PDA

View Full Version : The NBA should abolish all individual awards

_Supreme_
11-11-2008, 07:47 AM
Pretty simple, yes or no.

Imo the focus should be put back on basketball the team game instead of the individual awards culture which a lot of fans only seem to care about.

JJ81
11-11-2008, 08:36 AM
No, because you'd have arguments like "(new player) would easily have more MVPs than MJ!" etc.

BALLER71
11-11-2008, 09:26 AM
Yes they should.

JordansBulls
11-11-2008, 09:29 AM
No, why should they?

Kaptain Kanada
11-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Silly question to ask. Of course they should not remove individual awards.

DenButsu
11-11-2008, 09:47 AM
Pretty simple, yes or no.

Imo the focus should be put back on basketball the team game instead of the individual awards culture which a lot of fans only seem to care about.

Aw, you're just expressing your annoyance that people are already talking about ROY, MVP, MIP etc. and it's so early in the season.

But whether the awards existed or not, it's not as if fans would just stop talking about who the best player this season is, who the best rookie is, who's made the biggest strides and who's the best guy coming off the bench. Attention will always be paid by the fans to those who excel. So why not give them some props for it in recognition of great accomplishments? :shrug:

DenButsu
11-11-2008, 09:50 AM
Incidentally, I made the MIP thread because I was excited about how well Nene was doing and I wanted to talk about that in here, but I thought a general "most improved" thread would be a lot wider and more interesting of a thread topic to a lot more people than a "Nene is doing ****ing beastly!" thread.

FWIW.

hdxstunts1
11-11-2008, 10:03 AM
I think the awards are taking away from the game and the players have become much more selfish. They should take out the awards and jujst play the team game everyone knows and loves. NBA is a popularity contest not a basketball organization!

phils07
11-11-2008, 10:14 AM
u simply either dont watch or dont like the NBA. this idea that the NBA does not play team basketball is absurd. the fact that some individuals stand out over others is because there are varying degrees of talent. in college basketball, why do they have MOP and POY? cuz it recognizes the stellar and more recognizable play of a star. that is what attracts people to basketball. stars usually work the hardest and shoulder the most responsibility.

is josh childress a star in Europe? yes, cuz hes better than most in europe. there is an underlying issue here that needs to come to light. i dont know what it is, but its getting rather annoying. ever since nba salaries started increasing exponentially, thats when people started souring toward it. that may be the cause.

all i know is the talent level in the nba right now is almost unparalleled and might end up being the second best or best era of basketball ever. it all depends on if these individuals take another step in their games. do not take away from what these people are doing with disillusioned point of view.

Testaverde16
11-11-2008, 10:49 AM
They already base a lot of the MVP award on team performance. I think they should do the same with ROY and others, but the MVP is the biggest one and without a good team you don't stand a chance.

I understand what you're saying, but you're taking it to far here - the awards are good for the players and the fans.

Hellcrooner
11-11-2008, 11:39 AM
I think the problem is not Awards but Tv.

Ill take an example, I got seek last week when Marc Gasol did his Awesome 27/15 4 *** 4 blocks game...

Why?

I went to nba.com to watch the highligts.

You know what? They showcased just ONE basket from Marc the rest of the 2 minutes highlits were ALL about OJ and gay.

Basically TV, Espn, Nba itself centers a lot in the players THEY want to Hype and fans go and swallow it , its a Pity.

I get sick every time i read, X did 40 points today!!!! he is a beast!!!! because generally it is on a 12/35 fg% that is not playing good basket!!! at least not good five to five basket.

Its sad but the younger guys watch a game and they can only focus on the points and teh rebounds, maybe with luck in th assits, then they judge by stats but they are not able to judge a player just by watching his Off-the ball game wich is as important of not More than what eh does with the ball.

JordansBulls
11-11-2008, 11:56 AM
Also without awards people would just say every modern player is better and use the whole they are more athletic or the whole so and so played in a weak era. But when you use awards it is a means to separate yourself from the pack and if you can't then those previous reasons can't be used.

Hellcrooner
11-11-2008, 12:04 PM
^well its never a good measure for Anything.

Take your boy Mj for example.

his number of Mvps is not Representative ( Regular season ones i mean)

Why? Because we will never know how many were given to him out of the Nike and Internal Nba Hype and How many he Should have won but where not Given to him because Nba didnt want him to win it Every year.

_Supreme_
11-11-2008, 05:59 PM
But when you use awards it is a means to separate yourself from the pack and if you can't then those previous reasons can't be used.

The problem is though that a lot of people disagree about the winners of the awards, and Imo most of these awards are nothing more than popularity contests, which makes them more or less worthless.

As soon as the only basketball talk that I see is about which player is best this best that, and it completely overshadows all the other aspects of the game then I'd rather not have all those awards at all. A lot of people care more about certain players than they do about the teams.

You almost never see an article or thread discussing the several styles teams play put against eachother, discussing which tactics teams should use against specific opponents, what went wrong or right, etc etc. It's all about which player did this and which player did that. It's a complete mindset the media has which rubs off on the (young) fans which is based on individual glory, making them think that's the way it's supposed to be.

