PDA

View Full Version : Oden's Return???

sciferguy
11-07-2008, 05:57 PM
Anybody know when or what game he is supposed to return? He looked very comfy sitting behind the bench at the Houston game. Hope he doesn't get too used to it. We need him to get comfy in a uniform.

A.Mopp
11-07-2008, 07:16 PM
He is out at least another week

ragee
11-08-2008, 06:39 PM
I hope that is the last injury that we see in months or maybe even in years! I can't wait to see what he can really do in the NBA! Most of my friends, especially Laker fans believe he is a bust and Bynum is way better than him. I still believe in him. I hope he can do great things for the Blazers!

A.Mopp
11-08-2008, 09:33 PM
I hope that is the last injury that we see in months or maybe even in years! I can't wait to see what he can really do in the NBA! Most of my friends, especially Laker fans believe he is a bust and Bynum is way better than him. I still believe in him. I hope he can do great things for the Blazers!

I don't see how Laker fans or anybody can think he is a bust. He has played in 13 professional minutes. And of course Bynum us the better player now. He has been in the league for 4 years, but down the road Oden could be better or just as good. Nobody knows yet, it really annoys me when they call a player a bust after 1 game or even 1 season.

A.Mopp
11-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Oden returns to practice

Greg Oden back in action
Besides the timing of shoot around, the other news out of Orlando yesterday was Greg Oden's return to the practice court. Oden had been rehabbing with a variety of off-court exercise coupled with some light on-court shooting, but yesterday Oden ran, jumped and (lightly) bumped with the team at the Magic's practice facility.

And he looked good. I didn't get a chance to talk to him after shoot around, but it didn't look like he was experiencing any pain. Granted, it was a hour long shoot around that basically amounts to a walk-through of Orlando's bread and butter plays, but it was great to see the big man getting up and down the court again, especially considering there was some concern that he wouldn't even make the trip.

Important to note though that just because Oden participated in yesterday's shoot around doesn't necessarily mean he's ready to get out and play in game situations. The team is scheduled to have a full practice tomorrow in Miami, so it's possible we'll know more about Oden's status after that. It's possible we'll get an update pre-game tonight, but my gut tells me that, at the very least, they'd want to run Oden through a whole practice before coming to any conclusions about his status for the rest of the trip.

Oden played with the second unit, so if nothing else, I think we can assume Joel Przybilla will continue to start at center, at least in the near term. Oden hasn't played since sustaining a mid-foot sprain 13 days ago in the opener against the Lakers.

this is encouraging news

sciferguy
11-11-2008, 02:51 AM
YES!! its very encouraging news..he should be back by the 4th or 5th road game no doubt...i just hope they dont start him yet...his body isn't in nba shape and will get injured again no doubt if they just push him too far

blackjack_119
11-11-2008, 03:10 AM
Oden is supposed to return Wednesday against Miami. Today Oden was sprinting and participating in practice. He was not, however, engaging in full contact. While Oden is likely to play against the Heat, he will not start. My guess is that Oden's first start will be against the first undersized center that the team will play (Andres Bierdins) which means he will come off of the bench against Miami, New Orleans, and Minnesota.

blackjack_119
11-11-2008, 03:16 AM
YES!! its very encouraging news..he should be back by the 4th or 5th road game no doubt...i just hope they dont start him yet...his body isn't in nba shape and will get injured again no doubt if they just push him too far

Oden's injury wasn't due to his shape... he stepped on Derrick Fisher's foot (while 285lb. Andrew Bynum jumped on his back.)

sciferguy
11-11-2008, 03:20 AM
Oden's injury wasn't due to his shape... he stepped on Derrick Fisher's foot (while 285lb. Andrew Bynum jumped on his back.)

yes and no....see when you are working out and playing basketball on a daily basis..you not only strengthen your muscles to support your tendons(ankle sprain) but you are also stretching your muscles and tendons becoming more limber and agile therefore preventing injury

sciferguy
11-11-2008, 03:22 AM
even though it was kind of a freak accident with his ankle ( i've had tons of them)....lets not forget the knee or back....thats why he shouldn't be rushed back .... 15 to 20 minutes is a perfect set for him right now

sciferguy
11-13-2008, 03:04 AM
just as i suspected...he is not in shape and looked a little slow and out of it..his defensive presence is really nice...he's is gonna be great this year

Blazin_101
11-13-2008, 10:55 AM
yeah he looked great the first 3 minutes he was in.

once he gets in shape he will be pretty dominating.

jnb58
11-13-2008, 11:13 AM
Oden looked good. He was getting the crap beat out of him. It really did look like Hack-A-Shaq without him going to the line.

