PDA

View Full Version : Was Love for Mayo the right move?

Jefferson25
11-09-2008, 10:49 PM
Well the season is under way and we are starting to see the payoff of the Love for OJ Mayo trade. Here are their statistics:

Mayo
PPG APG RPG SPG 3P%
17.3 1.8 4.8 1.3 .393

Love
PPG RPG BPG FG% FT%
10.2 6.7 1.0 .432 .815

Not trying to be biased or anything but Mayo is shooting 3's at 40% and is killing of recent posting 25+ points a game at a very efficient rate. He is going to be a star in this league no doubt about it.

I don't know about you but if I were McHale I would be kicking myself again like he did when he traded Roy for Foye. Let's not be upset that we got Love because he is a great player in himself. We should be upset at the philosophy and strategy we use in determining talent. Obviously, everyone knew Mayo was a 20+ point scorer with gifted athletic ability. The Wolves obviously don't like those kind of players.

boeknows
11-09-2008, 11:02 PM
How can u not include Miller in this?

Hawkeye15
11-09-2008, 11:32 PM
We got 2 players for the price of 1. Mayo plays 39 mpg. We got a great deal. Mayo is the next Ben Gordon. We have McCants, and Foye. We don't need another 6'4" player who doesn't have a defined position. If you do a per minute basis on the two rookies, Love is outplaying him.

topdog
11-09-2008, 11:34 PM
Ah, the numbers game again... Anyone by chance see Love put up 20 pts the other night? Anyone? Say the wolves draft and keep Mayo, and you have yet another guard who likes to shoot (by the way Mayo started out w/ some pretty poor #s at 1st), that would leave Minnesota w/ Al Jefferson, Craig Smith and a bunch of veteran "energy" big men... yeah that'd work out great. Everyone likes to jump to conclusions 2. I'll admit i wasn't a huge Love fan but he's growin' on me, plus the wolves got one of the league's premiere shooters/6th men and dumped Jaric and Walker - this is no Foye 4 Roy deal. Y'all r fickle tho. I remember when Foye lit up the summer league an' everyone thought it was such a gr8 trade (Philly was willing to give up iverson basically just 4 foye. That story's far from over.

badkins1121
11-10-2008, 12:00 AM
Mayo - 39.2 Minutes per game
Love - 25.5 Minutes per game

Yeah so if you do the per minute thing Love's numbers are better. Plus we wouldn't have Miller and we would still have unhappy players in Jaric, Walker, Buckner.

And the Roy for Foye deal should never be brought up, WE NEVER WANTED ROY. The deal was agreed upon before the draft and the only reason we drafted Roy was to trade him and save $1 million on Foye.

PurpleJesus
11-10-2008, 12:46 AM
Miller
14.8 PPG
4.3 rpg
3.7 assts
42% 3 pointers

oh yeah, we got Love in the deal too. we got two starters by trading one. Oh yeah we freed up cap space too

Love/Miller/Cap space>Mayo/Jaric

thesparky33
11-10-2008, 02:05 AM
I honestly would take Love's numbers over Mayo's even if you dont adjust for minutes played... basically because all Mayo's stats show is that he can score, and will be a very high volume scorer down the road. Love is someone who can do a lot for your team, he can score, rebound, block shots, pass, and just is a smart player. I dont think I really should have to say much more, except just watch the guy when he's out on the court.

I remember hearing Jim Peterson the other night say that in a couple years we might be debating between who is the most important player to our team, Love or Jefferson. He honestly said that...

Then you add Mike Miller, and this trade is looking VERY nice for the Wolves, and really bad for Memphis.

Mayo could turn into a future allstar player, and I still think we could have the better end of the deal. Only way this deal comes back to bite us is if Mayo turns into the next Kobe or Wade.

WSU Tony
11-10-2008, 02:13 AM
Miller might not even be on our team for the 2010-2011 season. If he leaves before we can effectively use him in a deep playoff run him being part of the trade will mean nothing. If we don't use the cap space to lock up young talent and sign a big ticket FA come 2010 and Mayo turns out like many of us think he will I'll consider the trade a bust.

1. We need to have miller on the team when he acutally means something (when we're good).
2. Love needs to be a manageable player (not a star).
3. We need to sign a big ticket FA come 2010 with our new found cap.

If these things happen, it'll be an effective trade.

thesparky33
11-10-2008, 02:29 AM
I will say this right now, that I am SO SO SO glad that we made the trade we did on draft night.

