PDA

View Full Version : Offseason Ideas

PistonsFan14
11-07-2008, 10:28 AM
If i were GM of the Tigers this offseason here is just a few things and ideas I would do.

For starters lets do a quick rundown of the lineup.

1. Cut the knot with Sheffield. Give him whatever we owe him and get him out of the clubhouse.

2. This one might sound off the wall but I really like the sound of it. If Texas bought of Hank Blalock's contract. I would jump all over that. Yes he has been injured however He is a good left handed bat and would be well protected in the Tigers lineup. Low-Mild Risk, High Reward. We could do it.

3. Dont trade Maggs. I cant think of a realistic offer a team would offer us what we want.

Therefor we look somthing like this.

1. Granderson CF
2. Polonco 2B
3. Blalock 3B
4. Maggs RF
5. Cabrera 1B
6. Guillen LF
7. Thames/Joyce DH
8. Ryan/Inge C (hey why not try Ryan or atleast make people fight for this spot in spring training)
9. Santiago SS

Ok so thats just a rough sketch but i think that lineup would be succesful especially with the addition of Blalock.

Now the fun part..Pitching

1. Ive heard so many things on Kenny Rogers just this offseason I have no clue what is going on. But I think he could have one more year in him. So why not get him for that 1 year.. also what people seem to overlook is his mentoring of the younger guys on the staff. IF Rogers decides to retire i strongly suggest we go after Smoltz. Yes i know he is old too but yet again hes a low risk high reward. Also he is 2 years younger then Rogers. Anyone remember what Rogers did 2 years ago? 17 wins. Granted Smoltz is coming off surgery however I say its def worth it. If his arm cant hold up as a starter perhaps he could eat some innings in the bullpen

2. I also think we could get Francisco Cordero. He would fit the closer spot perfectly.

1. Verlander
2. Galaraga
3. Bonderman
3. Rogers/Smoltz
5. Willis

(perhaps Garcia in the mix still? lambert later in the year?)

Bullpen:
Closer- Cordero
Setup- Zumaya

Rodney
Miner
Fossum
Robertson
Lopez
Dolsi
Seay
(possibly a free agent here)

Just some ideas I thought would throw something out there.

Epic89
11-07-2008, 01:02 PM
Bullpen still ****ing sucks. We'd lose 90+ with a pen like that.

No way Ryan is the starting catcher, no idea why he's so hyped, didn't know he was Johnny Bench.

And trading for Cordero sounds wells and good, but who do we trade? To not pick on you, I'll criticize the baseball writers who think we're gonna trade for Huston Street or JJ Putz too: who can we give them of any value? We have one good prospect who should be completely untouchable.

Smoltz and Rogers? You might as well pencil in our 6th starter 'cause either of those guys is GOING to get hurt. I'd be all for Garcia.

And I'm sick and tired of hearing Sheff is clubhouse poison. That's a ****ed-up clubhouse, but it's not Sheffield's fault. That's the kind of cut you'd make, and it would bite you in the *** immediately.

JackB
11-08-2008, 09:27 AM
I thought I could add something but looks like Epic89 has summed it up pretty well. I will add there has been some talk of Chad Cordero possibly coming in a s the closer. Hes a FA. Injuries hurt him this last season. They can' afford to buyout Sheffield not after buying out Renteria.That gamble cost us dearly . But we had to take a shot. If it had worked out DD would be looking good right now.

Bondomania
11-08-2008, 11:10 AM
wow, epic, way to come on here and just totally be negative.. the ideas he had were alright, but there were some major flaws.. both rogers and smoltz are not AL pitchers anymore in their careers first off.. Hank Blalocks option did get picked up, but he isn't a 3B anymore, they are penciling him in as a 1b/DH.. Francisco Cordero would be way to expensive to get.. however, the idea of going after Putz wouldn't be a bad idea.. and yes we do have some pieces that we could use to get him, especially for a team that just got a whole new front office.. looks like chances are that they are going to be rebuilding... so what about Brent Clevlen or Wilkin Ramirez, both have some solid value, or what about Marcus Thames, or Guillermo Moscoso, or Luis Marte, or what about moving Inge to seattle.. there are ways to trade for him without losing core players, especially considering that Seattle is selling very low on Putz.. i personally would try anything to get Putz.. we have pieces in our farm system of value, they may not be that 5 star prospect, but there are a few guys that can play at the major league level and do alright

