PDA

View Full Version : the rockets have the most difficult sked...

airborne_06
11-07-2008, 01:31 AM
Directions:

1. I got all the contending teams in the Western Conference (2008-2009 season) based on their previous and current year’s performance (it’s the evaluator’s hunch, and that’s definitely myself), details as follows:
West Teams Rankings
Houston –Good
New Orleans – Good
Dallas – Good
San Antonio – Good
Memphis – Normal
Los Angeles (Lakers) – Good
Los Angeles (Clippers) – Normal
Sacramento – Bad
Phoenix – Good
Golden State – Normal
Denver – Normal
Utah – Good
Portland – Normal
Minnesota – Bad
Oklahoma City – Bad

2. The 82 games in the league is broken down as follows:
30 games – against East Teams
40 games – against 10 West Teams
12 games – against 4 West Teams (against non-division teams)

3. The analysis focuses only on the 12 games of each team, which will face an opponent only 3 times as compared to other western teams which is 4 times. Contending teams (whose grade is “good”) are the main concern of this assessment, will have 12 games as against four selected teams, this simple evaluation tends to figure out which team has a favorable schedule. (Example: Houston Rockets will face Lakers 4 times while Jazz facing Lakers by 3 games only, therefore the Jazz has an edge over the Rockets)

4. Presented hereunder is the scoring system that measures the “favorability” of the team’s schedule, other things being equal. The higher the points that a team will get, the more favorable its schedule.

As against Good Teams 6pts. (Home) 5pts. (Away)
As against Normal Teams 4pts. (Home) 3pts. (Away)
As against Bad Teams 2pts. (Home) 1pt. (Away)

Assumptions:

1. No injured players, because this may affect the result of the evaluation.
2. Road / Home Streak schedules also affect the veracity of the result, however, this will not consider in our analysis. It focuses only on the frequency of every contending team to face/play their opponents either good, normal or bad team.

Summary of Findings:

1. HOU – got SAC (2-1Home), PHX (2-1Away), POR (2-1Home) and OKL (2-1Away)
2. NOH – got LAC (2-1Away), PHX (2-1Home), UTA (2-1Away) and MIN (2-1Home)
3. LAL – got DAL (2-1Home), SAS (2-1Away), UTA (2-1Home) and OKL (2-1Away)
4. PHX – got HOU (2-1Home), NOH (2-1Away), DEN (2-1Home) and MIN (2-1Away)
5. SAS – got LAL (2-1Home), SAC (2-1Away), UTA (2-1Home) and DEN (2-1Away)
6. DAL – got LAL (2-1Away), GS (2-1Home), POR (2-1Away) and OKL (2-1Home)
7. UTA – got NO (2-1Home), SAS (2-1Away), LAL (2-1Away) and LAC (2-1Home)

Evaluation/Results:
1. UTA – 20 pts. (1st)
2. LAL – 18 pts. (2nd)
3. PHX – 16 pts. (3rd & 4th)
4. SAS – 16 pts. (3rd & 4th)
5. NOH – 14 pts. (5th & 6th)
6. DAL – 14 pts. (5th & 6th)
7. HOU – 12 pts. (7th)

Recommendations/Observations:

1. Houston Rockets has the worst schedule as compared to other contending teams. They will face Sacramento, Oklahoma and Portland only three times, which is unfavorable for the team since these teams are not good teams.
2. While Utah Jazz and the Lakers got the best schedule in this season. They will face contending teams only 3 times and they will abuse the 4 games against bad teams.
3. Southwest Division teams placed on the bottom (4th to 7th) because they are required to face their rivalry division teams 4 times.
4. This evaluation will use to determine the playoff spot, IF the race for the playoffs is very competitive and has a very narrow gap between competing teams.

Note:

Please correct my grammar. I’m not an American, I’m a pure blooded Filipino.

JermanJaysFan
11-07-2008, 01:37 AM
Ok.

DODGERS&LAKERS
11-07-2008, 02:46 AM
I know you went through a lot of trouble to get the information and type this all out, so I will at least give you a response worthy of such work. I have always thought about how that stuff worked out. I would wonder if my team was getting jobbed schedule wise. I have not ever had the time or patience to do the work. So thanks for that. But you should at least have an opinion at the end of all your stats. You just stated a fact and gave no one a real reason to comment or debate the subject.

sportsnutzz
11-07-2008, 02:53 AM
The Jazz play more back to back games than any other team because they try not to schedule Sunday games in Utah. This due to the fact that a certain religion tends not to go to sporting events on Sunday lol. Anyway so you need to take things like that into consideration.

BoltLakerPadre
11-07-2008, 03:00 AM
The Jazz play more back to back games than any other team because they try not to schedule Sunday games in Utah. This due to the fact that a certain religion tends not to go to sporting events on Sunday lol. Anyway so you need to take things like that into consideration.

Yeah back to backs suck, but it sounds like that problem is self imposed. So can't complain about that. Personally I love Laker's Sunday home games, I love our whites.