I could be wrong, and Mayo could turn into a HOF player, and lead Memphis to a ring, but I'd rather bet on that not happening... ;)

WSU Tony
11-10-2008, 02:47 AM
And if Miller walks after his contract and we never use him when we'll actually need him? What about if no big FA want to play in minnesota come 2010?

Now we have Love vs having Mayo and what to show for it?

Mayo doesn't have to turn into a HOF player for this trade to not favor us.

silverson
11-10-2008, 04:37 AM
There are more reasons why this trade is good and they don't include Miller (which I really like).
1. The desire to play in Minny. Mayo never wanted to play here, Love on the other hand showed that he wanted to join this team. It's way better having a player that want's to be here.
2. Finding a skilled tall player is way harder than a finging a good scorer guard.
3. Love gets most of his points from trash. The work that Love does for us is very valuable and he is still a rookie playing his first games. He fits Al very well and that was what we were looking.

So even if Miller leaves after his contract (which right now I doubt and we'd still have extra cap space), I am very pleased with the trade

topdog
11-10-2008, 03:18 PM
As far as Miller is concerned, it seems like he'd be glad to stay if the wolves want to keep him. Minnesota is the closest franchise to his native SD, he seems happy to be here, and he's a guy who is willing to come off the bench, so no trouble there. Like silverson said 2, it's along the lines of never trade a big for a small (especially not when the small isn't even a PG) Wolves had to draft Mayo at 3 but there is no way he fit w/ this team, so i have to give McHale his 1st passing grade in a trade... only his "balancing" the frontcourt was pretty lame, i mean Love, Jefferson, and Smith are all undersized and Madsen, Cardinal, and Collins don't amount to much nor do they figure into rebuilding plans.

thesparky33
11-10-2008, 04:11 PM
First of all, who ever started the rumor that Miller is going to leave after his contract expires? All I've heard is how happy he is to be playing close to home, and how well he's already gelled with the team so far.

For all of his contributions on the court, I think his salary is a good value, and I would be shocked to see us just let him go in FA whenever his contract is up...

badkins1121
11-10-2008, 05:44 PM
If the Wolves want Miller he will be back. He said that he wanted to play for us and would like to end his career here.

WSU Tony
11-10-2008, 06:09 PM
First of all, who ever started the rumor that Miller is going to leave after his contract expires?

Assuming guys will re-sign with you is a risky way to build your future. He, however, seems to be happy with the situation right now and if that continues would be a guy to re-sign. Their is a long time between now and his FA mark and things could turn very quickly, though.

PurpleJesus
11-10-2008, 07:13 PM
the only way this trade isnt good is if Love becomes Jeffersons backup, this kind of worries me since neither is a true Center, and if we find a center, then that means with the thrid pick in the draft, we got a backup.

tcman2007
11-10-2008, 07:29 PM
I still think we should've kept Mayo. I think the guy is super-talented. I think he's more like Gilbert Arenas than Ben Gordon, personally. Also, unlike Love, Mayo can defend. It was a real opportunity to play both Mayo and Brewer together. How much better would our perimeter defense be? Miller is a good player, but he's no star. I dunno about you, but if I have the chance to trade two good players for a star, I would. Right now, it still looks as if we made the wrong deal. Time will tell, but I really believe that this trade will go down as at least a little lop-sided.

kvrnm
11-10-2008, 08:15 PM
as much as i love, love..... Mayo is the better player, and he isnt selfish either, that is the big misconception about mayo... he is a very good team player, and defender.

ryguy2k7
11-10-2008, 08:37 PM
I said it was a good trade...although when it happened I completely flipped out.

I saw the Spurs game that we should have won and Love looked like he could be potentially dominating in the NBA. I could see him with a career ppg of about 17 or 18 with a RPG about 8.

His defense is underrated and special big players are really hard to come by.

Players like Mayo are thrown around like hot-cakes.

Mauersota
11-10-2008, 08:52 PM
I've pretty much said it from the start. It is a good deal but it doesn't really fit with what we have unless we trade Al (or Love). For a team that is weak on defense Mayo would of helped and we could of experimented with a two point guard system which could of been great or blown up in our face. I just don't see the point of having two quality starting bigs when you are still have to ask for a starting center :shrug:

IowaAJ
11-10-2008, 10:29 PM
I think at the time I flipped out like everybody but it is very hard to tell who won this trade. I still don't think we have a guy that can take over a game in the 4th quarter, Jefferson can but some of our guards take stupid shots instead of getting it to the best player on the team. I think some people are underestimating how good Miller was when he played for Memphis, but right now if I had to pick I would of kept Mayo because you put Mayo and Jefferson together you have 2 great players a guard and a Power forward.

