PDA

View Full Version : Catcher Hernandez

bigity b
11-07-2008, 05:37 PM
Just a thought and i'm throwing it out there for feedback - With Weiters obviously coming up next year, what if we offer Hernandez to the Red Sox? I know no one ever trades within the division, but they're looking for a platoon catcher with their captain Varitek declining rapidly plus they can afford hernandez and he fits as a supporting piece. What could we get in return? What should we expect in return for Hernandez from any team? Lastly, getting him off the books will only help us pursue the big name FA this offseason (Tex, Burnett)

Khennick
11-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Like the idea, but unfortunatly Hernandez isnt worth a roll of toilet paper right now. I think the best thing is to wait till June or the deadline to trade him because i think being his contract year he will have his best season since he got here. That will increase his value and we can get something for him then bring up weiters afterwords.

Driven
11-08-2008, 04:48 PM
I disagree that Hernandez doesn't have any value. If we eat much of that contract, he'll have decent value. Hernandez is still a quality starting catcher in this league.

vetoedbyangelos
11-09-2008, 06:10 AM
Hernandez has value. 47 home runs and 218 RBI in 383 games played with Baltimore. How many catchers have exceeded his totals during that span? Take Joe Mauer. In 395 games played, he hit 29 home runs and drove in 229 runs. Yes, he's a substantially better contact hitter, but that doesn't mean Hernandez is worthless. Mike Napoli has 46 homeruns and 125 RBI in 252 games, but he also has a .248 career average. Hernandez has also been playing hurt, and even though the fans have soured on him, he was brought to Baltimore because of his reputation for working well with pitchers. He's a decent bounce-back candidate, especially in a walk year.

Defensively, Hernandez has always been hit or miss. 2006 was, by far, his best defensive season. It's worth noting, however, that he trends up every two or three years. I'm not saying he'll be a gold glove candidate in 2009, but I do think throwing out 30-35% of attempted base stealers isn't out of the question. Especially if he gets traded to a team with a veteran staff that knows how to hold runners and doesn't issue so many walks. Catching Daniel Cabrera is enough to break any man's spirit, isn't it?

thegreatone08
11-10-2008, 09:53 PM
I really don't see the O's being very active during the Free Agent Period. Only big name we might go after is Tex. Everyone else will be mid level major league players. Mine as well keep Ramon till the trade deadline. He will start out the season as catcher because Wieters won't start on the opening day roster. Once he gets called up Ramon will go to backup catcher, DH and possibly a lil 1B.

bigity b
11-11-2008, 03:25 PM
I heard the Reds are now in the market for a catcher - anyone, realistically, from them interest O's fans?

Driven
11-12-2008, 10:34 AM
I really don't see the O's being very active during the Free Agent Period. Only big name we might go after is Tex. Everyone else will be mid level major league players. Mine as well keep Ramon till the trade deadline. He will start out the season as catcher because Wieters won't start on the opening day roster. Once he gets called up Ramon will go to backup catcher, DH and possibly a lil 1B.
I expect the O's to go after at least Tex and Burnett extremely heavily.

blb
11-12-2008, 01:35 PM
I expect the O's to go after at least Tex and Burnett extremely heavily.

Drop Orlando Cabrera, Edgar Renteria, Rafael Furcal in there as well. There's no way Andy lets the shortstop problem fester into another season of journeymen.

vetoedbyangelos
11-13-2008, 02:40 PM
Cabrera isn't a long-term fix. He's 34 already, and he's starting to lose his range. Same goes for Renteria. Furcal is young enough to be an answer for the next few years, but he'll probably be too expensive. I really like him as a player, but I think the Orioles will target a Kevin Millar-type player. Not as productive, but good for chemistry - perhaps David Eckstein. A lot of people are starting to speculate about Cesar Izturis, but the Orioles don't have the luxury of ignoring offense for defense. We need to compete in a very tough division, and while the Orioles say defense is a priority, you know they're aware of that lack of production - and how it kills our lineup.

