PDA

View Full Version : How much trouble are the Spurs really in?

theimortalone
11-08-2008, 04:44 AM
Is it time to push the Panic Mode button yet? They have Manu out to begin with, now tonight they lose Tony Parker for 2 weeks. They are going to be playing the next two weeks w/o there star PG Tony Parker. How many more games will SA lose in the span that TP is gone? Tim Duncan can not win with this team on his own. Here is there remaining schedule for November:
*Games in bold are games they could possibly lose*
Tue, Nov 11 New York @ San Antonio
Wed, Nov 12 San Antonio @ Milwaukee
Fri, Nov 14 Houston @ San Antonio
Sun, Nov 16 San Antonio @ Sacramento
Mon, Nov 17 San Antonio @ L.A. Clippers
Wed, Nov 19 Denver @ San Antonio
Fri, Nov 21 Utah @ San Antonio
Mon, Nov 24 San Antonio @ Memphis
Wed, Nov 26 Chicago @ San Antonio
Fri, Nov 28 Memphis @ San Antonio
Sat, Nov 29 San Antonio @ Houston
What do you guys think? I believe that by the end of November SA will be 6-10 at the end of November. They need Tony Parker back ASAP.

S.J.Basketball
11-08-2008, 04:47 AM
I actually feel sorry for Tim. TP and Duncan are producing ALLLLLLLL the points man. Finley is looking HORRIBLE! Is Oberto even back yet?

Well when you're missing 3 out of 5 starters it tends to make a team SUCK! Spurs need to get healthy fast because the question has already been answered. They ARE in trouble. The heat destroyed them and wasn't the Spurs only win in a double overtime where TP played the game of his life?

theimortalone
11-08-2008, 04:49 AM
I actually feel sorry for Tim. TP and Duncan are producing ALLLLLLLL the points man. Finley is looking HORRIBLE! Is Oberto even back yet?

Well when you're missing 3 out of 5 starters it tends to make a team SUCK! Spurs need to get healthy fast because the question has already been answered. They ARE in trouble. The heat destroyed them and wasn't the Spurs only win in a double overtime where TP played the game of his life?

You are right, that game they won was also against Freaking Minny. Minny took them to 2OT. TP playing the game of his life is what saved SA in that game.

LAKERS 24/7
11-08-2008, 04:51 AM
I honestly don't think they'll win as many games as you say they are. Without Ginobli, Parker had to score 55 in 2OT against the wolves to get a win. Without him, I don't know how they'll win a game. Duncan is going to have to play wilt like for them to win.

rico
11-08-2008, 05:02 AM
i guess they should just... send duncan to the bulls for some young guys? :shrug:

hehe ;p

theimortalone
11-08-2008, 05:04 AM
haha you can only wish Rico :)

Duncan = Donkey
11-08-2008, 05:53 AM
there in serouis trouble, there offense looked terrible as soon as parker left the game. When Duncan goes out for his rest who is going to score for them, they dont have anyone who can put the ball on the floor and create there own shot. Against the Heat they just settled for contested jump shots and 3 point shots, although towards the end of the game they were getting alot of open 3's. I think Roger Mason has to step up and be the man who scores along with Duncan.

Duncan = Donkey
11-08-2008, 05:54 AM
i do love that the spurs are suffering though

Ansy
11-08-2008, 06:16 AM
They're suffering pretty badly defensively. Bowen is barely a shell of what he used to be and Ginobli was their second best perimeter defender (and a top 20 perimeter defender leaguewide, probably). Before they could lock down your best wing with Bowen and have Ginobli troll those passing lanes for steals (without gambling much and while still doing a great job on his own guy). Now, they're leaking like a freaking sieve on the perimeter. It's really sad considering how incredible they used to be.

JJ81
11-08-2008, 06:50 AM
Clippers and Grizzlies will be hard to win for them too.

amare#1
11-08-2008, 07:48 AM
I think they are in a lot of trouble right now, and I am loving it to be honest.

snickers
11-08-2008, 08:18 AM
i think bye season end there gonna be fighting for a playoff spot.

