PDA

View Full Version : Marbury to Stay, but not Play

King Henrik
11-04-2008, 04:37 PM
The New York Knicks have no plans to do anything with Stephon Marbury, except pay him his $21.9 million salary and give him a great seat to watch all their games.

Knicks coach Mike D'Antoni and team president Donnie Walsh said that they will not waive, buy out or trade Marbury. They also will not let him play in games, unless there is an injury to their top three guards, Chris Duhon, Jamal Crawford or Nate Robinson.

After Walsh met with both D'Antoni and Marbury on Monday, the Knicks announced Tuesday that they feel the issue is dead. Marbury will be inactive until further notice.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=3682264&campaign=rss&source=NBAHeadlines

njnets
11-04-2008, 05:06 PM
lol ill be inactive for $21.9 million :D

barreleffact
11-04-2008, 05:12 PM
^ me too...why not? The knicks are horrible, they treated him horribly, and he is entitled to the money from his contract. I would want every penny after the situation with his father passing away. He is actually the one in control even though he cant control how thy see him nor play him, but nobody wants to pay someone 21 mil for doing nothing. He just has to sit and wait and he'll get his money and then get signed by someone else. its not like any other team hates him...

AFlagRules
11-04-2008, 05:22 PM
This won't be good for his career though. Sure anyone would like to be paid 21.9 to sit on the bench, but think about it..Would you actually enjoy it? You love to play the game you love and sitting on the bench making any money isn't worth it. I bet you if you asked Marbury whether he wanted to play making 10 mill or sit on the bench and make 21.9, he would tell you he would rather play for 10 mill.

barreleffact
11-04-2008, 05:29 PM
This won't be good for his career though. Sure anyone would like to be paid 21.9 to sit on the bench, but think about it..Would you actually enjoy it? You love to play the game you love and sitting on the bench making any money isn't worth it. I bet you if you asked Marbury whether he wanted to play making 10 mill or sit on the bench and make 21.9, he would tell you he would rather play for 10 mill.

but he's doin it more for respect than anything else. if they arent gonna give him his respect, then punish them as best you can. whats a year to him at this point? people know what he's capable of, and they know not to even expect his full capabilities anymore. he wont sign a contract for more than 6 mil a year after this. i guarantee you that, so he might as well milk all the money he can and enjoy an extended vacation

JonnyBrav000
11-04-2008, 05:37 PM
The knicks are stupid *******s, if I was Marbury I would milk every penny too, yes I would want to be playing but I would not give in, because when it comes down to it they are hurting paying him for nothing, and it is their responsibility to pay him that money, they knew this when they traded for him, so now they don't want to follow thru with the contract so they try to punish him, what a stupid move, play the guy and next year he is gone.

b_rad23
11-04-2008, 07:54 PM
He deserves better :pity:. Especially with Chris Duhon starting on his team.

REKAL
11-04-2008, 08:52 PM
how annoying to waste talent on the bench

dangrant75
11-04-2008, 10:47 PM
He's hurting his next contract by not accepting a buyout. He gonna have a year of not playing, being in his 30's and his already perceived attitude. This is about Walsh/Dantoni taking back the control of this team. They would rather lose with their young guys learning than give in to a guy who hasn't done anything team wise since he's been in the NBA. Dantoni/Walsh inherited this club from Isiah and this is the beginning of the dismantling. Lee and the Italian kid are probably the only safe players going foward.

Lakers4ItAll
11-04-2008, 10:55 PM
This is BS NY needs to let him go

LeBrowns
11-05-2008, 01:09 AM
Stephon isnt the best teamate in the world. But for christ's sake, youre going to start CHRIS DUHON over him?!?!

PhxGiant
11-05-2008, 01:33 AM
This is ridiculous, and an insult to Marbury. I'm guessing they want to have his expiring contract to themselves and thats why they wont buy him out or try to workout a trade. Its a shame how much the business side of the league ruins the actual game these days.

IndyRealist
11-05-2008, 02:19 AM
I'm thinking Marbury won't accept a buyout at less than full value, which would defeat the purpose of buying him out.

1) This is hurting Marbury's next contract. He's seen as an antagonist. People are going to blame his 'attitude' for this, justified or not.
2) He's not getting playing time. He can't show other teams he can still play, and he's basically going to go an entire year without playing any basketball. Even if he does sign with someone else next year, he's going to have a lot of rust to shake off.
3) If he doesn't show up to sit at the end of the bench, they could cite breach of contract and cut him loose without paying him another dime. The Knicks may be counting on his 'attitude' doing the dirty work for them.
4) If you're not going to bring him back next year, what's the point in playing him? Let your young guys learn to play together, without Marbury, and concentrate on building your team. It may cost you a handful of wins this year, but will save you tons of headaches in the long run.

Hellcrooner
11-05-2008, 03:57 AM
They are been stupid, they should have let him go out avery night 40 minutos and allow him 30 shots, so he would score like 35 a game and raise his value to the infinite.

With ths and his 20 million expiring they wudl have got in a trade whatever disgrunteld star tha tappeared on the market by gerburaryu.

NYstateofMinD
11-05-2008, 11:39 AM
Hellcrooner....your ignorant. You most likely have not seen him play..before they brought in Crawford and Curry Marbury led them to the 8th seed with Houston injured, and Tim Thomas as his second best player. Im a Knicks fan and know hes the most talented player on that team, and I would love to have him. I don't want D'Antoni as our coach because his system doesn't work. They should have gotten Scott Skiles and bring back that 90's concept of defense. The Knicks play Randolph who shoots 20 shots..makes 6-7..why? Marbury has shown before Larry Brown that he could lead a talented less team to the playoffs averaging 19 and 9. Sorry I got off topic, but being a Brooklyn native we do have stubborness but Steph did nothing wrong. If they don't want him..they should buy him out for the full amount this is why I ****** hate Dolan.

cubulls
11-05-2008, 12:12 PM
Marbury will get his revenge next year.

NYKnickFanatic
11-05-2008, 12:18 PM
Marbury will get his revenge next year.

Yes he will.
And I will :laugh2: at my Knicks team, when he does.

cubulls
11-05-2008, 12:27 PM
Yes he will.
And I will :laugh2: at my Knicks team, when he does.

Its going to be pretty sweet watching him light them up for 30/10 :D

NYK All the Way
11-05-2008, 12:45 PM
like I've said before...WTF ARE YOU DOING D'ANTONI??? You're trying to make the playoffs and you're sitting the best player on the team when he comes into camp in the best shape of his life??? REALLY??? Not to mention the fact that you played him for 20 mpg during the preseason and now he's inactive??? Just admit that you have a grudge against the guy, cuz honestly no one in their right mind would be handling the situation in the way that you have.

Missing56&33
11-05-2008, 06:07 PM
marbury alread said hes going to italy next year this is his last year in the league. So sitting all year wont be that bad. His skill will be a little rusty but i think marbury wants to have fun playing again and the nba is no fun for him. He just wants his money at this point. every penny of it. I believe he will remain professional and ready to go if ask because he wants give the knicks he best effort in his last year of his contract.

KobeIs
11-05-2008, 06:48 PM
Man thats the life. Get paid 21 mil and go watch knick games.

lol, well iono bout the knick games part