PDA

View Full Version : Tony Parker: Out 4 weeks, not 2

LAKERS 24/7
11-09-2008, 04:45 PM
http://www.nba.com/2008/news/11/09/110908parkerupdate.ap/index.html

Tony Parker will be out about four weeks with a sprained left ankle, a critical blow to the San Antonio Spurs, who are off to their worst start in 12 years.

An MRI taken Saturday confirmed the injury to the Spurs' star guard, who was hurt during a 99-83 loss to the Miami Heat on Friday -- two nights after scoring a career-high 55 points against the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Parker was driving for a layup when he rolled his ankle.

The original diagnosis was 2 weeks, now he's out for a month. Is it possible they don't make the playoffs this year? Even with Parker they weren't doing too well.

JordansBulls
11-09-2008, 04:49 PM
http://www.nba.com/2008/news/11/09/110908parkerupdate.ap/index.html

Tony Parker will be out about four weeks with a sprained left ankle, a critical blow to the San Antonio Spurs, who are off to their worst start in 12 years.

An MRI taken Saturday confirmed the injury to the Spurs' star guard, who was hurt during a 99-83 loss to the Miami Heat on Friday -- two nights after scoring a career-high 55 points against the Minnesota Timberwolves.

Parker was driving for a layup when he rolled his ankle.

The original diagnosis was 2 weeks, now he's out for a month. Is it possible they don't make the playoffs this year? Even with Parker they weren't doing too well.

Whomever gets the top 2 seeds don't want to play the Spurs in round 1.

IndyRealist
11-09-2008, 05:04 PM
Didn't the Spurs go into the playoffs 5th the last time they won a championship? If everyone's healthy, they're as dangerous as anyone. They do need more depth though, they rely entirely too much on the abilities of three players.

MoBASS
11-09-2008, 05:15 PM

I don't think the Lakers will mind at all.

Hawkeye15
11-09-2008, 05:19 PM

I think anyone would mind playing a team with Manu and Parker on more rest than should be allowed. If the Spurs can make the playoffs, and their big 3 are 100%, they will be just fine

SensandRaps
11-09-2008, 05:24 PM
ya with parker and ginobli injured they will probably get a seed from 5-8th in the west and pose a tough first round matchup

thapharcyd
11-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Yeah I wouldn't want to see Spurs in round 1. They could easily knock off a team like New Orleans. Well not easily, but you know what I mean.

Hawkeye15
11-09-2008, 05:41 PM
Yeah I wouldn't want to see Spurs in round 1. They could easily knock off a team like New Orleans. Well not easily, but you know what I mean.

if their big 3 are healthy, they can knock off anyone.

barreleffact
11-09-2008, 05:58 PM
if their big 3 are healthy, they can knock off anyone.

i dont know about ANYONE...I strongly feel the lakers and rockets would eat them in 6 max, and I think the hornets would take them this year too. still...I understand that you mean if teh big 3 can get them into te playoffs after this terrible a start, they have to have been ballin their behinds off.

back to the topic...I knew it was going to be more than 2 weeks to begin with. In fact, I wont be surprised if it actually takes longer than 4. They spoke about his injury like it was REALLY bad. IDKY they ever said 2. Im nowhere near a doctor, but it looks like 4-8 i think

Wilson
11-09-2008, 06:12 PM

Or round 2, 3 or 4...Even with the slow start, I'm still not counting out the Spurs. There's still plenty og games to be played, and if they can just stay within a few games of .500 until Parker and Ginobili get healthy, they can beat anyone, IMO.

I think anyone would mind playing a team with Manu and Parker on more rest than should be allowed. If the Spurs can make the playoffs, and their big 3 are 100%, they will be just fine

Agreed. This team is still very dangerous, and even if Duncan is slowing down, Parker is only 26. He has a lot left in the tank. I do think they would benefit from some younger role players, but even so, the Spurs aren't finished yet.

