PDA

View Full Version : ESPN: Power Rankings Week 1

JordansBulls
11-03-2008, 03:48 PM
Power Rankings Week 1 (http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/powerranking?season=2009&week=1)

1 (2) Lakers 3-0 The Lakers' average margin of victory is down to 21.7 ppg after they could squeak out only a seven-point win Saturday night at Denver. That qualifies as the closest thing to a flaw we've seen during L.A.'s flashy start.

Power Rankings, 2002 to 2008: Lakers fifth | See Lakers chart

2 (3) Hornets 3-0 We were kidding when we talked up that 7-0 preseason, but a 3-0 start is the real deal. Especially because the Hornets opened on the road, played Phoenix and Cleveland next and didn't have Chandler for two of the W's.

Power Rankings, 2002 to 2008: Hornets 13th | See Hornets chart

3 (1) Celtics 2-1 This might strike you as a steep drop for the defending champs and you might even be right. Boston's problem is that the Lakers and Hornets were that good last week ? and the Celts' showing in Indy was that bad.

Power Rankings, 2002 to 2008: Celtics 16th | See Celtics chart

4 (6) Rockets 3-0 A good "Did You Know?" . . . Houston is 19-0 in its past 19 regular-season games with a healthy Yao Ming. That's a nice stat to spice up Tuesday's showdown pitting Yao, Ron-Ron and T-Mac against Pierce, KG and Ray Ray.

Power Rankings, 2002 to 2008: Rockets seventh | See Rockets chart

5 (7) Pistons 2-0 Sounds as if the new coach had no issues with us for starting the new season with Detroit outside the top five. Says Michael Curry: ''We've earned the right for people to ask, 'Has this team made its last run?'''

Power Rankings, 2002 to 2008: Pistons third | See Pistons chart

6 (12) Raptors 3-0 You might be wondering whether a team from Canada was eligible to be recorded as the first U.S. Army Team of the Week in Power Rankings history. We promise: (Uncle) Sam Mitchell's Raps were indeed in the mix.

Power Rankings, 2002 to 2008: Raptors 27th | See Raptors chart

7 (9) Jazz 2-0 The bad news: No word yet on a firm return date for D-Will from that ankle sprain. The good news: Utah hasn't really needed him yet and, based on a quick look at the schedule, probably won't until a Nov. 11 visit to Philly.

Power Rankings, 2002 to 2008: Jazz ninth | See Jazz chart

8 (11) Suns 2-1 I've said this before and I'll say it again: Rush, if you wish, to proclaim that the Suns' window has closed. I prefer to keep trying to peer into the window to see how their radical changes play out. Play it how you want.

Power Rankings, 2002 to 2008: Suns fourth | See Suns chart

9 (4) Cavaliers 1-2 The Cavs are used to these kinds of starts. They've posted a losing record after three games in all but one of LeBron's six seasons. The new twist is LeBron's slow start shooting the ball as he adjusts to a tweaked offense.

Power Rankings, 2002 to 2008: Cavaliers 14th | See Cavs chart

10 (5) Spurs 0-2 Memphis. New York. Even Oklahoma City. All three of those teams won a game before the Spurs did, which suggests that as good as Tony and Timmy look, we might have undersold how much they'll miss Manu.

Power Rankings, 2002 to 2008: Spurs first | See Spurs chart

Lakersfan2483
11-03-2008, 03:58 PM
The rankings seem to be correct, I want to see how every team stacks up after a another month or so.

LAKERS 24/7
11-03-2008, 04:04 PM
good rankings, agree with pretty much everything

JJ81
11-03-2008, 04:23 PM
I dont understand why the Spurs are 10th. They've started 0 - 2 for the season and they have the worst defence in the league so far.:confused:

dgo24
11-03-2008, 04:57 PM
The Lakers still manage to beat the Nuggets even though Kobe,Lamar, Bynum,Radman and Vujacic all had 3 fouls by half of the 2nd quarter,the shows the depth the Lakers have.

Vinny642
11-03-2008, 05:03 PM
The Lakers still manage to beat the Nuggets even though Kobe,Lamar, Bynum,Radman and Vujacic all had 3 fouls by half of the 2nd quarter,the shows the depth the Lakers have.

Also beating Suns without Chandler and Cavs without Chandler and Peja shows we are deeper then people say.

OY!
11-03-2008, 05:15 PM
Also beating Suns without Chandler and Cavs without Chandler and Peja shows we are deeper then people say.

good win against the suns.

the cavs, not really saying much since they only got 1 guy on their team. everybody else is pretty much mediocre or worse.

