PDA

View Full Version : Report: Warriors, Pistons discussed Prince-Jackson deal

Sox Appeal
11-03-2008, 06:02 PM
Source: http://www.fannation.com/si_blogs/nba_tracker/posts/18621

Stephen Jackson reportedly is close to signing a three-year contract extension with the Warriors. The new deal, coupled with his current contract, would keep the 30-year-old Jackson on the books for the next five years -- and make trading him much more difficult, as Tim Kawakami of the San Jose Mercury News explains:

I've heard from three NBA sources that Chris Mullin and Pistons boss Joe Dumars had continuing, open-ended discussions about a possible deal that would've focused on SJax moving to Detroit and Tayshaun Prince coming to the Warriors.

To be clear: There was no agreement. No papers being drawn up. Just talks. Interested, directed talks. That doesn't seem like a fair deal (for Detroit), so there would've had to be other players or picks involved.

But Dumars is still looking to change up the Pistons' chemistry and Prince has three years and $30M left on his deal, so moving him for SJax's two years and $15M would free up some future cash. (Bringing SJax back to the Palace at Auburn Hills would be… interesting.)

The two sides started talking last summer and agreed to keep talking up to February 2009 trade deadline, if nothing else occurred.

Guess what happened: [Warriors president Robert] Rowell had dinner with SJax and told him that they'd do a deal, somewhere around SJax's max allowable -- three years and $27M, stretching through 2012-'13. That deal is expected to be announced at any time now and SJax has made sure of it by talking about it publicly. (VERY smart, Stephen.)

Dumars, of course, wants no part of SJax for that kind of contract. Nobody in the league, other than the Warriors, wants him signed at that kind of money into his mid-30s.

The new deal means the only team desperate enough to pay him now is the Warriors, who get to keep him for more money than anybody else would've paid him, precisely when the Warriors were the only team who could negotiate with him.

C-Dub
11-03-2008, 06:06 PM
honeslty, this would be almost as big as AI, I would do it, Jackson seems like a more overall player and even though the team chemistry would be corrupt for a while, the later part of the season would be a reward i think..

celticfan
11-03-2008, 06:12 PM
Prince is much better denfensively.

C-Dub
11-03-2008, 06:18 PM
true, thats what good teams do i suppose

JMDTM
11-03-2008, 07:44 PM
i wouldnt want him to. He misses alot of shots and takes alot. Iverson will help on offense, where Tayshaun will help our offense and defense. Say no to Jackson

_Sn1P3r_
11-03-2008, 08:53 PM
I agree. ^

iggypop123
11-03-2008, 08:56 PM
both guys cant shoot the 3 very well, but prince can post up smaller guys. problem is lebron is 260. and cant handle the huge guy. jackson could do a better job with strength so maybe thats what they could try but jax jacks up the 3's

~Troy
11-03-2008, 09:43 PM
Prince>Sjax. We don't need another trade.

JMDTM
11-03-2008, 10:09 PM
nope. not yet anyways. When offseason comes, AI will be gone. And we will hopefully sign lebron james. Then our starting lineup will be amazing and young!
C Amir Johnson or Rasheed if he is still here
PF Jason Maxiell
SF Lebron James
SG Richard Hamilton
PG Rodney Stuckey

C-Dub
11-03-2008, 10:51 PM
Wheres Prince?

~Troy
11-03-2008, 11:17 PM
Wheres Prince?

Behind Lebron. :p:rolleyes:

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-03-2008, 11:25 PM
Jackson doesn't play D. I wouldn't do this!

C-Dub
11-04-2008, 04:36 PM
Prince wouldnt like that I dont think, Lebron should play PF and Sheed play C in Bron came here, lol

JMDTM
11-04-2008, 04:51 PM
Sheed will prbably be gone next year and Amir will start at Center

Mile High Champ
11-04-2008, 06:25 PM
Jackson is better. Prince is not the same player he was a few years ago. His Defense that frustrated the league's stars like Kobe back in the finals a few years ago is gone. He is a good defender but no longer a great defender. I really feel he has regressed over the last two years. I think S-Jax is great, he is a much better offensive player and plays solid defense. This is a good trade for the pistons. Get past what happened with him and the fight at auburn hills. He would be a good addition for your team!

JMDTM
11-04-2008, 06:45 PM
yeah ok but he wouldnt work good with Sheed and Iverson

Big R
11-05-2008, 04:01 AM
would be pointless now with iverson on the team, the pistons need prince to guard the other teams best perimiter player

bruser23
11-05-2008, 05:05 AM
Prince is a Lock down defender, he's a decent 3 shooter. Smart all around guy basketball smarts. he can step up and run the offensive. he's much more of a team player than jax is, with AI coming prince is going to have to step up and run the offense more