PDA

View Full Version : Jordan to buy Bobcats?

superkegger
11-08-2008, 03:23 PM
Source: Yahoo!Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-bobcats-jordan&prov=ap&type=lgns)

CHARLOTTE, N.C. (AP)—Charlotte Bobcats part-owner Michael Jordan wants the team all to himself.

Jordan told The Charlotte Observer on Friday that he would be interested in taking control of the Bobcats from majority owner Bob Johnson if and when he decided to sell the team.

“When Bob wants to step aside, I have no problem stepping in and saying, ‘Hey, look, I’d love to take control of this franchise,”’ Jordan said in a story on the newspaper’s Web site. “But Bob, he’s not at that point now. He still enjoys owning the basketball team.”

Jordan bought a minority stake in the Bobcats in 2006 and Johnson gave him total control over the team’s basketball operations.

The fifth-year franchise has never made the playoffs and Johnson has acknowledged losing millions on the team, which has struggled to draw fans. Johnson, the first black majority owner of a major professional sports team, told The Associated Press last month that he was not interested in selling the team.

I don't know what MJ is thinking. He has been terrible as an executive, why are there not people in his ear telling him this is a bad idea. Best player ever, but one of the worst gm's ever. Fool man just can't let go.

Hellcrooner
11-08-2008, 03:26 PM
he never backed down from a challenge he is not going to back down now.

Thats what leaded him to greatness.

I think he should go down to help the team by Playing , hey he does not have a 6th man of the year award, that could complete his collection , and leading them to the playoffs for a first time would let him retire on a better note thatn the one he got in was.

DreamShaker
11-08-2008, 03:26 PM
He still has time to turn it around....not all GM's are great right away....

homestarunner93
11-08-2008, 03:40 PM
If he buys the team, please take him out of the GM role. Surely there must be more important stuff to do for a majority owner, right? :D Seriously, MJ could become basketball's Al Davis is someone doesn't stop him quickly.

superkegger
11-08-2008, 03:41 PM
He still has time to turn it around....not all GM's are great right away....

true, but this is his second go round, and hes been there for a couple years with nothing to show for it but low fan attendance and a team that underachieves...

LAKERS 24/7
11-08-2008, 03:45 PM
two words: kwame brown

NYMetros
11-08-2008, 03:49 PM
two words: kwame brown

He's not the only guy to ever miss on a draft pick.

This would be great for the Bobcats IMO. He already has them going in the right direction too.

DreamShaker
11-08-2008, 03:54 PM
true, but this is his second go round, and hes been there for a couple years with nothing to show for it but low fan attendance and a team that underachieves...

Well I think more than anything the Bobcats the draft has been the killer....and MJ needs to hire better scouts and form a better brain-trust for the draft...they have yet to draft anybody who is a difference maker in the draft despite being horrible for the past 4 years....

superkegger
11-08-2008, 04:00 PM
Well I think more than anything the Bobcats the draft has been the killer....and MJ needs to hire better scouts and form a better brain-trust for the draft...they have yet to draft anybody who is a difference maker in the draft despite being horrible for the past 4 years....

but thats the point. Kwame is forgiveable, and I'll just forget the whole wizards thing in general. but he has failed in charlotte, he's got control and hes calling the shots, and they're not working. if he buys the team and is majority owner, he can't get fired, and then I see charolotte headed for the doldrums for some time.

scrumptiousduck
11-08-2008, 04:06 PM
good move

ink
11-08-2008, 04:11 PM
but thats the point. Kwame is forgiveable, and I'll just forget the whole wizards thing in general. but he has failed in charlotte, he's got control and hes calling the shots, and they're not working. if he buys the team and is majority owner, he can't get fired, and then I see charolotte headed for the doldrums for some time.

Couldn't agree more. MJ isn't doing his reputation any good with his post-Bulls years. It's like Gretzky as an NHL coach. Problem is, these guys are too proud to quit, and too famous to fire.

superkegger
11-08-2008, 04:19 PM
Couldn't agree more. MJ isn't doing his reputation any good with his post-Bulls years. It's like Gretzky as an NHL coach. Problem is, these guys are too proud to quit, and too famous to fire.

There are so many other ways Jordan could stay in the limelight. We see it time and time again, the greatest players (with the exception of Jerry West) don't make the greatest execs. I understand they're too proud and too fierce of competitor's to quit, but damn, there's a huge difference between being a great player on a great team and helping them win, and building a great team. This just frustrates me, cause while Jordan has a great basketball mind when he was on the court, I would not call him a great basketball mind when it comes to constructing a team, not even close.

ink
11-08-2008, 04:23 PM
There are so many other ways Jordan could stay in the limelight. We see it time and time again, the greatest players (with the exception of Jerry West) don't make the greatest execs. I understand they're too proud and too fierce of competitor's to quit, but damn, there's a huge difference between being a great player on a great team and helping them win, and building a great team. This just frustrates me, cause while Jordan has a great basketball mind when he was on the court, I would not call him a great basketball mind when it comes to constructing a team, not even close.

Yeah, look at Magic and Kareem, and Russell. Those players still have the highest esteem because they haven't tarnished their reputations. MJ doesn't want to be another Elgin Baylor does he? One of the greats who just didn't have it in an administrative role. Sad thing about Baylor is that most people don't even know him as a player. They just know him as someone who failed with the Clippers. Sadly, for people that didn't see MJ play, he could be going the same route.

superkegger
11-08-2008, 04:29 PM
Yeah, look at Magic and Kareem, and Russell. Those players still have the highest esteem because they haven't tarnished their reputations. MJ doesn't want to be another Elgin Baylor does he? One of the greats who just didn't have it in an administrative role. Sad thing about Baylor is that most people don't even know him as a player. They just know him as someone who failed with the Clippers. Sadly, for people that didn't see MJ play, he could be going the same route.

