PDA

View Full Version : 2010 FA salary question

powpow
11-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Alright, its no mystery that in the summer of 2010 there is a insane amount of talent that will possible be free agents.....theres to many names to bother listing them.........anyways, my question is why are teams trying to clear space to sign these players? I know they neeed cap room to sign these huge contracts, but cant a team just do a sign and trade if they dont have the cap space?

So why are teams clearing all of this space , if the can just do a sign and trade instead?

b_rad23
11-04-2008, 07:05 PM
For one- the value of players it would take to acquire a Lebron, Wade or Bosh would absolutely gut a team. But there are also more reasons that don't even need to be brought up.

Gibby23
11-04-2008, 07:22 PM
For one- the value of players it would take to acquire a Lebron, Wade or Bosh would absolutely gut a team. But there are also more reasons that don't even need to be brought up.

Not really, if you have a contract of like an Iverson who is making 20 million and has 1 year left you could do a S & T straight up for Iverson without gutting the team. But in a S & T the team losing the FA usually doesn't want a dead contract for 1 more year because they want to replace the player they are about to lose.

powpow
11-04-2008, 07:50 PM
but players who sign with another team dont get the maximum contract........they need to sign with their original team or do a sign and trade to get the max contract.........which, most of these playerswill want...............so in 2010 i forsee players/teams trying to do a sign and trade rather than just signing with a team.....

powpow
11-04-2008, 07:51 PM
Also, teams are going to get screwed anyways......face it , not all of the "star" players are going to stay with thier teams.... so why wouldnt a team want to do a sign and trade and get some good players in return instead og getting nothing?

b_rad23
11-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Not really, if you have a contract of like an Iverson who is making 20 million and has 1 year left you could do a S & T straight up for Iverson without gutting the team. But in a S & T the team losing the FA usually doesn't want a dead contract for 1 more year because they want to replace the player they are about to lose.

Which is exactly why you would have to gut your team to trade for a Lebron, Wade or Bosh. They'll be entering their primes as the top or one of the top players at their positions and they won't accept a deal for Kwame and a 2nd rounder. It'd take top young talent and any team willing to trade Lebron or Wade has huge balls.

b_rad23
11-04-2008, 07:58 PM
Also, teams are going to get screwed anyways......face it , not all of the "star" players are going to stay with thier teams.... so why wouldnt a team want to do a sign and trade and get some good players in return instead og getting nothing?

Because, as the name suggests, sign and trades begin with signing the player. If you could get that player to agree to sign with you in the first place, why wouldn't you keep him?

cameroncrazies2
11-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Because, as the name suggests, sign and trades begin with signing the player. If you could get that player to agree to sign with you in the first place, why wouldn't you keep him?

Excellent point.

I've always felt I am quite knowledgeable about the NBA CBA and all that stuff, but here's my question...teams like New Jersey, New York, etc are creating all this cap room, but can't they only sign Lebron to a maximum contract? So if they both offer him a maximum contract, is it going to be the exact same amount? Then Lebron just decides between the teams?

powpow
11-04-2008, 08:40 PM
B rad23................usually sign and trades are done for that reason, so the player can get the max amount but then is imediately traded.....thats why they sign the contract because they know they are going to get traded..............players cant sign with a new team outright and get the highest amount possible, thats why the sign and trade....sign with original team and get traded to another team with the highest max contract possible......lebron has to do 1 of two things to get a max contract.......sign and stay with the cavs or sign and trade to another team

powpow
11-04-2008, 08:46 PM
I agree if u could get a player to sign with u, then just sign him..........but thats not always the case...hence the sign and trade..........which was my original point/post......why are teams clearing out all this space when u can just sign and trade........also mentioned earlier, I know ur not going to get the same talent back, but u more than likely could get some pretty good players

powpow
11-04-2008, 09:41 PM
heres an example.........dont freak out people, Im not saying this would ever happen just an example........2010--------Phx s+t amare, ships him to the bulls for L. Deng, Noah, and pick........this works out money wise..........now, im not suggesting this is fair in talent, but if ur phx wouldnt u want at least some good talent in return like deng instead of getting nothing????

powpow
11-05-2008, 08:13 PM
bmnbnmb

SteveNash
11-05-2008, 10:12 PM
If a player has intentions to leave, it shouldn't be too hard to bring the player in with a sign and trade. When Grant Hill left for Orlando all the gave up was Ben Wallace and Chucky Atkins. Ben Wallace obviously became an all star, but at the time the two were role players.

There are a couple reasons why teams clear space for 2010.

Owners want an excuse to rebuild.

Most owners don't want to be way above the salary cap.

JIDsanity
11-05-2008, 10:23 PM
Unrestricted, and restricted are 2 different things

IndyRealist
11-05-2008, 10:44 PM
With a max contract player, the original team has very little incentive for a sign and trade.

1) If your star player is leaving regardless, then you're rebuilding. Why take back contracts when you don't have to? His $15M or so is coming off your books anyway.
2) If you're the only one who can offer a max deal, you'd simply refuse to do a sign and trade, and the player's only option of getting a max deal is with you.
3) If several teams can offer him a max deal, and you can offer an extra year but he wants to leave, why do either him or the other team any favors? Again see #1.
4) Odds are, they had to either gut their team to get under the cap, or they're going to gut their team in a sign and trade. Either way, you want to make it as hard as possible for the other team.

powpow
11-06-2008, 05:18 PM
INdy I totally see your points...why help a player out if hes going to leave u?.....i get that, but a team would be stupid to llose a player when they could get 2 startes in return , although they might not be the same talent level.......as i stated before, is ur team going to turn down, say luol deng, noah and a pick for your superstar when he wants to leave....ur not going to turn that doen and get zero in return

Hawkeye15
11-06-2008, 07:31 PM
Sign and trades don't work out unless you are going into rebuilding mode, and you are willing to take on a bunch of crappy contracts, suffer for a year or two, then shed them. Like the OKC for Lewis deal. They are just so complicated, they never get done

powpow
11-11-2008, 05:27 PM
i dont think seattlegot anything in return in that sign and trade.....i mean that literally

Anthony Flores
11-11-2008, 05:46 PM
I dont think anyones going anywere mabey Mr.Wade and Anthony to change scenary but...