JordansBulls
11-08-2008, 11:10 AM
whomever is the #1 seed or #2 seed better watch out because they wouldn't want to play the Spurs in round 1 once all 3 guys are healthy.

SouljahPhil...
11-08-2008, 11:15 AM
whomever is the #1 seed or #2 seed better watch out because they wouldn't want to play the Spurs in round 1 once all 3 guys are healthy.

I think LA.,houston or NO can handle them..but it will be a long series...

jimbobjarree
11-08-2008, 12:01 PM
its a shame...looks like we've seen the last of this team at its best, when TP and Manu come back they will definatly be in the playoffs...but this is an eye opener for them showing them how bad their team is when those guys are taken away....lets see how fast they can rebuild

rrude
11-08-2008, 12:04 PM
when everyone's healthy and the big three are eating up a lot of mins they will look a lot better.

But they have no assets to make deals or do anything to improve the team.

How bad do they regret letting Scola go for nothing?

Rare mismanagement for them and suddenly they look a lot closer to mediocrity.

MiamiHeat
11-08-2008, 12:06 PM
i guess they should just... send duncan to the bulls for some young guys? :shrug:

hehe ;p

no

The Heat :)

Wade
Beasley
Duncan

:drool:

29$JerZ
11-08-2008, 12:10 PM
NewYork would be a better place :D

Nate
Jamal
Wilson
Zach
Tim

GrkGawdofWalkz
11-08-2008, 12:24 PM
there in serouis trouble, there offense looked terrible as soon as parker left the game. When Duncan goes out for his rest who is going to score for them, they dont have anyone who can put the ball on the floor and create there own shot. Against the Heat they just settled for contested jump shots and 3 point shots, although towards the end of the game they were getting alot of open 3's. I think Roger Mason has to step up and be the man who scores along with Duncan.

This is going to be a long season, but with Duncan in the middle there is hope. The team has it's troubles here and there, and when all three are back and healthy in time for the playoffs we will be ready. There is some need to get younger, and Mason has done his best in spots. Time will tell but I'm not panicking yet. It's 5 games out of 82.

GrkGawdofWalkz
11-08-2008, 12:25 PM
no

The Heat :)

Wade
Beasley
Duncan

:drool:

Duncan would never be traded. And if he was it would take Wade and something coming back. Duncan is one of the best big men in the league still at 32. Nice pipedream. lol

GrkGawdofWalkz
11-08-2008, 12:26 PM
NewYork would be a better place :D

Nate
Jamal
Wilson
Zach
Tim

As for this, the Knicks have nothing on their team that would come back to get Timmy. There's not even one main stay player on the entire roster.

b_rad23
11-08-2008, 01:02 PM
Duncan would never be traded. And if he was it would take Wade and something coming back. Duncan is one of the best big men in the league still at 32. Nice pipedream. lol

Very off base. There would have to be more than Duncan coming for a younger, better player in D-Wade. Back to the real point though. They really are in trouble. That's what happens when you don't do the best drafting. Parker and Ginobli we're really the only playmakers on the team. The rest of the team is made of role players and D-leaguers. We're seeing the downfall of the Spurs begin.

DrDEADalready
11-08-2008, 01:14 PM
Yeah. it def sucks. bad start. but can't ever underestimate this team.

Jay22Redd
11-08-2008, 01:16 PM
I honestly don't think they'll win as many games as you say they are. Without Ginobli, Parker had to score 55 in 2OT against the wolves to get a win. Without him, I don't know how they'll win a game. Duncan is going to have to play wilt like for them to win.

I agree. No Manu or TP, they're in deep trouble. Only team they might beat in the next two weeks is sacramento.

MiamiHeat
11-08-2008, 01:18 PM

hold your panties
I know that would never happen
but that would be a scary lineup :cool:

_Sn1P3r_
11-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Yeah. it def sucks. bad start. but can't ever underestimate this team.