Very true, I don't know how baylor held his job as long as he did. and if MJ ends up buying a majority stake, he can't get fired, which, if things continue like they have, will be very bad for his rep.

SAVAGE CLAW
11-08-2008, 10:22 PM
Mj will never be forgotten, David Stern , espn, EA and Nike will never allow us to.

MGB
11-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Nothing MJ ever does or can do as a bad executive could ever tarnish his legacy as the best player of all time... he's NEVER had a reputation as a good guy, so it's not like this is some new phenomenon of MJeff being bad at something not involving playing basketball.

I grew up watching him through all those years, and he's my favorite player of all time, but I wouldn't trust him to babysit my cat without trying to get with my chick or gamble away my money... Of course, a bit of an exageration, but you get the point right?

ink
11-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Nothing MJ ever does or can do as a bad executive could ever tarnish his legacy as the best player of all time... he's NEVER had a reputation as a good guy, so it's not like this is some new phenomenon of MJeff being bad at something not involving playing basketball.

I grew up watching him through all those years, and he's my favorite player of all time, but I wouldn't trust him to babysit my cat without trying to get with my chick or gamble away my money... Of course, a bit of an exageration, but you get the point right?

:laugh2:

I know what you mean. But he is really baaad as an exec. He needs to stop that, not buy the team.

Sport
11-08-2008, 10:44 PM
:laugh2:

I know what you mean. But he is really baaad as an exec. He needs to stop that, not buy the team.

I agree, I dont like players going out of their element and trying to do something they arent good at.

If he bought the team and than hired a GM and had nothing to do with personell moves, than ok.

But I think he will try to make all the decisions.

And look what happened to Isiah Thomas? The guy is a laughing stock of basketball right now.

Same with Kevin Mchale.

It wont ruin his player image, because lets face it, as much as i hate the bulls, the guy was a phenom.

I think it would be in his best interest tostay out of the GM role.

ink
11-08-2008, 10:53 PM
I agree, I dont like players going out of their element and trying to do something they arent good at.

If he bought the team and than hired a GM and had nothing to do with personell moves, than ok.

But I think he will try to make all the decisions.

And look what happened to Isiah Thomas? The guy is a laughing stock of basketball right now.

Same with Kevin Mchale.

It wont ruin his player image, because lets face it, as much as i hate the bulls, the guy was a phenom.

I think it would be in his best interest tostay out of the GM role.

McHale and Isiah are good examples. Both of them are ridiculed now. That's just sad. They are all-time greats but a whole generation only knows about them as jokes.

SAVAGE CLAW
11-08-2008, 11:14 PM
mmm may there be a proportion about how good you are as a player and how bad are you as a manager?

Jordan was the best player amonst current Gms and is worst of them.

Pritchard was HORRIBLE and did most of hsi career in Spain when Spanish league was worst than NCAAII .

Mm it requires Brains to be a GM....

To be a Great player you have to be borderline?.......

Joking.

Sport
11-08-2008, 11:17 PM
McHale and Isiah are good examples. Both of them are ridiculed now. That's just sad. They are all-time greats but a whole generation only knows about them as jokes.

Thats true, older guys can respect Thomas and Mchale because of the careers they had and they dont let their GM debacles cloud their playing days, but for the younger guys, all they see is what theyre doing now and making fools of themselves.

I still think Isiah and Mchale were hella good basketball players, so for me it doesnt take away what they did.

SAVAGE CLAW
11-08-2008, 11:21 PM
Younger dudes are just Victims of to many comertials, mtv and corporative cops that lobotomize them, leave them poor kids alone.

Sport
11-08-2008, 11:23 PM
Younger dudes are just Victims of to many comertials, mtv and corporative cops that lobotomize them, leave them poor kids alone.

Sorry I didnt mean to offend your friends.

ink
11-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Thats true, older guys can respect Thomas and Mchale because of the careers they had and they dont let their GM debacles cloud their playing days, but for the younger guys, all they see is what theyre doing now and making fools of themselves.

I still think Isiah and Mchale were hella good basketball players, so for me it doesnt take away what they did.

Isiah and McHale were unbelievable players. :clap: I've only really seen them on ESPN classics but there's no doubt about how good they were. As execs. ... er, not so much.

SAVAGE CLAW
11-08-2008, 11:46 PM
Sorry I didnt mean to offend your friends.

In fact i was just digging in the Wound :horse:

Sport
11-08-2008, 11:49 PM
Isiah and McHale were unbelievable players. :clap: I've only really seen them on ESPN classics but there's no doubt about how good they were. As execs. ... er, not so much.

Yeah im 20 and alot of what i see is on ESPN classic as well, I do have 40 year old brothers, so they kinda fill me in.

But yeah even tho im younger, Im not oblivious to what kind of players they were.

JordansBulls
11-09-2008, 01:11 AM
Source: Yahoo!Sports (http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ap-bobcats-jordan&prov=ap&type=lgns)

I don't know what MJ is thinking. He has been terrible as an executive, why are there not people in his ear telling him this is a bad idea. Best player ever, but one of the worst gm's ever. Fool man just can't let go.

Only thing that can save him as a GM is if he can lure Lebron their as a free agent.

SAVAGE CLAW
11-09-2008, 01:19 AM
^Jordan would UNDER no circumstances bring to his team the player that is suppossed to stand a chance of succeeding him as Goat.

Unless... he signed him to bench him forever....