PDA

View Full Version : Intereting "What Ifs" and fun facts.

superkegger
11-07-2008, 03:10 AM
It's kind of odd how Rajon Rondo ended up in Boston, and how pivotal he was (or rather the pick he would eventually become was).

He was the 21st pick in 2006.

But that pick(rondo) was acquired by the celtics in 2004 from the Lakers along with Gary Payton.

Then that pick (rondo) was traded by the Celtics to Atlanta for Antoine Walker.

Then that pick(rondo) was sent to the Suns in the Joe Johnson deal along with Diaw and what would become Robin Lopez.

Then the suns sent that pick(rondo) back to the Celtics with Brian Grant and Cash for what ended up being Rudy Fernandez.

Weird.

It's also not very far fetched at all for Christ Bosh and Josh Smith to be Detroit Pistons right now. We all know about the 2003 draft debacle. But had they never dealt their pick plus other stuff to get Rasheed Wallace, they had the 17th pick in that draft from the bucks, which Atlanta used on Josh Smith. Now thats scary.

The Shaq trade from LA is pretty interesting too. The lakers got Odom, Caron, Brian Grant, Pick 26 which ended up being Jordan Farmar.

They then traded caron for Kwame.

They then traded Kwame (and others) for Pau.

Plus, had they not traded Shaq, it is concievable they would have fared much better that following year and not been a lottery team, thus they wouldn't have had the 10th pick, thus no Bynum.

So really, when all said and done, in a way, Shaq was turned into Pau, Odom, Bynum, and Farmar...not bad.

It's also pretty ironic that Darko is playing in Memphis, since it was Memphis who traded is draft rights to Detroit in 1997 for Otis Thorpe. It's amazing how sometimes the past can haunt you, when you traded what ended up being the #2 pick in a draft with 4 franchise players for Otis ****ing Thorpe, and then 10 years later, you end up with one guy taken in the top 5 not to turn into a franchise player.
Not only that, but then within that next year, they trade Otis Thorpe and Chris Robinson for Bobby Hurley and Michael Smith. Then within the next year they waive Bobby Hurley. So in reality, they gave detroit the #2 pick for pretty much no gain to themselves. I guess that's why they're the grizz.

Josh Smith, or rather again, the pick that became Josh Smith, also had an interesting journey.

Traded by the bucks for Aleksandar Radojevic, 2002 second round pick (#33-Dan Gadzuric), to the nuggets.

The Nuggets traded Don Reid, Mengke Bateer, the first round pick that would be Josh Smith to Detroit for Rodney White.

Then the Pistons sent Bob Sura, Chris Mills, Zeljko Rebraca and the pick that would become Josh Smith to Atlanta for Sheed.

Stunning.

Also, the Suns and their draft picks. It's been talked about before, but damn.

In an agreement that the bobcats would take Jahidi White from the Suns in the expansion draft, they gave the bobcats 3 million cash and 2005 1st (sean may)

They traded the rights of Luol Deng for the rights to Jackson Vroman,and a first round pick that would become Nate Robinson.

They then traded Qrich and the pick that would become nate for Kurt Thomas.

They then Traded Kurt Thomas, 2008 1st and 2010 1st to seattle for a 9m trade exception.

They traded the rights to rondo along with brian grant for cash considerations and a first round pick that would become rudy fernandez.

Traded Rudy Fernandez for $3 million cash.

Traded Sergio Rodriguez for $3 million cash

Staggering how much talent they gave up for cash...

I'm sure there's a ton more. If you are as bored as I, and want to look at basketball transactions, just go here (http://www.prosportstransactions.com/basketball/Search/Search.php) and have a looksy.

brandonwarne52
11-07-2008, 03:21 AM
Christ Bosh?

He's good, but not that good.;)

Duncan = Donkey
11-07-2008, 03:24 AM
that kurt thomas trade was so fukin stupid it pissed me off so bad...what were they thinking, hey seatlle we will give you kurt thomas and 2 first round picks for nothing.

