PDA

View Full Version : Is Dwight better than Zo was?

sp1derm00
11-03-2008, 05:11 AM
Dwight obviously can board better than Zo, but Zo was a shot blocking MONSTER and could score better than Dwight can and shoot free throws better than Dwight can.

Dwight's FG% is obviously higher because of the sheer number of dunks he gets... but Zo had better offensive moves than Dwight.

I think I've gotta go with Zo. Before his health troubles, the man was a BEAST. Good number of boards, good offensive game, good FT shooter, GREAT shot blocker... the ONLY knock on his game was his passing ability.

Lakersfan2483
11-03-2008, 05:23 AM
At this point, I think Zo was better at D. Howard's age. Both are terrific rebounders and defenders, but Zo was a better offensive player, if you were to compare the two at the same age. It's close, but I would have to go with Zo.

*Back in the day, Zo was a game-changer on defense. He would shut the middle down.

pete_one
11-03-2008, 05:35 AM
gotta go with Zoe, he had a nice mid range j too

LakerzDQ
11-03-2008, 06:27 AM
Alonzo Mourning for now. he was better than Dwight defensively, and better offensively as well. Dwight is stronger and gets more rebounds/dunks, but Alonzo was still the better player.

Dwight has potential though. with his athleticism, anything is possible.

amare#1
11-03-2008, 07:07 AM
Zo for now. Dwight should have a better career though.

JayW_1023
11-03-2008, 07:59 AM
Zo in his prime was still better...more polished on offense and better on defense. I won't be long till Dwight becomes better though. He has already shown a much smoother post game this year.

stawka
11-03-2008, 08:49 AM
Zo in his prime was an absolute joke. You could not get into the lane and take a clear shot with Zo there. He either swatted it and embarrassed you, or he changed the shot.

Zo also had better post moves then Dwight and got it done more. I expect Dwight to take his post moves a little more seriously and work on them more, if he wants to be considered one of the all-time greats

JordansBulls
11-03-2008, 09:01 AM
I would take Zo as well. I actually think he would have been better had he been playing PF instead. He was 6' 10" and 240-260 at Center. He was a bit undersized in the 90's at that position.

Chronz
11-03-2008, 03:02 PM
I feel like you guys are overrating Zo's post game, he was never much of a back to the basket player, his body wasnt really built for that style of play. His face up game was always his bread and butter as he really struggled passing out of double teams when he did post up, he just couldnt see the floor well and while Zo has his height to blame for that, Dwight has no one to blame but himself so that aspect doesnt really impact my decision. Zo is one of my All-Time favorite players and by far my favorite competitor but Dwight is going to be so much better than him.

In his prime obviously you take Zo, very few centers can claim to have bumped Shaq out of an All-League 1st team selection during his prime and Zo is one of them. At one point he was the best bigman in the league, even if only for a moment in time. But as far as their development curve gos, Dwight at 22 was better than Zo at 22 who was a rookie at this time.

JordansBulls
11-03-2008, 03:03 PM
I feel like you guys are overrating Zo's post game, he was never much of a back to the basket player, his body wasnt really built for that style of play. His face up game was always his bread and butter as he really struggled passing out of double teams when he did post up due to his lack of height, he couldnt see the floor well. Zo is one of my All-Time favorite players and by far my favorite competitor but Dwight is going to be so much better than him.

In his prime obviously you take Zo, very few centers can claim to have bumped Shaq out of an All-League 1st team selection during his prime and Zo is one of them. At one point he was the best bigman in the league, even if only for a moment in time. But as far as their development curve gos, Dwight at 22 was better than Zo at 22 who was a rookie at this time.

Zo was 21 and 10 and 3.5 bpg as a rookie.

Chronz
11-03-2008, 03:11 PM
Zo was 21 and 10 and 3.5 bpg as a rookie.

Its close man, its hard to choose but I feel Dwight has a greater presence in the paint and opens up the floor for his shooters better than Zo ever did. Statistically they are similar though Dwight trumps him in every aspect, and their defensive value is in Zo's favor. You just cant go wrong saying either one is better at age 22.

SwaggaIke
11-03-2008, 03:15 PM
Zo has a better post game at 37 than Dwight has now.

IndyRealist
11-03-2008, 03:22 PM
Zo had a better all around game. He also played PF with Robert Parish playing C. There's a reason he's recovered from surgery and major illness and teams STILL want him.

I miss the Charlotte Hornets, that was a great team. Mugsy Bogues, Kendall Gill, Larry Johnson (Grand-mama!), Zo and Parish.

Lakersfan2483
11-03-2008, 03:50 PM
I would take Zo as well. I actually think he would have been better had he been playing PF instead. He was 6' 10" and 240-260 at Center. He was a bit undersized in the 90's at that position.

Agree.

Chronz
11-03-2008, 04:46 PM
Zo has a better post game at 37 than Dwight has now.

Are you trying to prove how insignificant having a post game is?

_Sn1P3r_
11-03-2008, 05:19 PM
Zo for now.

dgo24
11-03-2008, 07:35 PM
I would take ZO anytime.

MiamiHeat
11-03-2008, 07:39 PM
Zo right now, but eventually Howard will improve he is very young still in his NBA career

Musiq
11-03-2008, 08:12 PM
Zo had way more skills, especially offensively in the post; that says alot since he was more known for his defense...definitely one of my favourite players of all time

Dwight has the size & strength advantage amongst his peers in such a watered-down league lacking quality centers

Lakers4ItAll
11-03-2008, 08:52 PM
It is too early to tell

Hawkeye15
11-03-2008, 09:02 PM
I think they are very comparable. And that is not a slight at Howard. Zo was a better defender with a chip on his shoulder, but Howard is a better athlete. They are very similar though. Zo was awesome, he had John Thompson to teach him on the post, so he is slightly above Dwight at this stage, but Dwight is an unreal athlete