True say. They'll bounce back come end of season-beginning of playoffs.

mitch91
11-08-2008, 01:31 PM
6-10 by the end of novemeber?? that would be good for them imo as they have three stars missing. of course they are in trouble now but when they get manu and tp back they will start wining again. and i believe a great point was made in the fact that whoever is one two or three in the west have to watch out for the spurs in the playoffs. how many wins did the nugs get last year and they were the 8th seed? 50 or so? can the spurs win 50?

Joshtd1
11-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Obviously its going to be very tough with the loss of TP now...however this gives our rookie George Hill a chance to play bog starter mins, and show what he is made of.

If we can just stay somewhat afloat and not fall a super big amount, once all 3 are healthy, we will have a good shot to make the playoffs. And as JB said up there, if all of our guys are healty, not alot of team are going to want to see us in the first round.

MTar786
11-09-2008, 03:11 AM
if bobcats were smart theyd trade wallace, okafor and a 1st (which is gna be low) for him.. sounds fair. makes SA good defensively n gives them youth.

then they trade felton a 2nd and nazr mo for vince if they can pull it off.

augustin
carter
morrison
may
duncan

i think sumin to that effect

Duncan = Donkey
11-09-2008, 03:20 AM
if bobcats were smart theyd trade wallace, okafor and a 1st (which is gna be low) for him.. sounds fair. makes SA good defensively n gives them youth.

augustin
carter
morrison
may
duncan

u seriuos?? why wuld the bobcats do that??

theimortalone
11-09-2008, 03:24 AM

I agree with you 100% JordansBulls. The spurs are a team who are capable of knocking out the #1 or #2 seed.

Sox Appeal
11-09-2008, 03:24 AM

augustin
carter
morrison
may
duncan

I honestly hope your joking with both of these trades. First off all, the Wallace/Okafor and a 1st for Duncan trade would NEVER work cap wise, so it isn't even worth discussing. And the Bobcats first round pick could end up being in the top 5, depending on how the draft lottery shakes out. And the second trade, Felton and Nazr for VC? Why on EARTH would the Nets want to make this trade. The Nets have Brook Lopez and Josh Boone who are both younger, and MUCH better Centers then then Nazar, and Raymond Felton would never work on the Nets because they already have Devin Harris who is their PG of the future. And I saw you have Sean May in the Bobcats starting rotation. I'm guessing you didn't see Larry Brown said he wasn't going to play him until he gets in "basketball shape", and that could take awhile, a VERY long while.

JJ81
11-09-2008, 03:27 AM
Clippers have gotten it together enough to beat Spurs.

Memphis should win, they're pretty good thus far.

Milwaukee aren't bad, I think they'll win.

JJ81
11-09-2008, 03:28 AM
I agree with you 100% JordansBulls. The spurs are a team who are capable of knocking out the #1 or #2 seed.

Even with a healthy team I can't see them beating Lakers/Houston in a 7 game series.

DwAyNe_WaDe
11-09-2008, 03:30 AM
I honestly hope your joking with both of these trades. First off all, the Wallace/Okafor and a 1st for Duncan trade would NEVER work cap wise, so it isn't even worth discussing. And the Bobcats first round pick could end up being in the top 5, depending on how the draft lottery shakes out. And the second trade, Felton and Nazr for VC? Why on EARTH would the Nets want to make this trade. The Nets have Brook Lopez and Josh Boone who are both younger, and MUCH better Centers then then Nazar, and Raymond Felton would never work on the Nets because they already have Devin Harris who is their PG of the future. And I saw you have Sean May in the Bobcats starting rotation. I'm guessing you didn't see Larry Brown said he wasn't going to play him until he gets in "basketball shape", and that could take awhile, a VERY long while.

