PDA

View Full Version : ESPN Power rankings: Week 2

soundjunkies2
11-10-2008, 05:47 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerranking?season=2009&week=2&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

JordansBulls
11-10-2008, 05:54 PM
1 (2) Celtics 6-1 Seriously. Go back and look closely at what the champs did in Houston and then in Detroit, then tell me how this committee (of one) could ignore the quality of those wins, even when the Lakers are blasting everybody.
2 (1) Lakers 5-0 Two more dominating displays, including a 29-point beatdown of the Ron Artest-fueled Rockets, have hiked the Lakers' average margin of victory to a whopping 22.4 points per game. Next in line: Atlanta at a mere 10.2 ppg.
3 (9) Cavaliers 5-2 You have to go all the way back to 1975-76 for the Cavs' first and only division title. Tell us: Do you like them to win the Central Division more or less now that the Pistons have swapped Billups for Iverson?
4 (8) Suns 5-2 Hard to argue with the insistence of the Suns' brass to impose occasional nights off on Shaq when he follows up a DNP-CD in Chicago with his biggest scoring game in more than a year (29 points) at Milwaukee.
5 (12) Hawks 5-0 The loss of Josh Smith for two to four weeks has to dampen the mood somewhat, but we insist on letting these -- get this -- defense-first Hawks enjoy their moment, now 2-for-2 as the U.S. Army Team of the Week.
6 (2) Hornets 4-2 Peja and Chandler weren't out of the lineup long ... and these days a home loss to Atlanta doesn't look nearly as bad as it sounds. Yet you get the sense that Coach Scott isn't thrilled with what he's seen so far.
7 (6) Raptors 4-2 Have you noticed Bosh is getting mentioned as a 2010 free-agent target almost as often as LeBron lately? Perhaps that's because there are maybe two guys in the East (LeBron and Joe Johnson) who can match him lately.
8 (7) Jazz 5-1 Has to be scary for Jazz fans to hear that D-Will is going to be out longer than expected. That said, Utah can't be too cautious with that guy, no matter what this news does to the rest of Jerry Sloan's November.
9 (5) Pistons 4-2 I'm sure the second-guessing is well underway in Motown after an 0-2 launch to the Iverson Era, but how do you pass on a deal in which you get the best player and the most payroll flexibility? Right. You don't.
10 (16) Magic 4-2 Anyone else out there think our scathing critique of the Magic in this space, just one Monday ago, is what woke them up and led to (mostly) comfortable wins over Chicago, Philly and Washington at home? Us, too.
11 (4) Rockets 4-3 You pretty much have to live with that heave Brandon Roy tossed in at the buzzer. Losing to Boston and the road no-show against the Lakers, in the Rockets' first two big games of the season, were the real letdowns.
12 (18) Nuggets 3-3 Back when the Nuggets acquired Iverson, AI couldn't get to Denver right away because of a blizzard that shut down the whole city. In the Billups Era, at a quick 2-0, things have started a bit more smoothly.
13 (14) Pacers 2-3 Not the easiest four opponents to start with: Detroit, Boston, Phoenix and Cleveland. Vulnerable as the Pacers' defense remains, let's see whether they can build on thumping Boston and hanging with the other three.
14 (17) Trail Blazers 3-3 Deflated as Blazermaniacs must be about the Oden situation, they're still seeing serious entertainment. All of Portland's home games have gone down to the final seconds and the local kids pulled out all three wins.
15 (15) Bulls 3-4 Injuries to Hinrich and Hughes should make it easier for the Bulls to find playing time for all their guards ... but tougher to assemble the trade package they'd need to address those well-chronicled size issues.

At first I was like woooo how did Boston get the top spot, but then again they won on the road at Houston and Detroit.
While the Lakers have been impressive they haven't faced an elite team like that on the road yet.

MiamiHeat
11-10-2008, 06:33 PM
:clap:
the Heat are stepping up

unwantedplayer
11-10-2008, 06:43 PM
I'm surprised at how well the Hawks are doing. Then again, their schedule so far was pretty easy and can't wait to see how they react when they play an elite team w/o Josh Smith.

mjt20mik
11-10-2008, 06:45 PM
IMO the Hawks and Lakers should occupy both the 1 and the 2 spot on this list.

Germa_Rican
11-10-2008, 06:47 PM
^^^ Pretty easy? They've played @Orlando, Philly, @New Orleans, Toronto, and OKC; 4 of which played in the playoffs last year. Beating Orlando and New Orleans handily and on the road is no small feat.

ugafan
11-10-2008, 06:52 PM
I'm ****ing sick of people underrating the Hawks
We played Orlando, Philly, Toronto, New Orleans, all of which were projected to make the playoffs. And OKC, who we beat without Josh Smith.

In essence we beat Toronto without Josh SMith too, he left like 7 mins into the game.

