PDA

View Full Version : Marc Gasol is a beast

oldenpolynice
11-04-2008, 01:42 AM
I find it funny that we all got on Chris Wallace's back so much for the Most One-Sided Trade in NBA History when he traded Pau Gasol. But now Marc Gasol is exploding (27 points, 16 rebounds tonight vs. Golden State) and it seems like a pretty good deal for both sides.

"Other" Gasol is a very good defender, has a great shot, passes well and has sweet post moves. What's not to like about this guy?

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2008/11/03/other-gasol-earns-keep-in-memphis/

LAKERS 24/7
11-04-2008, 01:46 AM
Marc Gasol Eme Ube Pe?

and what the hell was the music? :laugh:

OY!
11-04-2008, 01:54 AM
maybe now ppl will shut up about the so called lop-sided trade when the benefits of the grizz are starting to come from the players that were acquired in the deal

stawka
11-04-2008, 01:57 AM
I pretty much freaked out when I saw the boxscore -- impressive. Now if he can do this on a consistent basis (well, not 27/16... but 15/10), then Memphis might have actually struck gold. He looked pretty good in the Olympics and i'm hoping he does become a good overall player.

SAVAGE CLAW
11-04-2008, 02:00 AM
if he gets like 15-17 touches a game he is a 20-12 menace.

lavis
11-04-2008, 02:05 AM
Yeah that's awesome.. But Biedrins had a monstergame too. Biedrins got 9 offensive rebounds playing against Marc Gasol.

But I'm glad I got Marc on my fantasy team.

OY!
11-04-2008, 02:07 AM
if he gets like 15-17 touches a game he is a 20-12 menace.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/players/gamelog?playerId=3206

he's avg 8.8 points and 8 rebounds. get a hold of you're self lol.

EAGLES3658
11-04-2008, 02:11 AM
what a game for him

zambo4president
11-04-2008, 02:12 AM
I have him and started him in fantasy!! :silly:

SAVAGE CLAW
11-04-2008, 02:14 AM
^he has taken in all of the games 12 shots at best and 6 at worst.

In fact he may be leagues leader on points scored for shoots taken.

Biedrins took so many rebounds because when the second line up was up there Darko and Warrick were horrible.

It happened the same against chicago, they need to trade those two .

oldenpolynice
11-04-2008, 02:33 AM
Marc Gasol Eme Ube Pe?

and what the hell was the music? :laugh:

C'mon, you didn't like the Michael Jackson after the intro?

Would have included the highlights from Grizz-Warriors but NBA.com won't let you embed them. You can find a link further into the article to the highlights...

ARMIN12NBA
11-04-2008, 02:43 AM
^he has taken in all of the games 12 shots at best and 6 at worst.

In fact he may be leagues leader on points scored for shoots taken.

Biedrins took so many rebounds because when the second line up was up there Darko and Warrick were horrible.

It happened the same against chicago, they need to trade those two .

You mean FG%. He is shooting 42% from the field...Which is awful. Although he did have a great game tonight.

Lost Art
11-04-2008, 02:46 AM
Nice game..........I'll still take Pau :D

theuuord
11-04-2008, 02:47 AM
You mean FG%. He is shooting 42% from the field...Which is awful. Although he did have a great game tonight.

To be fair PPS and FG% are two totally different stats... neither of which has Gasol anywhere near the top.

TheHoopsProphet
11-04-2008, 02:51 AM
staggering. this game that propelled him to a 12 and 12 guy is actually making me reconsider who won the pau trade. he's younger and a better defender, but most importantly he's a bargain.

Mave1002
11-04-2008, 02:56 AM
i wonder if that deal included lamar odom.

Marc
Pau
VladRad
Kobe
Fish

AB17
Luke
Ariza
Sasha
Farmar

Mihm
Powel
Sun Yuel

Couldve gotten Rudy too.

