PDA

View Full Version : What does Billups to Denver do to the West?

dnnug
11-03-2008, 02:32 PM
Not to count my chickens before they hatch but since this trade is all but done. With Billups comming to Denver what does it mean for the rest of the division and the western confrence in general.

We have always had the talent to be a serious contender but our lack of defense was like a knife stuck in our foot meaning we couldn't go anywhere.But this season we have a defensive mentality and now have the players to go with that in Billups, Nene, Melo(believe it or not) and Mcdyesse if he stays on the team.

do you think this puts us up there with the Mavs,Suns,Spurs and Hornets of the western confrense. On paper it looks like it, but it did when AI was with the Nugs. Does Billups= the missing link?

SUNDUNDIDIT
11-03-2008, 02:40 PM
Not to count my chickens before they hatch but since this trade is all but done. With Billups comming to Denver what does it mean for the rest of the division and the western confrence in general.

We have always had the talent to be a serious contender but our lack of defense was like a knife stuck in our foot meaning we couldn't go anywhere.But this season we have a defensive mentality and now have the players to go with that in Billups, Nene, Melo(believe it or not) and Mcdyesse if he stays on the team.

do you think this puts us up there with the Mavs,Suns,Spurs and Hornets of the western confrense. On paper it looks like it, but it did when AI was with the Nugs. Does Billups= the missing link?

It's depended on how J.R. produces....If J.R. lives up to the hype and potential that we all know he has, then we can be a 2nd round playoff team.....There's no way,[Even when with A.I.], that we are going to miss the playoffs....It's hard to tell....You gotta let it play out for a couple of weeks, and see how we do with Billups to come with better solidified assumption.

BRAVE KID
11-03-2008, 03:04 PM
^Agree with Sun, let it play out a couple of weeks and then we'll see if have a elite team.

dnnug
11-03-2008, 03:08 PM
I said not to count our chickens before they hatched, this thread was for speculation sake.

so have fun with it... if you want.;)

BRAVE KID
11-03-2008, 03:14 PM
I said not to count our chickens before they hatched, this thread was for speculation sake.

so have fun with it... if you want.;)alrighty then for speculation sake..then yes it does put up there with the top teams. AI was great and all but we were still missing that true point guard, Billups fits that perfectly, not only that he can defend and hit the 3 better than anyone else on our team. He'll make melo, J.R, nene and k-mart happy.

dnnug
11-03-2008, 03:18 PM
when will he suit up for the nuggets?

BRAVE KID
11-03-2008, 03:26 PM
when will he suit up for the nuggets?should be wednesday against the warriors see no reason why he shouldn't suit up for them. I just hope billups doesn't have the same thoughts as mcdyess with this nugs team.

SUNDUNDIDIT
11-03-2008, 03:29 PM
should be wednesday against the warriors see no reason why he shouldn't suit up for them. I just hope billups doesn't have the same thoughts as mcdyess with this nugs team.

I remember readin that Billups would like to play for Denver again, so he could be able to take care of his family or somethin like that....He still lives out here in the offseason from what I know....So I would be pretty sure, that he;s happy about coming back to his hometown.

chaugh970
11-03-2008, 03:32 PM
I think this is an awesome move for the nuggets. Chauncey is a denver native, the fans here love him. This move is gonna solidify our backcourt as one of the best in the west, and also erase all the mismatches we had with AI and AC.
Chauncey 6'3 JR 6'6 starting, and a extremely solid bench pg in carter with Jones coming in at SG, we have athleticism and defense coming off the bench as well now. Unstoppable!!!!

SlowMo
11-03-2008, 03:47 PM
I'm interested in how long Chauncey is gonna last. he's had a healthy carrier, but he is getting old. Hopefully he doesn't become injury prone.

Overall, I think losing AI will affect our offense. Although Billups will be more of a true PG, he's not gonna push the transition game as much as AI does. I think we'll lose some of our explosive play, but hopefully be more consistent and less turnover prone. Plus having billups and smith on the floor puts a great set of shooters on the floor.

I miss Iverson already... but this could work out well for the Nuggets.

DJiC
11-03-2008, 03:55 PM
TRADE MCDYESS FOR HINRICH!!!! AND WERE ALL GOOD!
billups/hinrich/AC
smith/kleiza
melo/balkman
martin/anderson
nene/samb/hunter
or trade atkins/hunter for a backup C/PF
billups/AC
smith/kleiza
melo/balkman
martin/anderson
nene/BRAD MILLER(he wouldnt be bad off the bench maybe bad as a person)

MELO 15
11-03-2008, 04:40 PM
I'm interested in how long Chauncey is gonna last. he's had a healthy carrier, but he is getting old. Hopefully he doesn't become injury prone.

