PDA

View Full Version : Starbury anyone?

Tblaze
11-03-2008, 08:36 AM
Now hear me out on this one,

I think portland lacks a true floor general at the point guard, it doesn't have to be a superstar... but we could definantly use some more experience in this team.

There's a couple of players that come to mind that would fit that role, for example: Chauncey Billups, Andre Miller, Mike Bibby..

However we might be forgetting about a very available player that needs a change of scenery to reenergize his career. I'm talking about Stephon Marbury. He's obviously done in New York. He started off quite good as I can remember but then NY started adding players like Francis, who obviously didn't mesh well with Marbury on the floor. Now I know Marbury has some issues, but I think once he feels good again and gets a role that fits him he might easily be a top 10 pg. I do not know how much his character would impact the chemnistry of this team, so that's the risk of acquiring him.
I do think we could obtain him for quite cheap, and if we would do so anytime soon, we can choose to re-sign him next offseason if he works well, and let him go to free agency if it doesn't work out.

So what are your thoughts on the possibility of acquiring Marbury?

for example we trade:
Outlaw, Frye, Rodriguez, and pick(s) for steph.
(I think he could come cheaper, but let's just assume this would be the trade)

Marbury/Blake/Bayless
Roy/Rudy
Batum/Webster
Aldridge/Diogu
Oden/Przybilla

Looks pretty good to me..

Fins4Life
11-03-2008, 11:00 AM
Id take steph for frye and a pick. Thats all id give up. We have to keep sergio b/c he and rudy are good friends. We want rudy to stay happy. But i like what steph would bring to team.

Tblaze
11-03-2008, 11:15 AM
Id take steph for frye and a pick. Thats all id give up. We have to keep sergio b/c he and rudy are good friends. We want rudy to stay happy. But i like what steph would bring to team.

yeah I agree, I wouldn't ever give up outlaw for him either, but I just had to make some kind of trade idea.. If sergio stays then blake has to go.. and does Frye want to go back to the knicks, or do they want frye back?

A.Mopp
11-03-2008, 05:18 PM
im am not a big Marbury fan. And i especially wouldn't trade anything for him. Also i think he is going to get cut soon so we could just sign him to a veteran minimum, but i would just take a flyer on him.

Ansy
11-03-2008, 05:32 PM
Steph is not a Blazer. All he does is create off the dribble. If you've watched the Blazers this year it's clear we need less one-on-one creation, not more. We need ball movement, unselfishness and defense.

Plus, after his experience being snubbed, I'm betting he wants to prove he's still got it; in his mind this has always meant dribbling around for 20 seconds and making a play at the last second.

celticfan
11-03-2008, 06:02 PM
I think Bayless should be the starting point guard and will be in a couple of years

brevinknight
11-03-2008, 08:03 PM
The thing about the blazers offense last year was they had martell webster and james jones to spread the court out, not jones is in miami hurt, and webster went down with his foot. Webster will be back soon enough but to give him more oppurtunities to grow as a player i believe we need to get a guy just for 3's. Martell will shot them good but he really improved last year with jones able to help him out.

jnb58
11-04-2008, 11:46 AM
I think Bayless should be the starting point guard and will be in a couple of years

Because...? Maybe in a couple years.

The thing about the blazers offense last year was they had martell webster and james jones to spread the court out, not jones is in miami hurt, and webster went down with his foot. Webster will be back soon enough but to give him more oppurtunities to grow as a player i believe we need to get a guy just for 3's. Martell will shot them good but he really improved last year with jones able to help him out.

Rudy is knocking them down this year. His 3pt shooting is 40%.

I wouldn't touch Marbury the same way I thought Francis would be a terrible addition. I don't like score first PGs.

A.Mopp
11-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Steph is not a Blazer. All he does is create off the dribble. If you've watched the Blazers this year it's clear we need less one-on-one creation, not more. We need ball movement, unselfishness and defense.

Plus, after his experience being snubbed, I'm betting he wants to prove he's still got it; in his mind this has always meant dribbling around for 20 seconds and making a play at the last second.

I agree. I wouldn't want a pg who is trigger/dribble happy and has something to prove. That is just asking for trouble.

11-05-2008, 02:27 PM
how bout lafrents for marbury? both come off the books this summer. mcmilian will be able to keep marbury in line. plus marbury will be coming in knowing that its roy/aldridge/oden's team. he is just there to help. think that will cause him to have a positive attitude about the game.

A.Mopp
11-05-2008, 03:25 PM
how bout lafrents for marbury? both come off the books this summer. mcmilian will be able to keep marbury in line. plus marbury will be coming in knowing that its roy/aldridge/oden's team. he is just there to help. think that will cause him to have a positive attitude about the game.

That doesn't work number wise. Reaf only makes 13 mil(*shutters*) and Marbury bakes 21 mil. there is an 8 mil difference.

jnb58
11-05-2008, 04:14 PM

No one can keep 'bury in line. He fills a stat sheet very well. But he bails when the going gets tough and he doesn't care about winning (never won a playoff series).

He bailed on Garnett when he didn't like his role and demanded a trade.
Feuded with:
McHale
Isiah
Larry Brown
Donnie Walsh

If he is so good, why has he been on so many teams? He is a GREAT street baller but not a team basketball player.