PDA

View Full Version : should astros...

acohn1230
11-04-2008, 01:36 PM
dangle jose valverde infront of the mets, who have a surplus of young pitching talent, or other teams?

valverde would be cheap compared to FA closers like k-rod, and prove more valuable and reliable than huston street (on market) and brian fuentes (FA)

if we got this deal done, it would essentially be trading qualls, gutierrez, and burke for a very, very, good prospect(s).

sep11ie
11-04-2008, 02:54 PM
I dont think the Mets have a surplus of young anything. Who are you talking about?

Jermster
11-04-2008, 03:48 PM
Another team to consider is the Los Angeles Angels who could be losing Francisco Rodriguez and would need a closer if they do not have a MLB ready closer yet.

Agstro
11-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Another team to consider is the Los Angeles Angels who could be losing Francisco Rodriguez and would need a closer if they do not have a MLB ready closer yet.

And our major league ready closer would be?????????

Jermster
11-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Nieve?
Paulino?

Felipe Paulino because of his arm, he has hit 102 mph on the gun.

acohn1230
11-04-2008, 06:36 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/prospects/features/265152.html

8 of their top 10 prospects before the 2008 season were pitchers....

laxtonto
11-04-2008, 06:54 PM
Being pitchers on the top 10 and being a SP ready to pitch in the Majors are 2 different things,,,
Deolis Guerro is a Twin, Eddie Kunz is a reliver, Brant Rustich is in A ball, vineyard had season ending shoulder surgery. Parnell has UGLY #'s....

Mulvey, Humber and Niese are all possibilities but could wind up in the rotation for the Mets if Perez leaves.

But is losing your closer worth gaining a guy that has never been a SP at the MLB level? If you are bowing the team up completely yes, if not no.

brewersfan729
11-04-2008, 07:35 PM
Mulvey, Humber are all possibilities but could wind up in the rotation for the Mets if Perez leaves.

Mulvey and Humber were part of the Santana package.

laxtonto
11-04-2008, 07:41 PM
Mulvey and Humber were part of the Santana package.

Make sense... Thought the AAA affiliates didn't look right for the Mets

jsmith.astros
11-04-2008, 08:48 PM
The Perfect Trade:
Valverde for Andy Sonnanstine
1. The rays need a decent closer now that they are competitive
2. Their rotation would not suffer without him (Kazmir, Shields, Garza, Price, Jackson or Niemann) pdg!!
3. We would be losing an experienced closer but gaining a future ace (25 yrs old, 25-10 with a 2.56 era and 463 k's in 495.2 innings carrer minors) pdg!!
4. A good starting pitcher is more valuable than a good closer (ex. 2008 rays vs 2008 astros)
5. Possible closers for us: Geary or (maybe W. Wright, Paulino, or Gervacio), or sign type b free agent Joe Biemel (i know he has a pretty good fastball, there are probably others fa's who we could use as a closer)

native_astro
11-04-2008, 10:09 PM
The Perfect Trade:
2. Their rotation would not suffer without him (Kazmir, Shields, Garza, Price, Jackson or Niemann) pdg!!
3. We would be losing an experienced closer but gaining a future ace (25 yrs old, 25-10 with a 2.56 era and 463 k's in 495.2 innings carrer minors) pdg!!
4. A good starting pitcher is more valuable than a good closer (ex. 2008 rays vs 2008 astros)
5. Possible closers for us: Geary or (maybe W. Wright, Paulino, or Gervacio), or sign type b free agent Joe Biemel (i know he has a pretty good fastball, there are probably others fa's who we could use as a closer)

I get what you're saying, but I don't think the Astros should part with Valverde unless they have someone that can step in.

Paulino might be the closer of the future, but do you really want to give a rookie coming off an injury the job out of spring training.

Geary might work though if we had a setup man(maybe Brocail).

If (these are big "if's") the Astros traded Jose Valverde to the Rays then I would rather nab Wade Davis and J.P Howell.

Howell would give us another arm for the pen, and Wade Davis would give us a future #1 or 2 starter.

Teams like the Mets, Indians, Cardinals(unlikely since in the same division. Brewers as well), Rangers, Tigers, and Angels need a closer and might look at Valverde as cheaper one year option.

If the Astros put him on the block I would love to see them nab Nick Adenhart from the Angel if they could, but unlikely.

Valverde probably stays put.

Big_T
11-05-2008, 11:36 AM
The Perfect Trade:

agreed

Big_T
11-05-2008, 11:38 AM
although i'd like peavy, and i haven't followed other teams closely so i don't know what the padres have, but tejada, valverde chris johnson or wigi and all the young talent we don't have might get him.

laxtonto
11-05-2008, 11:56 AM
although i'd like peavy, and i haven't followed other teams closely so i don't know what the padres have, but tejada, valverde chris johnson or wigi and all the young talent we don't have might get him.

SD wants to drop payroll...

Tejeda alone is making more than what Peavy and Adrian Gonzalez make combined.... Much less Valverde and Wigi after arbitration

The Astros just don't match up well... no farm system, very few if any long term cheap controllable players

joel
11-05-2008, 01:04 PM
SD wants to drop payroll...

Tejeda alone is making more than what Peavy and Adrian Gonzalez make combined.... Much less Valverde and Wigi after arbitration

The Astros just don't match up well... no farm system, very few if any long term cheap controllable players

wig and valverede is what the indians need. the indians have prospects. the padres want prospects.....

jsmith.astros
11-05-2008, 07:26 PM
wig and valverede is what the indians need. the indians have prospects. the padres want prospects.....

so maybe a three way deal where we get peavy, we give the indians valverde and wiggington, and they give the padres aaron laffey and david huff

maybe

UnWantedTheory
11-06-2008, 04:30 AM
thats steep

pal1090
11-17-2008, 02:13 PM
False! we can get legit players for trading valverde, sorry acohn, but i think valverde is a bit better than chad qualls, and i am sick of seeing prospects, i want proven players...not people who MIGHT be good..

acohn1230
11-18-2008, 08:28 PM
well, pal1090....

our pitching staff behind oswalt is a laughing stock, and we don't have wont have any help from our farm system for years to come (thanks to purpura). with that said, it will be extremely difficult, if not impossible, to make the playoffs with this current team, in addition to the notion that ed wade is trying to cut payroll (therefore, we wont be able to sign many if any FA)

wit that said, it may be best to look towards our future. valverde is under contract for another season, and we'll probably lose him after that (bc wade wants to keep our payroll down). why not get something for him for our future? were not going to win now wwith the pitching staff we have, so we sh

acohn1230
11-18-2008, 08:29 PM
**so we should build for the future