 2 top picks to use for a franchise player..

all I am saying is we gotta get rid of the extra starters and look for elite franchise players.. 2 picks in the top 5 and trading the extra starters for franchise type players is a good start...

I agree with the notion that we need quality over quantity but cripes, we can't just trade Miller/Telfair/Brewer. Miller is a pretty good SG, you don't give him enough credit.

cb21
11-13-2008, 09:27 AM
I agree with WSU Tony, No way you can trade Miller, having him and Al on the court on the same time takes up 3 guys. When the ball goes to the post and there's a double team, Miller's defender can't rotate off of him. Now that Brewer can knock down a shot, we have a pretty good threat. I don't think a ton has to be done with this team besides at the center position. Get a good defender in the post that can rebound and block shots, and we will be much better off. People are forgetting that this is our 2nd rebuilding year, we didn't have the older quality guys (Besides Garnett) to trade away and just "reload." Give this team a couple years of experience and we'll be fine.

GOGOGOMEZ08
11-13-2008, 11:56 AM
If we could close out games we would be 4-2 right now

Oefarmy2005
11-13-2008, 12:09 PM
I actually agree with something Liondragon said. We have 7 starters, since Foye and Gomes are starters in this league in my opinion, and only 5 starting positions. I think Miller is great and so is Mccants, but I wouldn't mind trading them both and getting a descent center, than Foye can play SG permanantly and Telfair would start at PG. Than we can have Ollie and Carney back-up the two positions. Gomes could than be our sixth man along with Love being seventh - at least for now. I am a huge fan of Brewer, so I don't think we should trade him because he can become a special player.

WSU Tony
11-13-2008, 01:25 PM
I don't like your plan, Oefarmy.

Oefarmy2005
11-13-2008, 02:26 PM
Well Tony, that's your opinion. I don't like having 9 players all playing 25 mins a game, and I also don't like it when bench players play more than starters. Let your starters play the game.

WSU Tony
11-13-2008, 04:05 PM
Well Tony, that's your opinion. I don't like having 9 players all playing 25 mins a game, and I also don't like it when bench players play more than starters. Let your starters play the game.

We don't have starters. We don't have a bench. Beyond a few bright spots we have lots of mediocre. That's what begins to happen when you trade down in drafts.

JBoog35
11-13-2008, 07:54 PM
I'd like to see what we get out of the next draft (4 players) and then decide who to deal. Love, Al, and Brewer look like pieces to a puzzle, but this team still needs a perimeter player who can drive, take big shots, and hit the three. A few years ago, I thought we drafted that player, but Foye really hasn't developed into the player we all thought he would. Telfair isn't the answer and Roy was more of a SG anyways, so that whole draft day trade's a bunch of bull... I don't necessarily think that Roy is that player either, so maybe we could find the guy at the top of the draft. Danny Granger and Rudy Gay are looking good right now, the first move should be firing McHale... bad drafter IMO.

Demar DeRozan could be that guy, maybe Brandon Jennings, or maybe this team just buys it's perimeter leader in 2010. Normally, I'd say because of the market and the location, the Wolves won't and can't be a bidder in the Free Agent market, but they could in 2010. With a very large number of marquee players available, someone will jump to Minny for the money. My guess is that the Wolves solve their woes with one of the players below and catch a lucky break with the lottery.... (crossed fingers)

2010 UFA: Joe Johnson, LeBron James, Dirk Nowitzki (ETO), Josh Howard (T), Tracy McGrady, Yao Ming (ETO), Dwayne Wade (P), Richard Jefferson (ETO), Michael Redd (ETO), Steve Nash, Amare Stoudemire (ETO), Manu Ginobili, and Chris Bosh (P)

IowaAJ
11-13-2008, 08:26 PM
We have to many players that play the same positions and to many players who are undersized that play center or power forward.

WSU Tony
11-13-2008, 09:16 PM
How many times do I have to say it, we aren't going to be signing all of our picks.....