Deym. But oh well, its one Marc Gasol big game anyway.

if we see it again for like 50 more times, then WONDER. lol

ARMIN12NBA
11-04-2008, 02:59 AM
staggering. this game that propelled him to a 12 and 12 guy is actually making me reconsider who won the pau trade. he's younger and a better defender, but most importantly he's a bargain.

:laugh:

valade16
11-04-2008, 03:30 AM
Guys, RELAX!! It was one good game, Kwame had a few of those too if you remember...

That being said he is pretty good, he's got solid footwork and coordination, and nice touch on his shots, though like his brother he needs to be more aggressive rebouding.

I still think the Lakers got the better of this trade because if Marc Gasol does become really, REALLY, good, he'd be about as good as his brother, so his upside is what they traded away, and there is no guarantee he's even going to get to that good a point.

Hellcrooner
11-04-2008, 03:41 AM
"Quote:
Originally Posted by mfudge
he'll be a fairly serviceable center.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Art
= Fabricio Oberto

That's what I'm saying Marc Gasol will be...........it has nothing to do with the original poster. If I'm wrong I'll be the first to give Hellcrooner some props........but I really believe he'll be a 6 point 4 rebound type player. He'll probably be coming off the bench behind Darko too.

It will probably prove to be down right prophetic. "

yeh 6/4 ansd sit behind darko, very prohetic.

Where are thou?????? Lost art..........真真真真真

i want my props!!!

and also ARLUBAS!!!!! How about my Propaganda!!!!!

Hellcrooner
11-04-2008, 03:52 AM
his upside is better than his brothers since if he can reach 60% of his brohters abilities attacking having on account he is 1000 times tougher and a best deffender he woudl be overall better.

tadmanny
11-04-2008, 04:00 AM
I watched the entire game and was extremely impressed. He *****ed our whole squad the entire game. He showed nimble movements through the lane, as well as powerful two handed slams. His repertoire was very impressive. I now don't believe that the trade was as unfair as people believed it to be. This guy has the potential to be a very solid player for years to come.

amare#1
11-04-2008, 04:16 AM
I was very impressed by his game. As people are pointing out, it seems like the Pau trade wasn't so one sided.

oldenpolynice
11-04-2008, 04:40 AM
I watched the entire game and was extremely impressed. He *****ed our whole squad the entire game. He showed nimble movements through the lane, as well as powerful two handed slams. His repertoire was very impressive. I now don't believe that the trade was as unfair as people believed it to be. This guy has the potential to be a very solid player for years to come.

Thanks for helping to educate. The guy showed legit skills in the Olympics and he's only 24. It's not like he's going to deteriorate in skills or something. People, jump on the bandwagon. Space is limited!

LakerzDQ
11-04-2008, 06:51 AM
he's been very good so far. I believe the trade benefited both teams. Lakers needed a triangle player and a power forward. Grizzlies needed rebuilding items, and cap space.

thedfactor
11-04-2008, 07:11 AM
Marc is the man. Although he isn't tuned yet, his future looks bright. I grabbed him late in many of my fantasy drafts. Feeling good about it now.

Tian Tian Boy
11-04-2008, 07:26 AM
with performance like this... darko looks soooooooooppeeeeeeeeeeeerr STUPID!!

Kyben36
11-04-2008, 08:46 AM
I have said it b4. I think the Memphis Griz are going to be right up there with the Blazers in the Near Future. Look at who they have. Conley, a hopefull top 10 PG in about 3 years. Mayo, a future star. Gay a Present Star, Darrel Authur, A very good player, and Marc Gasol.

Not to mention Hakim Warrick another good PF.

jetsfan28
11-04-2008, 08:55 AM
I find it funny that we all got on Chris Wallace's back so much for the Most One-Sided Trade in NBA History when he traded Pau Gasol. But now Marc Gasol is exploding (27 points, 16 rebounds tonight vs. Golden State) and it seems like a pretty good deal for both sides.

