PDA

View Full Version : What has happened to Shawn Marion?

JordansBulls
11-09-2008, 01:56 AM
The guy used to be a star player in this league. Now all of a sudden he doesn't even put up decent numbers. What happened to him?

I expected Marion to be a great 2nd option to Wade but it isn't the case.

ink
11-09-2008, 01:57 AM
He doesn't play with Nash and Amare anymore.

Joshtd1
11-09-2008, 02:02 AM
^^^^Pretty much sums it up for me.

He was always in a system in which he had to be a rebounder since he was playing PF..and IMO I've always thought his D was overrated. He may be versatile, but he isnt a lockdown type of defender.

LakerzDQ
11-09-2008, 02:03 AM
The guy used to be a star player in this league. Now all of a sudden he doesn't even put up decent numbers. What happened to him?

Age might be catching up to him? or maybe he's having a slow start.

philab
11-09-2008, 02:05 AM

or for D'Antoni . . .

uchiha
11-09-2008, 02:05 AM
1. He broke his nose and for the time being has to wear a ******** mask that he can't see out of.

2. The Heat are working with a brand new offensive system and it really doesn't suit to his strengths.

3. He has been playing outstanding defense, usually on guys bigger than him because of the undersized Heat.

4. By mid-season he will be back to double double form.... go Heat

SAVAGE CLAW
11-09-2008, 02:06 AM
Age + no Nash + No touches (Wade and Beasley) +They only adquired him to get rid of Shaq and to become Trade bait for his expiring value so they dont set plays for him.

mariotubes
11-09-2008, 02:20 AM
its all because of no nash and no run n gun style of play anymore

philab
11-09-2008, 02:26 AM
1. He broke his nose and for the time being has to wear a ******** mask that he can't see out of.

Bogus. Plenty of players have worn the mask without it affecting them.

Sevilla91
11-09-2008, 02:31 AM
you dont run plays for marion, he cant shoot, can do anything cept dunk and get offensive rebound buckets. Great defender and good passer, just wont be the same with out nash and the run and gun system

PhilOfTheFuture
11-09-2008, 02:54 AM
Ahem its the quentin richardson effect... This is what happens when you lose steve nash.

$KnicksAndKobe$
11-09-2008, 02:55 AM
He doesn't have Amare and Nash, or the Steph (the good one) and Amare ...

And he is too old

lakerboy
11-09-2008, 02:59 AM
He's older, and no more run and gun.

Jonathan2323
11-09-2008, 03:05 AM
Marion will be good.he started showing signs tonight and then he got hurt.

DwAyNe_WaDe
11-09-2008, 03:42 AM
I dont see why just because someone isnt putting up alot of numbers that the player isnt good anymore. Shawn Marion has had so many deflections on the defensive end and he probably the most agressive PF defender in the league.

ramsizzle
11-09-2008, 04:02 AM
all of you guys are dumb, it has nothing to do with nash...he was an allstar without him...hes just old.

king4day
11-09-2008, 04:06 AM

Exactly.
He's just in the wrong system right now. Sadly for him, this will severly hurt any hopes of getting a contract over 10mil a year.

Lakersfan2483
11-09-2008, 04:37 AM

He's in a different system in Miami, his touches have been limited and he's a player that plays better with a great point guard. He likes to get out in transition and score early in the offense. They had a different system in Phx that fit his style more.

PhilOfTheFuture
11-09-2008, 04:37 AM
all of you guys are dumb, it has nothing to do with nash...he was an allstar without him...hes just old.

He is 30... How the hell is that old... He has had 9 years pro... You should not call people dumb when making such an arrogant and moronic post... He was a Phoenix sun like 7 months ago and he was playing great... So unless he ages like a dog you cant become old in a 7th month span. Like I said in my previous post... its not a coincidence that Richardson and Marion both traded away are showing they were products of that offense and Steve Nash... Just ask newly rejuvenated shaq or grant hill how good life is when playing with a Steve Nash and amare.

JJ81
11-09-2008, 04:44 AM
I'd welcome him to Lakers if we do let Lamar go.

Lakersfan2483
11-09-2008, 04:46 AM
I'd welcome him to Lakers if we do let Lamar go.

Most definitely

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-09-2008, 05:06 AM
I think it's cuz Wade is finally healthy, so he's gettin the majority of the touches... and then unlike Marion, Mike Beasley can create his own shot. That's just my opinion.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-09-2008, 05:08 AM
And people who are saying that age is playing a factor... your crazy. Look at AI. He's older than Marion and is still goin hard. Same with Tim Duncan, KG and a few others

Mallpha
11-09-2008, 05:21 AM

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap:

Any one who says your old when you are 30 must be insain.

Yogi
11-09-2008, 05:43 AM
Not on the Suns anymore.

$ NyC $
11-09-2008, 07:14 AM
System just doesn't match him. I was expecting him to put up maybe 21 ppg 10 rpg 2 apg 2 spg 1.4 bpg

Tom81
11-09-2008, 08:25 AM

amen

NfldRaptorsFan
11-09-2008, 09:12 AM
Marion doesn't have nash throwing him the ball.
He was overrated. the same as k'mart without kidd.(remember how good he was with kidd)
and i bet any $$$ the same will go for tyson chandler without chris paul.

mitch91
11-09-2008, 09:24 AM
He is 30... How the hell is that old... He has had 9 years pro... You should not call people dumb when making such an arrogant and moronic post... He was a Phoenix sun like 7 months ago and he was playing great... So unless he ages like a dog you cant become old in a 7th month span. Like I said in my previous post... its not a coincidence that Richardson and Marion both traded away are showing they were products of that offense and Steve Nash... Just ask newly rejuvenated shaq or grant hill how good life is when playing with a Steve Nash and amare.

that is a great point!!
and can i just go off the record please and say that the numbers shaq and hill put uo with nash shows just how good he really is. and the fact that he made shawn marion and q-rich

b_rad23
11-09-2008, 09:26 AM

Beasley is a better 2nd option and he's *****ed about the mask so at least give him time before we make judgements on the guy.