Hawkeye15
11-09-2008, 06:21 PM
i dont know about ANYONE...I strongly feel the lakers and rockets would eat them in 6 max, and I think the hornets would take them this year too. still...I understand that you mean if teh big 3 can get them into te playoffs after this terrible a start, they have to have been ballin their behinds off.

back to the topic...I knew it was going to be more than 2 weeks to begin with. In fact, I wont be surprised if it actually takes longer than 4. They spoke about his injury like it was REALLY bad. IDKY they ever said 2. Im nowhere near a doctor, but it looks like 4-8 i think

well, they have 4 rings. I wouldn;t want to play a healthy SA

Lakersfan2483
11-09-2008, 06:30 PM
Healthy or not, the Spurs have some glaring weaknesses this season, they lack frontcourt depth and athleticism on their bench. They also have been struggling to score the past 2 yrs., they need to get younger and add more depth.

$KnicksAndKobe$
11-09-2008, 06:33 PM
It's gonna be 2009, Spurs are not what they used to be. Even with Manu and Parker healthy they won't beat the Lakers, Rockets, even the Suns with there new system.

You forget Manu and Duncan are like 31-32-33 years old.

Joshtd1
11-09-2008, 07:16 PM
Why do people keep talking about Duncan's age? Has he not showed enough with him being able to score, that he really isnt declining??? Im not worried about Manu/Duncan's age, its the bench and other role players that are the downfall of this team. Ever since the emergence of TP and Manu, Duncan has sacrificed for the team in term of scoring, but he still can.

However, with TP and Manu being out for the next month at the least, and as tough as the Western Confrence has been.....it is entirely possible for us to miss the playoffs, if we struggle alot.

bogdanrom
11-09-2008, 07:37 PM

Then they're stupid.

JordansBulls
11-09-2008, 08:55 PM

Why is that? They want to be in the record books for teams with the #1 or #2 seed losing in round 1 to the 7th or 8th seed?

That wouldn't make much sense to me.

theimortalone
11-09-2008, 10:20 PM
With TP and Manu gone until December, that is severly gonna hurt the Spurs in the Wild West.

Lindystud36
11-10-2008, 12:07 AM
trade for eddy curry and steph!!! make it a 3 way with the warriors involved!!!! do work baby

Wilson
11-10-2008, 12:23 AM
trade for eddy curry and steph!!! make it a 3 way with the warriors involved!!!! do work baby

I don't think the Spurs want anything to do with Curry or Steph...

Ansy
11-10-2008, 03:02 AM
Anyone have a bad feeling the Spurs are going to miss the playoffs for the first time in the Duncan era, win the lottery and draft Rubio then go ANOTHER decade as a top team?

JayW_1023
11-10-2008, 08:58 AM
I think we'll still make the playoffs...Manu will be back within the next month...it's not like any of them will miss half the season.

If Duncan goes down, then we're really in trouble...but I'm confident if he stays healthy we can turn it around and still have a winning record by seasons end.

JayW_1023
11-10-2008, 09:05 AM
Why do people keep talking about Duncan's age? Has he not showed enough with him being able to score, that he really isnt declining??? Im not worried about Manu/Duncan's age, its the bench and other role players that are the downfall of this team. Ever since the emergence of TP and Manu, Duncan has sacrificed for the team in term of scoring, but he still can.

However, with TP and Manu being out for the next month at the least, and as tough as the Western Confrence has been.....it is entirely possible for us to miss the playoffs, if we struggle alot.

While pointing out stats is not really my mantra, Duncan is averaging 26 points, 11 rebounds on 55% shooting. Yeah, a REAL decline there :rolleyes:

If this season becomes a failure, it will not be because of the Big Fundamental. Funny that sometimes only statistics seem to convinve some people here.

Fans in Asia
11-10-2008, 09:19 AM
- my take is Spurs standing in the West will be 7th - 10th

- Just consider how many games Spurs will lose in the coming month without Parker and Ginobili? The only help that Tim Duncan gets is Roger Mason.

- Even the Big Three is healthy + Roger Mason, I don't think the current Spurs bench is deep enough to compete with the to-be-1st / 2nd seed in the West

Another Jazz Fans in Asia
http://jazzfansinasia.blogspot.com

Lakerfan8032
11-10-2008, 09:28 AM
To bad for Parker, he was playing great. TD will have to really carry the load, you don't want to dig yourself a serious hole. Remember, the 8th seed last season won 50 games. The Spurs I think won 55. A drop there and it is feasible to think that they would have to have a phenomenal second half of the season to make a push for one of the last spots. Duncan's great though, and as long as they keep their heads above water they should make it in, but I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. The West is tough, and everyones going to relish their chance to take SA down a peg while their hurt.