If you would think about the lineup with Mayo vs with Love.

pg Foye
sg Mayo
sf Brewer
pf Gomes
C Jefferson

Vs

pg Foye
sg Miller
sf Brewer
pf Love
C Jefferson

Personally I think the 1st lineup is better but this the trade we made so we have to live with it. We now have to players that our 6ft 10 and 6 ft 9. The only way this trade works is if Love can make the outside shot consistently so he and Jefferson can play well together. I think getting Miller and getting rid of 3 contracts made the deal good for us. If it was just Love for Mayo then it would of been a dumb trade in my oppinion but with Miller it makes it a good deal for the Wolves.

But this still leaves us in the same spot because we have Telfair who is a true point guard and we have Foye who is a combo guard, McCants who can score if he gets on fire, and then we have Miller who is added to that mix which gives us a threat from the 3point line. And we have Jefferson the only superstar on the team, and 3 undersized bigs in Craig Smith, Kevin Love and Ryan Gomes.

kambion
11-10-2008, 11:57 PM
good trade for a couple of reasons...

first and foremost, comparing their stats right now is a bad idea. OJ plays 38 mins a game, kevin love plays 25 mins. a game.

It looks bad now, but lets not foget randy foye averaged 18 points 6 assists last year towards the end, if he was playing well now we wouldnt be having this conversation, in my opinion. Kevin Love can clearly play, and his stats a a rook (out of shape rook acctually) are good enough to make that trade a big gray zone. So he is at least as worthwhile as OJ mayo as a player, in my opinion.

He also does a lot of things better than mayo. Mayo averages 3 turnovers to2 assists, which is deplorable for a guard, at any level, and it is trully possible that he becomes something like a Ricky Davis or a Jerry Stackhouse, that is a volume jumpshooter and dunker, that doesnt have the handle or first step to get to the basket. Love on the other hand has a positive assist to turnover ratio, and averages almost as many assists as Mayo with 13 less min of game time and playing a position that historically doesnt average a high assists total. Love is the smarter player, smart players learn better, therefore Love will become better, while Mayo learns how to settle for perimiter jumpers and get his, Love will learn how to win.

another big reason this was a good trade doesnt even involve love or mayo. Miller was a big deal, and getting rid of jaric and walker is compounds that into a net gain.

I wish we had Roy, i admitt it...but mayo wasnt the answer, we already have a player like that and his name is rashad mccants. Heck, i think jerad bayless is a much better player than mayo....MUCH better

kambion
11-11-2008, 12:04 AM
as much as i love, love..... Mayo is the better player, and he isnt selfish either, that is the big misconception about mayo... he is a very good team player, and defender.

averages 2 assists and 3 turnovers, maybe he isnt selfish, but he definately doesnt get his teamates involved, and doesnt know when he should pass, too bad we cant ask coaches in the league who they would prefer...

mayo will get better than that, but he really doesnt have the skills to be 3 to 1 asst/to or even 2.5/1 asst/to...my guess is 2/1 at the most...like ricky davis

kambion
11-11-2008, 12:07 AM
the only way this trade isnt good is if Love becomes Jeffersons backup, this kind of worries me since neither is a true Center, and if we find a center, then that means with the thrid pick in the draft, we got a backup.

hes our best big man defender (this side of mark madesen) so... my belief is that he will be better than Al J

THE MTL
11-11-2008, 12:48 AM
Did OJ Mayo just have his second 30pt performance. This guy is going to be special. He might be the best pick out of the draft.

boeknows
11-11-2008, 01:08 AM
Miller might not even be on our team for the 2010-2011 season. If he leaves before we can effectively use him in a deep playoff run him being part of the trade will mean nothing. If we don't use the cap space to lock up young talent and sign a big ticket FA come 2010 and Mayo turns out like many of us think he will I'll consider the trade a bust.

1. We need to have miller on the team when he acutally means something (when we're good).
2. Love needs to be a manageable player (not a star).
3. We need to sign a big ticket FA come 2010 with our new found cap.

If these things happen, it'll be an effective trade.

And what happens if in a couple years Mayo ends up leaving Memphis and signing with someone else for more money?

boeknows
11-11-2008, 01:10 AM
I still think we should've kept Mayo. I think the guy is super-talented. I think he's more like Gilbert Arenas than Ben Gordon, personally. Also, unlike Love, Mayo can defend. It was a real opportunity to play both Mayo and Brewer together. How much better would our perimeter defense be? Miller is a good player, but he's no star. I dunno about you, but if I have the chance to trade two good players for a star, I would. Right now, it still looks as if we made the wrong deal. Time will tell, but I really believe that this trade will go down as at least a little lop-sided.

