PDA

View Full Version : Rajon Rondo - Where does he rank with other PG's?

Faneik
11-10-2008, 10:38 AM
I'm curious about what PSD posters think about Rajon Rondo.

Where does he rank with other PG's?

JordansBulls
11-10-2008, 10:51 AM
I had my doubts about him last year due to ft shooting, but he has improved as a player.

Tblaze
11-10-2008, 10:53 AM
I think he fits very well with the celtics, and that's what makes him good. But on a bad team he wouldn't be anything special at all I think.

BRADY4MVP
11-10-2008, 10:55 AM
well, since he is my favorite NBA player, i obv. think highly of him....

i think that if he continues to mature and grow as a player then after next year he could be considered a top PG in the league...

prolly not put up cp3 or deron williams ppg #s, but handle the ball well, smart decisions...assists + steals

Kyben36
11-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Solid PG. Not Gr8. Never Will Be. He will not be a Shooter. Scorer, and since he has neither of those atributes he will not have he assist that He could. IF he did he could be a Gr8. But The Gr8s get Doubled and are able to dump it off. He will never atract a Doulbe. Very good Role Player thogh. especialy when he has talent around him

Very good Defensevly though.

cubulls
11-10-2008, 10:58 AM
Overrated...he would be a bum on another team.

JermanJaysFan
11-10-2008, 11:07 AM
Good player because of his circumstances. That said, he does a decent/good job taking care of the ball on a team filled with veterans that need it, and can score his own too. Good defender. Overall, a decent to good PG. He really, really, really needs a consistant shot to enter the next tier.

JJ81
11-10-2008, 11:15 AM
One of the two Boston players I actually like.

ink
11-10-2008, 11:25 AM
Consistently under-rated.

BTownTeamsRKing
11-10-2008, 11:28 AM
good at what he does. hes in the perfect situation. that said, he is learning fast and making smart decisions. If he could shoot consistently, he would be in the all star game, but until then he is a role player on a great team.

his speed and quickness and craftiness around the hoop is unbelievable. he has some crazy tricks. also dont forget the way he gets this team up the floor and pushes the pace without making mistakes.

i like Rondo, but i still see more room for improvement but his rate is going great. just ask AI.

JayW_1023
11-10-2008, 11:42 AM
Tough to tell...in the Celtics he has to play alongside three superstar players so I don't think people realize how good he is because statistically he gives up something.

I think he could definately drop 17 points, 4 rebounds and 6 assists on a team like Minnesota or OKC that sorely lacks a good point guard.

PhxOakFan3220
11-10-2008, 12:11 PM
Im a huge kentucky wildcats fan and i watched him play throughout his short college career. he has definatly improved all around in my opinion one of the best if not the best defensive pg in the game. He has to work on his shooting. I do think he gets a lot more hype because of the big 3 though. If he continues to develop he could b a very good pg

CELTICS4LYFE
11-10-2008, 12:49 PM
the ONLY thing he is missing ta b mentioned wit the best is a shot....but wait didnt kidd not have a shot when he came ta the league???

he is crazy on d n driving ta the hoop if he had a shot he could draw a double (like someone mentioned) an his apg would ++++++

philab
11-10-2008, 01:23 PM
It's hard to hate on the guy too much -- he was asked to not be prohibitive to the Celtics championship run and he accomplished that.

On another team he's an average PG, though.

JayW_1023
11-10-2008, 01:28 PM
I don't know...I see the same thing happening to Rondo that happened to Tony Parker. Parker also came in as a youngster and was hung out to dry playing alongside an established veteran core that allowed him to develope his game.

I think Rondo's journey in the league will be similair...playing alongside guys like KG and Allen will definately accelerate his maturation process more than most other young guys.

ink
11-10-2008, 01:44 PM
He has tons of potential. Already a very good floor general. Good player.

mjt20mik
11-10-2008, 02:56 PM
I could see him, at best with Boston being a 12 - 8 guy.

Ballah0liC1
11-10-2008, 03:09 PM
last in the league,oh wait sorry thought u were talking about alston

DetroitPistons3
11-10-2008, 03:11 PM
to be honest with you this guy is one quick speed player really his ability to pass the ball just one thing that amazes me probably one of the youngest players in NBA history to get a ring and leading his team at serious gameplay his acrobatic layupfake passes can just make the game easy for his teamates i mean it looks really hard for the D to get a hold of this guy trying to contend his speed if rajon rondo has that Jump shoot glowing then i could rate this guy the top 3 best point guards in the East i think rondo is the one that is responsible to make plays happen rondo is like another tony parker taking the d off the dribble constantly in the finals he in the playoffs had alot of energy and he developed alot of speed cause things were getting pretty complicated.

Wilson
11-10-2008, 03:12 PM
I didn't underrate him as much as some other people did the summer KG went to Boston, but he definately impressed me last season. He's exactly the type of player championship teams need. He's smart, gets the ball where it needs to go, and he plays good defense.

In a league where most teams have stars and superstars, the quality of your role players can decide how succesful you are, and Rajon Rondo is one of the best role players, IMO.

pebloemer
11-10-2008, 03:31 PM
I didn't underrate him as much as some other people did the summer KG went to Boston, but he definately impressed me last season. He's exactly the type of player championship teams need. He's smart, gets the ball where it needs to go, and he plays good defense.

