PDA

View Full Version : Indians interested in Ty Wigginton

native_astro
11-04-2008, 12:03 AM
The only way the Indians would part with catcher Kelly Shoppach is if they got a young closer in return. Which means the Red Sox would have to part with someone like Justin Masterson. Third base is another need in Cleveland, with Houston's Ty Wigginton on the radar.

source: Boston Globe
link: http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/articles/2008/11/02/the_place_might_be_the_thing/?page=4

What would we get back in return if this actually happened?

Maybe Aaron Laffey straight up or if they go for a prospect Beu Mills, but that's just a guess.

Maybe Adam Miller. He was once one of their best prospects,but has battled injuries so maybe that could work.

Please do not say Matt La Porta....not going to happen!

laxtonto
11-04-2008, 12:06 AM
I think this in reference to Bos getting Wiggington to deal for Schoppach

Jermster
11-04-2008, 12:35 AM
If this happened, then who would take over 3rd Base?

Mark Saccomanno ?
Chris Johnson ?

I would prefer Mark Saccomanno because he has hit 20+ Home runs for the past 3 years in the minors.

UnWantedTheory
11-04-2008, 03:01 AM
not sure i like it

DK.
11-04-2008, 03:37 AM
If this happened, then who would take over 3rd Base?

How about the Rangers decline the option on Hank Blalock and we sign him?

I like Ty a lot, but I'd be all about getting Kelly Shoppach.

acohn1230
11-04-2008, 10:15 AM
we would need to get a pitcher from them.

i wouldnt mind laffey + prospect

jsmith.astros
11-04-2008, 08:25 PM
Wigginton for Laffey would be great.
We could also try Wigginton and Nieve for Shoppach. That could really pay off.

As far as replacing Wigginton, I like Saccamanno but I would try Drew Sutton. He is younger and faster than Saccomanno and I think moving him to third would help his mediocre defensive. When Matsui is out put him back at second and Saccamanno at third. Don't tell me that they're not MLB ready, we'll see about that at Spring Training.

Crzycjunx76
11-04-2008, 08:52 PM
Saccamanno is probably going to be a career bat off the bench he has power but is past the prospect age. Saccamano is not the kind of guy you want starting for you at third base on a regular basis as he does not play the field well at third and after not having gotten a look or any real league intrest in his minor league career you wonder if there may not be problems with his approach at the plate that would keep him from being a good everyday hitter.

As for Sutton, he is a defensive liability at second base and does not posess the arm to make the throws from third. As far as Sutton's bat goes, he hit well this season in double A repeating the level... and honestly he didnt bat too poorly in his first year in double A. Im not sure why the Astros had Sutton repeat AA ball, maybe they were trying to fix his defensive shortcomings (they failed) but he still needs at bats at the triple A level before you throw him at the Majors and while he may develop, at this point in his career he would be a weak defender anywere but firstbase and there is not a hole there nor does he posess the bat to justify holding that position.

McJoe
11-04-2008, 09:56 PM
Wigginton is one of the only guys on this team i actually wouldnt deal IMO unless they were able to get a good SP in return. It would have to be AT LEAST Laffey in return but if they could indeed turn it into a 3-way deal where Shoppach goes to Boston, Wigginton to Cleveland, and a pitcher from Boston like Buchholz or Bowden hopefully but the Astros might have to add someone to that...

native_astro
11-04-2008, 10:24 PM
Wigginton is one of the only guys on this team i actually wouldnt deal IMO unless they were able to get a good SP in return. It would have to be AT LEAST Laffey in return but if they could indeed turn it into a 3-way deal where Shoppach goes to Boston, Wigginton to Cleveland, and a pitcher from Boston like Buchholz or Bowden hopefully but the Astros might have to add someone to that...

That's a good idea and I could totally see something like that happening. Maybe the Astros send a reliever prospect like Samuel Gervacio to the Red Sox and the Astros get back Buchholz and low level prospect. Could work.

Boston gets:
Kelly Shoppach (from Indians)
Samuel Gervacio (from Astros)

Indians get:
Ty Wigginton (from Astros)

Astros get:
Clay Buchholz (from Red Sox)

The Astros(Ed Wade) are going to have to get creative if they want to add any pieces.

laxtonto
11-04-2008, 11:43 PM
Wiggington and a reliever would not get you Bucholz period, much less a part of a 3 team deal.

Agstro
11-05-2008, 03:32 AM
Wigginton for Laffey would be great.
We could also try Wigginton and Nieve for Shoppach. That could really pay off.

As far as replacing Wigginton, I like Saccamanno but I would try Drew Sutton. He is younger and faster than Saccomanno and I think moving him to third would help his mediocre defensive. When Matsui is out put him back at second and Saccamanno at third. Don't tell me that they're not MLB ready, we'll see about that at Spring Training.

Saccamanno just got optioned to Triple AAA not a signed of confidence from the big club.

joel
11-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Wigginton and Valverde to Indians.

Indians send the Padres what they want.

Padres send Peavy to Houston.

Agstro
11-05-2008, 01:46 PM
Wigginton and Valverde to Indians.

Indians send the Padres what they want.

Padres send Peavy to Houston.

......and we have no closer.

Crzycjunx76
11-05-2008, 01:50 PM
......and we have no closer.

Agreed... and with no options in house we would have to spend a great deal of money on a closer who would probably not compare favorably with Valverde.

Before anyone says Palino, he missed virtually all of last season and needs time to recover his stuff and if you want him to be a late inning reliver then he needs time in the minors to adapt to a closing role.

The only way you trade Valverde is if you are planning on rebuilding and then prospects would be of far more value than Peavy.

Jermster
11-05-2008, 01:53 PM
Paulino could be a option with his 90+mph pitches and even though he has had some health issues, he would only be in the game for 1 to 2 innings to get the save and he can learn to close in spring training. Bagwell got the job for 1st base in spring training and he won ROY (Rookie of the Year).

joel
11-06-2008, 01:56 AM
what is a bigger hole. closer or starting pitcher, ace mind you?

RelaxedFan
11-06-2008, 02:04 PM
SP is a much larger hole. Having two aces trumps having one ace and a closer.

I like Ty, but he is our #7 hitter. If our #7 hitter and our closer can help us get Jake Peavy, i do not see anything wrong with that.

Closers are helpful, but look at the NL playoff teams at the start of the season:
Dodgers: closer was a huge hole on their team
Cubs: Taking a chance on the injured Wood
Brewers: Overpaid Gagne and didn't need him
Phillies: Took a chance (a good chance) on Lidge

Jake is a beast and is signed for a lot of money but his salary is below market value. It is very possible that Derek Lowe, AJ, or Garland could get contracts that equal Jake's average of 15.2 million a season.

Crzycjunx76
11-06-2008, 05:47 PM
Ty is our third best offensive player... and its not even close.

Top three starters

Berkman
Lee
Wiggington

Matsui is down one level on his own at about average

Then there are two below average
Pence
Tejada

And then the horrible
Whoever plays catcher
Bourn
Whoever is pitching

TheRedMarauder
11-07-2008, 02:22 PM
Indians have a pretty good farm system, so if we can get several of their players that are young, but ready to step up to the majors it would be a deal we'd have to consider seriously.