Maybe it reflects the state of American society, I don't know, but whatever the reason is it's not a good development for a game that is supposed to be a team-first game.

Hellcrooner
11-11-2008, 06:19 PM
^thats what i was pointing out.

Hellcrooner
11-11-2008, 06:19 PM
you dutch? aint it? euro aproach :D

EddieB
11-11-2008, 06:24 PM
How boring would that make the NBA

_Supreme_
11-11-2008, 06:30 PM
How boring would that make the NBA

It would put the focus back where it belongs: on the game.

The game of basketball > individual player glory.

If as a result all those fake fans who only care about individual stuff would find another hobby that would only be an added bonus.

EddieB
11-11-2008, 06:31 PM

If as a result all those fake fans who only care about individual stuff would find another hobby that would only be an added bonus.

MiamiHeat
11-11-2008, 06:32 PM
they should only keep the DOY award :)
all the players would defend

Lakersfan2483
11-11-2008, 06:32 PM
No, I would not abolish the individual awards, but I understand the importance of putting the "team" first.

EddieB
11-11-2008, 06:33 PM

how about the best team award so we can see more team basketball :clap:

_Supreme_
11-11-2008, 06:46 PM

Empty comments like these are the only thing that is ******** around here.

You apparently are a prime example of what is wrong with the mindset of a lot of these so called "fans"these days.

If you want to cheer an individual rather than a team go be a tennis fan or whatever.

MilfHunter07
11-11-2008, 07:09 PM
No.

lakers4sho
11-11-2008, 07:35 PM
The problem is, the media is voting on most of them. Meaning, there's a lot of hype associated with them.

Why not make the coaches vote for awards?

JordansBulls
11-11-2008, 08:43 PM

Yeah right.:)

_Sn1P3r_
11-11-2008, 08:56 PM
No.

DenButsu
11-11-2008, 11:43 PM
You almost never see an article or thread discussing the several styles teams play put against eachother, discussing which tactics teams should use against specific opponents, what went wrong or right, etc etc.

Well, one response to that would be to actually make threads like that instead of criticizing threads that aren't like that (which nobody is forcing you to post in if you don't like them).

Just sayin' ...... :rolleyes:

SteveNash
11-11-2008, 11:57 PM

Why does your avatar feature one player?

It should have the Orlando Magic logo only.

And my name should be changed to PhoenixSuns because we have to focus on team.

tru
11-12-2008, 12:11 AM
Incidentally, I made the MIP thread because I was excited about how well Nene was doing and I wanted to talk about that in here, but I thought a general "most improved" thread would be a lot wider and more interesting of a thread topic to a lot more people than a "Nene is doing ****ing beastly!" thread.

FWIW.

nene aint ****, id trade him for a cheeseburger

nik.jd.aitken
11-12-2008, 12:14 AM
No

/thread

DenButsu
11-12-2008, 12:39 AM
nene aint ****, id trade him for a cheeseburger

:laugh2: He'd take it back from you and eat it.

Nene had an unimpressive outing in his first game back. So if we give him the cancer victim pass on that one, which I think is fair enough, and just look at his last 5 games, which are more indicative of where his true level of performance has been at, then we can see his real productin:

In 35.4 minutes...
17.2 points on 68% shooting (78% from the line)
10 rebounds
2 blocks
1.6 assists
1.4 steals

If that's the kind of player you'd trade for a cheeseburger, you either don't know much about the NBA or you don't know much about cheeseburgers - or both.

Oh, and your baiting post would normally earn you an infraction, but since I can see that you're new here, consider this your warning. Please read the site rules, and follow them when you post, and everything will be cool. :cool: But if you keep making posts like the one above, you'll get infractions, and then bans. Thanks for your understanding.

lakers4sho
11-12-2008, 12:51 AM
Nene's stats look good as of right now, can he keep it up?

He almost went down in that game against Dallas. I thought he was gonna get injured again...

He certainly is an upgrade over Camby. Maybe a little less shotblocking, but he has an offensive game that Camby lacks.

EddieB
11-12-2008, 01:05 AM
Why does your avatar feature one player?

It should have the Orlando Magic logo only.

And my name should be changed to PhoenixSuns because we have to focus on team.

owned!

DenButsu
11-12-2008, 01:33 AM
Nene's stats look good as of right now, can he keep it up?

God I hope so... The team depends on him for so much now.

IndyRealist
11-12-2008, 01:43 AM
The NBA has always sold itself on the star power of it's atheletes. Individual achievements are a manifestation of that star power. Which player had 100 points in a game? Bet you know. Bet you also name at least 5 rookies in last year's draft class. It's about branding, name recognition. What you're talking about is the whole marketing concept of the NBA, not just the end of year awards. Abolishing MVP and ROY awards won't do anything to deter Nike or Gatorade from still putting these people up as stars, because that's what makes money!

ee
11-12-2008, 01:52 AM
your opinion fails based on the poll results supreme....lol....it'll be so damn boring though.....also, would players play as hard with the individual recognition? hall of fame, MVPs gone? I don't think it'll be good for the league IMO.....