Bondomania
11-08-2008, 11:11 AM
oh yeah, and he had a 14 pitcher staff.. which is unlikely.. you usually only want 12 pitchers, 13 at a max and that is if you have a day/night double header, or some of your pitching staff is gased

drewstantontime
11-08-2008, 08:28 PM
i kinda liked his proposal at least but id still rather see inge at third. hes too good defensively at third to not play him there. But as far as Cordero goes, i think hes still got alot of ball to play and id like to see him as our closer, unless of course they decide that K-Rod should be a must and go after him, i dont even care if they dont get krod but id like to see them as a player in the chase. Sheffield.....well if he stays he stays im not gonna care that much, i think he still contribute and maybe its just me but id deal with his crap if it manages to help us get championship,hes still a big draw at their games and somewhat a fan favorite still, if he doesnt work out trade him during the offseason and get some pitching prospects or something. shortstop....well id like to see furcal, he can hit enough to make you happy and his defense is stellar. Same goes for Jack Wilson from the pirates. Great defense, batting is ok. I would like to see them make a move to get a good leadoff hitter so we can try Granderson back in the lineup a little bit, with all his doubles and triples im sure he could put up good rbi stats, bat him 6th maybe get a lil speed who can hit at the middle to end of the lineup, and i think as for a good lefty who can hit in your lineup, i think matt joyce has plenty of potential if they play his consistently

Lineup
1.ss-furcal
2.2B-Polanco
3.dh.Guillen/Sheffield
4.RF-Maggs
5.1B-Cabrera
6.Granderson
7.Joyce
8.Inge
9.Ryan

And pitching would be something like

c. krod/ or cordero whoever they want to afford
setup. zumaya/Rodney
-Seay
-dolsi
-robertson
-lopez
-fossum

Starting 5
Verlander
Galarraga
bonderman
garcia
miner/or maybe a brad penny, derek lowe if they could pull off one of the better pitchers on the market that we boost this pitching staff like crazy

still lots of potentail there

i dooont know

JackB
11-08-2008, 10:11 PM
Derek Lowe has told his agaent he wants to go back to the Red Sox. I would rather give Garcia a shot then sign Penny.

Detroit70
11-09-2008, 09:16 AM
I was just looking at the FA list and there is plenty of good bull pen help out there. Most of them they could get at a good price just take a look. If I remember right I believe we blew the most leads after the 7th inning. It was 28 or 29 blown leads. Give the hole bullpen walking papers and reload. If we can do it through the minors do it first, but if they dont think they can make some moves.

JackB
11-09-2008, 11:02 AM
I'm still thinking we need one solid starter . I'm hoping Bonderman comes back strong. Verlander returns to his old form. Gallaraga was a nice find last year but will he repeat or get better? Minor same question. After that we are stuck with Robertson and Willis. The bullpen I agree needs to be completely revamped. I don't trust any of them. There may be some good free agents but they will cost. I think we try to find somebody that has done a good job in the past ( young ) but maybe had a tough time last season and have our new PC work with him or them. He has the expirence working with young pitchers. Don't forget there are several other teams also looking for bullpen help.

Epic89
11-09-2008, 09:30 PM
wow, epic, way to come on here and just totally be negative

I'll do that until someone can give me a bona-fide plausible reason to be positive. This team's needs are countless; they go beyond SS, catcher, pitching- they need a heart transplant, need to develop some pride too. The people of this city have invested a lot in this team, and that pompous bunch of prima donnas treated their appreciation like ****ing toilet paper. Their management is delusional and incapable of admitting mistakes; they came in last place, and they still aren't convinced major changes are in order. One year after "win now" was the team motto, they're putting stock in prospects I don't see on any top 100 or even 200 lists. They are considering trading their best ****ing player for crying out loud, and one of the only players on that team this city should be proud of!!!!!! No major changes, no improvement- bottom line. The Twins and White Sox are going to be much improved after this offseason, The Indians barely even need to improve. The Tigers are my favorite team, but I'm sure not proud of it; I'm embarrassed.

If they're gonna win the world series next year, they're going to have to prove me wrong at every turn, until the clinching game itself; I see no reason to expect them to do better in 2009.

mark1125
11-09-2008, 09:56 PM
I'll do that until someone can give me a bona-fide plausible reason to be positive. This team's needs are countless; they go beyond SS, catcher, pitching- they need a heart transplant, need to develop some pride too. The people of this city have invested a lot in this team, and that pompous bunch of prima donnas treated their appreciation like ****ing toilet paper. Their management is delusional and incapable of admitting mistakes; they came in last place, and they still aren't convinced major changes are in order. One year after "win now" was the team motto, they're putting stock in prospects I don't see on any top 100 or even 200 lists. They are considering trading their best ****ing player for crying out loud, and one of the only players on that team this city should be proud of!!!!!! No major changes, no improvement- bottom line. The Twins and White Sox are going to be much improved after this offseason, The Indians barely even need to improve. The Tigers are my favorite team, but I'm sure not proud of it; I'm embarrassed.