In a league where most teams have stars and superstars, the quality of your role players can decide how succesful you are, and Rajon Rondo is one of the best role players, IMO.

Well said - I'll leave my opinion at that.

29$JerZ
11-10-2008, 03:32 PM
Franchise Pg? No
All-Star Pg? No
Role Player? Perhaps
Championship winner? Yes

I would say he is at least an above average Pg in this league

NYMetros
11-10-2008, 03:39 PM
He's very underrated. If he didn't play with Garnett, Pierce and Allen then I think he would receive a lot more recognition. He's a very solid player. He's turned into an okay shooter, a great passer, and a great driver.

LA_Raiders
11-10-2008, 03:44 PM
Good player because of his circumstances. That said, he does a decent/good job taking care of the ball on a team filled with veterans that need it, and can score his own too. Good defender. Overall, a decent to good PG. He really, really, really needs a consistant shot to enter the next tier.

Agree..

JC_
11-10-2008, 03:54 PM
He is pretty fortunate to be on the floor with the group of guys he plays with. It's the kind of thing that can really speed a players development and make him a lot better than he would have been if he was a backup or played on a ****** team. I don't think he's an extremely gifted player but he plays hard and is improving.

Overall, he's hard to rate because he's not really an offensive threat like the top pg's in the league but he gets his job done as a Celtic and that's all you really need to ask from him.

BkOriginalOne
11-10-2008, 04:04 PM
I watched rondo since his days in Kentucky. I was upset that he was not a lottery pick, pheonix traded him on day which was dumb on their parts, he coulda been a nice backup for nash.
I think rondo at his peak will get something like 14,8apg 4rpg, 2.5spg while shooting about .500 from the floor. He is the improved version of a brevin knight type player. Definitely going to be a value piece to any team, he will remain underpaid (max 6-7 mil a year) and will do a fine job winning more titles in future years.

jcphik
11-10-2008, 05:07 PM
1-CP3
2-Deron Williams
3-Steve Nash
4-AI
5-Chauncey Billups
6-Jason Kidd( he is old but prettyy damn good)
7-Andre Miller
8-Jose Calderon
9--Rajon Rondo

_Sn1P3r_
11-10-2008, 05:16 PM
He's pretty good. He already showed he can run a team pretty well at the point and he's good defensively. If he improves that J he could be more of a threat on offense because he can get to the rim but sometimes is too unselfish and passes it up.

Faneik
11-10-2008, 05:17 PM
1-CP3
2-Deron Williams
3-Steve Nash
4-AI
5-Chauncey Billups
6-Jason Kidd( he is old but prettyy damn good)
7-Andre Miller
8-Jose Calderon
9--Rajon Rondo

I like Rondo but I don't think he's better that Baron Davis and Tony Parker.

SteveNash
11-10-2008, 05:18 PM
He's a lot better than Iverson.

jcphik
11-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Rondo has the potential to be better then both Dvis and Parker, with Parker oout for a month now..i didnt include him in my list, but yes, of course he is better then Rondo

Faneik
11-10-2008, 05:29 PM
1-CP3
2-Deron Williams
3-Steve Nash
4-Baron Davis
5-Iverson
6-Chauncey Billups
7-Tony Parker
8-Jason Kidd
9-Jose Calderon
10-Andre Miller
11-Devin Harris
12-TJ Ford
13-Rajon Rondo
14-Derrick Rose --> I know only 7 games, but he'll be a top 3 PG in 1/2 years.

Lakersfan2483
11-10-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm curious about what PSD posters think about Rajon Rondo.

Where does he rank with other PG's?

He's a solid point guard, who defends and has shown he can perform at the highest level. As far as where he ranks among the "elite" point guards, I don't think he's close to any of the top guys. The main thing for him is to keep improving and not make costly turnovers, all of which he has improved on.

Lakersfan2483
11-10-2008, 05:41 PM
Rondo has the potential to be better then both Dvis and Parker, with Parker oout for a month now..i didnt include him in my list, but yes, of course he is better then Rondo

Tony Parker is a 3 time champion, former finals mvp, I don't think Rondo will ever be better than him. Baron Davis is an all star caliber point guard, and is far more talented than Rondo, so I don't see him ever getting to that level. Rondo is a solid point guard. He's not asked to do nearly the same things that a Baron Davis or Tony Parker is asked to do.

dangrant75
11-10-2008, 06:08 PM
He has a chance to be great, again if he can develop a shot somewhere around the foul line, something like Avery Johnson had to develop when the Spurs first won it.
He can be a scorer, if they needed him to be he could drive the ball to the hole every time. He might be the fastest guy in the NBA. That being said he developed a lot quicker than I thought, and the confidence with playing with those guys had a lot to do with it.
However if he doesn't stop with all the flopping he might hurt himself for real. He does get hit hard a lot and he is very small, but there is quite a bit of acting going on. I know everyone else flops many times per game but he seems to hit the floor 10-15 times per game.

G-Funk
11-10-2008, 06:33 PM
he's good i just can't stand his face?