"Other" Gasol is a very good defender, has a great shot, passes well and has sweet post moves. What's not to like about this guy?

http://davissportsdeli.com/wordpress/2008/11/03/other-gasol-earns-keep-in-memphis/

Not everyone. I've said all along that they got a very good player in Gasol, Critt is decent too, and they're a great drafting organization that got 2 extra 1sts, they still lost, but like i've said all along it wasn't as bad as people made it sound.

MilfHunter07
11-04-2008, 09:33 AM
Yeah he had this type of game on a team that has no defense. PLease look at the box score when they play the spurs or any other good interior defensive teams.

MilfHunter07
11-04-2008, 09:34 AM
I have said it b4. I think the Memphis Griz are going to be right up there with the Blazers in the Near Future. Look at who they have. Conley, a hopefull top 10 PG in about 3 years. Mayo, a future star. Gay a Present Star, Darrel Authur, A very good player, and Marc Gasol.

Not to mention Hakim Warrick another good PF.

And not to mention the 30+ million cap room there going to have, next year. :speechless:

tonyd3b54
11-04-2008, 09:49 AM
hmm lakers almost got an nba championship out of their deal and the grizz got...... o ya thats right 2 pretty good games from marc gasol... man i must say u've opened my eyes man... but really will these laker fans just get over the fact that they raped their way to the championship....

Zefflin
11-04-2008, 09:58 AM
For long streches they would have 4 rooks and Gay out there and were running the O and D smoothly. Like Portland, if they can keep that core together, they will be a force for years to come.

Oh and Teen Titan Boy, Denver a 60 win team...:laugh2:

jetsfan28
11-04-2008, 09:59 AM
hmm lakers almost got an nba championship out of their deal and the grizz got...... o ya thats right 2 pretty good games from marc gasol... man i must say u've opened my eyes man... but really will these laker fans just get over the fact that they raped their way to the championship....

Except for the fact that they DIDN'T get a championship, so no, they didn't rape their way to the championship. And BTW, believe it or not, trades impact more than 1 year.

Mr.Grizzly
11-04-2008, 10:01 AM
15-10. Roy

Gibby23
11-04-2008, 11:52 AM

Acually Pau is a better defender.

MiamiHeat
11-04-2008, 12:06 PM
hold your panties people
Let's see if he can be consistent

NYMetros
11-04-2008, 12:08 PM
He's been great so far this year. He gets to play with two great scorers in Mayo and Gay, so it opens up some opportunities for Gasol to take advantage of. He's looking like a real good player now though, if he can keep it up then Memphis doesn't look like such a bad team.

IndyRealist
11-04-2008, 01:19 PM
It's not AS lopsided as it was last year, but it's still lopsided. There wasn't even any garuantee that Marc wouldn't have stayed in Europe once he found out he would be playing for the Griz.

I'll consider the trade closer to even if we're still talking about Marc in June (i.e. playoffs).

Hellcrooner
11-04-2008, 01:24 PM
^ Come on, isnt a bit harsh asking for a team filled of yougsters with less than 3 years experience and 3 rookies in teh starting line up to make the playoffs in teh stacked west after being LAST team the year before?

SouljahPhil...
11-04-2008, 01:39 PM
this just proves that the lakers trade with the grizz was not that lopsided..both teams benefited from it....

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-04-2008, 01:56 PM
he ain't all that.

oldenpolynice
11-04-2008, 02:19 PM
It's not AS lopsided as it was last year, but it's still lopsided. There wasn't even any garuantee that Marc wouldn't have stayed in Europe once he found out he would be playing for the Griz.

I'll consider the trade closer to even if we're still talking about Marc in June (i.e. playoffs).

Unfair to expect playoffs THIS season. It's not like the Grizzlies were a playoff team with the lineup they had last season + Pau.