It was awesome how much bigger, quicker and stronger he was than everyone else last night. He did look a little tired but more frustrated than anything.

Those blocks and rebounds were awesome. He SOOOO reminds me of Dwight Howard. In time he will be awesome.

R32
11-13-2008, 01:22 PM

until Oden shows me that he can play injured-or-not, he is the next Sam Bowie :smoking:

sciferguy
11-13-2008, 04:33 PM
get outta here with that sam bowie crap...yeah he does look like a man surrounded by kids out there..i dont like the dwight howard resemblance...more like a shaq without that inside offensive touch...but he'll get there

A.Mopp
11-13-2008, 04:38 PM
yeah the sam bowie stuff has to stop. Also even though Bowie was hurt a lot he still had a good career, and the only reason Bowie gets crap is because Jordan was taken after him.

sciferguy
11-16-2008, 06:59 AM
The last couple games have been very promising of whats to come with Oden....He's starting to look comfortable out there and thats not a good thing for the rest of the NBA

Rhino
11-16-2008, 12:18 PM
I know the coaches want to limit his minutes right now, (and rightly so) but I can't wait to see him starting. He needs to work on his footwork which will come in time and careful on the fouls. The skys the limit good luck Oden.

Ansy
11-19-2008, 04:03 PM
After a few games from Oden I'm hugely impressed. He's turning the ball over, commits stupid fouls, he can't make a shot that isn't a dunk and he's clearly out of game shape -- and he's still a huge factor.

What we're seeing right now is basically Oden's floor. He really can't play worse than this and his worst is really, really good. With improvements to some of his problem areas it's not out of the question to think he could become a top 5 player in the league.

sciferguy
11-19-2008, 04:55 PM
yeah once he gets into the groove and feel of it all i dont seeing anybody stopping him or us for that matter...once everybody starts playing together and feeling more comfortable its gonna be an exciting time....even though it already is

ragee
11-19-2008, 06:48 PM
After a few games from Oden I'm hugely impressed. He's turning the ball over, commits stupid fouls, he can't make a shot that isn't a dunk and he's clearly out of game shape -- and he's still a huge factor.

What we're seeing right now is basically Oden's floor. He really can't play worse than this and his worst is really, really good. With improvements to some of his problem areas it's not out of the question to think he could become a top 5 player in the league.

I was about to bash you until I finished reading your comment! LOL!:D His fouls will be his major problem... Even when he was in college, he is prone to commiting a lot of fouls... Right not, it is not really hurting him that much coz they are still limiting his mins but come playoff time, we need him in the court for atleast 30 mins...

sciferguy
11-21-2008, 02:15 AM
The one promising thing about Oden is that he shoots a decent free throw shot...which tells me that he will be able to have that offensive touch that he's missing because thats about all he's missing from his game...when shaq came in he couldn't do anything but dunk and block shots (sound familiar) but after a few years of big man camps and experience...he was able to score at will due to his size and attributed touch.....Oden will be great

ragee
11-21-2008, 06:14 PM
The one promising thing about Oden is that he shoots a decent free throw shot...which tells me that he will be able to have that offensive touch that he's missing because thats about all he's missing from his game...when shaq came in he couldn't do anything but dunk and block shots (sound familiar) but after a few years of big man camps and experience...he was able to score at will due to his size and attributed touch.....Oden will be great

I hate Shaq and I love Oden... I have to say that Shaq is more of a complete player when he came to this league... His defense and offense are at top caliber even if it had flaws... Oden will be a force to be reckoned with in later years but he really needs to work hard... Especially his offensive game...

sciferguy
11-22-2008, 03:35 PM
I hate Shaq and I love Oden... I have to say that Shaq is more of a complete player when he came to this league... His defense and offense are at top caliber even if it had flaws... Oden will be a force to be reckoned with in later years but he really needs to work hard... Especially his offensive game...

actually the only thing shaq would have on him rookie to rookie is shaq was more athletic comming into the league..he didn't have a shot at all (look at his free throw shot), he even admitted it the other day when the guy who taught him how to score in the paint died the other day...but Oden being out for as long as he was, you cant blame him...

ragee
11-22-2008, 09:27 PM
actually the only thing shaq would have on him rookie to rookie is shaq was more athletic comming into the league..he didn't have a shot at all (look at his free throw shot), he even admitted it the other day when the guy who taught him how to score in the paint died the other day...but Oden being out for as long as he was, you cant blame him...

Shaq has a terrible free throw shooting... Even now... However, his offensive game was already there in his rookie season... But that is the last thing I would say to defend Shaq! You can bash him all you want! LOL!:D I just hope Oden will be as good as that guy after a couple of years...