G-Funk
11-10-2008, 06:39 PM
u

CheeseOnMyHead
11-10-2008, 06:57 PM
As a Celtics fan, I think most Celtics fans overrate him, but other fans underrate him. I don't think he'll ever be an all-star unless he somehow develops into the next Tony Parker, but he's a really good defender already and he'll take more coverage off the superstars once he becomes a more consistent finisher.

PG's I think are currently better than him in no order: Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Steve Nash, Baron Davis, Allen Iverson, Chauncey Billups, Tony Parker, Jose Calderon, Mo Williams, Andre Miller, Devin Harris, Raymond Felton, Jason Kidd, TJ Ford, Lou Williams, Gilbert Arenas. Perhaps I forgot a couple.

17th best out of the guys I listed. Close to average. Not too bad for a guy who's played just over two seasons.

philab
11-10-2008, 07:55 PM
He has a chance to be great, again if he can develop a shot somewhere around the foul line, something like Avery Johnson had to develop when the Spurs first won it.
He can be a scorer, if they needed him to be he could drive the ball to the hole every time. He might be the fastest guy in the NBA. That being said he developed a lot quicker than I thought, and the confidence with playing with those guys had a lot to do with it.
However if he doesn't stop with all the flopping he might hurt himself for real. He does get hit hard a lot and he is very small, but there is quite a bit of acting going on. I know everyone else flops many times per game but he seems to hit the floor 10-15 times per game.

Rondo might be able to be a scorer with Pierce, Garnett, and Allen still on the floor (or team). Without those guys there, he would get shut down pretty easily.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the guy, but it's just not the same driving to the hoop when you're the 4th or 5th guy the defense is worried about. Rondo could not under any circumstances be the primary scorer for a team at this point in time. Again, not trying to hate on the guy, but that's just the truth of it.

Think about a team with Kobe, LeBron, Paul, Garnett, and me. If you're the opposing team, aren't you going to let me drive to the hoop about as much as I want? Yeah, if I score a couple baskets, you focus on me some and you'll always contest my shot when I get to the hoop . . . but for the most part you'd rather me take the shots than the other four.

Lakers4ItAll
11-10-2008, 11:39 PM
Rondo has good game but without the stars around him I don't think he would be anywhere near a top PG

Hawkeye15
11-11-2008, 12:00 AM
He has a chance to be a very solid starting point, who plays good defense. His offensive game will always be limited, he just has a terrible shot. But he is a good guard. Top 10? Nope.

bidi_nash
11-11-2008, 12:02 AM
He's a middle of a pack PG but only on Boston on other teams not that good

bostncelts34
11-11-2008, 12:18 AM
top 5 in east.

(no order)

Calderon
Andre miller
Rondo
Iverson (i guess hes a pg?)

tonyd3b54
11-11-2008, 12:40 AM
i heard this somewhere on tv idk where but the coaches in the nba voted rondo the best on ball defender in the nba...idk if hes as good as artest but rondo is a pretty nasty defender...anyway rondo is a good passer and can get basicly anywhere at will but i think he defers too much tot the big 3 wen he has a chance to get a layup... the more confidence he gains the better hell get offensively, but hell never be a guy who can shoot consistently off the dribble... i see him developing into a niice 12-15 ppg 8apg type player which ill take on any team...

Second City
11-11-2008, 03:21 AM
It's pretty easy to score and get good asst #'s when you have the Big 3 on your team....

EddieB
11-11-2008, 03:25 AM
Good player, a perfect fit to surround around star players

sunsalltheway03
11-11-2008, 03:50 AM
Rondo has good game but without the stars around him I don't think he would be anywhere near a top PG

Pretty much agree with this statement.

TMAC94
11-11-2008, 05:20 AM
i would rather have him than alston

EddieB
11-11-2008, 05:40 AM
Jordan Famar or Rajon Rondo?

Wilson
11-11-2008, 05:41 AM
Jordan Famar or Rajon Rondo?

Jordan Farmar: Good young offensive PG
Rajon Rondo: Good young defensive PG

Just depends which you need more.

lynchgagne
11-11-2008, 07:20 AM
hes perfect where he is...he'll get undeserved attention for the team hes on.. thats about it nothing special but like that he plays D and doesnt turn the ball over but id rather have all these PGs before him

D.Williams UT T. Parker, SAS C. Paul, NOR D. Rose, CHI J. Calderon, TOR T. Ford, IND B. Davis, LAC N. Robinson, NYK M. Bibby, ATL M. Williams, CLE S. Nash, PHO A. Miller, PHI R. Felton, CHA R. Westbrook J. Nelson, ORL J. Kidd, DAL J. Farmar, LAL

Mr.Grizzly
11-11-2008, 09:29 AM
Bottom

michaellui11
11-11-2008, 10:04 AM
I just think he is the Chauncey Billups/Mo Williams type
Can shoot anywhere if on fire
Very bright future but not the best point guard YET

THE_FLASH_21
11-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Overrated...he would be a bum on another team.

yuppers!

fatpat1116
11-11-2008, 10:32 AM
hes perfect where he is...he'll get undeserved attention for the team hes on.. thats about it nothing special but like that he plays D and doesnt turn the ball over but id rather have all these PGs before him

D.Williams UT T. Parker, SAS C. Paul, NOR D. Rose, CHI J. Calderon, TOR T. Ford, IND B. Davis, LAC N. Robinson, NYK M. Bibby, ATL M. Williams, CLE S. Nash, PHO A. Miller, PHI R. Felton, CHA R. Westbrook J. Nelson, ORL J. Kidd, DAL J. Farmar, LAL

agree and theres a few more i might even add to the list all those guys could have won the title with boston as the starting pg last year no question.

