PDA

View Full Version : Closer Options (rumors so far)

hoog
11-10-2008, 09:01 AM
I don't know if they are rumors as much as they might be just predictions from other sites but here's what I've been reading so far:

1. Juan Cruz (My personal favorite, BTW) signing with us and be given the first shot at the closer role.

2. Chad Cordero being looked at by the Tigers staff. Currently, from what I have read, it's more a look into his medical records at this point.

3. I saw a site that said the Tigers may have interest in J.J. Putz, Houston Street, and Kevin Gregg but would have to be willing to part with Larish.

Out of the above options, I'd have to go with Juan Cruz. At the very least he'd be a very good set-up man if he failed as a closer. Personally, I think he would fit in with our payroll plan (he's a bit of a lower teir closer on this market) and he'd be a better option than we have currently.

mark1125
11-10-2008, 01:40 PM
I don't know if they are rumors as much as they might be just predictions from other sites but here's what I've been reading so far:

1. Juan Cruz (My personal favorite, BTW) signing with us and be given the first shot at the closer role.

2. Chad Cordero being looked at by the Tigers staff. Currently, from what I have read, it's more a look into his medical records at this point.

3. I saw a site that said the Tigers may have interest in J.J. Putz, Houston Street, and Kevin Gregg but would have to be willing to part with Larish.

Out of the above options, I'd have to go with Juan Cruz. At the very least he'd be a very good set-up man if he failed as a closer. Personally, I think he would fit in with our payroll plan (he's a bit of a lower teir closer on this market) and he'd be a better option than we have currently.

I personally wouln't mind us getting Cruz. He would be moderately inexpensvie and he has had some solid years.

I have never been a fan of C. Cordero.

Putz might be intersting. He is a local boy and his stock is down. I have no issues dealing Larish. I don't think he will develop into anything more than an avg ballplayer. I think Oakland would want more fro Street than he is worth IMO.

JackB
11-10-2008, 09:39 PM
Looks like Street is on his way to the Rockies . At least for now. They are getting Street and carlos Gonzalez for Matt Holliday. There may be a third team involved that could get street.

hoog
11-11-2008, 08:08 AM
What positions are the Rockies after? Also, sounds as if we have at least called on Trevor Hoffman and Brandon Lyons. Hoffman turned down $4M plus incentives. Is a 41 year old closer worth more? In a one year deal to bridge to the younger guys? Maybe. I'm not a big Lyons guy so I'd rather wait for Cruz.

JackB
11-11-2008, 08:24 AM
Hoffman didn't turn the offer down. The Pads withdrew their offer.Lyons did a nice job this year. He had some break downs later in the season. I doubt we could get him cheap anyway.

DamusFucious777
11-11-2008, 09:57 AM
What's not to like about Brandon Lyon's 2008 stats away from Chase Oven Field in Arizona? Lyon's ERA in Chase was over 7. Place Lyons in rival ballparks and his ERA drops to under 2.50

This is a great sleeper pick. Go get em' Dombrowski!!!.... sign this guy.

the_fliz1
11-14-2008, 01:23 AM
What's not to like about Brandon Lyon's 2008 stats away from Chase Oven Field in Arizona? Lyon's ERA in Chase was over 7. Place Lyons in rival ballparks and his ERA drops to under 2.50

This is a great sleeper pick. Go get em' Dombrowski!!!.... sign this guy.

My sentiment exactly. Although, Lyons is kind of hot name right now and he might want more than the 2 years that the Tigers normally offer relievers. With his age, he could realistically look at getting a 4 year deal somewhere.

Epic89
11-14-2008, 02:23 AM
You part with Larish in a heartbeat; that kid leaves me flat and no idea why so many people like him.

Still gotta take more to get any of those guys though, so the Tigers will probably just be their cheap-*** selves and sign somebody bad.

JackB
11-14-2008, 08:35 AM
Can you blame them for not wanting to part with big money? Sure they offer it but they have some bad contract that haven't paid off. Hopefully some of Joe Dumars will rub off on DD. Sign some players and ship them out as soon as possible.I would be careful about wishing too much. You might just get what you are wishing for.And then we'll be on here writing about how we over paid for somebody.

TheRedMarauder
11-14-2008, 01:16 PM
Agent Rick Thurman said Thursday that Trevor Hoffman expects to hear from the Tigers.

"They are a team I would expect will have a lot of interest," Thurman said. "We have not keyed on specific teams yet." Detroit will likely face competition to sign Hoffman from AL Central rival Cleveland, and whether or not the teams offer him a two-year deal may make the difference for the 41-year-old all-time saves leader.

rotoworld

Nizzle20
11-14-2008, 06:56 PM
Hoffman? I would take him for a year. two tops.