Yeah, it would never happen because trading two youngs stars and a 1st round pick for an old center who has maybe 3 years left, would be a stupid decision

king4day
11-09-2008, 04:13 AM
I don't think their season is over by any stretch but I think at seasons end, if the Spurs really wanna build for the future, they should deal off Duncan. He's gotten them plenty of rings and at this stage, they could command 2 or 3 first rounders on top of a star player that they can build around.

lakers4sho
11-09-2008, 04:45 AM
If I were them I would deal Duncan while his value is still high. Probably trade him for a prototype Duncan and a prototype Ginobili.

I think I know of some team that has those kinds of players. But it'll be quite a risk.

bothfeef
11-09-2008, 08:32 AM
This is how much trouble they are in:

Tim Duncan $20,598,704 $22,183,220 $18,700,000 $21,300,000 N/A N/A
Tony Parker $11,550,000 $12,600,000 $13,650,000 N/A N/A N/A
Manu Ginobili $9,905,248 $10,728,130 N/A N/A N/A N/A
Kurt Thomas $4,200,000 $3,800,000 N/A N/A N/A N/A
Bruce Bowen $4,000,000 $4,000,000 N/A N/A N/A N/A
Fabricio Oberto $3,600,000 $3,800,000 N/A N/A N/A N/A
Roger Mason $3,500,000 $3,780,000 N/A N/A N/A N/A
Matt Bonner $2,978,000 $3,256,500 N/A N/A N/A N/A
Michael Finley $2,500,000 $2,500,000 N/A N/A N/A N/A
Jacque Vaughn $1,262,275 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
Ime Udoka $1,080,000 N/A N/A N/A N/A N/A
George Hill $1,006,200 $1,081,680 $771,440 $1,390,906 $2,052,978 N/A
Ian Mahinmi $841,000 $899,700 $1,623,959 $2,419,698 N/A N/A
Desmon Farmer $797,581 $855,189 N/A N/A N/A N/A
Anthony Tolliver $711,517 $825,497 N/A N/A N/A N/A

Other than their big 3 they have NOTHING

JayW_1023
11-09-2008, 09:38 AM
Are you guys insane??? You don't deal Tim Duncan...and there is no chance RC Buford is gonna deal him now. Timmy has been the differencemaker for the Spurs his entire career.

If the Spurs trade him they have pretty much given up o this season, which is just 8 games or so old.

The whole notion of dealing TD is simply laughable.

codes238
11-09-2008, 09:45 AM
well i think this is duncan's last "dominant season" and by the time theyre healthy theyll already be out of the playoff picture in the deep west but theyll be good enough to not even get a high lottery pick so idd say theyre pretty ****ed!

JayW_1023
11-09-2008, 10:06 AM
^^^

You assume too much...sure it's troubling for The Spurs' chances as a top seed, but don't say it's over until it's over. It's not like Parker and Ginobili will be out for half the season or anything.

We're just six games into the season. I remember when teams like Dallas, Philadelphia and Portland started slow last year and people wrote them off too soon as well. Sure they didn't have health problems but it's still way too premature to say the Spurs are done this season after just 6 games. Preposterous.

JordansBulls
11-09-2008, 10:29 AM
Even with a healthy team I can't see them beating Lakers/Houston in a 7 game series.

Why not? They have proven over the years they can beat anyone in the league. They are battle tested.

ink
11-09-2008, 01:04 PM
The Spurs have always been underestimated. Sure they're getting a little older, but they're still one of the all-time great teams. JB has a point. They would be deadly for top-seeded teams if they fell back to the lower playoff seeds.

lakers4sho
11-09-2008, 01:26 PM
Why not? They have proven over the years they can beat anyone in the league. They are battle tested.

Yes but you're assuming they're still the same Spurs from 2-3 years ago. Many factors affect their game, you know.

For one thing, they've lost a great deal of depth, and I doubt Finley would be a consistent contributor for them this season. Sure, Duncan and Parker and Manu will still be close to that top level they were, but how about the other guys?

Look what's happened to them. Manu goes down, they go winless. What if he goes down again towards the end of the season? Does that mean that the Spurs can't win anything without him??

