PDA

View Full Version : Karl's not going to start J.R.... instead Jones or Carter?

dnnug
11-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Except that might not be the starting five, according to coach George Karl, who is not a Nuggets vice president or Boris Spassky.

Karl said after practice that he might start Dahntay Jones at shooting guard or use Anthony Carter in the starting lineup with Billups, and he might keep bringing Smith off the bench, or, or . . .
Denverpost

what the heck it he thinking? Has he lost his mind?. I wouldn't mind seeing Jones start but not Carter for Christs sake. The player that really should start is J.R Smith.

SUNDUNDIDIT
11-04-2008, 12:46 PM
fire george karl!!!

Nugget Tony
11-04-2008, 01:23 PM
if he keeps AC in the starting lineup...then I can say for sure its time to....FIRE this piece of crap coach....Get real......

BRAVE KID
11-04-2008, 01:24 PM
Once he joins the team, Billups will start at the point. Ultimately, the Nuggets' plan is to start reserve J.R. Smith at shooting guard, but Karl suggested defensive-minded Dahntay Jones might start alongside Billups for a few games.

that is all I am taking of it..a few games.

dnnug
11-04-2008, 01:31 PM
it didn't say that in the denverpost but that makes since now.

also I didn't want to start a new thread but here is some interesting reactions to the trade via espn beat writers

John Berry-"The Nuggets got just what the doctor ordered -- a point guard who isn't concerned with numbers but is all about winning. They are still one of the most talented teams in the league, and Billups will be the leader on and off the floor that they haven't had in years."

Chad Ford- "Adding Chauncey Billups at the point should help balance out their roster to the point that the Nuggets should be able to eke past either the Mavs, Suns or Blazers for a playoff spot. "

Marc Stein-"I thought Denver could snag No. 8 in the West even before this. Now? That's likely with the Nuggets getting the veteran PG so badly needed in Portland ... though just getting to the playoffs ain't going to be enough to justify the money committed to bringing Chauncey home."

John berry doesn't surprise me but Ford I believe has always been a critic of the nuggets.

Randy West
11-04-2008, 01:34 PM
lol

SUNDUNDIDIT
11-04-2008, 01:38 PM
I'll be a little lenient if Dahntay Jones starts, but i'll still be heated like mu****a.....But if A.C. starts??? If Mother****in A.C. starts?????, then NUGGETS FANS, we got to campaign...WE GOT TOO!!! Lets stand together, and get KARL THE **** OUTTA HERE.....I'm going to e-mail everybody that is close to the nuggets and bring it to their attention......I would have a lot more respect for A.C. if he came off the bench...I think he would be great off the BENCH.....But if he f%^$in starts, GOT DAMIT, we got to get George gone....We got to get him GONE....Give him a kick in the @$$ on his way out if he starts AC!!!!!!!!!!

Randy West
11-04-2008, 01:42 PM
I really think JR is the man coming off the bench

Carter is almost like Salmons in Sacramento.......you don't start him and his production is halved.

But Carter can't play the sg position and I am sure Billups will be running the offense so Carter is the odd man out...........maybe depending on the match ups you could play Carter at sg but really

BRAVE KID
11-04-2008, 01:47 PM
it didn't say that in the denverpost but that makes since now.

also I didn't want to start a new thread but here is some interesting reactions to the trade via espn beat writers

John Berry-"The Nuggets got just what the doctor ordered -- a point guard who isn't concerned with numbers but is all about winning. They are still one of the most talented teams in the league, and Billups will be the leader on and off the floor that they haven't had in years."

Chad Ford- "Adding Chauncey Billups at the point should help balance out their roster to the point that the Nuggets should be able to eke past either the Mavs, Suns or Blazers for a playoff spot. "

Marc Stein-"I thought Denver could snag No. 8 in the West even before this. Now? That's likely with the Nuggets getting the veteran PG so badly needed in Portland ... though just getting to the playoffs ain't going to be enough to justify the money committed to bringing Chauncey home."