Sheffies Chef
11-14-2008, 11:23 PM
hoffman is the guy i want closing games next year for the tigs.

cubsfan9124
11-15-2008, 11:16 AM
Well Kerry Wood is available now.

bballguy869
11-15-2008, 05:51 PM
I'd be happiest with signing Hoffman or trading for Putz.
Hoffman because he is more proven and we wouldn't have to deal anything for him. But, I think it'd be great to bring in a hometown player and I have no qualms about dealing Larish, either, if that is who we have to give up. I'm with mark1125... He'll end up nothing more than an average ballplayer.
Even aside from those two though, there really is no excuse for the Tigers to come out of this offseason with us being unhappy with our closer situation... DD better get it done.

Bondomania
11-15-2008, 06:03 PM
Hoffman is way past his prime and has never pitched in the AL.. i am going to bet he would get murdered in the AL.. The reason you don't part with Larish is because he is hitting .321 in the arizona fall league and is battling for the lead in RBI's.. the kid has excellent plate discipline, unlike all the other *******s we have on this team.. and he could be Inge's replacement.. infact i wouldn't even keep inge as of right now.. i would find anyone offering anything for him.. Larish has been reported as making a ton of progress at 3rd base so far in the fall

babygranderson
11-15-2008, 07:35 PM
I'd take a mild case of Herpes for Inge. That said, Jeff Larish is the 2008 edition of Mike Laga. (I'd love to be wrong, but I fear I am not).

IndiansFan337
11-15-2008, 08:53 PM
I am a rival fan, and I think if the Tigers get 1-2 more SP's & a good closer that this could still be the team that everyone expected them to be last year.

If they get JJ Putz that would be a tremendous step in the right direction. If K-Rod doesn't get many strong offers & the Angels refuse to negotiate anything serious with him I can see him signing with Detroit in late December or early January on a 2-3 year deal.

JackB
11-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Eric Gagne will sign a one year deal. the Tigers won't have the money to upgrade much more that him. He's not my first choice but I would rather give him 4-5 million for 1 year then give Hoffman or Wood double that amount for two or more years. We can't afford any of the others. Maybe Chad Cordero IF he is healthy.Only other option is a trade .

the_fliz1
11-16-2008, 10:24 AM
I really like Putz. The only problem with getting him is that the Mariners are going to want some decent prospects for him. I doubt they do the whole Ramon Santiago for Carlos Guillen trade like before. If we were looking for a closer for a long term basis then it might make sense. But why give up those type of prospects for a guy that we only intend on keeping a couple of seasons.

mark1125
11-16-2008, 11:19 AM
I like Putz, but I am not sure I am willing to part with more top prospects. The names of Cordero, Hoffman, and Wood don't work for me too much.

If Putz can't be had for a resonable trade, I would like to see us sign Brandon Lyon and Juan Cruz.

blueandteal
11-26-2008, 07:20 PM
As a Mariner fan, I would be disappointed to see Putz traded for just Larish. I like Larish, and he provides the plate discipline and lefty pop the organization needs. But someone would have to be added. Clevlen maybe, but I dunno if his offense can develop enough to be useful. I like Matt Joyce. I would probably do Putz for Joyce straight up, or something close to it.

Who knows what Jack Zduriencik is thinking, though.

blueandteal
11-26-2008, 07:24 PM
I'd take a mild case of Herpes for Inge.

Inge is such a great defender at third base. In 2006 he was a +27 and 2007 a +22 according to the Field Bible/Bill James +/- system, both good for second in all of baseball. He's pretty worthless with the stick, but some team will get him for nothing and get a great run saver.

babygranderson
11-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Inge is such a great defender at third base. In 2006 he was a +27 and 2007 a +22 according to the Field Bible/Bill James +/- system, both good for second in all of baseball. He's pretty worthless with the stick, but some team will get him for nothing and get a great run saver.

With respect, I have had the misfortune to watch this guy play everyday for years now. I don't care what the sabermetrics say, he is vastly overrated defensively, too. I pray somebody would get him because he is such a "run-saver".

He's a horrible teammate, and a crybaby diva. The TRUE Tiger fans know this. I am sure every team has that one or two guys that outsiders think are underrated or even a "steal," but trust me, you have to watch this bum daily to truly appreciate his SUCK-FACTOR.

JMDTM
11-26-2008, 09:10 PM
do you guys think Larrish will work out at 3rd? he put up good numbers in the AFL and is really young. if he develops as he has been, then that would be great for us. Also what about going after AJ Burnett. He would really help soldify our SPs. If Wills can regain his control he could be the number 5 guy, or Robertson could keep the spot. Also either one could play a bullpen roll. Also we have a few guys coming up through our miner league system. We have quite a bit of young talent to work with.