JC_
11-11-2008, 11:14 AM
Good player, a perfect fit to surround around star players

Minus the fact that he can't shoot worth a **** lol You still should be able to shoot even if you're surrounded by star players. Either way though he did his job last year and helped them win.

CELTICS4LYFE
11-11-2008, 12:04 PM

lmao!!!! ya ok

rosesbulls
11-11-2008, 12:38 PM
lmao!!!! ya ok

Yea sure Rondo might be better then half the guys you put in bold but its close enoupg were it makes sense to put there names up there id take down Robinson and Nelson maybe Felton and Farmar but its close with all of them. I cant see how you think its so out of imagination to put those players ahead of him Rondo almost no offensive game so depending on which type of player you want any of those players you put in bold could be better then Rondo or almost none of them.

Mile High Champ
11-11-2008, 01:21 PM
It is his situation in Boston that allows him to showcase his limited skill set to the extent he does. As a result I think he is over rated, if he is not on a team with three all stars leading the way, I really doubt you see the same play from rondo as you would if he were a starting pg on a team just above 500... His offensive Inconsistencies are too much for me to over look. He is not a top 10 pg, I know that for sure.

rosesbulls
11-11-2008, 01:28 PM
I just think he is the Chauncey Billups/Mo Williams type
Can shoot anywhere if on fire
Very bright future but not the best point guard YET

your kidding right Rondo has almost no shot. He is light years away from chauncey and He is not nearly the playmaker that Mo is i really hope your comment was a joke :confused:

wolf3742
11-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Time will tell. It is too early for me to say anything but his true skills are still not showing itself (whether he is really better or worse) because of playing along side three start.. But if he takes advantage of this moment and learn while while KG, Allen and Pierce are all taking the heat of the defense, he has the ability BUT as of now, I have to say i do not think he can reach the tier of the top point guards but I may be wrong.

cmoneytakemoney
11-11-2008, 01:50 PM
your kidding right Rondo has almost no shot. He is light years away from chauncey and He is not nearly the playmaker that Mo is i really hope your comment was a joke :confused:

He's not the playmaker that Mo Williams is? WTF when did Mo Williams become a playmaker. Mo Williams is a SG in a PG's body. Rondo is a way better playmaker than him and, he is in the top three defensive PG's. He completely shut down Jose Calderon last night.

Mile High Champ
11-11-2008, 01:56 PM
He's not the playmaker that Mo Williams is? WTF when did Mo Williams become a playmaker. Mo Williams is a SG in a PG's body. Rondo is a way better playmaker than him and, he is in the top three defensive PG's. He completely shut down Jose Calderon last night.

I did not see calderon get shut down, he simply was missing shots he usually makes, had nothing to do with Rondo. There were so many occasions where rondo allowed calderon to get into the paint at will.. Rondo did anything but shut down calderon. Calderon got beat by a cold streak...

KB24PG16
11-11-2008, 02:46 PM
hes a system player like how marion was in phoenix

cmoneytakemoney
11-11-2008, 03:18 PM
I did not see calderon get shut down, he simply was missing shots he usually makes, had nothing to do with Rondo. There were so many occasions where rondo allowed calderon to get into the paint at will.. Rondo did anything but shut down calderon. Calderon got beat by a cold streak...

Your joking right? Every single time Calderon had the ball Jermaine O'Neal came out to set a pick for him to get by Rondo and alot of times there was 2 guys setting picks for Calderon and Rondo fought threw them every time to get back in Calderon's face. When Rondo had the ball he blew by Calderon without ever having a pick set for him repeatedly. Don't get it twisted. Calderon didn't get by Rondo on his own once without single or double picks. I watched the game 2 times son.

JC_
11-11-2008, 04:41 PM
Your joking right? Every single time Calderon had the ball Jermaine O'Neal came out to set a pick for him to get by Rondo and alot of times there was 2 guys setting picks for Calderon and Rondo fought threw them every time to get back in Calderon's face. When Rondo had the ball he blew by Calderon without ever having a pick set for him repeatedly. Don't get it twisted. Calderon didn't get by Rondo on his own once without single or double picks. I watched the game 2 times son.

I do think that Rondo is quick but once he blows by his man unless he can shoot or set up a shot for someone else he's not going to rank very high as far as pg's are concerned. His 2/8 shooting and 3 assists to 2 turnovers last night doesn't really help your case.

dangrant75
11-11-2008, 05:02 PM
Rondo might be able to be a scorer with Pierce, Garnett, and Allen still on the floor (or team). Without those guys there, he would get shut down pretty easily.