JordansBulls
11-10-2008, 10:55 AM
I think it is quite obvious the Lakers will get the #1 seed out west this year. Imagine them playing the Spurs in round 1?
It would remind me of the 1998 playoffs where the Jazz played the Rockets in round 1 with their big 3 as the 8th seed.

:speechless:

Joshtd1
11-10-2008, 02:43 PM
Anyone have a bad feeling the Spurs are going to miss the playoffs for the first time in the Duncan era, win the lottery and draft Rubio then go ANOTHER decade as a top team?

I dont know if the Spurs would draft Rubio if they have a #1 pick...unless they are confident that TP will bolt after his contract expired. I would expect them to take Griffin or Mullins...or deal the pick.

However Im hoping neither of that happens, because that would mean we wouldnt make the playoffs:) I must say if that happened though I would laugh.

LA_Raiders
11-10-2008, 02:52 PM
by the time manu comes back, SA is going to be deep in the hole...No POffs for SA this year...

LA
NO
Hou
Jazz
Pho
Den
Dal
Por

LA_Raiders
11-10-2008, 03:06 PM
Why is that? They want to be in the record books for teams with the #1 or #2 seed losing in round 1 to the 7th or 8th seed?

That wouldn't make much sense to me.

No, because we want an easy road to the Finals....

Hater...

jgonboricua
11-10-2008, 04:45 PM

just like when robinson got hurt and the drafted duncan i have a feeling the spurs are going to get a nice pick and come back next year with either a demarr de rozen/bj mullens type player....they wont draft a ricky rubio or brandon jenings because parker still has a good 5-7 years in him

Joshtd1
11-10-2008, 11:48 PM
No, because we want an easy road to the Finals....

Hater...

If the Lakers have to face a healthy Spurs team, with Parker and Manu having more rest then they usually have, it definately wont be an easy road.

Hawkeye15
11-11-2008, 12:13 AM
I dont know if the Spurs would draft Rubio if they have a #1 pick...unless they are confident that TP will bolt after his contract expired. I would expect them to take Griffin or Mullins...or deal the pick.

However Im hoping neither of that happens, because that would mean we wouldnt make the playoffs:) I must say if that happened though I would laugh.

If those mother#######'s luck out and get the #1 again, after falling into the lottery for the first time since Duncan, I am done with basketball. I will tell you that right now. The year they got TD, Robinson sat out 20 games healthy, because they were tanking. If anyone wants to argue me on that, they will lose. I hate the Spurs, they have torched the WOlves forever, and have the best luck ever. Everyone know Ginoboli was a player. But no team could afford to wait 2 years. They could. I respect them more than any sports franchise, but I can't stand them

Joshtd1
11-11-2008, 11:59 AM
If those mother#######'s luck out and get the #1 again, after falling into the lottery for the first time since Duncan, I am done with basketball. I will tell you that right now. The year they got TD, Robinson sat out 20 games healthy, because they were tanking. If anyone wants to argue me on that, they will lose. I hate the Spurs, they have torched the WOlves forever, and have the best luck ever. Everyone know Ginoboli was a player. But no team could afford to wait 2 years. They could. I respect them more than any sports franchise, but I can't stand them

The only way I see us falling into the lottery is if Duncan truly does get injured. Once TP and Manu come back, I believe we will make the playoffs.

J-Relo
11-11-2008, 12:25 PM
well it will be really hard time for Spurs... at least some young guys will have time to prove what they can or can't... I don't think Tim can carry his team only by himself, so better they return back soon...

Hawkeye15
11-11-2008, 02:01 PM
The only way I see us falling into the lottery is if Duncan truly does get injured. Once TP and Manu come back, I believe we will make the playoffs.

I mean no disrespect to the Spurs, but they have crushed the Wolves forever, have the one PF better than my favorite player, and find the lottery one time, and score #1, Duncan. How lucky can one franchise be? If they were to win the #1 again, I am done with basketball. I respect them so much as a team, but if they continue to have the basketball gods smile on them, done.