I don't think Hernandez has a lot of value, but maybe we can spin him for a reliable reliever or solid, lower-level prospect. He's not going to fetch much, not with that contract.

TheUltimateGM
11-13-2008, 10:00 PM
If the Angels trade Mathis or Napoli i another trade would the Orioles do a Hernandez/Sherrill/Cash for Brandon Wood deal?

EricU812
11-14-2008, 03:06 PM
We knew that when we bought Hernandez that we were overpaying. However...we brought Hernandez in to help develop Bedard, Loewen, and others...he's done that.

Essentially, Hernandez is part of the reason we were able to land Jones, Sherrill, and all others in that deal. Now, he can be used to help develop Matt Weiters...if we can't move him, I'm not worried. If we can move him, be thankful for whatever we can get.

blb
11-14-2008, 03:56 PM
Cabrera isn't a long-term fix. He's 34 already, and he's starting to lose his range.

I know that Cabrera's not a long term fix, but at least he's a fix.

And I'm not all about the O's jumping into the trade market unless they're trading Hernandez, Huff or Mora. Think about it. What pieces does this team even have to trade to obtain a starting shortstop or a pitcher or two? Prospects? Sure, the farm system is a lot better than it was a few years ago, but it doesn't make sense to trade any of the top prospects (Weiters, Tillman, Matusz, Arrieta, Reimold, Snyder, Rowell, etc.). And the Padres aren't going to take a couple of low-level guys for Khalil Greene.

I'm all for resigning Roberts, extending Markakis, bringing up Weiters and signing Teixeira. Add Jones and Scott/Reimold to that list and you've got long term solutions at every position aside from third and short. If those are the only holes, I'm all for signing a few solid stopgap players.

Brendan
11-14-2008, 05:13 PM
We need to drop more of our veterans...

Last winter was VERY succesful with JUST two trades....

I know that if we traded veterans that are putting up good numbers like Huff or Scott it mite not look good, but look what McPhail did last year with Bedard and Tejada

If we can have an offseason like last year by getting rid of players we dont need, especially Mora, and adding a few new faces to go with Roberts, Markakis, Jones, and Weiters, we can be very succesful

blb
11-15-2008, 03:51 PM
If we can have an offseason like last year by getting rid of players we dont need, especially Mora, and adding a few new faces to go with Roberts, Markakis, Jones, and Weiters, we can be very succesful

I'm with you on Mora, but how do you suggest trading a 37-year-old third baseman who's making $8 million per year and has an unlimited no-trade clause? First, you have to talk some team into trading for him, then you have to convince him to waive the no-trade clause.

Face it. The Orioles are stuck with Melvin Mora. His contract and Gibbons' contract were two of the worst decisions in the history of the franchise.

vetoedbyangelos
11-20-2008, 01:04 AM
Isn't Mike Lowell hurt? What about Boston? If we package in cash, we could pick up a decent prospect. Not only that, but should Boston decide to trade Lowell, they could always pick up the 2010 option on Mora's contract. Mora could DH and do spot work in the outfield when Lowell is healthy. Not only that, but if Mora left via free agency, the Red Sox would probably get a compensatory sandwich pick - making up in part for the prospect they lost. It would give Mora a chance to contend before his career is over, and he would still be relatively close to home.

The Phillies could also be another destination, although I know less about their farm system - and I see less urgency for them to get a deal done.

EricU812
11-20-2008, 10:33 AM
Boston will put Youk at 3rd if need be. And the DH will always be Papi.

They attempted to trade him to Phils last year, but it was believed that he wouldn't go anywhere. I don't think he and his 8 kids are going anywhere.

bigity b
11-20-2008, 02:34 PM
Yeah, we can expect to have Mora until the end of the contract and IMO, it's not the worse thing. He's solid and consistent in the field (he's really good on covering bunts) and depending which Mora we get at the plate (end of last year / 2005 vs. two years ago) he aint all that bad either. Are there really any upgrades available at 3rd? didnt think so, plus he allows our 2 3B propspects another year to develop....

If Boston gets Tex, that means Lowell is the odd man out. Will he be on the move?