BTW, what is our salary for the offseason? how much do we have to spend on FAs alone? If we have enough i would be willing to go after Burnett and maybe someone like Juan Cruz as a MRP. He could help the pen.

Say we had our starting rotation be...
Verlander
Burnett
Bonderman
Gallaraga
Willis

and our pen would be between these guys...
Rodney
Zumaya
Cruz
Lopez
Dolsi
Robertson
Miner
Rapada

what do you guys think?

blueandteal
11-26-2008, 09:58 PM
With respect, I have had the misfortune to watch this guy play everyday for years now. I don't care what the sabermetrics say, he is vastly overrated defensively, too. I pray somebody would get him because he is such a "run-saver".

He's a horrible teammate, and a crybaby diva. The TRUE Tiger fans know this. I am sure every team has that one or two guys that outsiders think are underrated or even a "steal," but trust me, you have to watch this bum daily to truly appreciate his SUCK-FACTOR.

Fair enough. Seattle's clubhouse is full of crybabies, so I feel your pain.

That said, I'd take Inge on my team over herpes ;)

JackB
11-27-2008, 12:26 AM
Looking at the list you posted as our bullpen I'll bet the opposing team will get very excited to see our starter out of the game. Thats a sad list of middle relief pitchers.

babygranderson
11-27-2008, 12:36 AM
Fair enough. Seattle's clubhouse is full of crybabies, so I feel your pain.

That said, I'd take Inge on my team over herpes ;)

Heck, who am I kidding? I can't stand Inge, but the Herpes analogy seems to lose a little steam once I really think about it! :rolleyes:

Not being a Seattle fan -- who's your crybabies? How about we deal whiner for whiner??

blueandteal
11-27-2008, 02:34 AM
Not being a Seattle fan -- who's your crybabies? How about we deal whiner for whiner??

Carlos Silva, Jarrod Washburn, Miguel Batista and Jose Lopez off the top of my head. I doubt anyone would want the first three.. ha.

Bondomania
11-27-2008, 04:59 PM
i would take Lopez..

We Get:
Putz
Lopez

You Get:
Wilkin Ramirez
*pitching prospect*
*another prospect*

Then we could turn around and deal Polanco for a prospect or two

blueandteal
11-28-2008, 10:42 PM
I would be very pleased to see Detroit interested in Yuni Betancourt. You guys wouldn't be happy (since he SUCKS and all that, and is completely overrated by baseball Homers), but it would open up a nice opportunity for Seattle to package him with Putz for an okay return.

Wilkin Ramirez isn't appealing at all, especially as a centerpiece.

scottie
11-28-2008, 11:27 PM

WOW, I've never heard anyone say Inge is a "horrible teammate, nor a "crybaby diva" I'm a TRUE TIGER FAN AND HE IS NOT ANYTHING YOU STATE!

scottie
11-28-2008, 11:30 PM
i would take Lopez..

We Get:
Putz
Lopez

You Get:
Wilkin Ramirez
*pitching prospect*
*another prospect*

Then we could turn around and deal Polanco for a prospect or two

I wouldn't trade Polanco....NOT FOR PROSPECTS.... NO WAY!

mark1125
11-29-2008, 01:55 AM
I wouldn't trade Polanco....NOT FOR PROSPECTS.... NO WAY!

I'll be damned.......I agree with Scottie.

Polanco is not only a solid hitter, but he is one of only a couple Tigers who do the little things. He plays defense, bunts, makes contact, etc. And above all that, he is thrilled to be playing for Detroit. I am not saying he is untouchable, but the deal would have to wow me to part with him.

Bondomania
11-29-2008, 02:44 PM
lopez is younger, and hits for the roughly the same obps.. plus Polanco is gone after the year.. he isn't in the long term plans, he is getting up there in age and his back is continuing to get worse.. you might as well trade him, get some youth in here

blueandteal
11-30-2008, 07:41 AM
For the record, Lopez isn't going to stick at 2B. His range has been steadily decreasing every year, and this past year he was average/below average at second. Seattle tried him at 1B a bit, but I'm pretty sure his future is at 3B, if he develops the power required to play there.

That said, I probably wouldn't mind Seattle trading him while he holds value as a top-10 offensive second baseman, rather than waiting until he is a (potentially) below average offensive third baseman.

babygranderson
12-02-2008, 06:54 AM
WOW, I've never heard anyone say Inge is a "horrible teammate, nor a "crybaby diva" I'm a TRUE TIGER FAN AND HE IS NOT ANYTHING YOU STATE!