If they're gonna win the world series next year, they're going to have to prove me wrong at every turn, until the clinching game itself; I see no reason to expect them to do better in 2009.

I'm with Epic on this one. I watched the Tigers in the 90's when they played hard, but didn't have the talent. That I can do. This last season was some of the most uninspired, gutless, boring, and horrible baseball I have seen. this from a team that many pegged for the World Series. They have many bad attitudes, bad contracts, and they don't seem to think that a lot needs to be done. When Brandon Inge is in the starting lineup and we are turning over out catching spot to a marginal catching prospect, that is reason to worry.

I would love to be proven wrong. I will support them as I think they can turn it around, but it is going to take more than a couple players stepping it up. It is a mindset.

Epic89
11-10-2008, 02:45 PM
I'm with Epic on this one. I watched the Tigers in the 90's when they played hard, but didn't have the talent. That I can do. This last season was some of the most uninspired, gutless, boring, and horrible baseball I have seen. this from a team that many pegged for the World Series. They have many bad attitudes, bad contracts, and they don't seem to think that a lot needs to be done. When Brandon Inge is in the starting lineup and we are turning over out catching spot to a marginal catching prospect, that is reason to worry.

I would love to be proven wrong. I will support them as I think they can turn it around, but it is going to take more than a couple players stepping it up. It is a mindset.

Amen; last place- if that can't convince them, I don't know what will. And it's not even like they have to sign CC Sabathia, Rafael Furcal, and K-Rod. No, they just need to sign Derek Lowe, David Eckstein, and Brian Fuentes.

I hope they prove me wrong, I don't expect it though.

JackB
11-10-2008, 09:41 PM
Don't hold your breath on any of those signing with those players Tigers

JDBaseball5
11-16-2008, 11:49 PM
Would you guys be willing to Trade Dontrelle for Mike Carp and Luis Castillo?

mark1125
11-17-2008, 12:07 AM
Would you guys be willing to Trade Dontrelle for Mike Carp and Luis Castillo?

I don't know much about Carp, but we don't need nor would I want Castillo. With that being said, I have no issues dealing Willis for either A) Someone of some value with a larger contract or B) A marginal/mid prospect with low salary.

mattd24
11-17-2008, 11:32 AM
can people stop worrying about Brandon Inge!?! He is NOT our biggest problem right now...did you not see Tampa Bay and Philadelphia's lineup? both teams have one or two guys who don't hit well but are defensive gems - that's Brandon.

If Brandon was this team's biggest problem we'd be set for years to come! But it's not even close.

May i remind you the horrible pitching staff from last year, our need for a SS and C and (own bias) need for a new manager!

Brandon IS a gold glove 3B and any offense we get from him at all is a bonus

Bondomania
11-17-2008, 11:56 AM
Brandon Inge sucks.. he will never be a gold glove 3B, because offense is tied into the category... and Inge sucks balls with a bat in his hands

Detroit70
11-17-2008, 01:11 PM
Inge has a great glove! Granted his hitting is terrible, but he has some good power. With a full season at the plat .240/25/80 ob% 290. Find another to fill his spot would be a tough one to find minus the BA.

mattd24
11-17-2008, 06:20 PM
Brandon Inge sucks.. he will never be a gold glove 3B, because offense is tied into the category... and Inge sucks balls with a bat in his hands

The kid has a rocket for an arm, the best range of any 3B in the american league, if not all of MLB and can read a play...

Who do you think you are going to get to play 3B on this team? There isn't another option - unless you ONCE AGAIN trade away a younger player or pay for someone in an already rediculously overpaid team.

Brandon will make less than 12 errors this year, which at 3B is great...and he'll bat 9th. There's nothing wrong with that at all...

Bondomania
11-17-2008, 06:46 PM
FALSE!!! ABSOLUTLY FALSE!!!

2005 - 23 errors
2006 - 22 errors
2007 - 18 errors

Brandon will never come close to hitting .240.. his BA has been declining every year since 2004.. pitchers in the AL have figured him out... and he played only 9 fewer games at 3b and yet people want to make the argument that he will play better once he goes to 3rd..