So im guessing u didnt see Love defend the future hall of famer Tim Duncan when they played each other huh. Duncan was so impressed with Love that he congratulated him on his D right in the middle of the game.

boeknows
11-11-2008, 01:13 AM

He put up 20 shots in his first game in the NBA? How is that not selfish? He is averaging almost 17 shots a game. I would say doing that as a rookie is a little selfish but thats just me.

Sorry with his game tonight shooting 23 times now he is averaging 17 and a half shots a game.

WSU Tony
11-11-2008, 01:15 AM
And what happens if in a couple years Mayo ends up leaving Memphis and signing with someone else for more money?

If memphis is smart they'll sign him while they can for fairly cheap, like we did with Jefferson. Do you think in a year or two Jefferson would sign that same contract? :rolleyes:

Good contracts over pay the player in the beginning of the contract and are bargains for an organization towards the end of the contract. If you up the risk you up the rewards with these young talents. Of anyone to hand a mid sized contract to lock up a young player, surely a top 3 pick would be the guy.

Oefarmy2005
11-11-2008, 03:48 AM
If it was just Love for Mayo straight up, I would've taken Mayo. But what we got in return was worth two Mayos anyways. I agree with Kambion, and even after a couple of games, I am thinking that all around Love might become better than Big Al. I really hated the trade at first because I wanted Mayo so bad, but now that I have watched Love play a couple of games, he is special. I honestly expect Mayo to become a perrenial allstar, maybe not quite Wade but close, but even with that I would still make the trade.

_Supreme_
11-11-2008, 08:01 AM
He put up 20 shots in his first game in the NBA? How is that not selfish? He is averaging almost 17 shots a game. I would say doing that as a rookie is a little selfish but thats just me.

Sorry with his game tonight shooting 23 times now he is averaging 17 and a half shots a game.

I would agree, but Memphis only has Rudy and him to take the shots. The rest of that team is garbage when it comes to scoring.

So in this case it is different. And Mayo has been shooting a very good % too.

WSU Tony
11-11-2008, 11:41 AM
If it was just Love for Mayo straight up, I would've taken Mayo. But what we got in return was worth two Mayos anyways. I agree with Kambion, and even after a couple of games, I am thinking that all around Love might become better than Big Al. I really hated the trade at first because I wanted Mayo so bad, but now that I have watched Love play a couple of games, he is special. I honestly expect Mayo to become a perrenial allstar, maybe not quite Wade but close, but even with that I would still make the trade.

No kidding.

Seriously? I want to laugh.

thesparky33
11-11-2008, 12:55 PM
Tony,

Thinking that Love has the potential to become better than Jefferson isnt that far off. Jim Peterson (Wolves broadcaster) said the other night that he believes that in 3 years, we are going to be asking ourselves who is the most important player on our team, and it will be between Big Al and Kevin Love.

WSU Tony
11-11-2008, 01:17 PM
Thinking that Love will be better than Jefferson is wishful thinking imo. But then again these are ALL opinions, right?

I think Mayo will be a good player but no way am I going to say that comparing him to Kobe isn't far off.

I wonder how we'll play with two PF if Love turns out to be really good.

WSU Tony
11-11-2008, 01:20 PM
Jim Peterson is also a WOLVES ANNOUNCER. How neutral do you think he will really be? Sure, it's fun for me to hear Dick and Bert (Twins) say how good our talent is but they are Twins announcers and you have to take it with a grain of salt. When I hear the opposing teams announcers say how good our talent is then I start to take it seriously.

If McHale predicted Love would be our best player in 3 years would it mean anything at this point?

Jefferson25
11-11-2008, 04:34 PM
Mayo is playing awesome lately it is going to be a difficult argument that it was a good trade since Jefferson and Love play the same position and if we go for a center next draft one will have to be on the bench. Mayo is actually probably #1 right now for rookie of the year which pretty much kills the argument of Love being better than Mayo.

Also the Wolves are going to have to figure out the lineup situation. It is a mess in the SG, SF positions. They need to make a decision. Either play Telfair and Foye for 35+ minutes or use Foye and Miller for 35+ minutes. They should stop throwing guys in and out every 5 minutes it is not working!