Vinny642
11-03-2008, 05:23 PM
^^
Mo Williams is pretty good... Big Z is decent

JayW_1023
11-03-2008, 08:57 PM
Hornets deserve to be #1 over Lakers because they were perfect despite being shorthanded *braces for disgruntled LA fans* :hide:

MiamiHeat
11-03-2008, 08:59 PM
well at least the Heat aren't last
:sigh:

Lakers4ItAll
11-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Agreed

I dont understand why the Spurs are 10th. They've started 0 - 2 for the season and they have the worst defence in the league so far.:confused:

OY!
11-03-2008, 09:16 PM
^^
Mo Williams is pretty good... Big Z is decent

Mo's a joke. Big Z is pretty decent. but softer then toilet paper.

the only complaint i have for the standings is cavs at 9 and spurs at 10. that's a little too nice for those teams IMO.

ARMIN12NBA
11-03-2008, 09:23 PM
Pretty good rankings except for Spurs at 10. They are still win-less.

JOSETHEALLSTAR
11-03-2008, 09:23 PM
the rockets should be higher

bidi_nash
11-03-2008, 09:38 PM
the raps should be higher

cmstophe
11-04-2008, 01:11 AM
Mo's a joke. Big Z is pretty decent. but softer then toilet paper.

the only complaint i have for the standings is cavs at 9 and spurs at 10. that's a little too nice for those teams IMO.

Another Cavs hater, and another guy who sleeps on the Spurs (like people do every year...yawn).

Board is FULL of both, and both of which will be proven to be ignorant down the stretch. The Spurs will be fine, and the Cavs have guys scoring in double digits all over the place with their new offense.

BoltLakerPadre
11-04-2008, 01:34 AM
Lake show!

OY!
11-04-2008, 01:53 AM
Another Cavs hater, and another guy who sleeps on the Spurs (like people do every year...yawn).

Board is FULL of both, and both of which will be proven to be ignorant down the stretch. The Spurs will be fine, and the Cavs have guys scoring in double digits all over the place with their new offense.

Cavs hater? i guess if calling MO over-rated and the fact that Lebron needs someone other then himself on the team is called a cavs hater then yes i guess i am one?

The spurs never had an 0-2 start in the last 10 years. I never slept on the Spurs, but this year is different. without manu they now rely on parker and duncan, and everyone else pretty much can't score in double figures if their life depended on it, and it's showing that right now.

Define "fine" with the Spurs. Do i think they still make the playoffs? yes. Do i think they will still be an elite team, yes. (well WITH MANU) do i think the Spurs will go over 500 without Manu? no. and so far they are 0-2. not looking good.

USMCLaker
11-04-2008, 04:24 AM
Hornets deserve to be #1 over Lakers because they were perfect despite being shorthanded *braces for disgruntled LA fans* :hide:

Good argument, also Hornets played better teams and our win against Denver was not impressive, still nice to see us on top again.

UnWantedTheory
11-04-2008, 05:15 AM

As of now I would agree with most everyone regarding the Spurs in the 10 spot...they shouldnt be there(as of now)...but in Rankings this happens all the time...0-2 or not they are still considered an elite team until they prove themselves otherwise...2 games wont change that...What the spurs are capable of is something else entirely...they are minus 4 or 5 men right now...With some young talent on their roster this year, there are only so many ways to step up...Manu being out will hurt the Spurs,...but they will be fine...And honestly I believe they are a TOP 10 team even with a start like that(and everybody knows it as well)...but 0-2 is 0-2 so I have to go with the numbers for now...Although I am not sure why we bother with first week rankings anyway...

cmstophe
11-04-2008, 10:39 AM
Cavs hater? i guess if calling MO over-rated and the fact that Lebron needs someone other then himself on the team is called a cavs hater then yes i guess i am one?

The spurs never had an 0-2 start in the last 10 years. I never slept on the Spurs, but this year is different. without manu they now rely on parker and duncan, and everyone else pretty much can't score in double figures if their life depended on it, and it's showing that right now.

Define "fine" with the Spurs. Do i think they still make the playoffs? yes. Do i think they will still be an elite team, yes. (well WITH MANU) do i think the Spurs will go over 500 without Manu? no. and so far they are 0-2. not looking good.

For the Spurs, that is what I meant. They will be an elite team and they will make the playoffs, 'nuff said. I'd love to be proven wrong though.

For the Cavs, you need to watch them every chance you get because you clearly don't know they are using a new offense that emphasizes pushing the ball more and distribution>James scoring 30+ points a night. Their offense has looked significantly better than what I have seen in seasons past, and they're still ironing it out.

Mo Williams, Big Z, Delonte West, and Daniel Gibson are having good seasons so far. So I don't know what you're talking about.

In fact, Mo Williams won the game for them last night. So what are you talking about?

AFlagRules
11-04-2008, 01:52 PM
You guys actually think the Spurs will continue to suck it up? They have one of the best PF's ever, a great PG and perhaps the best coach in the NBA. Ginobili is out, just wait for him to come back.

Raps being 6th is proper. All 5 teams ahead of us are better than us right now (until we beat them). If the Raps win against Detroit Wednesday, I can see them moving up to 5th, maybe 4th (considering we're beating a top Eastern team), for week 2 rankings.