2004 - .287
2005 - .261
2006 - .253
2007 - .236
2008 - .205

His OBP and SLG percentages have also declined every year since then... i hate the love affair with Brandon.. yes he makes some nice plays, but he is a selfish crybaby.. when there were talks of Cabrera being the everyday 3B last spring, he pouted and went to the media and demanded a trade... i just don't get why Jim feels that he has to get Brandon into the lineup.. make the guy go out there and earn it in the spring.. Jeff Larish is proving in the AFL that he is more than capable of handling the hot corner.. early reports have him displaying a solid glove.. and oh yeah he is hitting over .300 with power, and driving in runs.. Larish hits with RISP.. as he displayed in the limited playing time in detroit.. when he hit over .400 with runners on.. so i think that Larish and Inge should be battling for the position in spring training.. and if Larish shows that he can make the routine plays and a few of those web gem plays in the spring, then i think he should be our starting 3B.. bring in Inge late for defense.. but Larish is at least the big time lefty power bat that we are craving in our lineup

Bondomania
11-17-2008, 06:49 PM
no one in the league committs fewer than 12 errors in the league playing full time at 3B

Nizzle20
11-17-2008, 08:50 PM
I don't know much about Carp, but we don't need nor would I want Castillo. With that being said, I have no issues dealing Willis for either A) Someone of some value with a larger contract or B) A marginal/mid prospect with low salary.

Yes Sir!

theoldgoalie
11-18-2008, 03:18 AM
But I see things a little differently. First off, I know what has been said, but Guillen is NOT a left fielder. To me that spot should be Joyce's to lose. Thames is good and can play an important role as DH, LF or 1B, but Joyce is the man in left to me. As for 3B, Inge is outstanding in that department, although not a great hitter, he gets an A+ defensively from me and we have a good line up that can produce well enough to make up for any short comings Inge may have. As for short stop, I like Lugo, he will come cheap, both teams will be helping each other and although he can be very inconsistent at times, having him and Granderson on the bases at the same time with Cabrera, Ordonez and Guillen coming to the plate tells me runs are going to come. Catcher, to me is a no brainer, we should not have gotten rid of Pudge, but we did, so I would like to see Varitek come home and teach Ryan a thing or two. Pitching will be better this year, I would like to see Robertson go to Boston and keep Willis, because I think he can rebound and Garcia is with us, so why not keep him and see what a full spring training and season can do, but DO NOT sign Rogers!! That said, I would like to see the 2009 tigers will look something like this:

Line up
1.) Lugo SS (via trade)
2.) Polanco 2B
3.) Granderson CF
4.) Cabrera 1B
5.) Ordonez RF
6.) Guillen DH
7.) Joyce LF
8.) Varitek C (via FA)
9.) Inge 3B

Pitching
Verlander
Bonderman
Galarraga
Garcia
Willis

Lastly, the closer role is up for grabs and with the exception of a few no brainers, it's a crap shoot. All I know is Hoffman is not the answer, nor is Chad Cordero. personally, I would like to see us go all out for Lyon, he is proven and young. We need stability in that role, not a revolving door.

theoldgoalie
11-18-2008, 03:24 AM
The kid has a rocket for an arm, the best range of any 3B in the american league, if not all of MLB and can read a play...

Who do you think you are going to get to play 3B on this team? There isn't another option - unless you ONCE AGAIN trade away a younger player or pay for someone in an already rediculously overpaid team.

Brandon will make less than 12 errors this year, which at 3B is great...and he'll bat 9th. There's nothing wrong with that at all...

Just a thought, but if the Mariners are willing to part with Putz (who I believe is more injured than most people think), why not make a deal that sends Inge and maybe a couple more capable players (ala Thames, Hessman, Clevlin, etc...) for the likes of Putz and/or Beltran. Adrian Beltran is older, but a very capable 3B that can produce the numbers that we would like to see from our 3B. I don't know if Seattle would be willing to part with him, but it would be worth trying to find out. We tried to sign him before he went to Seattle.

Detroit70
11-18-2008, 09:28 AM
All im saying about inge bondo is there could be a hole lot worse. He is already under contract and there is nobody as far as I know to replace him. They could upgrade maybe in BA and thats it. The more I look at the free agent market the more we should do it from our farm system's. Hopefully I will see iorg and worth this year when they are at toledo.

Bondomania
11-18-2008, 11:47 AM
Iorg is going to start in Erie, he might make it up to Toledo eventually.. but he could also skip Toledo entirely if there is an injury.. Worth i believe will start in Toledo.. but i think he was injured at the end of the season, so hopefully he comes back healthy and is ready to go in the spring

Yes, We Deliver
11-19-2008, 04:14 PM
for the likes of Putz and/or Beltran. Adrian Beltran is older, but a very capable 3B that can produce the numbers that we would like to see from our 3B.
Yeah, but Adrian Beltre might have something to say about his pal Beltran getting traded.