PDA

View Full Version : Brandon Phillips wins Gold Glove

IowaAJ
11-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Congrats Brandon well deserved. It is nice to see his hardwork defensively finally get him an award.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20081105&content_id=3665356&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

After another spectacular season in the field, Reds second baseman Brandon Phillips was named a recipient of a National League Gold Glove on Wednesday.
The 27-year-old is a first-time winner of the trophy for defensive excellence.

For the second consecutive season, Phillips led NL second basemen in fielding percentage (.990). He committed seven errors in 706 total chances and held a 78-game errorless streak from April 10-July 8, the second longest streak among second basemen behind the 82-game streak by Pittsburgh's Freddy Sanchez.

Phillips is the first Reds player to win a Rawlings Gold Glove since second baseman Pokey Reese in 2000.

As a hitter, Phillips batted .261 with 21 home runs, 78 RBIs and 23 stolen bases. He missed the final 17 games of the season with a broken right index finger.

Freel for prez
11-06-2008, 01:48 AM
Congrats B-Phil

That is amazing and well deserved!!! The guys who judge for Gold Glove winners obviously watch ALL players in the Majors. B-Phil not only makes all the simple plays but he can make the best of the best plays too. The guy is looking like one of the biggest steals ever for a 2B...especially when you only give up Jeffrey Stevens??? (I could be wrong) He also can hit! Forget the fact that hes in G.A.B.P. (Great American Batting Practice) The guy has very good potential to be a 5-tool player.

Some of My "CrAzY" Ideas
I hope someone can offer us a GREAT deal for some of our young talent. There are a lot of great free agents out there also. Our front office needs to make a big signing or trade this off season if we want to consider ourselves contenders. I know your thinking "why trade some of the great young talent we have for one player" Well I guess its because I'm sick of losing...I'm also sick of Cincinnatians telling me the Bungles have a good franchise...Bengals have never won a Super Bowl...Regardless of how long the Reds have been around...the Reds have 5 W.S. rings...not to mention arguably the greatest sports team ever assembled! This city should be ashamed at their selves for never going to ball games. We have the 1st ever Professional Baseball team, last Ring was in 1990, 19 years ago...Try being a Cubs fan whose Grandfather has never seen a championship, they haven't won a ring in 101 years. Cincinnati step up and love your Redleggers! We have some great future players right now!

jlohm1
11-07-2008, 01:41 AM
its about time!!!!!

congratulations Brandon!!!