PDA

View Full Version : Is Detroit a threat to Boston?

Lakersfan2483
11-03-2008, 03:35 PM
With Detroit acquiring Iverson, has the balance of power shifted out East?

Lost Art
11-03-2008, 03:37 PM
They might be????? Iverson was awesome when he had a good defensive squad to back him up (2001 Sixers). That defense with a "go to" guy offensively could be VERY dangerous. IMO it all depends on how his teammates feel about him chucking up a bunch of shots, if they pout it could be trouble...........but if he does what he did in Denver they MIGHT be better off than they were before? Although Billups was the heart and sole of that squad and McDyess was a really solid player for them as well. Guess we'll have to wait and see if it pays off??

Luckily I just got my tickets to the Pistons vs. Lakers next Friday yesterday, if I waited another day those tickets would be WAY more expensive :D

JordansBulls
11-03-2008, 03:39 PM
They might be????? Iverson was awesome when he had a good defensive squad to back him up (2001 Sixers). That defense with a "go to" guy offensively could be VERY dangerous. Luckily I just got my tickets to the Pistons vs. Lakers next Friday yesterday, if I waited another day those tickets would be WAY more expensive :D

I'm curious, how much does a ticket cost over there?

Also we have to see how AI mixes with the Pistons, but looking at it, it seems they may be able to deal with Boston better now.

Lakersfan2483
11-03-2008, 03:42 PM
[QUOTE=Lost Art;7203336]They might be????? Iverson was awesome when he had a good defensive squad to back him up (2001 Sixers). That defense with a "go to" guy offensively could be VERY dangerous. Luckily I just got my tickets to the Pistons vs. Lakers next Friday yesterday, if I waited another day those tickets would be WAY more expensive :D[/QUOTe

Detroit has definitely put themselves in position to challenge Boston out east. Iverson is a legit no. 1 option, couple that with the fact that Detroit has a good defensive team, this team may just end up in the finals.

king4day
11-03-2008, 03:48 PM

Since Detroit was already a top dog, I don't think it shifts the power. If he went to the Cavs then I'd say yes.
Detroit might be a little better with this but the power hasn't change.

pd7631
11-03-2008, 03:53 PM
Detroit has improved their chances, but won it all in their first year together, now their chemistry is better. So to answer the question, no. The Pistons are still the second best team in the East, but the gapper is still pretty big between them and Boston.

ShakeN'Bake
11-03-2008, 03:54 PM
They were already a threat to Boston..with this move if everything goes well they will be much more dangerous.

bostncelts34
11-03-2008, 04:25 PM

no..i dont think so at all.

Just solidifies Detroit as the #2 i think

Boston
detroit
cleveland
orlando
toronto
philly

and so on.. no changes really

mkool65
11-03-2008, 04:47 PM
Yeah, as said above Detroit is still the second best team in the east until we can prove otherwise. If all goes well then yes we are a bigger threat but until we see how he is able to mesh with the other players and what the gameplans look like with this addition.

Kabowdos
11-03-2008, 04:48 PM
Hmm... let us watch and find out... pretty simple... speculate all you want - just wait and watch..

mrblisterdundee
11-03-2008, 05:06 PM
Allen Iverson still needs a legitimately dominate center, which Detroit doesn't have. Despite the lack of a dominate front court, the Pistons are definitely better with Iverson than with Mr. Big Shot and McDyess. Billups could never average as many points or assists as Iverson, and McDyess is good, but past his prime.

OY!
11-03-2008, 05:13 PM
i think it makes a less of a threat then with billups. If the trade was Rip instead of Billups, then hell yea, but otherwise no. i think Pistons got worse.

_Sn1P3r_
11-03-2008, 05:15 PM
I had Detroit no matter what at 2 in the East but I think that trade was good for Detroit. Now just gotta wait and see.

Lakersfan2483
11-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Detroit will be better, I think Iverson will surprise a lot of people on this team. He's a gamer in the 4th quarter, and will help this team in terms of making plays in the fourth quarter. Detroit has a solid group around Iverson, they definitely will be title contenders.

futureman
11-03-2008, 06:40 PM
I really don't think this deal would make either team better. If stuckey pans out ,then maybe the pistons will end up being a better team for it. But as far as being a threat to the celtics, I don't think so. Right now, toronto is more of a threat to the celtics than the pistons

Frrrrank!!!
11-03-2008, 06:41 PM
they were already a threat to boston and now they just added a certain #1 so imo they still are a threat.