Hellcrooner
11-12-2008, 02:00 AM
Only losers play to win individual awards.

BoltLakerPadre
11-12-2008, 02:32 AM
Normally I'd say no offense before making the following comment, but man this is a stupid question. To pretend that it's only about the team, and that no single player stands out as the MVP, or the Defensive stopper, or the Sixth man, is just plain ignorant. Sure teams that play together win more, but to ignore individual talent is stupid, and would take so much fun out of the game.

zambo4president
11-12-2008, 03:19 AM
Good luck with this one

DenButsu
11-12-2008, 04:12 AM

Perhaps, but a lot of great players win awards just by virtue of the fact that they are great players that deserve them, regardless of whether they're "trying to win" accolades or not.

--------------------

And as an off topic side note, since your post reminded me of this bit of wisdom, I'd just like to remind everybody that only users lose drugs.

tru
11-12-2008, 05:18 AM
:laugh2: He'd take it back from you and eat it.

Nene had an unimpressive outing in his first game back. So if we give him the cancer victim pass on that one, which I think is fair enough, and just look at his last 5 games, which are more indicative of where his true level of performance has been at, then we can see his real productin:

In 35.4 minutes...
17.2 points on 68% shooting (78% from the line)
10 rebounds
2 blocks
1.6 assists
1.4 steals

If that's the kind of player you'd trade for a cheeseburger, you either don't know much about the NBA or you don't know much about cheeseburgers - or both.

Oh, and your baiting post would normally earn you an infraction, but since I can see that you're new here, consider this your warning. Please read the site rules, and follow them when you post, and everything will be cool. :cool: But if you keep making posts like the one above, you'll get infractions, and then bans. Thanks for your understanding.

ah im just messin with ya bro, i wouldnt really trade him for a cheeseburger, i give um a solid B-...............i just dont think he'll get m.i.p. but he obviously doesnt suck i was just bullshittin

ink
11-12-2008, 04:17 PM
bump

lakers4sho
11-12-2008, 07:51 PM

How so? It motivates you to play better. And that certainly isn't a bad thing.

AFlagRules
11-12-2008, 08:01 PM
Sure, remove em.

lynchgagne
11-12-2008, 08:06 PM
The problem is though that a lot of people disagree about the winners of the awards, and Imo most of these awards are nothing more than popularity contests, which makes them more or less worthless.

As soon as the only basketball talk that I see is about which player is best this best that, and it completely overshadows all the other aspects of the game then I'd rather not have all those awards at all. A lot of people care more about certain players than they do about the teams.

You almost never see an article or thread discussing the several styles teams play put against eachother, discussing which tactics teams should use against specific opponents, what went wrong or right, etc etc. It's all about which player did this and which player did that. It's a complete mindset the media has which rubs off on the (young) fans which is based on individual glory, making them think that's the way it's supposed to be.

Maybe it reflects the state of American society, I don't know, but whatever the reason is it's not a good development for a game that is supposed to be a team-first game.

why do u always speak like everything u say is right and the majority is always wrong,,, maybe ur the problem

Hawkeye15
11-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Normally I'd say no offense before making the following comment, but man this is a stupid question. To pretend that it's only about the team, and that no single player stands out as the MVP, or the Defensive stopper, or the Sixth man, is just plain ignorant. Sure teams that play together win more, but to ignore individual talent is stupid, and would take so much fun out of the game.

MVP is heavy into the team wins, but that being said, the best teams usually have the best players.

tru
11-12-2008, 11:05 PM
why do u always speak like everything u say is right and the majority is always wrong,,, maybe ur the problem

this is considered baiting.......i can see that your new here so for now its just a warning, but any future remarks of this nature will earn you a ban, so rethink your gameplan holmes

dre1990
11-12-2008, 11:25 PM
NoO

hotpotato1092
11-12-2008, 11:52 PM
While we're at it we could stop keeping stats all together! In fact they should make a rule saying that every player has to touch the ball on each possession! You know what? Let's stop keeping score and have every game be a tie so that everybody feels like a winner! NO. This isn't peewee basketball, these are professional athletes who deserve to be rewarded if they have a great season.

lakers4sho
11-12-2008, 11:56 PM
this is considered baiting.......i can see that your new here so for now its just a warning, but any future remarks of this nature will earn you a ban, so rethink your gameplan holmes

lynchgagne's join date: March 2007 (~5000 posts)
tru's join date: October 2008 (~100 posts)

Way to talk about being new in here...

SAVAGE CLAW
11-13-2008, 01:00 AM
No, but they should be awarded by the players of the league voting, no votes for Journalist, no votes for Managers, no votes for owners and definetly no votes from fans, just the players , ( like in enlgish premiership soccer league).

tru
11-13-2008, 01:53 AM
lynchgagne's join date: March 2007 (~5000 posts)
tru's join date: October 2008 (~100 posts)

way to talk about being new in here...

lmao

DenButsu
11-13-2008, 06:19 AM

Cut out the backseat modding.