Scottie, I respect your opinion. Mine is obviously different. I interpret Brandon's words to the media last offseason (through June or so of the season) differently than you do. Perhaps my labels of "Horrible teammate" and "crybaby diva" are too strong, but with that, I know that others share my perspective. Ever listen to the HUGE radio show? He rips Inge worse than I ever could.

In fairness, I realize that many True Tiger fans also like Inge...a lot. I don't get it at all, but it is true. Inge is one of those fifty/fifty guys that fans adore or want to run out of town. Count me in the portion of fans who don't want him in our uniform anymore. I don't respect his game at all, and his attitude and antics last offseason/season made me lose all respect for him as a player or "teammate."

Lionsforlife
12-02-2008, 12:52 PM
Scottie, I respect your opinion. Mine is obviously different. I interpret Brandon's words to the media last offseason (through June or so of the season) differently than you do. Perhaps my labels of "Horrible teammate" and "crybaby diva" are too strong, but with that, I know that others share my perspective. Ever listen to the HUGE radio show? He rips Inge worse than I ever could.

In fairness, I realize that many True Tiger fans also like Inge...a lot. I don't get it at all, but it is true. Inge is one of those fifty/fifty guys that fans adore or want to run out of town. Count me in the portion of fans who don't want him in our uniform anymore. I don't respect his game at all, and his attitude and antics last offseason/season made me lose all respect for him as a player or "teammate."

I too would like to see Inge gone to be honest, but I also think people took what he said last year as something that it wasn't. The guy lost his starting spot and said that he wanted to keep starting at that position somewhere. Who wouldn't do that? I don't understand the cries of "crybaby" or what not. If you are told you've been demoted to being a backup in a position you haven't played in a couple years instead of starting at what you feel is your best position, you are not supposed to be upset?

Anyway, I don't even like Inge, never have, but do not understand why people think he's a crybaby because he was upset he lost his job (After he was shown a huge raise basically being ensured that it was his job.) I know I would have done and said alot more than he did.

Bondomania
12-04-2008, 02:11 PM
the reason why he is a crybaby, is that he made a huge deal about making a position swith.. he went to the media, demanded a trade.. etc. etc. he was a baby about the entire thing.. and instead of going out and prooving his value, what has he done?? hit .230 in 2007, (after we gave him money to be our starting 3B) and in 2008 hit .200.. he just expects to get a starting spot.. but turns out NOBODY in the league wants him.. we tried trading him, and nobody wanted him.. he is overpaid, and he couldn't handle making a switch, and whined about it almost every week in spring training.. he doesn't make adjustments required to stick around and be productive in the league, and i am going to bet that if he gets off to a rocky start, he will get the hook pretty quick, for a guy like Larish, or Raburn, who can handle to position alright, but can actually do something with a bat.. Yeah Inge lost his job, and he has a right to be upsetp, but he was completely unprofessional about it, in every aspect of it.. he thinks he is an everyday player in the majors.. but he isn't whatsoever, he is a utility/defensive replacement at best at this point in his career

babygranderson
12-04-2008, 08:09 PM
Preach brother, Preach!!!

Lionsforlife
12-08-2008, 10:22 AM
the reason why he is a crybaby, is that he made a huge deal about making a position swith.. he went to the media, demanded a trade.. etc. etc. he was a baby about the entire thing.. and instead of going out and prooving his value, what has he done?? hit .230 in 2007, (after we gave him money to be our starting 3B) and in 2008 hit .200.. he just expects to get a starting spot.. but turns out NOBODY in the league wants him.. we tried trading him, and nobody wanted him.. he is overpaid, and he couldn't handle making a switch, and whined about it almost every week in spring training.. he doesn't make adjustments required to stick around and be productive in the league, and i am going to bet that if he gets off to a rocky start, he will get the hook pretty quick, for a guy like Larish, or Raburn, who can handle to position alright, but can actually do something with a bat.. Yeah Inge lost his job, and he has a right to be upsetp, but he was completely unprofessional about it, in every aspect of it.. he thinks he is an everyday player in the majors.. but he isn't whatsoever, he is a utility/defensive replacement at best at this point in his career

I agree he isn't worth the money and that he shouldn't be a starter (backup/utility at best), but the fact is he was used as an everyday player and told he was going to stay there. Plus, why shouldn't he believe taht he is a good everyday player. Is he supposed to admit he sucks. Who does that?

But to get this back on the topic of closers, it looks like the Tiges are looking into Wood again. Will be interesting if they can get him with a two year contract.