Age might be catching up to him? or maybe he's having a slow start.

I think it's the latter.

2. The Heat are working with a brand new offensive system and it really doesn't suit to his strengths.

3. He has been playing outstanding defense, usually on guys bigger than him because of the undersized Heat.

4. By mid-season he will be back to double double form.... go Heat

Yup. He has been good finishing on the fast breaks but he really doesn't get touches on the offensive end. It's not him really. The Heat are still working on their identity and I think you'll see a much clearer supporting role out of Marion.

While I agree for the most part, he made comments about how annoying it was. He has little or no peripheral vision. At least wait untill it's off to make final judgements.

I'll tap Grant on the shoulder from the bench.

Marion doesn't have nash throwing him the ball.
He was overrated. the same as k'mart without kidd.(remember how good he was with kidd)
and i bet any $$$ the same will go for tyson chandler without chris paul.

He was an all star before Nash. It's a common misconception but it doesn't work.

codes238
11-09-2008, 09:43 AM
anyone who thinks the answer to this question is anything besides nash/d'antoni is pretty much ********... shawn marion was always slightly overrated in my mind, i dont see him as much more than a gerald wallace/josh smith type of player but maybe thats just me...

its also kind of hard to feel bad for this guy. i mean he was making max money, making the all-star team every year, playing deep in the postseason and playing with the best point guard of his generation and he still felt unhappy and underappreciated... miami is my second favorite team but as far as marion goes, he can go screw himself!

JayW_1023
11-09-2008, 09:45 AM
The Heat play more half court offense, which means they'll have less possessions per game than those Suns did before the trade. Plus the fact that Marion isn't really as good creating his own shot as he thinks.

BALLER71
11-09-2008, 10:37 AM
He really hates it :shrug:

He's older, and no more run and gun.
There is run and gun in the Heat offense.

System just doesn't match him. I was expecting him to put up maybe 21 ppg 10 rpg 2 apg 2 spg 1.4 bpg

You are high.
Shawn Marion is overrated. Product of a system.
However defensively, he's still there.

superkegger
11-09-2008, 10:39 AM

or for D'Antoni . . .

pretty much sums it up.

Mr.ATLHawks
11-09-2008, 10:48 AM
C'mon Heat fans Shawn Marion is a an overpaid bum. He is a glorified Josh Childress Dennis Rodman type making 17 mill a year. This cat never has had the skill set on offense. Same fools trying to trade Shawn Marion for Josh Smith in the off season talking about it would be an even trade look at you now. Im sure you would love to have Josh Smith next to Beasley, Wade and Chalmers. But back on topic MARION WAS PRODUCT OF D'ANTONIS SYSTEM. He could fly up and down the court b/c they were taking fast break 3 pointers which means alot of long rebounds and alot of slashing buckets to the hole. Marion is a solid all around player but he isnt worth 17 million, not to the Heat at least.

HiphopRelated
11-09-2008, 10:54 AM
I don't know why people expected him to be the 2nd option with Beasley on the team

HiphopRelated
11-09-2008, 11:03 AM
C'mon Heat fans Shawn Marion is a an overpaid bum. He is a glorified Josh Childress Dennis Rodman type making 17 mill a year. This cat never has had the skill set on offense. Same fools trying to trade Shawn Marion for Josh Smith in the off season talking about it would be an even trade look at you now. Im sure you would love to have Josh Smith next to Beasley, Wade and Chalmers. But back on topic MARION WAS PRODUCT OF D'ANTONIS SYSTEM. He could fly up and down the court b/c they were taking fast break 3 pointers which means alot of long rebounds and alot of slashing buckets to the hole. Marion is a solid all around player but he isnt worth 17 million, not to the Heat at least.

except he was an allstar BEFORE D'Antoni.

Nash is putting up 14/8...that's pre D'Antoni numbers.

BALLER71
11-09-2008, 11:24 AM
I don't know why people expected him to be the 2nd option with Beasley on the team

:nod:

KB24PG16
11-09-2008, 11:37 AM
he doesnt get his open shots and his dunks that he got from nash
nash makes boris diaw look good so this doesnt surprise me

Hawkeye15
11-09-2008, 12:10 PM
Exactly what I have always said. Players who live off their athletic ability, and don't have any basketball skill per say, decline sharply when they get into their 30's. He is not a good shooter, ball handler, or passer. He has lived off freakish athletic ability his whole career. Playing in a slow half court offense does nothing to utilize him either. Expect Marion's double double days to be gone for good at this point. He is still a good defender, but is no more than a 3rd option at best on a decent team

40oz
11-09-2008, 07:52 PM
wow, there are alot of ignorate posts here...He was putting up numbers up in 4 catagories when Coach M.D. was in Italy and Nash was a Mav...Most players numbers go down when they're on a team that doesnt want them also. Suns did it to him couple summers ago and Heat did this year.

Kaptain Kanada
11-09-2008, 08:05 PM
No Steve Nash = No big numbers.

run4sun1988
11-10-2008, 02:27 AM
I blame the miami night clubs.