I'm not trying to take anything away from the guy, but it's just not the same driving to the hoop when you're the 4th or 5th guy the defense is worried about. Rondo could not under any circumstances be the primary scorer for a team at this point in time. Again, not trying to hate on the guy, but that's just the truth of it.

Think about a team with Kobe, LeBron, Paul, Garnett, and me. If you're the opposing team, aren't you going to let me drive to the hoop about as much as I want? Yeah, if I score a couple baskets, you focus on me some and you'll always contest my shot when I get to the hoop . . . but for the most part you'd rather me take the shots than the other four.

He still has to have someone guard him, an on the ball defender. I haven't seen a point guard who can keep him from driving to the hole when he wants too.
Your right though, the defense isn't gearing up towards him, but their not playing a zone either. So they're allowing him to shoot freely from the outside, and he still can drive past the best defenders at the point position.
He wants them to collapse on him, thats the idea, to drive and dish. Again if he could shoot a foul line jumper, he would fly by defenders worse than he already is.

dannyy08
11-11-2008, 05:15 PM
I was curious did he play soccer in a Mexican League before? Dude falls on every play there is any type of contact, in an attempt to draw a foul. Stay on your feet!!!

Chicagofaithful
11-11-2008, 05:17 PM
he looks better than he is because of all the double teams that KG RAY and PP get... you put him in Mike Conleys shoes on memphis and he puts up Mike Conley numbers... ect

cmoneytakemoney
11-11-2008, 05:35 PM
I do think that Rondo is quick but once he blows by his man unless he can shoot or set up a shot for someone else he's not going to rank very high as far as pg's are concerned. His 2/8 shooting and 3 assists to 2 turnovers last night doesn't really help your case.

He's not quick? I never seen a PG that he couldn't blow by yet and, as for his numbers last night I said he shut down Calderon. I never said he lit up the scoreboard and, he did shut Calderon down. Calderon was getting picks from half the team and, Rondo stayed with him all game long. He harassed him all night long. Watch the game.

Anthony Flores
11-11-2008, 05:42 PM
Ehh... top 10 Point Guard but, if you think about it how much better would you be as a pg if you had 3 of the top 20 players on your team

MilfHunter07
11-11-2008, 05:51 PM
I think Mario is going to be the 2nd birth of Rondo. GOod passes and tough Defense. But Mario can actually shoot.

JC_
11-11-2008, 06:42 PM
He's not quick? I never seen a PG that he couldn't blow by yet and, as for his numbers last night I said he shut down Calderon. I never said he lit up the scoreboard and, he did shut Calderon down. Calderon was getting picks from half the team and, Rondo stayed with him all game long. He harassed him all night long. Watch the game.

Grow a brain and then read my post again.

Mane
11-11-2008, 06:43 PM
Greatest point guard ever.

cmoneytakemoney
11-11-2008, 09:08 PM
Grow a brain and then read my post again.

You edited it **** boy.

Catfish1314
11-11-2008, 09:34 PM
Among starting point guards:

Steve Nash, Chris Paul, Deron Williams, Jason Kidd, Baron Davis, Tony Parker, Chauncey Billups, Allen Iverson, Andre Miller, Devin Harris, Jose Calderon, and Derrick Rose are the only ones who are above Rondo. That leaves over 15 other teams starting PGs to stick Rondo in.

Mile High Champ
11-11-2008, 09:36 PM

What are you talking about. Calderon was getting past him every time. Calderon's turnovers were not a result of Rondo but help defense by the Celtics wings and bigs. Rondo is nothing to rave about. I watched the game and did not see anything of what your are talking about. I did see Pierce go off at will in the 4th. Rondo played no impact on the outcome of that game..

philab
11-11-2008, 10:31 PM
He still has to have someone guard him, an on the ball defender. I haven't seen a point guard who can keep him from driving to the hole when he wants too.
Your right though, the defense isn't gearing up towards him, but their not playing a zone either. So they're allowing him to shoot freely from the outside, and he still can drive past the best defenders at the point position.
He wants them to collapse on him, thats the idea, to drive and dish. Again if he could shoot a foul line jumper, he would fly by defenders worse than he already is.

I think you're missing my point. The defense lets him drive to the hole because it's the best option for them defensively.

"He wants them to collapse on him" is exactly my point. He wants them to collapse because he can dish it off. A lot of the time, though, the defense is smart enough not to collapse, forcing Rondo to take the shot or force a pass. He's got some skills, so he'll finish on occasion. This idea that Rondo is some unstoppable force or offensive machine is just ludicrous, though. He is a below average scorer, and an average PG. I don't mean that to knock the guy, as he won a championship as a starting PG, but that's my honest assessment of it.

JC_
11-12-2008, 12:21 AM
You edited it **** boy.

What the hell are you talking about? Lay off the crack man, it's obviously killing brain cells.

Duncan = Donkey
11-12-2008, 01:42 AM
there are alot of PG's in the league who can do what rondo does for the celtics

ink
11-12-2008, 04:17 PM
bump

rosesbulls
11-12-2008, 07:40 PM

Have you ever seen Williams play yeah Mo makes plays for him and his teamates all the time. Have you seen how many open shots he has gotten Wally on cleveland and Redd when he was on Milwaukee.