Preuss-is-right
11-14-2008, 03:07 AM
I actually agree with something Liondragon said. We have 7 starters, since Foye and Gomes are starters in this league in my opinion, and only 5 starting positions. I think Miller is great and so is Mccants, but I wouldn't mind trading them both and getting a descent center, than Foye can play SG permanantly and Telfair would start at PG. Than we can have Ollie and Carney back-up the two positions. Gomes could than be our sixth man along with Love being seventh - at least for now. I am a huge fan of Brewer, so I don't think we should trade him because he can become a special player.

Not a bad plan, I wouldnt do it until the draft though.

Miller and McCants just turned so one dementional. They both came into the league known for being able to get to the basket and now they settle for 3's. We were 5-25 last game, 2-5 McCants and 2-7 Miller. Over half of Millers shots were 3's and almost half of McCants makes were 3's. He did get to the line 4 times though. While I'm only basing this off of last game I still think we need to find a way to get to the rim instead of settling for shots.

I am getting sick of all these line up changes. If Wittman coaches on a match-up basis he should make it known to his players and make it more obvious to people in general. I want a chance to see at least 5 games with a line up of:
Telfair
Foye
Miller
Gomes
Jefferson
It would be nice to see if any team could keep up with us.

johnrigge
11-14-2008, 10:50 AM
I think we could play foye all game and let him shoot all he wants so he scores a bunch of 25 point games, then when everyone thinks he's good again, try to get something of any worth by trading him. Telfair shows signs of being an ok guard but is no way a starter on a respectable team. and what the hell were we thinking trading mayo. he was a ticket for Mchale to get back in the game. Love is fine but a bunch of fine players wont win championships, or get into the playoffs for that matter, and thats what we have. a bunch of pretty good guys that show no consistency. and who's the leader? BIG AL?? give me a break. Remember when we had cassell, how he could dribble to the freethrow line and make every jumper!! he was old but he got the job done! we needed a guard like mayo and jefferson to play a leadership role, then surround them with pretty good players like we have, combine that with some experience and we'll be a 50-32 team at best. ive followed the wolves with great interest since day 1 but Mchale is loosing my vote and patience as a wolves fan. GO BOSTON!!!

WSU Tony
11-14-2008, 11:18 AM
Trading down in the draft can do some good things for your books but it won't build premium talent in this league. We're now left with clean books but our talent has yet to show it's potential from many of our young guys. If 1 or 2 of them could show they are starters we would be in great shape going forward but as of now many of them are happier to sit on the bench and come in later instead of wanting to start.

Preuss-is-right
11-14-2008, 11:52 AM
I think we could play foye all game and let him shoot all he wants so he scores a bunch of 25 point games, then when everyone thinks he's good again, try to get something of any worth by trading him. Telfair shows signs of being an ok guard but is no way a starter on a respectable team. and what the hell were we thinking trading mayo. he was a ticket for Mchale to get back in the game. Love is fine but a bunch of fine players wont win championships, or get into the playoffs for that matter, and thats what we have. a bunch of pretty good guys that show no consistency. and who's the leader? BIG AL?? give me a break. Remember when we had cassell, how he could dribble to the freethrow line and make every jumper!! he was old but he got the job done! we needed a guard like mayo and jefferson to play a leadership role, then surround them with pretty good players like we have, combine that with some experience and we'll be a 50-32 team at best. ive followed the wolves with great interest since day 1 but Mchale is loosing my vote and patience as a wolves fan. GO BOSTON!!!

What if Foye sucks it up during that span? We might as well trade him now while he still has "potential"

I cant believe we didnt trade him for Iverson in the 1st place. KG would still be here but we would be left with an aging roster so I guess every positive has a negative.

kambion
11-15-2008, 08:43 PM

foye just had 2 better games, telfair scored 0 points in one of them...change your tune yet?

WSU Tony
11-15-2008, 09:23 PM
The funny thing is 2 games makes up your tune...... lol.

ryguy2k7
11-19-2008, 04:29 PM
foye just had 2 better games, telfair scored 0 points in one of them...change your tune yet?

Neither are consistent...Foye scores more.

But Foye doesn't play as much like a PG as Telfair does. Telfair could easily be better than Foye at playing PG if he used his talent wisely.

Foye = Ben Gordon except worse.