PDA

View Full Version : Best NBA City for Making NBA Players

NBAThyme
11-08-2008, 08:08 AM
Here is a pretty interesting analysis of what city has produced the most current NBA players and what city produces the most per capita. Not to spoil the article, but the surprise winner for which city provides the most per capita: New Orleans.

Here is the link to the article (http://www.portlandtrailbloggers.com/archives/1270/want-your-kid-in-the-nba-consider-moving/)

Yogi
11-08-2008, 08:57 AM
I still wouldn't go to New Orleans.

OY!
11-08-2008, 09:07 AM
i thought new york would be the top? lots of players in the nba are from New york.

cardinals1226
11-08-2008, 09:25 AM
No mention of Indianapolis? Did the writer forget there are currently 8 players in the NBA from high schools in a 10 mile radius? Eric Gordon, Greg Oden, Courtney Lee, Mike Conley, Josh McRoberts, Rodney Carney, Andre Owens, Alan Henderson. What about NBA great Oscar Robertson, George McGinnis, and current Atlanta Hawks coach Mike Woodson? They were all born and went to high school in Indianapolis. A poorly written article.

Brew Crew
11-08-2008, 09:37 AM
Damn I had no idea we'd be in there...But trust me, knowing where Milwaukee's inner city growth is at this point, I'm thinking there's going to be a little more.

5) Milwaukee (1 NBA player per 120400 people)

These are the only guys I could come up with..

Caron Butler
Latrell Sprewell
Nick Van Exel
Devon Harris

I know I'm missing some

rico
11-08-2008, 10:06 AM
chicago baby #1 wuuuttttttttt

$ NyC $
11-08-2008, 10:26 AM
That's wrong. I can already name 5 NBA players from NY

Telfair,marbury,odom,Smush Parker, Cuttino Mobley

SDDodger
11-08-2008, 10:35 AM
Sacramento has at least 3 also, Matt Barnes, Demarcus Nelson, and Ryan Anderson

Flash812
11-08-2008, 02:39 PM
I still wouldn't go to New Orleans.

Stop being a hater. N.O. is probably not your type of city but it is one of the most unique in the united states, great history and culture. The New Orleans metro area is so full of talent for Basketball and Football it is ridiculous and actually the article doesn't even count the suburbs. There are tons of college players right now from N.O. as well which will make it to the pro leagues. All these players were born and raised here anyway, no need to move here to be successful.

superkegger
11-08-2008, 03:00 PM
Damn I had no idea we'd be in there...But trust me, knowing where Milwaukee's inner city growth is at this point, I'm thinking there's going to be a little more.

These are the only guys I could come up with..

Caron Butler
Latrell Sprewell
Nick Van Exel
Devon Harris

I know I'm missing some

But see, Nick Van Exel isn't from Milwaukee, he's from Kenosha, which is a county away, and can't even be considered Milwaukee at all. Caron is from Racine, which is just south of Milwaukee, but still not Milwaukee or even the Milwaukee metro area.

Now I don't know for sure, but I'm assuming it's the same way or a lot of guys, they're from a general area, but not from the actual city but the Metro area of that city.

DerekRE_3
11-08-2008, 03:43 PM
The article says there is only 1 NBA player in Sacramento. That's not true...

DeMarcus Nelson: Went to high school in Sacramento, Sheldon High
Matt Barnes: Played high school ball in Sac.
I don't think Ryan Anderson actually played in Sac, but he was pretty close to the city.

I count 2.

superkegger
11-08-2008, 03:48 PM
The article says there is only 1 NBA player in Sacramento. That's not true...

DeMarcus Nelson: Went to high school in Sacramento, Sheldon High
Matt Barnes: Played high school ball in Sac.
I don't think Ryan Anderson actually played in Sac, but he was pretty close to the city.

I count 2.

I think he was going by where players were born, maybe not.

Either way though its a poor blog.

G-Funk
11-08-2008, 03:54 PM
delete

MiamiHeat
11-08-2008, 04:01 PM
NY : Michael Jordan :)

G-Funk
11-08-2008, 04:05 PM
Los Angeles:P. Pierce, T. Prince, B. Davis, T. Chandler, J. Farmar, Kile Korver.

superkegger
11-08-2008, 04:10 PM
Los Angeles:P. Pierce, T. Prince, B. Davis, T. Chandler, J. Farmar, Kile Korver.

Yeah, Korver was born in Cali, but grew up in Pella Iowa.

scrumptiousduck
11-08-2008, 04:18 PM

PAUL PEIRCE!! he is not an LA citizen after his comments

SDDodger
11-08-2008, 09:37 PM
Ryan Anderson played at Oak Ridge which is pretty much in Sac. Just outside the city limits I guess.

Rockets Fanatic
11-09-2008, 12:40 AM
Houston:
Emeka Okafor
Daniel Gibson
TJ Ford
John Lucas Jr

Thats all I can think of

dre1990
11-09-2008, 12:58 AM
La

Seattlesports
11-09-2008, 01:46 AM
Not saying Sea town is the best but we have some dam good players coming out of the 206.went to school with 2 of the guys

1.B Roy
2.Nate Rob
3.martell webster
4.spencer hawes
5.marvin williams

Leftcoast_yg
11-09-2008, 01:52 AM

you forgot; gilbert arenas, trevor ariza, nick young, richard jefferson, Josh childress(even though he's not in the nba right now, he will be after his contract) Edit: Amir Johnson and Rafer Alston are from L.A. too

wow imagine a line up of just L.A. boys.....

PGBaron Davis/Jordan farmar/Rafer Alston
SGGilbert Arenas/nick young/kyle korver
SFPaul Pierce/Richard jefferson
PFtayshaun prince/Trevor ariza
C-Tyson handler/Amir Johnson
that team can contend:)

blueNorange
11-09-2008, 02:04 AM
And two NBA cities with no NBA players:

- Charlotte

- New Jersey (Jersey City)
al harrington, troy murphy, and shaquille o'neal were born in new jersey

lol this blog fails

Flash812
11-09-2008, 01:19 PM
al harrington, troy murphy, and shaquille o'neal were born in new jersey

lol this blog fails

They are talking about being brought up in the same exact city limits as the NBA teams are in. If they were raised right outside in a suburb it doesn't count in this blog which I find to be about the most stupid thing in the article, they should include the metro area of the cities.

bogdanrom
11-09-2008, 01:39 PM
Kevin Durant, Jeff Green, Rudy Gay, and Michael Beasley played in the DC area. And Reston, a city in northern Virginia has produced two NBA players, Grant Hill and Michael Jackson(both went to South Lakes High School) and a third who has a chance to make in the NBA Scottie Reynolds.