KB24PG16
11-11-2008, 06:16 PM
We got 2 players for the price of 1. Mayo plays 39 mpg. We got a great deal. Mayo is the next Ben Gordon. We have McCants, and Foye. We don't need another 6'4" player who doesn't have a defined position. If you do a per minute basis on the two rookies, Love is outplaying him.

love undersized too is he a sf or pf

silverson
11-11-2008, 06:27 PM
We need to figure out the question of this topic. Is it if Mayo is better than Love? Or is it if the trade of Mayo with Love, Miller and all the other players was good?
To the first question, my answer would be that they are both great talents and they can become great players in the NBA. But you are comparing 2 players that don't play in the same position. From what we've seen until now, Mayo as a SG is good at scoring points and Love as a PF is getting rebounds and scoring a good amount of points. You can't say Mayo is better because he scores more points the same way you can't say that Love is a better player because he gets more rebounds. What you can say is that with that move Wolves have bolstered their frontcourt. And this is not an easy thing to do because good tall players don't come easy. For those of you that are worried about Love and Al playing the same position, let me remind you that you can't play an entire game with one line-up. We have seen that Al and Love can play together so there is no problem. Even if we get a good C, you won't have a problem. Did the Spurs have a problem when they had Duncan and Robinson?
As for the second question, I am of the opinion that this has helped the Wolves. The reasons have been repeated over and over in this thread. You get Miller and Love, they both want to be here (where Mayo clearly didn't want to be) and you got rid of some awful contracts.

silverson
11-11-2008, 06:33 PM
love undersized too is he a sf or pf

Hawkeye wasn't emphasizing IMO on the fact that Mayo may be undersized. He was saying that Mayo is not a clear PG and more of an SG. Where the Wolves have McCants, Foye and got Miller.
When someone guards Duncan and he get's congratulated, I am not worried if he is undersized to play PF because he clearly has the position.

Mauersota
11-11-2008, 06:44 PM
We need to figure out the question of this topic. Is it if Mayo is better than Love? Or is it if the trade of Mayo with Love, Miller and all the other players was good?

But that is just it your comparing players to players, the topic question is was the thread the right move. I mean if we traded our 2nd round pick for a player that is worth more then a 2nd round pick but is a PF that doesn't mean it was the right move.

Just curious who would want this lineup

Chalmers
Mayo
Brewer/Gomes
Jefferson
Kaman (Foye and anyone and everyone else they wanted for him)

or

Telfair/Foye
Foye/Miller
Brewer
Love
Jefferson

Jefferson25
11-11-2008, 06:54 PM
that could've been our team
Chalmers
Mayo
Brewer
Jefferson
Kaman

wow! what a disaster.. Kaman is going to get traded soon and we would've been the perfect destination

ryguy2k7
11-11-2008, 06:55 PM
But that is just it your comparing players to players, the topic question is was the thread the right move. I mean if we traded our 2nd round pick for a player that is worth more then a 2nd round pick but is a PF that doesn't mean it was the right move.

Chalmers
Mayo
Brewer/Gomes
Jefferson

or

Telfair/Foye
Foye/Miller
Brewer
Love
Jefferson

Well, we shouldn't have traded Chalmers. That was stupid.

I would take the first starting lineup if we got Kaman for Foye.

silverson
11-11-2008, 07:29 PM

Chalmers
Mayo
Brewer/Gomes
Jefferson

or

Telfair/Foye
Foye/Miller
Brewer
Love
Jefferson

I gave you an answer without comparing player to player. I said it was a good move because you traded Mayo who didn't want to play here plus some bad contracts for Love and Miller who are both going to be in your line-up and some expiring contracts. No player comparison here.
As for the lineup question, it is hypothetical and has nothing to do with this thread. If we kept Chalmers and if we were able to agree on a trade for Kaman. Too many ifs. It probably belongs to the trade/rumors thread instead of here.

_Supreme_
11-11-2008, 07:35 PM
Well, we shouldn't have traded Chalmers. That was stupid.

You didn't actually trade Chalmers. You traded the pick and then picked the player Miami wanted.

cwilson21
11-11-2008, 08:17 PM
The skillset that Love has could very well lead him to be better than AJ IMO. He's already a better passer, good rebounder, solid shooter and will become more skilled down low. AJ still needs to work on his jumper a bit. He's got that little one-handed shot down to a science though (don't know how).

thesparky33
11-11-2008, 08:20 PM
How in the world are we getting Kaman???

Was there any time where he was available to us???

I'm confused...

WSU Tony
11-11-2008, 08:29 PM
Who's going to play center or sit on the bench?

Other than Miller we have a bunch of guards who don't really have a position, no center, two good power forwards, and we're hoping to god Brewer finds a jump shot.