I consider it a winning trade for Memphis if they can reach the playoffs in one of the next three years.

rhino17
11-04-2008, 02:23 PM
maybe now ppl will shut up about the so called lop-sided trade when the benefits of the grizz are starting to come from the players that were acquired in the deal

no, it is still a ridiculous trade, you gave up Marc Gasol for Pau, it is still not even close

JJ81
11-04-2008, 02:52 PM
I'm still very happy the deal went down

8kobe24
11-04-2008, 04:24 PM
Interesting to see Pau and Marc go head to head. I can't wait.

oldenpolynice
11-05-2008, 02:36 AM
Interesting to see Pau and Marc go head to head. I can't wait.

Those kinds of matchups have been really underwhelming lately. Oden-Bynum was a HUGE bust and the matchup between the Lopez brothers was lame also.

Hopefully Gasol vs. Gasol lives up to expectations more than those two matchups did.

Hellcrooner
11-05-2008, 03:54 AM
they love each other, they are not going to crush them bones in the game.

Big Quett
11-05-2008, 05:12 AM
Those kinds of matchups have been really underwhelming lately. Oden-Bynum was a HUGE bust and the matchup between the Lopez brothers was lame also.

Hopefully Gasol vs. Gasol lives up to expectations more than those two matchups did.

And what expectations did that matchup have? Nobody was looking forward to it. I dont even think most people even realized it. Neither one of them even start.

borat
11-05-2008, 06:37 AM
Beast. :pity:

Hope all of you check back in when he has a stretch of 5 games where he averages like 8 and 6. :eyebrow:

oldenpolynice
11-05-2008, 11:27 AM
Beast. :pity:

Hope all of you check back in when he has a stretch of 5 games where he averages like 8 and 6. :eyebrow:

Dude, drink more Haterade.

J-Relo
11-05-2008, 01:30 PM
i never thought this trade was one sided... c'mon even when Marc didn't expload few days back it was obvious that Memphis are getting something... Marc proved that and if he keeps it up it would be great for Memphis, he isn't a beast, but he is strong tall guy with some potential...

sportsnutzz
11-05-2008, 01:36 PM
Dude, drink more Haterade.

Haterade=:down:

So just curious why did you pick the screen name oldenpolynice? I think the dude might still be posing as a police officer here in Salt Lake.

Hellcrooner
11-05-2008, 05:36 PM
Olden Plyinica was a decent Player, Best fo the sonics...Sigh.

Marc gasol MAY average 8 points because he has two ballhogs in teh team that dont care for pasing, but hje is surely going to averag more than 6 rebounds.

If he got feed adequately of balls down low a 15/12 wouldnt be out of reach.

Gibby23
11-05-2008, 05:42 PM
Olden Plyinica was a decent Player, Best fo the sonics...Sigh.

Marc gasol MAY average 8 points because he has two ballhogs in teh team that dont care for pasing, but hje is surely going to averag more than 6 rebounds.

If he got feed adequately of balls down low a 15/12 wouldnt be out of reach.

The only reason he has space to work in the post is because of the 2 ballhogs.

cmellofan15
11-05-2008, 06:05 PM
I like the Grizzlies but they're gonna need some expirience to get 35-40 wins. They have Conley, Gay, Mayo, and Gasol. That's alot of talent but no veteran expirience on the team. If they find a leader, and a veteran guy I think they get 35+ wins.

_Sn1P3r_
11-05-2008, 07:24 PM

Yeah I hope too. I had big hopes for Oden vs Bynum.

oldenpolynice
11-05-2008, 07:25 PM
I like the Grizzlies but they're gonna need some expirience to get 35-40 wins. They have Conley, Gay, Mayo, and Gasol. That's alot of talent but no veteran expirience on the team. If they find a leader, and a veteran guy I think they get 35+ wins.

It also bothers me that Rudy Gay is not concerned with any other part of his game other than scoring.

I'm pegging this team for 33 wins this season. Pretty sure they'll tail off toward the end of the year.

superkegger
11-06-2008, 02:58 AM
Wheres the beast talk now?
5 pts 6 boards, 4 TO's in 30 mins.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-06-2008, 03:09 AM
Now Olden Polynice was a beast :laugh2:

oldenpolynice
11-06-2008, 03:55 AM
Wheres the beast talk now?
5 pts 6 boards, 4 TO's in 30 mins.