Hawkeye15
11-12-2008, 07:42 PM
Is this thread still going? Rondo is a great athlete, with long arms, and good poise. He is a great defender, and rebounder for a point, but can't shoot, and is an average playmaker. He is nowhere near all star level, but he will do if you have what Boston has around them.

AFlagRules
11-12-2008, 07:54 PM
He's not better than Calderon.

Read my sig.

kvrnm
11-12-2008, 08:00 PM
What are you talking about. Calderon was getting past him every time. Calderon's turnovers were not a result of Rondo but help defense by the Celtics wings and bigs. Rondo is nothing to rave about. I watched the game and did not see anything of what your are talking about. I did see Pierce go off at will in the 4th. Rondo played no impact on the outcome of that game..

watching that game, there was nothing to rave about calderon either.

AFlagRules
11-12-2008, 08:02 PM
watching that game, there was nothing to rave about calderon either.

Because he had 1 off night, and still had a much better game than Rondo.

tonyd3b54
11-12-2008, 08:02 PM

Read my sig.

rondos game is not based on offensive numbers... hes one of the best defensive pgs in the game... thats wat he does... he can also get a good amount of assist...hes not a scorer nor will he ever be and this is coming from a celtics fan... at most i see him being a 15ppg 9 apg guy but will probly end up at 12ppg 8apg type pg and with the type of D that he plays ill take that anyday of the week

also let it be known that its only his 3rd year and 2nd full season most pgs take a while to grow into their potential theyre not all chris pauls and dwills

kvrnm
11-12-2008, 08:03 PM

Read my sig.

your sig if anything, proves they both suck.... calderons offensive game looked about as bad as rondos did that night.... there are no great pg's in the east, so for you raptors fans, stop trying to put calderon into that category

kvrnm
11-12-2008, 08:05 PM
rondos game is not based on offensive numbers... hes one of the best defensive pgs in the game... thats wat he does... he can also get a good amount of assist...hes not a scorer nor will he ever be and this is coming from a celtics fan... at most i see him being a 15ppg 9 apg guy but will probly end up at 12ppg 8apg type pg and with the type of D that he plays ill take that anyday of the week

yaa and rajon brings so much hustle and energy to the court its ridiculous... but people (raptors fans) dont seem to notice or care about that.

AFlagRules
Calderon had 1 off night out of the 7 games we've played so far. Rondo has off-nights every night with some good nights.

Sure he plays defense, but he did nothing to stop Calderon that night. Calderon just missed a bunch of open shots off screens.

AFlagRules
yaa and rajon brings so much hustle and energy to the court its ridiculous... but people (raptors fans) dont seem to notice or care about that.

Of course we do. But for all the hustle that Rondo brings, Calderon brings it with his intensity and his hustle and heart.

kvrnm
11-12-2008, 08:06 PM
Calderon had 1 off night out of the 7 games we've played so far. Rondo has off-nights every night with some good nights.

Sure he plays defense, but he did nothing to stop Calderon that night. Calderon just missed a bunch of open shots off screens.

thats cus he isnt that great, and kg talked a lil **** to him, and he couldnt do anything about it.

kvrnm
11-12-2008, 08:08 PM
Of course we do. But for all the hustle that Rondo brings, Calderon brings it with his intensity and his hustle and heart.

there both average point guards, maybe a little above average... which equals a top pg in the east..

AFlagRules
11-12-2008, 08:09 PM
thats cus he isnt that great, and kg talked a lil **** to him, and he couldnt do anything about it.

That's the difference between a 1st ballot HOF and a guy who's been in the league for 4 years and close to hitting his prime. For Calderon i'm sure it was a HUGE learning experience.

AFlagRules
11-12-2008, 08:09 PM
there both average point guards, maybe a little above average... which equals a top pg in the east..

15/9 is average....Boy where have i been?

kvrnm
11-12-2008, 08:12 PM
15/9 is average....Boy where have i been?

it would be about 10/8 if he played in the west... tthe pgs over there would **** him up.

cmoneytakemoney
11-12-2008, 08:29 PM

Rondo shut Calderon down. Calderon had Jermaine O'Neal set a pick for him to get around Rondo every single time the Raps had possession and, Rondo still fought threw the picks all night long and, disturbed Calderon's shot. I saw Rondo blow by Calderon 5 or 6 times with no picks with ease. Watch the game again. Calderon got owned defensively by Rondo. LOL

UofA
11-12-2008, 08:41 PM
He does what the Celtics need him to do well. On a different team he would be average

rosesbulls
11-12-2008, 09:07 PM

also let it be known that its only his 3rd year and 2nd full season most pgs take a while to grow into their potential theyre not all chris pauls and dwills

Rondo will never be a 12/8 and definatly not a 15/9 if he cant put up more then 6 assists a game and just 5.1 last season on a team with still 1 of the best if not they best pure shooter in the league in Ray Allen, top 3 big man in KG, and a beast in Paul Pierce how in the world will he average that without them in a couple years when there way over the hill.