We really are the ugly teenager who needs to grow out of it.

silverson
11-11-2008, 08:50 PM
Who's going to play center or sit on the bench?

Other than Miller we have a bunch of guards who don't really have a position, no center, two good power forwards, and we're hoping to god Brewer finds a jump shot.

We really are the ugly teenager who needs to grow out of it.

Let's see it from the start. Miller as you said is a clear SG. McCants is also a clear SG and Telfair is a clear PG. So the only guard who does play 2 positions is Foye. True we have no clear C and that is something we must take care of. We can try to bring Pekovic back and you yourself said that with the capspace and the draft picks we have we can short this out. We have 2 good power forwards and AL can also play C and Love can also play SF. They can play together so no problem IMO there. Brewer is the most improved player on our roster. He doesn't have the jump shot, but this year he doesn't take silly shots. On the other hand his tenacity, defense and passion are very valuable and a lot of teams would like to have such players. We are a teenager because this team is 2 years old and built from scratch. So patience and everything will come.

WSU Tony
11-11-2008, 09:10 PM
I'm patient, sometimes too patient. The problem is we have many guys to play and only 5 spots to play them. Backups have their point in this league, don't get me wrong, but we have as many starters as we have backups. Unless some players start stepping up and showing they are true starting material we'll have this "who do we start tonight" problem for some time. Is it me or do we have many young guys but few who are stepping up to claim a starting spot?

Any one of Telfair, Foye, Brewer, Gomes, and McCants could start any given night and 1 or 2 bad performances could just as easily lose their spot. I'd feel much better if one or more of them would step up and take the starting position by force so we knew what we had for the future. This will come in time, granted, but it's not like we haven't given them time already.

Any time for one of them to break out..... any time.

Mauersota
11-11-2008, 10:20 PM
How in the world are we getting Kaman???

Was there any time where he was available to us???

I'm confused...

He is supposedly on the block now, and I just don't see how we have the pieces now to make a deal for him now that makes sense. If we just would of kept Mayo and Chalmers we could of traded Foye and whatever else they wanted (1st round picks, Brewer, Gomes don't matter) and made a deal that was fair if not even lopsided in there favor that would of left us better off.

boeknows
11-12-2008, 04:19 AM
If memphis is smart they'll sign him while they can for fairly cheap, like we did with Jefferson. Do you think in a year or two Jefferson would sign that same contract? :rolleyes:

Good contracts over pay the player in the beginning of the contract and are bargains for an organization towards the end of the contract. If you up the risk you up the rewards with these young talents. Of anyone to hand a mid sized contract to lock up a young player, surely a top 3 pick would be the guy.

What happens if Mayo chooses not to sign with Memphis?

WSU Tony
11-12-2008, 11:16 AM
If Memphis is smart they'll sign him to a long term big money deal soon. Over pay him in the front end of the contract and if it's a good contract he'll be a bartain towards the end of the contract.

Do you think Jefferson would sign that same contract in 2 years from now? I don't.

It's a risk teams must make to lock up young talent. They knew by drafting him they'd have to take that risk.

Oefarmy2005
11-12-2008, 02:55 PM
I'm patient, sometimes too patient. The problem is we have many guys to play and only 5 spots to play them. Backups have their point in this league, don't get me wrong, but we have as many starters as we have backups. Unless some players start stepping up and showing they are true starting material we'll have this "who do we start tonight" problem for some time. Is it me or do we have many young guys but few who are stepping up to claim a starting spot?

Any one of Telfair, Foye, Brewer, Gomes, and McCants could start any given night and 1 or 2 bad performances could just as easily lose their spot. I'd feel much better if one or more of them would step up and take the starting position by force so we knew what we had for the future. This will come in time, granted, but it's not like we haven't given them time already.

Any time for one of them to break out..... any time.

Great post Tony. I agree with everything you said above. I think will be a better team if Wittman can just decide on his starting five and keep it the same barring injury. That's how you make team chemistry. This whole thing with a different lineup every game is pissing me off. I honestly think I could do a better job coaching the wolves, because I would at least have the same starting five. I think I would have this lineup:
PG - Telfair
SG - Foye
SF - Brewer
PF - Love
C - Jefferson

bench
PG - Ollie
SG - McCants
SF - Miller
PF - Gomes
C - Smith

WSU Tony
11-12-2008, 04:05 PM
You have to start miller, cripes.

Telfair
Miller / Foye (I can handle some starts from both but more for Miller)
Brewer
Love
Jefferson

Let them figure out their strengths and weaknesses and work for a team game.

