PDA

View Full Version : Source: Spurs could go after Eddy Curry

JordansBulls
11-07-2008, 08:23 AM
Source: NYDailyNews (http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/knicks/2008/11/06/2008-11-06_donnie_walsh_sees_al_harrington_as_made_.html)

One such team could be the San Antonio Spurs, who have a history of making trades with the Knicks and desperately need additional scoring.

The feeling is that by playing alongside Tim Duncan and Tony Parker, Curry could resurrect his career under Spurs coach Greg Popovich. One major stumbling block is that the Spurs may not have enough assets to satisfy the Warriors in a three-way move.

DenButsu
11-07-2008, 08:31 AM
satisfy the Warriors

I assume this rumor involves Harrington to NYK, then?

Faneik
11-07-2008, 08:35 AM
I assume this rumor involves Harrington to NYK, then?

I'm wondering in which Spurs' player(s) are the Warriors instered. Besides of Duncan, Parker and Manu, which I assume are untradeable, they don't have much talent...

I going to check out their expirings.

Tblaze
11-07-2008, 09:00 AM
Curry would look cool in a spurs uni I think :P

king4day
11-07-2008, 09:46 AM
Here's the beginning of the article that helps this make more sense.

Knicks president Donnie Walsh continues to pursue Golden State forward Al Harrington, but may need a third team to make a trade happen.

Harrington's contract matches the salary of Eddy Curry, who fell out of Mike D'Antoni's rotation even before suffering a knee injury. He is expected to be sidelined for two weeks.

The Knicks are willing to trade Curry, but the Warriors don't appear to have much interest in the former Bulls center. One other possibility would be for the Knicks to trade Malik Rose and David Lee to Golden State for Harrington. Otherwise, Walsh will have to find a third party.

JayW_1023
11-07-2008, 10:24 AM
I don't want Curry on the team unless he seriously turns his work ethic around. I rather have Malik Rose back as a Spur.

madiaz3
11-07-2008, 11:03 AM
I remember someone on the Knicks forum met David Robinson and he asked him a few questions and what he thought of the Knicks. He said that if Curry was on the Spurs, Pop WOULD make him an all-star.

Faneik
11-07-2008, 11:10 AM
I remember someone on the Knicks forum met David Robinson and he asked him a few questions and what he thought of the Knicks. He said that is Curry was on the Spurs, Pop WOULD make him an all-star.

I've seen flashes of talent in Curry. But his mindset has been way off the game for a while now. Not to mention he's way out of shape.

Maybe Pop could try to fix that.

DenButsu
11-07-2008, 12:03 PM
I don't want Curry on the team unless he seriously turns his work ethic around. I rather have Malik Rose back as a Spur.

:speechless:

I can understand an aversion to Curry, but you'd take Malik over him? That's just crazy, man. Even in his prime (which was long, long ago) he couldn't hold a candle to what Curry can do. (Compare their best seasons (http://www.basketball-reference.com/fc/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=0&p1=curryed01&y1=2007&p2=rosema01&y2=2003)). And Curry's still young enough that there's hope for him to be turned around in the right direction.

If you're talking finances and Rose's expiring looking a helluva lot better than Curry's (potentially) 3 years, then my ears are open.

But if you're talking basketball, no way man.

JayW_1023
11-07-2008, 12:25 PM
Curry isn't the kind of big the Spurs need. Timmy can do everything Curry brings and more.

What we need is a big who is athletic, can finish, defends and runs the floor well. Someone like Noah for example would be a perfect fit.

$ NyC $
11-07-2008, 12:58 PM
We have this same thread at the Knicks Forum. Welcome to join in

Giaps
11-07-2008, 01:27 PM
I think people need to give up on Curry being a dominating center in the NBA. That being said, I think in the right situation he can be a very good center and starter.

superkegger
11-07-2008, 02:11 PM
I doubt it happens. I really don't think the Spurs have enough to give the warriors.

Though I think in the right system, and the right coach, which I think SA could very well be that right place, Curry could be good. Especially playing next to a guy like TD. But I'd be surprised if it happened.

chin chukwu
11-07-2008, 02:36 PM
i agree. we definitely need a big who compliments tim duncan, is athletic, and plays with a lot of energy. don't forget we still haven't seen ian mahinmi. honestly, i think mahinmi is reason why the SPURS won't go after eddie curry.

Chronz
11-07-2008, 02:53 PM
They could use some post scoring when Duncan sits, and if there is anyone great enough to guard both bigs in the paint its Duncan.

FlawlessKB24
11-07-2008, 03:28 PM
spurs have absolutley nobody worth making a trade for

$ NyC $
11-07-2008, 03:45 PM
I think just being next to such a dominant post player/super-star in Tim Duncan, Eddy will put up 15 ppg 8 rpg.

GSRaider
11-07-2008, 03:47 PM
*Send Al to the Knicks
*Curry goes to the Spurs
*Warriors get Bowen + Oberto

1. Bowen + Oberto contracts run out in 2010.
2. We add one GREAT perimeter defender in Bowen and a hard working, solid low post defender in Oberto.
3. We add much needed depth to our rotation.

Ellis*/Watson/Nelson
Jackson/Azubuike/Marco
Maggs/Bowen/Randolph
Wright/Turiaf
Andris/Oberto

Weezy
11-07-2008, 04:22 PM
*Send Al to the Knicks
*Curry goes to the Spurs
*Warriors get Bowen + Oberto

1. Bowen + Oberto contracts run out in 2010.
2. We add one GREAT perimeter defender in Bowen and a hard working, solid low post defender in Oberto.
3. We add much needed depth to our rotation.

Ellis*/Watson/Nelson
Jackson/Azubuike/Marco
Maggs/Bowen/Randolph
Wright/Turiaf
Andris/Oberto

I would like that trade

JordansBulls
11-07-2008, 05:32 PM

Why not? the Spurs need some more offense and another big body in the paint.

american_yakuza
11-07-2008, 05:38 PM
Curry just doesn't have the hustle. I think the Spurs' championship window is closing quickly and they can't take such a big risk especially this early in the season.

#1Mavericksfan
11-07-2008, 06:07 PM
The Spurs don't even have any tradable pieces outside of there big three and I don't see a team taking a 37 year old Bruce Bowen...If Curry could get into shape then he could help the Spurs but if he doesn't the Spurs are just wasting there time.

Joshtd1
11-07-2008, 06:08 PM
I wouldnt mind Curry, because with Pop, he could be a nice player... but I think with him and Duncan both being primarily down low players, it would clog the paint.

As Jay said, the type of big the Spurs need is an athletic guy, who can run the floor, rebound, and block shots. A Dalembert, or Biedrins type of guy would be the guys that would fit best here.

Our youngster Mahinmi has the potential to be that guy, but he needs to come back from injury.