Gibby23
11-03-2008, 07:14 PM
They might be????? Iverson was awesome when he had a good defensive squad to back him up (2001 Sixers). That defense with a "go to" guy offensively could be VERY dangerous. IMO it all depends on how his teammates feel about him chucking up a bunch of shots, if they pout it could be trouble...........but if he does what he did in Denver they MIGHT be better off than they were before? Although Billups was the heart and sole of that squad and McDyess was a really solid player for them as well. Guess we'll have to wait and see if it pays off??

Luckily I just got my tickets to the Pistons vs. Lakers next Friday yesterday, if I waited another day those tickets would be WAY more expensive :D

He was also like 25 years old back then.

Rockets Fanatic
11-03-2008, 07:21 PM
Pistons would not have an offensive Post game but no one on the Celtics could stop AI

Gibby23
11-03-2008, 07:24 PM
Pistons would not have an offensive Post game but no one on the Celtics could stop AI

Rondo plays good D, he can't stop AI, but he would make him work.

Rockets Fanatic
11-03-2008, 07:25 PM
Rondo plays good D, he can't stop AI, but he would make him work.

Ya but AI would still put up 27-30 a game

op12
11-03-2008, 07:52 PM
dont think this makes detriot better. ai needs to play off the ball. he will take too many shots to create shots for sheed and rip. i think rondo will be able to D up on ai better than billups. billups has the size advantage and rondo is quick enough to at least annoy ai and keep him from going off. they are still a solid team, but i think the cavs and celtics can still beat them in the playoffs.

Lost Art
11-03-2008, 08:08 PM
I'm curious, how much does a ticket cost over there?

Also we have to see how AI mixes with the Pistons, but looking at it, it seems they may be able to deal with Boston better now.

$140 a piece for lower level corner seats :(

After this trade I could probably sell them for $200+ a piece............but I think I'll still go instead ;)

superkegger
11-03-2008, 08:14 PM
Detroit was already a threat, its not like they have fallen off...of course they're going to challenge boston.

Epic89
11-03-2008, 08:23 PM
OK geniuses, Pistons are at least #2 in the East. Were before the deal.

The Celtics have the vastly better frontcourt, Pistons the vastly better backcourt. Even with McDyess gone, I think the Pistons are deeper. They're in a better position to challenge them then they were with Chauncey. Good trade.

BigSteve
11-03-2008, 08:26 PM
More than likely Detroit will still be the number 2 seed in the east. Anyone saying they weren't going to be before trade doesn't even watch the games and just posts on boards the stuff they read on ESPN. I doubt this moves them ahead of Boston, but it sets them up to a dominate team in 1 to 2 years. They will have over 30 million going off the books between Rasheed and Iverson at the end of the year.

number1nykfan25
11-03-2008, 08:27 PM
even before this deal they were a threat. I think there an even greater threat now with AI.

Lakers4ItAll
11-03-2008, 08:44 PM
I think if Philly starts to play well together I think they have a better shot than DET

And all ORL needs is a decent trade and they will be right there too

IndyRealist
11-03-2008, 08:46 PM
A lot more optimists commenting here than on the other "AI for Billups" threads. I honestly think this is a rebuilding move. AI and Wallace come off the books at the end of the year, putting them in position to be a big factor in the free agent market.

Hawkeye15
11-03-2008, 08:58 PM
not this year. As much as I love AI, Detroit is simply rebuilding on the fly. His $21 mil come off the books this summer, they go on from there. Detroit will be tough again in 2-3 years, and by that I mean contenders. They will still easily make the playoffs this year.

dre1990
11-03-2008, 08:58 PM
i think we made a BIG mistake in trading billips Skill wis A.I is better. but Chauncey is a legit numba 1. denver just got a hell of a lot better

futureheisman
11-03-2008, 09:00 PM
nope the celtics are still the beasts of the east