IowaAJ
11-19-2008, 04:55 PM
The problem is we don't have a player at the guard position who can take over in the 4th quarter. Love is a good player but I don't think he will be as good as Mayo in the NBA. Yes Miller was a good pickup but the guy has not done anything for us so far and he needs to improve. IF we would of taken Mayo and kept him or if we would of drafted Chris Douglas Roberts instead of the European guy we could of been in better position then we are now.

boeknows
11-19-2008, 06:23 PM
The problem is we don't have a player at the guard position who can take over in the 4th quarter. Love is a good player but I don't think he will be as good as Mayo in the NBA. Yes Miller was a good pickup but the guy has not done anything for us so far and he needs to improve. IF we would of taken Mayo and kept him or if we would of drafted Chris Douglas Roberts instead of the European guy we could of been in better position then we are now.

Douglas Roberts isnt even playing for the Nets right now why would he have been such a great pickup for us?

MDD
11-26-2008, 02:16 PM
Looking at it now no it was not Mayo looking Like a potential star and I don't think love will turn out to much.

WSU Tony
11-26-2008, 02:17 PM
That's what I was saying since well before the draft. McHale fell in love with him and let everyone know it which was a mistake.

boeknows
11-26-2008, 08:42 PM
And Mayo has led them to one more win that us. He shoots a lot scores a lot and so far hasnt improved their team.

tcman2007
11-26-2008, 10:08 PM
And Mayo has led them to one more win that us. He shoots a lot scores a lot and so far hasnt improved their team.

Well, we haven't won games, either, so does that mean that the trade was a failure? It's too early to tell. No one will truly know the answer to that question for years. Now, if you were to ask me if I had my choice between Mayo and Love and Miller +, I'd take Mayo because he has the potential, IMO, to become a superstar. And that's how you win titles, with superstar players.

Jefferson25
11-27-2008, 01:47 AM
Well, we haven't won games, either, so does that mean that the trade was a failure? It's too early to tell. No one will truly know the answer to that question for years. Now, if you were to ask me if I had my choice between Mayo and Love and Miller +, I'd take Mayo because he has the potential, IMO, to become a superstar. And that's how you win titles, with superstar players.

It is a lost cause to debate over this any longer. We all know it was a major mistake by taking quantity over quality. Now the Wolves are in a bind... fans aren't showing up and support is at an all-time low in Minnesota. Next question is will this team stay in Minnesota? Seriously there is a huge possibility this team may move to another city.

There have been so many mistakes made by this organization that there is so much doubt and regret with everything we do. Terrible culture and attitude just compound the situation. It will never end.

silverson
11-27-2008, 08:54 AM
It is a lost cause to debate over this any longer. We all know it was a major mistake by taking quantity over quality. Now the Wolves are in a bind... fans aren't showing up and support is at an all-time low in Minnesota. Next question is will this team stay in Minnesota? Seriously there is a huge possibility this team may move to another city.

There have been so many mistakes made by this organization that there is so much doubt and regret with everything we do. Terrible culture and attitude just compound the situation. It will never end.

No we not all. I don't believe it was a mistake.

howiend
12-01-2008, 11:17 PM
I've tried having an open mind but I don't see ANY way in 3 years we will look back and think this was a good trade. Mayo has the potential to be an All-Star. At the worst he will be an athletic scorer (just finished watching Jason Richardson) who can score in the 4th quarter. I don't see Love becoming an All-Star. I definitely don't see Love becoming an All-Star at any position other than PF and our best player is already playing this position. How will this trade ever make sense? We can win 24 games instead of 22 this year and next?

boeknows
12-02-2008, 08:07 PM
I've tried having an open mind but I don't see ANY way in 3 years we will look back and think this was a good trade. Mayo has the potential to be an All-Star. At the worst he will be an athletic scorer (just finished watching Jason Richardson) who can score in the 4th quarter. I don't see Love becoming an All-Star. I definitely don't see Love becoming an All-Star at any position other than PF and our best player is already playing this position. How will this trade ever make sense? We can win 24 games instead of 22 this year and next?

Basketball is a team game. I dont see Mayo being a team player. I easily see Love and Miller being team players.

Mauersota
12-02-2008, 08:14 PM
Basketball is a team game. I dont see Mayo being a team player. I easily see Love and Miller being team players.

If that is said about Mayo then I think the same should be said for Jefferson.

boeknows
12-02-2008, 08:28 PM
If that is said about Mayo then I think the same should be said for Jefferson.

