PDA

View Full Version : Will JR Smith start?

NYKnickFanatic
11-04-2008, 09:23 AM
Now that Iverson is gone, do you think the Nuggets will start Smith?
Or will they still have him come off the bench, with his energy and scoring?

Billups
Smith
Melo
K-Mart
Nene

I think he should start and most likely will, but just want to get some opinions from everyone else.

Wilson
11-04-2008, 09:32 AM
I would expect him to start, who else do they have who could?

It's great to have energy and scoring come off the bench, but I don't think they've really got anyone besides Smith capable of starting at SG right now.

Zefflin
11-04-2008, 09:38 AM
Looks like a solid starting line-up right there. My guess would be that he'll tinker a bit to find the best rotations.

DenButsu
11-04-2008, 09:38 AM
He damn well better, or the "Fire George Karl" bandwagon will soon be overflowing yet again...

Just for the record, here are J.R.'s stats for November and December 2006 when he started for Denver (before the AI acquisition):

By Month G MIN FGM-FGA FG% 3PM-3PA 3P% FTM-FTA FT% STL BLK TO PF OFF DEF TOT AST PTS
November 13 29.5 5.9-13.1 45.294 2.7-7.5 .361 2.4-2.9 81.579 1.23 0.15 2.2 2.5 0.8 1.8 2.7 1.9 16.9
December 9 28.9 4.9-10.6 46.316 3.0-6.6 .458 3.7-4.2 86.842 0.67 0.00 1.3 2.6 0.4 2.0 2.4 1.3 16.4

And now his penetration game has vastly improved, his defense has improved considerably, he's much less turnover prone and his ball handling is better, he's matured and while he still can take some really dumb shots, overall he plays the game with a better head on his shoulders than he ever has. So all I can say is that if he comes off the bench, he better be like Denver's Manu in terms of his role, because this guy needs minutes, he needs to grow into the player he can be... because with his talent, the sky really is the limit.

DenButsu
11-04-2008, 09:41 AM
I would expect him to start, who else do they have who could?

It's great to have energy and scoring come off the bench, but I don't think they've really got anyone besides Smith capable of starting at SG right now.

Karl could start Dahntay Jones, to get games started with a more defensive mentality, and to more evenly distribute the scoring punch that J.R. and Melo bring.

But it's time J.R. play the starting role in this league that he's already been capable of for a long time, now that he no longer resides in AI's shadow.

Nighthawk
11-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Kleiza could start.....this trade will get em more minutes and thats a could thing. He can shoot the lights out and attacks the basket. Hope to see more PT for Linas.

DenButsu
11-04-2008, 10:13 AM
Kleiza could start.....this trade will get em more minutes and thats a could thing. He can shoot the lights out and attacks the basket. Hope to see more PT for Linas.

I doubt he'll start, mainly because like Melo he's also a SF... although on a lot of NBA teams he would be their starter.

But he'll get more minutes now for sure. I don't think Chauncey will be playing all of AI's 42, and AC's will get reduced now. So there will be more to spread around.

clehmun
11-04-2008, 01:30 PM
I doubt he'll start, mainly because like Melo he's also a SF... although on a lot of NBA teams he would be their starter.

But he'll get more minutes now for sure. I don't think Chauncey will be playing all of AI's 42, and AC's will get reduced now. So there will be more to spread around.

i remember last year you were telling everyone JR Smith is a star in the nba. and i said, he's not a star yet, and he'd have to prove it before i call him a star or even "star in the making".
i'm starting to see some of his star qualities. after the trade, i see him putting up some rashard lewis-like numbers.

dnnug
11-04-2008, 01:37 PM
no doubt this is the time for JR to shine. hey that rhymes...never mind.:D

The Magic Man
11-04-2008, 01:54 PM
I see JR starting in he will average over 20 points for the season now that he has a true point guard to get him the ball. And he will be the MOST IMPROVED PLAYER.