John berry doesn't surprise me but Ford I believe has always been a critic of the nuggets.it did say that in the denver post, source (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_10891072).

chauncey is going to make this team a true winner..so suck it up Melo and K-mart, AI was awesome and I can't complain about anything about AI but chauncey is a winner he is going to help this team go far, he has got the ring to back it up.

BRAVE KID
11-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Carter doesn't even play the 2-guard no way Karl is that dumb to start him there, now with Jones it's a different story but jones doesn't bother me as much but the way I see it, J.R will eventually take the spot.

dnnug
11-04-2008, 01:51 PM
must be a different article anyway its all a mute point. All that matters is the nugs just improved their chances on competing. don't get me wrong I loved AI but he just wasn't the missing piece we all thought he was when he was traded here.

SUNDUNDIDIT
11-04-2008, 01:55 PM
I really think JR is the man coming off the bench

Carter is almost like Salmons in Sacramento.......you don't start him and his production is halved.

But Carter can't play the sg position and I am sure Billups will be running the offense so Carter is the odd man out...........maybe depending on the match ups you could play Carter at sg but really

J.R. potential is inhibited if Karl doesn't put the risk in startin him.....We don;t need Carter startin....Carter is not a reliable shooter, and he's old...And tryin to guard a 6'6 SG from the Lakers, he would get handled.....Carter has started his career as a backup, he only became a starter for this team because Chukcy Atkins was hurt....He is not a starter, he;s a backup.....Karl would be the biggest idiot, if he started AC beside Billups....I would be for Dahntay Jones or even Kleiza before AC.

J.R. needs to start.....Karl needs to experiment with JR startin NOW, while we are in the beginnin stages of the season, instead of tryin to experiment later on in the season.

Randy West
11-04-2008, 01:56 PM
Carter doesn't even play the 2-guard no way Karl is that dumb to start him there, now with Jones it's a different story but jones doesn't bother me as much but the way I see it, J.R will eventually take the spot.

I think it gives Karl a new toy to play with basically

It will take a week or two but he will get it sorted out

Maybe Karl and JR are not on each others buddy lists

But really the coach should be trying to put the best team on the floor

Randy West
11-04-2008, 02:01 PM
J.R. potential is inhibited if Karl doesn't put the risk in startin him.....We don;t need Carter startin....Carter is not a reliable shooter, and he's old...And tryin to guard a 6'6 SG from the Lakers, he would get handled.....Carter has started his career as a backup, he only became a starter for this team because Chukcy Atkins was hurt....He is not a starter, he;s a backup.....Karl would be the biggest idiot, if he started AC beside Billups....I would be for Dahntay Jones or even Kleiza before AC.

J.R. needs to start.....Karl needs to experiment with JR startin NOW, while we are in the beginnin stages of the season, instead of tryin to experiment later on in the season.

I don't think Cater needs to start at the sg position that is for sure
You can't really start him at pg with Billups coming in

I would like to see Smith get the look at starting but Karl really must like him coming off the bench for some reason. Jones would be good if you need some defensive energy

I think the line up over the next two weeks is going to see a couple different looks at the starter in the sg position

Carter just happens to be playing well right now........I think Karl is trying to find him some minutes wherever he can at this point

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-04-2008, 02:11 PM
Karl never learns... :pity:

Wruff
11-04-2008, 03:01 PM
JR's our best player off the bench and Karl doesn't want to give that up. Though JR will surely see starters minutes (or Karl should be beheaded).

Karl's handling of JR Smith leaves much to be considered. I think though that ownership/management has made it clear to Karl that the time is now for JR Smith. Wether Karl likes it or not JR just became our 2nd option on offense.

JR Smith should start with D Jones the 6th man now. Pull your f'n head out Karl.

SlowMo
11-04-2008, 03:55 PM
JR absolutely deserves the starting spot. I guess Jones could start to match up for stronger D, but I would rather see JR start and get going early. He always seems like he needs a few shots that miss before he starts hittin em. Plus, Jones, even though he is a D-player, looks to shoot whenever we pass to him, and he doesn't have a great shot.