Overall, I think losing AI will affect our offense. Although Billups will be more of a true PG, he's not gonna push the transition game as much as AI does. I think we'll lose some of our explosive play, but hopefully be more consistent and less turnover prone. Plus having billups and smith on the floor puts a great set of shooters on the floor.

I miss Iverson already... but this could work out well for the Nuggets.

Come to think of it, this will make our offense better. People forget that Jr, and Melo led the league as a duo in points cobined, a few years ago. Not saying that Jr is anywhere near Iversons level, but he still is a scorer none the less. And playing along side Mr. Big Shot, who is a great floor general, will only make hime better. I dare teams to pack it in on Melo, because now teams won't gamble knowing that there are two legit three point shooters out there in billups and smith. Teams gambled doubling Melo because they knew that Iverson wasn't a great shooter. And now Melo can be Melo, and get back to avg 28 to 30 a game. great pick up. now if mcdyse gets on board, the bench will be great. Ac will return to the roll he should've had, and the bench would look a littel something like this. AC at the 1 DJ at the 2 LK at the 3, even though I cringe when I say it, Balkman at the 4, and Mcdyse at the five. Something tells me were not done yet, and if I had my choice, I trade LK, chucky and hunter, for Dunleavy, from the pacers, or even al harington. what do you guys think

fredv
11-03-2008, 04:44 PM
I think Denver will get better because AI was taking alot of shots. Now other guys will get to the shots he was taking. However, I don't think you guys will be a Championship team, but definitely a 6-7 seed. And once your in the playoffs, anything can happen.

GoCubbies65
11-03-2008, 04:55 PM
I speculate:

Melo will finally have the court to himself (so to speak) and with a grade A point guard he will be able to get open shots and a lot of solid feeds assuring him the possibility of scoring 25 to 30 points per game.

JR Smith will finally get good minutes from the start to the end of the game and will have the chance to be fed from Billups at the 3 point line all game long making him even scarier and scoring 15-20 points per game

K-Mart and Nene will become a great down-low force and with assists from Melo, JR, and of course Chauny be able to put up an easy 20-30 points

Billups will bring a much needed clutch 3-point shooter and be able to spread the ball to JR and Melo our playmakers making them even more dangerous and should average 10 points per game easily

Then you have Kleiza, Anderson and Balkman of the bench and Carter who has been playing extemly will and with good production from the bench and a continued defensive mind set this team should be very good

I know we all loved AI and he is very fun to watch but its Melo's time now and with a true point guard I think this team can be very good.

Hope for no injuries and this team will make it to at least the second round this year

GoCubbies65
11-03-2008, 05:02 PM
Haha this is my thoughts as of right now:

Ron Harper - Chauncey Billups
Micheal Jordan -Melo
Pippen - JR
Rodman - K-Mart
Longley - Nene

that is if Nene and K-mart continue to play well, Billups can distribute and hit clutch 3's and if JR can live up to the potential that is there for him, which i think he will

C-Dub
11-03-2008, 05:22 PM
OMG i am pissed pissed PISSED! This is a great move for both teams, but i am pissed. there is only 2 good things for me about this, I used to be a crazy Pistons fan before te AI trade to Denver and now he is closer for me to watch. But Im still pissed.

BRAVE KID
11-03-2008, 05:37 PM
why are you so pissed?? You said it yourself this is a great move for both sides.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-03-2008, 05:42 PM
I already miss AI too.

C-Dub
11-03-2008, 06:10 PM
why are you so pissed?? You said it yourself this is a great move for both sides.

im happy and pissed at the same time....

AI and Melo are my 2 favorite players and it was awesome seeing them both when I watched them, plus I just bout 150 dollar tickets to the Bucks Nuggets game and now I dont get to see AI....

C-Dub
11-03-2008, 06:11 PM
at least the pistons arent like a team i have to get to know too much, i still keep up with them so i know them pretty well, im glad he went to a championship calibur team that i know and am close to rather than a different one, or one i hate like the lakers or mavs or something

C-Dub
11-03-2008, 06:14 PM
Billups/ AC
Smith /Jones/ Weems
Melo / LK/ Balkman
Kmart / Howard
Nene/ Birdman

Looks great to me

dnnug
11-03-2008, 06:26 PM
^^
replace Howard with Dice. Howard was waived when the deal was offficial.

AIMelo=KillaDUO
11-03-2008, 06:29 PM
^^
replace Howard with Dice. Howard was waived when the deal was offficial.

We're gonna buy out Dyce... so don't replace Dyce with Howard.

dnnug
11-03-2008, 06:34 PM
I just got an E news letter from the nuggets saying Howard was waived to make room for Dice. I wish I could find on the web somewhere but haven't been able to yet...

SUNDUNDIDIT
11-03-2008, 06:35 PM
I just got an E news letter from the nuggets saying Howard was waived to make room for Dice. I wish I could find on the web somewhere but haven't been able to yet...