EddieB
11-07-2008, 03:48 AM
1st thing to comes to mind is Len Bias

BYBLOS88
11-07-2008, 04:01 AM
that stuff is crazy an all but you cant say what if and be upset about what happend because every team has major what if's and it will go on forever and ever because you never know how a player will turn out.

i got a couple huge ones to say though

michael jordan getting passed up by houston and portland but houston got akeem so its not entirely bad but portland what were they thinking

and kobe bryant getting over looked by 12 teams and getting picked 13 overall and on top of that charlotte trades him on draft day

EddieB
11-07-2008, 04:06 AM
What if the Pistons got Melo instead of darko, they could of had melo along side that 2004 championship team and still be strong

lavis
11-07-2008, 07:57 AM
So really, when all said and done, in a way, Shaq was turned into Pau, Odom, Bynum, and Farmar...not bad.

Which turned out to give them what? 0 rings. With Shaq on board they could've gotten two (at least finals easily).

JordansBulls
11-07-2008, 08:20 AM
Which turned out to give them what? 0 rings. With Shaq on board they could've gotten two (at least finals easily).

It's definitely possible.

king4day
11-07-2008, 10:06 AM
that kurt thomas trade was so fukin stupid it pissed me off so bad...what were they thinking, hey seatlle we will give you kurt thomas and 2 first round picks for nothing.

I actually thought it was an outstanding deal.
If not for injury to STAT and Bell, it may have led to a ring. That one didn't backfire at all. We drafted Nate and then dealt him.

The ones that killed me were dealing the 1's for money. Sarver is mad cheap and only thought about himself.
I didn't know anything about Rudy at the time, but I wanted Rondo and we dealt the pick. Very poor management. I hate being reminded of our past draft experiences.

All things would change though had one thing been done and another not. Draft position wouldn't be the same and there's no telling whether teams like Detroit would still picked Smith.

Good thread though.

king4day
11-07-2008, 10:13 AM
that stuff is crazy an all but you cant say what if and be upset about what happend because every team has major what if's and it will go on forever and ever because you never know how a player will turn out.

i got a couple huge ones to say though

michael jordan getting passed up by houston and portland but houston got akeem so its not entirely bad but portland what were they thinking

and kobe bryant getting over looked by 12 teams and getting picked 13 overall and on top of that charlotte trades him on draft day

Portland was thinking, to win a title now, we need Bowie, not Jordan.
No one knew how good Jordan would be. It wasn't a bad pick by the Blazers, it just looks that way now.

lakers4sho
11-07-2008, 11:13 AM

It's definitely possible.

No it's not. Malone and Payton left after 2004, which leaves the Lakers with:

a washed up Devean George
a washed up Horace Grant
a washed up Bryon Russell
Medvedenko
a rookie Luke Walton
Jamal Sampson who I don't even know who the hell he is
Derek Fisher

I want whatever you're smoking if you think that's championship material.

NYKnickFanatic
11-07-2008, 11:37 AM
What if the Pistons got Melo instead of darko, they could of had melo along side that 2004 championship team and still be strong

Hmmm.
If they took Melo, Prince would see limited action.
Would Melo have made that Prince block on Reggie?

:eyebrow:

Hawkeye15
11-07-2008, 01:58 PM
What if Minnesota takes Shawn Marion instead of Wally? What if they kept Ray Allen instead of trading him for Marbury? What if they kept Roy instead of trading him for Foye? What if they don't sign Joe Smith to an illegal deal, and get those 5 first round draft picks back? What if Cassell doesn't go down with an injury against the Lakers in 2004?
Boy, this game is fun. Makes you realize how bad some screwups are

marvILLous
11-07-2008, 02:14 PM
my WHAT IF is IF t-mac decided to stay in toronto with vince..

cmellofan15
11-07-2008, 02:33 PM
What if in 04' Denver kept their pick and got J.Nelson?

What if in 02' we didn't take Tskfhgsjkhlfj (whatever his name is) and got STAT, C.Butler, or even Tayshaun Prince?

What if in 98' we didn't take Raef LaFraentz (?) and got Vince, Dirk, Antawn Jamison, Paul Pierce, hell even Bonzi Wells!?!

What if we didn't pick up Marcus Camby and Antonio McDyess ?

What if we kept Earl Boykins ?

What if we didn't get AI and kept Andre Miller ?

What if we had Billups the whole time and didn't get rid of him in 98' ?

What if D'Antoni was still coach ?

What if we never got T.R. Dunn and Howard Carter, and kept Clyde Drexler ?