Halladay
11-12-2008, 09:13 PM
Rondo is a good guard, he hustles, plays good defense and is very athletic but I don't ever see him being a top 10 PG or an all-star. He looks good on a championship calibre team but when the Celtic eventually spilt the team up, we'll see just how good he'll be on a bad/average team.

bostncelts34
11-12-2008, 10:43 PM
Rondo will never be a 12/8 and definatly not a 15/9 if he cant put up more then 6 assists a game and just 5.1 last season on a team with still 1 of the best if not they best pure shooter in the league in Ray Allen, top 3 big man in KG, and a beast in Paul Pierce how in the world will he average that without them in a couple years when there way over the hill.

u just answered ur own question, he only averaged 5.1 because of those guys. Ray and Paul brought the ball up alot and ran the offense as well.

never be a 12/8 guy? your crazy man. This is only his 3rd year in the league, and hes continuing to improve.

tonyd3b54
11-12-2008, 10:58 PM

you are aware that last year was rondos first full year and first time ever starting right? please let the guy develope a little... 5.1 apg is pretty dam good for a pg in his first full season not to mention the fact that ray allen and pierce handle the ball just as much if not more than he does....

JC_
11-12-2008, 11:25 PM
lol Rondo just about lost the game for the Celtics with an ugly airball, good thing for Pierce's clutcheness to save the day. PP's been huge this week.

bostncelts34
11-12-2008, 11:30 PM
lol Rondo just about lost the game for the Celtics with an ugly airball, good thing for Pierce's clutcheness to save the day. PP's been huge this week.

that was good D by atlanta. And yea, NO ONE ever shoots an air ball. lol

We all know rondo cant shoot, and it doesnt matter.

before tonight hes averaging 8/6 and i know he had like 8 or 9 assist tonight and another great defensive night

How can you guys say he wont ever average 12/8? This is just his 2nd year starting.

tonyd3b54
11-12-2008, 11:38 PM

did u happen to see the jumper he nailed in the final minute to put the celtics up 2? or are u just ignoring that and the fact he had 10 assist just so u can make ur arguement look kinda good...?

ShaunRiching9
11-12-2008, 11:40 PM
Steve Nash
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Jose Calderon
Gilbert Arenas
Chauncey Billups
Andre Miller
Tj Ford
Tony Parker
Devon Harris

in no particular order just off the top of my head are better then him

JC_
11-12-2008, 11:47 PM
did u happen to see the jumper he nailed in the final minute to put the celtics up 2? or are u just ignoring that and the fact he had 10 assist just so u can make ur arguement look kinda good...?

I saw that jumper.

tonyd3b54
11-12-2008, 11:57 PM
mk just making sure

cmoneytakemoney
11-13-2008, 12:09 AM
If he can develop a consistent jumper he'd be a top 5 PG easily. He is the best defensive PG in basketball, lighting fast, and is a very good passer. All he needs is a consistent 18 ft jumper. He don't need to be a 3 point shooter but, if he developed a nice 15ft to 20ft jumper he'd be top 5 because he can blow by any PG in basketball and, if people start respecting his shot then skys the limit for this kid. Right now he's # 3 in the East behind Andre Miller and Mike Bibby but, he could surpass them both they way he improves every single game.

cmoneytakemoney
11-13-2008, 12:15 AM
Steve Nash
Chris Paul
Deron Williams
Jose Calderon
Gilbert Arenas
Chauncey Billups
Andre Miller
Tj Ford
Tony Parker
Devon Harris

in no particular order just off the top of my head are better then him

No way! Rondo is better than TJ Ford, Jose Calderon, Devon Harris, and Gilbert Arenas because Arenas is really not a pure point guard. He's a gunner, a 2 guard in a point guards body. Seriously WTF has Devon Harris done to be in the top 10 point guards in basketball? TJ Ford is injury prone but, Ford is still a little better than Calderon and, Rondo hits the floor all the time and, gets fouled real hard constantly but, doesn't get injured. Your list is crooked like your teeth. 75% of the genera managers in the league would take Rondo over Ford, Harris, and Calderon. Probably not Arenas because he is a awesome scorer but, he's not really a point guard.

philab
11-13-2008, 07:59 PM
No way! Rondo is better than TJ Ford, Jose Calderon, Devon Harris, and Gilbert Arenas because Arenas is really not a pure point guard. He's a gunner, a 2 guard in a point guards body. Seriously WTF has Devon Harris done to be in the top 10 point guards in basketball? TJ Ford is injury prone but, Ford is still a little better than Calderon and, Rondo hits the floor all the time and, gets fouled real hard constantly but, doesn't get injured. Your list is crooked like your teeth. 75% of the genera managers in the league would take Rondo over Ford, Harris, and Calderon. Probably not Arenas because he is a awesome scorer but, he's not really a point guard.

Umm . . .
Devin Harris -- 19 and 5
TJ Ford -- 17 and 6+
Jose Calderon -- 13+ and 9
Rajon Rondo -- 8 and 7

. . . this season.

Rondo has BY FAR the most talent around him of those four, yet he still has the worst numbers. His EFF is also the lowest of the four and by about four points.

Rondo's defense doesn't quite make up the distance between him and the other three, either.

It's a short season, but until those numbers start to swing his way, quit being such an idiot.