Yeah somedays i dont think Jefferson is much of a team player either. He always demands the ball and sucks *** on the defensive end.

Mauersota
12-02-2008, 08:50 PM
See I wouldn't be surprised if Mayo is more of a team player then Al.

-J-J-H-
12-02-2008, 08:52 PM
Mayo can ball if we kept him that would have been pretty damn nice with Mayo and Big Al out there together but now we will never know of good they could have been together

boeknows
12-03-2008, 02:18 AM
See I wouldn't be surprised if Mayo is more of a team player then Al.

I wouldnt say that. Mayo jacks up a lot of shots. He is 9th in the league in shots attempted per game. He shoots 17.8 shots a game. But wow now that im looking at this right in front on him is Al. He shoots 18 a game. I didnt realize he shoots that much.

boeknows
12-03-2008, 02:20 AM
Mayo can ball if we kept him that would have been pretty damn nice with Mayo and Big Al out there together but now we will never know of good they could have been together

Between them there would be 36 shots a game.

Mauersota
12-03-2008, 03:12 AM
I wouldnt say that. Mayo jacks up a lot of shots. He is 9th in the league in shots attempted per game. He shoots 17.8 shots a game. But wow now that im looking at this right in front on him is Al. He shoots 18 a game. I didnt realize he shoots that much.

Mayo also is in the backcourt so he probably has more touches but I may be wrong. But shots per game isn't the only factor in being a good team player.

IowaAJ
12-03-2008, 04:45 PM
How many teams in the NBA have won without a superstar not many. Look at the past NBA champions. The Celtics 3 Garnett, Pierce and Allen, Spurs Tim Duncan, Tony Parker,
Lakers Shaq and Kobe, Heat Dwayne Wade and Shaq.

If we would of had Mayo and Jefferson their are 2 superstars plus then Foye or Mayo could of played shooting guard. Mayo is one heck of defender way better then any perimeter player we have but we made the trade we have to live with it hopefully Love turns out to be an awesome player and not just role player and Mayo turns out to be a role player but the guy worked out with Kobe and DWade so that is highly unlikely but you never know.

boeknows
12-03-2008, 08:21 PM
Mayo also is in the backcourt so he probably has more touches but I may be wrong. But shots per game isn't the only factor in being a good team player.

Very true. But his only 2 apg doesnt help his case either.

Mauersota
12-03-2008, 11:39 PM
Very true. But his only 2 apg doesnt help his case either.

What is the percentage of those assists going to Gay per game though, I mean he isn't running the point (I haven't watched or even followed Mayo on purpose though) so he isn't going to rack up the assists.

tcman2007
12-04-2008, 04:18 PM

It's the pct. that matters. Mayo is hitting 46% of his shots. That's not bad considering he's only 21.

boeknows
12-05-2008, 01:23 AM
It's the pct. that matters. Mayo is hitting 46% of his shots. That's not bad considering he's only 21.

Ill give him that he is getting better as the season goes on. But at the beginning of the season he was shooting up a lot of bricks. Lets see if he keeps it up for the entire season.

THE MTL
12-06-2008, 02:28 PM
Roy for Foye. And now Mayo for Love. Timberwolves loved getting raped. Mayo is averaging over 21ppg on almost 47% shooting.

WSU Tony
12-06-2008, 02:38 PM
Roy for Foye. And now Mayo for Love. Timberwolves loved getting raped. Mayo is averaging over 21ppg on almost 47% shooting.

Tell me about it. Many wolves fans loved the trade, I wasn't one of them. I realize it did miracles for our cap space and all but yikes, Mayo is on his way to being the Wade of a few years ago.

Our roster right now could have Roy, Mayo, and Jefferson. I don't even care what the cap space looks like if we had 3 young superstars in the making. :speechless:

Don't worry, though, I think (hope?) we'll be going for quality not quantity this draft with our 4 first round picks. I don't see us signing 6 guys (including the 2nd rounders) so I hope we'll pair the picks and maybe a player for another top pick.

I think the Knicks are in far worse shape than the Wolves at this point, you should be worried about that, shouldn't you?

boeknows
12-06-2008, 05:37 PM

I find this funny coming from a Knicks fan who signed James to a big huge contract to never play him.

WSU Tony
12-06-2008, 05:40 PM
Marbury, but yes.

boeknows
12-06-2008, 05:45 PM
Marbury, but yes.

No im talking about Jerome James. The big center they signed a couple years ago but has only played in 87 games in the last 3 years for them. They signed him to a 5 year $30 million contract.