MTar786
11-09-2008, 04:21 PM

sorry... i dont know much about the cats.. i dont really care... but umm.. why wouldnt okafor and wallace and a 1st for duncan not work.. u just said ur self itl prob be top 5.. cap wise it doesnt work? i thought it would

IndyRealist
11-09-2008, 04:35 PM
The Spurs need to get healthy and play around .500 for the first 50 games. Then in the last 32, when teams are a) tanking to get higher in the draft, or b) resting their stars for the playoffs, they need to go nearly perfect in order to get the 8th seed. They can then upset the #1, either the Lakers, Hornets, or Rockets, on route to another championship. Not saying it's likely, but it's probably their best chance.

JordansBulls
11-09-2008, 04:43 PM
The Spurs need to get healthy and play around .500 for the first 50 games. Then in the last 32, when teams are a) tanking to get higher in the draft, or b) resting their stars for the playoffs, they need to go nearly perfect in order to get the 8th seed. They can then upset the #1, either the Lakers, Hornets, or Rockets, on route to another championship. Not saying it's likely, but it's probably their best chance.

:nod:

EddieB
11-09-2008, 05:02 PM
The Spurs remind me of the Lakers after 2003, they just hung on to the same lineup for to long, like Horry, Fox etcc. they should of gotten some new players to surround their stars in Duncan,Paker and Ginobli

dre1990
11-09-2008, 05:17 PM
they need a trade fo real.

Joshtd1
11-09-2008, 07:19 PM
The Spurs remind me of the Lakers after 2003, they just hung on to the same lineup for to long, like Horry, Fox etcc. they should of gotten some new players to surround their stars in Duncan,Paker and Ginobli

Thing about that, is that players dont really want to seem to play here, except vets. Throw in the fact that we never have anything but the MLE to offer and its hard.

So that means we would have to trade for someone.....yet outside of our big 3, no one is interested in what we have, so it is very hard for the Spurs to get a big named player.

Big Quett
11-10-2008, 07:58 AM
Thing about that, is that players dont really want to seem to play here, except vets. Throw in the fact that we never have anything but the MLE to offer and its hard.

So that means we would have to trade for someone.....yet outside of our big 3, no one is interested in what we have, so it is very hard for the Spurs to get a big named player.

I dont think there not interested in playing there Like you said they just dont really have the money after paying the Big 3. I think people like Maggette or Ben gordon would have loved to play there but they wanted more money than the Spurs could have offered.

DetroitPistons3
11-10-2008, 02:58 PM
are the spurs gonna make the playoffs this year or miss it? Manu Ginobili is still injured from the Beijing Olympic game against his aregentina against the USA hes expected too come back i guess in December and now tony parker is out for 4 weeks i think the spurs are done there prime has come to a end its just tim duncan all by himself the spurs they have been to the NBA playoffs for 11 straight years it looks like this long amazing streak will come to a close the spurs should be the declined team of the year the spurs are gonna have to look for young talented players are rebuild themselves in the future and get back to the Dynasty type of spur team tim duncans career is whinning down he already has 4 championships he can just retire early he has seen it all at age 32 how can he lead his team when he doesnt have his partners tony parker is there main guy he scores 55 points then next thing you now he has ankle sprain injury this is really getting off hand players are starting to get injured and its just not helping there team NBA players seriously need to start being careful when playing or the NBA will end up a injury prone basketball league the spurs what a run it was during there prime years lets say goodbye to what a long playoff appearance streak it was 11 straight years of playoff basketball for the San antonio spurs.

Wilson
11-10-2008, 03:01 PM
What?

mjt20mik
11-10-2008, 03:09 PM
I'm not sure. The West is a tough conference, but if they can stay at par till Manu and Tony come back, I'm sure they can make a push for the Playoffs.

NYKnickFanatic
11-10-2008, 03:11 PM
They will make the playoffs.
Dont sleep on the Spurs.