McDyess dont wanna play for us....So thats a stupid move by the nuggets.

BRAVE KID
11-03-2008, 06:40 PM
don't worry about howard being waived he is coming back

Nuggets director of basketball operations Mark Warkentien announced that the team had released veteran forward Juwan Howard to free up a roster spot. It is likely that Howard will be re-signed, however. Sources close to the Nuggets said the team plans to buy out McDyess's contract, leaving him free to re-sign with Detroit. It was necessary for Denver to get McDyess in the trade to match salaries. denver post (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_10887199)

BkOriginalOne
11-03-2008, 07:48 PM
Billups brings the D, the leaderhsip, taking some of the pressure off of melo. He's definitely going to improve melo's game, nene's and kmarts.
Don't forget, he also gives the nuggets another legit three point shooter,stretching the D for slahsers like JR, keliza and melo.

C-Dub
11-03-2008, 08:56 PM
ya, i was mad b4 but now im happy, both of my teams improved!

ps- nuggets are still my favorite team!

jusscallmez
11-03-2008, 09:21 PM

LOL you don't even mention the Lakers. Don't even put Mavs or Suns as tops in West Conf thats a joke. It should be Lakers, Rockets, New Orleans, Jazz 1-4. But if you want to say that you guys are as good as Mavs and Suns then go ahead because those two teams aren't that good.

timebandit
11-04-2008, 12:01 AM
Ummmm.... What was the question??

RocketsRule
11-04-2008, 12:14 AM
The Rocky Mountain News reports that Denver intends to keep Antonio McDyess after acquiring him in Monday's trade.

The Rocky Mountain News (http://www.rockymountainnews.com/news/2008/nov/03/nuggets-pistons-discuss-iverson--billups-deal/?partner=RSS)

DenButsu
11-04-2008, 12:15 AM
don't worry about howard being waived he is coming back

denver post (http://www.denverpost.com/nuggets/ci_10887199)

I'm really glad to hear that. After a training camp and preseason featuring a lot of dubious candidates, I was very much in support of the Nuggets signing Howard - and only Howard. Glad to hear he'll be staying on.

DenButsu
11-04-2008, 12:16 AM
Or maybe I spoke too soon? If we're keeping Dyess?

BRAVE KID
11-04-2008, 12:25 AM
What??? Why are we going to choose to keep him if he has said he will not play for us? that he may retire. we are missing something here. It is a denver area source so at least we know it is creditable.

bravesrule
11-04-2008, 12:38 AM
I think Billups will really help the Rockies win the West. The Dodgers were just too good after they picked up Manny.

haha jk but yeah Billups and Carmelo together make up a pretty good team.

SUNDUNDIDIT
11-04-2008, 12:39 AM
What??? Why are we going to choose to keep him if he has said he will not play for us? that he may retire. we are missing something here. It is a denver area source so at least we know it is creditable.

Possibly they may be tryin to utilize his contract to benefit in someway??????

DenButsu
11-04-2008, 12:39 AM
Maybe they talked things over and he had a change of heart?

BRAVE KID
11-04-2008, 12:46 AM
Maybe they talked things over and he had a change of heart?
Hope so, dice makes this bench formidable, not like howard didn't just think that dice is better than howard and if we don't end up keeping dice then I'll welcome back howard with open arms.

chaugh970
11-04-2008, 03:55 AM
Why should we pay him money to not play? thats seems ridiculous to me, hes a great bench player and we definately can use him.

UnWantedTheory
11-04-2008, 04:41 AM
Haha this is my thoughts as of right now:

Ron Harper - Chauncey Billups
Micheal Jordan -Melo
Pippen - JR
Rodman - K-Mart
Longley - Nene

that is if Nene and K-mart continue to play well, Billups can distribute and hit clutch 3's and if JR can live up to the potential that is there for him, which i think he will

WTF? Are you crazy?

GoCubbies65
11-04-2008, 01:19 PM
WTF? Are you crazy?

I like to think so :D

C-Dub
11-04-2008, 04:47 PM
hey, it looked good to me, i cant wait to see us play the lakers again now, and i cant wait to see AI's first home game against the Celtics!

dnnug
11-20-2008, 01:31 PM
I thought I'd bring this thread back to life and say you gotta like the way our team has taken shape with CB on the team.

Our defense... who knew a team in Denver could play defense?:D Its really good to see though. You've gotta like the wins in Boston and SA those two places really haven't treated us very well in recent years. Sure the Spurs are depleted but the nuggets did what all good teams do and took advantage of that.

Next up LA and denvers revenge. And I believe another W in the win column.

broncsnugzbrave
11-20-2008, 05:19 PM
next up la and denvers revenge. And i believe another w in the win column.

man i hope so all of my friends are lakers fans!!!