FlawlessKB24
11-07-2008, 03:11 AM
^yeah the lakers and jazz are opposites when it comes to sundays
they try their best not to play on sunday, and we always play on sunday

JordansBulls
11-07-2008, 09:01 AM
Directions:

1. I got all the contending teams in the Western Conference (2008-2009 season) based on their previous and current year’s performance (it’s the evaluator’s hunch, and that’s definitely myself), details as follows:
West Teams Rankings
Houston –Good
New Orleans – Good
Dallas – Good
San Antonio – Good
Memphis – Normal
Los Angeles (Lakers) – Good
Los Angeles (Clippers) – Normal
Sacramento – Bad
Phoenix – Good
Golden State – Normal
Denver – Normal
Utah – Good
Portland – Normal
Minnesota – Bad
Oklahoma City – Bad

2. The 82 games in the league is broken down as follows:
30 games – against East Teams
40 games – against 10 West Teams
12 games – against 4 West Teams (against non-division teams)

3. The analysis focuses only on the 12 games of each team, which will face an opponent only 3 times as compared to other western teams which is 4 times. Contending teams (whose grade is “good”) are the main concern of this assessment, will have 12 games as against four selected teams, this simple evaluation tends to figure out which team has a favorable schedule. (Example: Houston Rockets will face Lakers 4 times while Jazz facing Lakers by 3 games only, therefore the Jazz has an edge over the Rockets)

4. Presented hereunder is the scoring system that measures the “favorability” of the team’s schedule, other things being equal. The higher the points that a team will get, the more favorable its schedule.

As against Good Teams 6pts. (Home) 5pts. (Away)
As against Normal Teams 4pts. (Home) 3pts. (Away)
As against Bad Teams 2pts. (Home) 1pt. (Away)

Assumptions:

1. No injured players, because this may affect the result of the evaluation.
2. Road / Home Streak schedules also affect the veracity of the result, however, this will not consider in our analysis. It focuses only on the frequency of every contending team to face/play their opponents either good, normal or bad team.

Summary of Findings:

1. HOU – got SAC (2-1Home), PHX (2-1Away), POR (2-1Home) and OKL (2-1Away)
2. NOH – got LAC (2-1Away), PHX (2-1Home), UTA (2-1Away) and MIN (2-1Home)
3. LAL – got DAL (2-1Home), SAS (2-1Away), UTA (2-1Home) and OKL (2-1Away)
4. PHX – got HOU (2-1Home), NOH (2-1Away), DEN (2-1Home) and MIN (2-1Away)
5. SAS – got LAL (2-1Home), SAC (2-1Away), UTA (2-1Home) and DEN (2-1Away)
6. DAL – got LAL (2-1Away), GS (2-1Home), POR (2-1Away) and OKL (2-1Home)
7. UTA – got NO (2-1Home), SAS (2-1Away), LAL (2-1Away) and LAC (2-1Home)

Evaluation/Results:
1. UTA – 20 pts. (1st)
2. LAL – 18 pts. (2nd)
3. PHX – 16 pts. (3rd & 4th)
4. SAS – 16 pts. (3rd & 4th)
5. NOH – 14 pts. (5th & 6th)
6. DAL – 14 pts. (5th & 6th)
7. HOU – 12 pts. (7th)

Recommendations/Observations:

1. Houston Rockets has the worst schedule as compared to other contending teams. They will face Sacramento, Oklahoma and Portland only three times, which is unfavorable for the team since these teams are not good teams.
2. While Utah Jazz and the Lakers got the best schedule in this season. They will face contending teams only 3 times and they will abuse the 4 games against bad teams.
3. Southwest Division teams placed on the bottom (4th to 7th) because they are required to face their rivalry division teams 4 times.
4. This evaluation will use to determine the playoff spot, IF the race for the playoffs is very competitive and has a very narrow gap between competing teams.

Note:

Please correct my grammar. I’m not an American, I’m a pure blooded Filipino.

Sometimes I am not sure if it is better to start off with a difficult schedule or if it is better at the end because you would be playing those teams in the playoffs.

king4day
11-07-2008, 09:52 AM
Gotta play'em eventually.
It does hurt tho having to work on chemistry when playing really good teams.

leftymo
11-07-2008, 10:43 AM
You rated Portland as bad and the Clippers as normal? That doesn't make any sense since Portland just beat Houston (the easy games).

But I was going to start another thread on this matter, but nothing to do with WHO they play (b/c obviously its a lot of work and you already did it), but a comparison of who plays the most road back to backs, and overall back to backs among the contenders. The most important thing to consider is the tremendous difference between the teams in the west vs. the teams in the east. I would think that these eastern contenders should go through the same toughness as the west does.

Back to Backs (overall)

1. Jazz - 20
2. Suns - 19
2. Rockets - 19
4. Lakers - 18
4. Spurs - 18
6. Hornets - 17
6. Toronto - 17
8. Celtics - 16
9. Mavericks - 15
9. Pistons - 15

Road Back to Backs

1. Suns - 11
2. Lakers - 10
3. Hornets - 9
4. Rockets - 8
5. Spurs - 7
5. Jazz - 7
7. Celtics - 6
8. Mavericks - 5
8. Raptors - 5
8. Pistons - 5

Sweeping a road back to back is extremely tough, and the Suns & Lakers have the most of them this year.

Kabowdos
11-07-2008, 11:13 AM
Everyone has a difficult schedule. It HOU is good like people think they then they should win those difficult games. HOU is not as good as people think. Just watch.

SouljahPhil...
11-07-2008, 11:21 AM
Thanks for the info....Nice work....

Im thankful of the lakers schedule...

That's just the way it is...Sometimes you are favored sometimes your not....Just hope the schedule makers improve your schedule next year...