AC starting at SG...? I don't understand this idea at all. I would fume about it, but I think everyone already stated what I think as well. :mad:

C-Dub
11-04-2008, 04:38 PM
umm, i have nothing to say to this except karl is still a duech

RealNUGGETSFAN
11-04-2008, 04:58 PM
You have got to be kidding me... First off J.R. Smith is great and is getting better in all areas but he is not the next coming of Jordan just yet. You watch the first few games of with CB as PG, JR will make some dumb mistakes and CB will have to take him under his wing.

Second, GK for the last few years has had no true PG and finding a chemistry with people takes awhile, not over night.

Third AC is a much better player so far this year then he has been. Anyone see that sick block shot last game and his hustling plays on offense.

Fourth, how many in this forum have actually played Basketball, coached basketball. Some of you have no basic ideas of how a team plays.

adamsison
11-04-2008, 09:13 PM
I like Jr coming of the bench as a Manu Ginobli type role. 6th man with starter minutes.

But Dahntay Jones should start over AC. Ac gives us a solid BACK UP point guard.

Very excited with the Trade. GO NUGGETS!

SlowMo
11-04-2008, 10:06 PM
You have got to be kidding me... First off J.R. Smith is great and is getting better in all areas but he is not the next coming of Jordan just yet. You watch the first few games of with CB as PG, JR will make some dumb mistakes and CB will have to take him under his wing.

Second, GK for the last few years has had no true PG and finding a chemistry with people takes awhile, not over night.

Third AC is a much better player so far this year then he has been. Anyone see that sick block shot last game and his hustling plays on offense.

Fourth, how many in this forum have actually played Basketball, coached basketball. Some of you have no basic ideas of how a team plays.

Ok, first, you don't know the people in this forum so don't start assuming that you are smarter and have more basketball experience. I have played for many years, and did coach for two years (even if it was only elementary school).

Second, I agree that AC is a much better player so far. What we've seen this year is a better shot, and more awareness on defense. However, he is still a Point Guard. And starting an average PG (AC), next to an all-start PG (Billups) without using a shooting guard makes very little sense.

I wouldn't mind having both AC and Billups in at certain times in the game, but not to start. JR provides a more balanced set up for the offense.

And if JR doesn't start, Perhaps D-Jones in is a good choice. He is a better defender and rebounder than AC. However, I do think AC has a better shot, and makes smarter offensive plays. Which is exactly why he should play at the point (as a backup) not as a SG.

SUNDUNDIDIT
11-04-2008, 10:13 PM

Explain how AC is a *MUCH* better player????? You talkin about a sick block shot and hustling on offense...HAHAHA blah blah....Anthony CARTER has had some dumb turnovers, his Turnover percentage is higher then J.R.s.....J.R. is getting more rebounds, JR is scoring more points.....SO EXPLAIN how Anthony Carter is a *MUCH BETTER* player???

Sure A.C. is getting more assists, but thats because it's his job.....He;s not a SG....If YOU actually PLAYED BASKETBALL, you will realize that putting AC [a bakc up PG] in a SG position with another PG would be dumb!!, because most Shooting Guards are taller then Point Guards....And I know plenty of Nuggets fans would know like AC being the main to shooter in the guard position....Just because he has one breakout game against the lakers, doesn't translate into consistent SG threat.

And yeah, thanks for being captain OBVIOUS....Anybody who has a brain, knows it takes time to buil chemistry....Fans like me, rather would see the chemistry experimented with J.R. first, rather then the turnover,dumb mistake prone Carter.

J.R. should be the starter, but i'll take Dahntay Jones over A.C.

DJiC
11-04-2008, 10:44 PM
well den you should get that sniper rifle ready cause he's going to start either AC or jones

C-Dub
11-04-2008, 10:58 PM
if he put AC in he might as well shoulda kept AI cuz thats what itd be like, only AC has no ability compared to AI