Calm down. He was playing against Spencer Hawes and Jason Thompson, neither of whom is the type of low-post banger that Gasol does well against. Against someone like Al Jefferson, he will thrive. Against Hawes/Thompson he was often forced to defend out of the post, which obviously made him uncomfortable.

Also, I noticed that he had positioning in the post all the freaking time with his hand in the air. But Mayo, Gay, Conley and Lowry preferred to drive it themselves or create on the perimeter rather than give it to him down low. Must have had something to do with O.J. Mayo turning 21 tonight... he got selfish.

The Grizzlies offense is f---ed. They don't really run sets or anything. It's just Mayo and Gay creating for each other or an isolation on the wings. Kind of like what the Nuggets did last season with A.I. and Melo. If they committed to getting the ball into the post, they could spread the court and be much more effective.

DerekRE_3
11-06-2008, 04:24 AM
Calm down. He was playing against Spencer Hawes and Jason Thompson, neither of whom is the type of low-post banger that Gasol does well against. Against someone like Al Jefferson, he will thrive. Against Hawes/Thompson he was often forced to defend out of the post, which obviously made him uncomfortable.

Also, I noticed that he had positioning in the post all the freaking time with his hand in the air. But Mayo, Gay, Conley and Lowry preferred to drive it themselves or create on the perimeter rather than give it to him down low. Must have had something to do with O.J. Mayo turning 21 tonight... he got selfish.

The Grizzlies offense is f---ed. They don't really run sets or anything. It's just Mayo and Gay creating for each other or an isolation on the wings. Kind of like what the Nuggets did last season with A.I. and Melo. If they committed to getting the ball into the post, they could spread the court and be much more effective.

I would think that Gasol would routinely out muscle them down low, since Gasol is known to be a more physical player. But it is true that they didn't really look for him much in the post. Hawes isn't known to be much of banger, so I thought Gasol would do even better offensively against him.

I can see him having a tough time against Hawes and Thompson on the defensive end. Since Thompson can drive to the hoop like a SF and runs the floor extremely well for his size. And Hawes has range up to the 3 point line (he hit 2 3's tonight) and has some nice moves in the post as well.

Elliot.Cowan
11-06-2008, 05:29 AM
We need to see this on a consistent bases first people!

And that talk about the trade being lop-sided etc, it obviously worked out well for both teams, Lakers got a good player to put around Kobe who is ready to win a championship now and it gave Memphis another building block for the future/

JayW_1023
11-06-2008, 10:03 AM
He has been impressive...he is crafty, big and fundamentally sound. He is also a physical player...basically the anti-Bargnani, who doesn't have physical gifts but was overhyped. Marc has the physical gifts that make him effective in the NBA game and was severely underhyped.

He also seems mature enough to help the young Grizzlies grow and be a good locker room guy.

Hellcrooner
11-06-2008, 11:29 AM
He cant score if he receives just 3!!!!!! balls in a game like yesterday against Kings.

Dude, Oj and Gay are a pair of Mother****ers!!!!!! oh abd by the way for the time being there is a DIRECT relationship between SHots attempted by Marc and Grizz Winning or Losing, the most he SHoots and Scores they win.

I hope Iavaroni realizes this.

superkegger
11-06-2008, 02:49 PM
He cant score if he receives just 3!!!!!! balls in a game like yesterday against Kings.

Dude, Oj and Gay are a pair of Mother****ers!!!!!! oh abd by the way for the time being there is a DIRECT relationship between SHots attempted by Marc and Grizz Winning or Losing, the most he SHoots and Scores they win.

I hope Iavaroni realizes this.

Well maybe marc should hold onto the ball and not turn it over a team high 4 times.

Hellcrooner
11-06-2008, 07:03 PM
^how many turnovers does he average? how may do gay and oj average?

Lakers4ItAll
11-06-2008, 07:15 PM
Exactly

We need to see this on a consistent bases first people!