PDA

View Full Version : Wolf or Garland

Jermster
11-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Witch pitcher would you rather have, Randy Wolf or Jon Garland ,if the Astros were only going to get one major pitcher?

Jon Garland: He was gonna be a Houston Astro, but in the 2006 offseason that would have sent Willy Tavereas, Jason Hirsh, and Taylor Buchholz to the Astros but the trade failed when the White Sox General Manager became concerned with Buchholz's health. Garland is 29 and for the past 6 seasons, he has pitched in at least 32 games and has pitched 190+ innings. Also, with Garland, you actually have a number 2 pitcher.

Randy Wolf: Randy was great since we got him in July, but he has had his injures and could spend most of next year, if he stays in houston, on the disabled list. Does that remind you of Jason Jennings who started only 18 games and had a ERA of 6.46. The 2009 season could be the same as it was this year if we keep Wolf.

Witch rotation sounds better?
Oswalt, Garland, Rodriguez, Backe, Moehler
or
Oswalt, Wolf, Rodriguez, Backe, Moehler

lilboytwister99
11-06-2008, 07:17 PM
Id take Garland. Hes young, still can eat up innings, and can surely hold his own in the NL.

I wish we could have landed him in 2006.

djohn2oo8
11-06-2008, 08:15 PM
I would actually prefer garland, but wolf is only 3 years older than garland. It would be great if the stros could keep wolf, sign garland, and sign mike hampton to a 1 year deal. Oswalt, Wolf, Garland, Moehler, Hampton. I don't know about pettitte,

djohn2oo8
11-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Wade already met with randy wolf and mike hampton's agents. So whats probably gonna happen is we keep wolf, sign hampton, and go after maybe a mark mulder or freddy garcia

Jermster
11-06-2008, 08:35 PM
Wade already met with randy wolf and mike hampton's agents. So whats probably gonna happen is we keep wolf, sign hampton, and go after maybe a mark mulder or freddy garcia

If we let wolf go, we can get a draft pick for him. Why not go after a Jason Jennings type with a invite to spring training or incentive laden contract.

native_astro
11-06-2008, 09:48 PM
I would rather sign Jon Garland than Wolf. Randy Wolf and his shoulder have been on the DL way too many times in his career.

If we were going to take a risk on someone then maybe go after Mulder, Hampton, Colon, or Freddy Garcia. All of those guys are low risk high reward.

Jermster
11-06-2008, 10:38 PM
I would rather sign Jon Garland than Wolf. Randy Wolf and his shoulder have been on the DL way too many times in his career.

If we were going to take a risk on someone then maybe go after Mulder, Hampton, Colon, or Freddy Garcia. All of those guys are low risk high reward.

Mulder, Hampton, Colon, and Freddy Garcia can go into spring training and fight for the 5th spot.

TheRedMarauder
11-07-2008, 02:20 PM
Probably a toss up, but Wolf is already familiar with the organization and was pretty good for us.