Rondo's a fine player, but he's average at best.

JC_
11-13-2008, 08:10 PM
Umm . . .
Devin Harris -- 19 and 5
TJ Ford -- 17 and 6+
Rajon Rondo -- 8 and 7

. . . this season.

Rondo has BY FAR the most talent around him of those four, yet he still has the worst numbers. His EFF is also the lowest of the four and by about four points.

Rondo's defense doesn't quite make up the distance between him and the other three, either.

It's a short season, but until those numbers start to swing his way, quit being such an idiot.

We should change the way we are looking at Rondo. Instead of thinking of all of the people who are better than Rondo, we should look at who's worse. At the moment I can't think of any point guards that are worse but i'll give it some thought.

JAZZNC
11-13-2008, 08:58 PM
I don't know exactly where he's at, he's not in the elite group of guys but he's a dang solid player that does just what that team needs. His jumper will get there . He's got a lot of room to improve and he's already a damn good player.

Wilson
11-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Umm . . .
Devin Harris -- 19 and 5
TJ Ford -- 17 and 6+
Rajon Rondo -- 8 and 7

. . . this season.

Wait, because Rajon Rondo is playing with 3 possible hall of famers, he should be scoring more points? Obviously he's not a great offensive PG, but he does exactly what's asked of him. His defense does plenty to make up the difference between him and them, since that's how you win championships.

I'm not going to say that Rondo is a great guard, but he's certainly better than average.

We should change the way we are looking at Rondo. Instead of thinking of all of the people who are better than Rondo, we should look at who's worse. At the moment I can't think of any point guards that are worse but i'll give it some thought.

:eyebrow:

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-13-2008, 09:44 PM
He's good. Not an elite PG yet... He's not even a top 3 PG in his Division. IMO

philab
11-13-2008, 10:39 PM
Wait, because Rajon Rondo is playing with 3 possible hall of famers, he should be scoring more points? Obviously he's not a great offensive PG, but he does exactly what's asked of him. His defense does plenty to make up the difference between him and them, since that's how you win championships.

I'm not going to say that Rondo is a great guard, but he's certainly better than average.

Where did I say he should be scoring more points?

I was giving some numbers for comparison. The only conclusions I made were 1) Rondo's team is WAY better and 2) Rondo's numbers are the worst (of the four listed). Neither of these are really arguable.

The post I quoted said that Rondo was better than Ford, Calderon, and Harris. The numbers indicate that that is complete bull-****. Yes, Rondo's defense (and all the other unquantifiable aspects of basketball) bring his value up a lot, but not up to the level of these guys (for me, at least).

SO, as I said earlier, until those numbers start to swing Rondo's way even a little, any argument that Rondo is easily better than Harris, Ford, or Calderon is just plain idiotic.

And yes, Rondo does do exactly what's asked of him. Hence, I've never come even close to trashing the guy. Doing exactly what's asked has no bearing on his value among other point guards on other teams, though. My honest, unbiased assessment is that he's an average PG at best. Take it for what it is.

Wilson
11-14-2008, 01:41 AM
Where did I say he should be scoring more points?

I was giving some numbers for comparison. The only conclusions I made were 1) Rondo's team is WAY better and 2) Rondo's numbers are the worst (of the four listed). Neither of these are really arguable.

The post I quoted said that Rondo was better than Ford, Calderon, and Harris. The numbers indicate that that is complete bull-****. Yes, Rondo's defense (and all the other unquantifiable aspects of basketball) bring his value up a lot, but not up to the level of these guys (for me, at least).

SO, as I said earlier, until those numbers start to swing Rondo's way even a little, any argument that Rondo is easily better than Harris, Ford, or Calderon is just plain idiotic.

And yes, Rondo does do exactly what's asked of him. Hence, I've never come even close to trashing the guy. Doing exactly what's asked has no bearing on his value among other point guards on other teams, though. My honest, unbiased assessment is that he's an average PG at best. Take it for what it is.

Yeah I see what you mean. I can't say that Rondo is just average though. You're right that he's not a star, but the fact that he can play defense at the level he does, and is so good at getting to the rim, whilst just being 22 years of age makes him more than an average player. He's already a very good player in my eyes, and has a lot of time to improve.

Roy31
11-14-2008, 04:40 AM
1. Chris Paul
2. Gibson
3. Ford
4. Rajon Rambo
5. Jamaal Tinsley
6. Not Calderon

Faneik
11-14-2008, 04:56 AM

I can't think of a dumber poster.

JC_
11-14-2008, 10:51 AM
I can't think of a dumber poster.

I can't think of a dumber response to a dumb post. Atleast give some examples of starting pg's who are worse.

edit: I see cmoneytakemoney is banned - my previous post was suppose to be a punch in the nuts to him so no one should take it too seriously.

Faneik
11-14-2008, 01:11 PM
I can't think of a dumber response to a dumb post. Atleast give some examples of starting pg's who are worse.

edit: I see cmoneytakemoney is banned - my previous post was suppose to be a punch in the nuts to him so no one should take it too seriously.

So, calling you dumb makes me dumb?

Do people get dumb just by talking to you, that's it?

I'll stop responding to you then.