Jonathan2323
11-10-2008, 07:03 PM
how are the Bulls ahead of the Heat!?!?

G-Funk
11-10-2008, 07:13 PM
Lakers are #1 in every one of these stats.

- #1 in Western Conference. Boston #1 in Eastern Conference.
- #1 offense (106.8) Suns #2 Defense (102.7)
- #1 defense (84.4) Hawks #2 Defense (85.8)
- #1 3 pt shooting (47.1%) Raptors #2 3pt shooting 44.7%
- #1 Rebounds (51.40) 76ers #2 Rebounds (49.66)
- #1 Bench ????????

Lebron23
11-10-2008, 07:17 PM
Great Week for the Cavaliers and Suns because they are the 3rd and 4th best teams in the ESPN Power Rankings.

Congratulations to LeBron and Amare for winning the NBA Player of the Week in their respective conferences.

James' league-best 34.5 ppg last week helped Cleveland to a 4-0 mark. With wins over Dallas, Indiana and Chicago twice, the Cavaliers upped their season record to 5-2 and sit alone atop the Central Division. James added 9.8 rebounds, 5.3 assists, 1.8 steals and 1.3 blocks per contest.

With his second steal against Dallas on Nov. 3, James became the youngest (23 years, 308 days) and fastest (395 games) to eclipse the following milestones: 10,000 points, 2,500 rebounds, 2,500 assists, 700 steals and 300 blocks.

Stoudemire led the Suns to a 3-1 week, including victories over the Nets, Pacers and Bucks. Stoudemire averaged 28.3 points, 7.0 rebounds, 3.0 assists, 1.8 steals and 1.5 blocks on the week. He erupted for 49 points on 17-of-21 shooting from the field and 15-of-15 shooting from the foul line in the Suns' 113-103 victory at Indiana on Nov. 5. For the week, Stoudemire shot .646 (31-of-48) from the field and .927 (51-of-55) from the charity stripe.

http://www.nba.com/2008/news/11/10/111008playerofweek/index.html

Yogi
11-10-2008, 07:19 PM
The Wizards suck.

G-Funk
11-10-2008, 07:23 PM
At first I was like woooo how did Boston get the top spot, but then again they won on the road at Houston and Detroit.
While the Lakers have been impressive they haven't faced an elite team like that on the road yet.

Bostons wins against Detroit & Rockets were as impressive as the lost to the Pacers.

EddieB
11-10-2008, 07:31 PM
I don't care what the rankings says, im just happy we are 5-0

Lebron23
11-10-2008, 07:58 PM
:clap:
the Heat are stepping up

Dwayne Wade is having the best season of his NBA Career, and I hope he will remain healthy this year.

Miami Heat just need a reliable big men because Mark Blount is one of the worst starting Center in the NBA.

kobe>lebron
11-10-2008, 08:01 PM
wow after the lakers beat the rockets by 29 i don't understand how they are not no.1

MiamiHeat
11-10-2008, 08:03 PM
Dwayne Wade is having the best season of his NBA Career, and I hope he will remain healthy this year.

Miami Heat just need a reliable big men because Mark Blount is one of the worst starting Center in the NBA.

He isn't a starter but he still sucks pisses me off :mad:

and yeah I hope he stays healthy too.

dawgsfan_45
11-10-2008, 08:20 PM
Im really happy with the performance of the Hawks. Am I surprised? Not at all. I think we finally have depth and Flip Murray and Mo Evans are really stepping it up. Both are taking pressure off of JJ, which makes JJ a better player.

GO HAWKS 5-0!!!

ARMIN12NBA
11-10-2008, 08:41 PM
The Lakers nearly beat the Rockets by 30 points and the Celtics barely beat them in a close game. The Lakers are #1 in most categories including offense, defense, rebounding, bench scoring, defensive FG%, etc. and are undefeated. How are they not #1? Seriously...

JordansBulls
11-10-2008, 08:46 PM
The Lakers nearly beat the Rockets by 30 points and the Celtics barely beat them in a close game.

I agree the Lakers should be #1 however Boston won against two elite teams on the road. Lakers haven't played a good team on the road yet.

junion
11-10-2008, 09:09 PM
it's like the bcs. lakers are undefeated, but boston is the reigning champs and they beat some good teams on the road, while the lakers dominated teams at home.

but boston also lost to the pacers.

also, it's week two. less than 10 games have been played by the teams, so you can't really take these power rankings too seriously. lakers have played 4 different teams, while boston has played 5 different teams. need more time/games to accurately know how well/badly the teams are doing.

i'm impressed with the hawks!! they're #2-3 to me.

Lakers4ItAll
11-10-2008, 09:12 PM
Celtics are #1 because they are still the Champs....

Lakers keep up the way they are playing and they will be #1 soon.

It's only 2 weeks in so these standing don't matter much anyways, lots of games to be played